Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:23 PM
aarantes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks! Yeah it took FOREVER for STS to ship my kit out but it finally arrived at forged. Mine goes in on monday to start getting it installed...Let me know if it did anything.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Cube

Ahhh I'm still waiting patiently... did you go with the basic kit routed down the center? $5495 or so?

I went side-routed with no intercooler. Gonna sell the turbo and get one from AMS along with an intercooler. Only $4445 for the whole kit w/out IC... but after selling the turbo and gettin a new one along with a custom IC expanded to as big as a FMIC that'll fit in my bumper I'll probably end up with a total price of ~$5500 anyways. (with better turbo and IC that is)
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM
aarantes

I got the down the side one since my car isnt lowered and roads arent bad in GA. I got the whole kit for 4800 so I cant really complain about the wait.

How much psi you planning on runnin isnt your engine built?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM
athenG

/\Great let see how another great tuner can do with this kit But be ready for your heart to be broken once you strap that to Sharif's Dyno

I know Sharif know this already but you need to warm up the car/turbo before you start doing any dyno coz you'll be disappointed on the first few run if the car was sitting for a while.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 PM
aarantes

Haha yeah his heartbreaker dyno should be interesting but dont worry there is always a dynojet around the conner to get my hopes up.

If he doesnt know I will tell him I live 10 mins from his shop so I will be there alot checking up on the project.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Cube

Ahhh how'd you get it for $4800? They charged me $4995 for the down-the-side kit... did you have to pay shipping ontop of that?

I plan on goin about 12 psi most likely... for now.

I want to keep it basic for a lil while, see how my tranny holds up, then maybe later next year up it to 14-15 psi with water/meth inj.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 PM
aarantes

Nope it was 4800 shipped but Chris ended up overcharging me and has been promising a refund for 2 weeks. I just emailed him and asked about the $4995 price and he said that he had one left, which he would let go for $4805 shipped but I wasnt suppose to tell anyone.

Yeah tranny is a problem but I wonder what this kit will be able to do at 12 psi?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:28 AM
DanielW
Banned

but you told anyway
Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by danielwebb
but you told anyway
another leak hehehe Those are test kit so it is not top secret, plus they were selling this for 4995 shipped before.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by athenG
another leak hehehe Those are test kit so it is not top secret, plus they were selling this for 4995 shipped before.
Yeah, but he sold me mine at $4995 and then went and sold one either right before that or right after that at $4805

Oh well. I just got the raw deal on that one I guess. There couldn't have been more than a week between those sales. What did he actually end up "over-charging" you though?

2 weeks ago is right about the time I ordered mine...

What are these "few bolt-ons" your sig refers to?

Oh and those of you doing header wrap... you're not actually wrapping the headers are you? I think I'm going to start header-wrap from the test pipes back since the headers will probably crack.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
aarantes

He charged me the 4995 instead of 4805. Yeah I would be mad to if I was in your situation.

Crank pulley, Spacer, Test pipes and 3 inch piping all the way back that will hook up to the turbo piping. I want to see what effect the bigger piping will have on the spool time/power.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 PM
athenG

I guess he was promised to get the kit for 4800 but on paper he was charged 4995 Hope you get that $200 coz that can help a little.

Cube,
What Turbo did you get or will be getting and what made you pick it? By the way it is getting cold now here in NY so I'm already playing with the Temp Compensation, Utec just has to much gap to get this thing right.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Cube

Cube,
What Turbo did you get or will be getting and what made you pick it? By the way it is getting cold now here in NY so I'm already playing with the Temp Compensation, Utec just has to much gap to get this thing right.
I went with the basic TO4E60 O Trim .58 AR housing turbo that comes with the standard kit and no intercooler. I'm going to sell the turbo and my brother is gonna help me size out a proper turbo for what I'm aiming for and he's also going to make me an intercooler to fit. The turbo will be from:
http://www.precisionturbo.net/

So basically, they're made by Garrett We'll be able to use absolutely ANY turbo size Garrett makes, we'll just have to decide which one won't be too laggy. I'm probably gonna get a flash to raise the rev limit to 7,100 though to compensate for any lag I do get.

Since I'm gonna be dishing out for an AMS job on this with IC + turbo and any custom fabrication needed to make it all fit, should I bug Chris to see why I couldn't get the special deal either? He told me I got the last of those kits... that someone had originally claimed it but didn't follow through so there was that 1 left. Only reason I'm upset is because it seems like they're telling everybody that to try and rush them into ordering it (I was a little rushed by that statement of it being the last kit).

Last edited by Cube; 09-16-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:00 AM
athenG

You already bought/payed for the kit so it is hard to do any bargaining

Let us know what turbo and also how it perform, granted you have a built engine but do you think your low comp. piston will give you a little lag than a stock one?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Cube

You already bought/payed for the kit so it is hard to do any bargaining

Let us know what turbo and also how it perform, granted you have a built engine but do you think your low comp. piston will give you a little lag than a stock one?
I could always just re-sell the kit if I'm that upset over it And go with a custom setup in the engine bay where I won't have to worry about flooding and snow

But of course I'll update, and as far as lower compression and thus less exhaust pressure... I don't know nearly enough about compression ratio to make that call. I don't know what the ECU is doing to compensate for the lower compression ratio, or how much air is being inducted versus stock CR and all those other factors.

Fuel will get burned through a hot exhaust either way...
Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cube
I won't have to worry about flooding and snow

you guys kill me with those comments
Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by Sub zero
you guys kill me with those comments
Ummm when I meant flood, I meant... Virginia floods.

I was once in my friend's Scion tC and he basically forded through a small river in a parking lot with water running up his hood to his windshield wipers. If you tell me I have nothing to worry about with an intake situated this low you're insane.

I know ALL ABOUT the damage to turbo, flooding intake, somebody stealing the turbo, road debris hitting it debate, and it IS still susceptible to flooding regardless of what you want to say.

Some reply with "yeah you'd have to completely submerge the filter," but that's NOT hard in Virginia buddy.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I was also driving with my friend from South Carolina to Chicago in his Lexus LS, at one point he was literally sliding on the snow like a sled. The snow was packed and still too deep for his wheels to touch the road, so we slid on the underside of the car with small streaks in the trail we left matching up to various suspension parts

Last edited by Cube; 09-16-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you already "KNOW" what kind of weather you are going to be facing why not use a beater truck?......buddy
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 AM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by Cube
I went with the basic TO4E60 O Trim .58 AR housing turbo that comes with the standard kit and no intercooler. I'm going to sell the turbo and my brother is gonna help me size out a proper turbo for what I'm aiming for and he's also going to make me an intercooler to fit. The turbo will be from:
http://www.precisionturbo.net/

So basically, they're made by Garrett We'll be able to use absolutely ANY turbo size Garrett makes, we'll just have to decide which one won't be too laggy. I'm probably gonna get a flash to raise the rev limit to 7,100 though to compensate for any lag I do get.

Since I'm gonna be dishing out for an AMS job on this with IC + turbo and any custom fabrication needed to make it all fit, should I bug Chris to see why I couldn't get the special deal either? He told me I got the last of those kits... that someone had originally claimed it but didn't follow through so there was that 1 left. Only reason I'm upset is because it seems like they're telling everybody that to try and rush them into ordering it (I was a little rushed by that statement of it being the last kit).
I told you man that chris guy is a sheister
Old 09-16-2007, 10:45 AM
aarantes

Yeah I didnt like that chris guy at all... I tried to reach him for 4 days before he answered like 10 calls and 4 or 5 emails. But he sure was quick to answer when I called to make my purchase

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread