Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:32 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hhhmmm the last one is TegraRacer134 getting a new tune.

TegraRacer134 and DanielW, here's a quote from Hydrazine regarding a big Temp drop with a TP from this thread

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/321945-exhaust-temperatures-anyone-want-to-guess.html

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
NA exhaust is about 760'C at the outlet of the manifold and drops to about 450'C at the inlet of the Y pipe.

The measured temperature drop occured through 2.25" unresonated test pipes with no heat wrap.

Its a very large and rapid temperature drop over a very short distance.
We have been discussing on what is best to keep the Temp inside the exhaust to keep the velocity in our exhaust. I think you guys with a TP should put some Heat Wrap and see if your Boost Spool improve. I'll be doing this once the weather get warmer in NY.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 AM
DanielW
Banned

I'm going to be getting my entire exhaust coated in HPC 56% coating at some point in the near future and then hopefully getting retuned at performance factory. I'm hoping to improve spool time and maybe pick up 10 or so horsepower
Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
App6MT

Anyone have the idea of doing dual all the way back and then have the exhaust come together right before entering the turbo?

I don't even know if that would buy you anything in terms of gains.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by App6MT
Anyone have the idea of doing dual all the way back and then have the exhaust come together right before entering the turbo?

I don't even know if that would buy you anything in terms of gains.
Wouldn't that increase the total surface area of the exhaust pipe, leading to a greater potential loss of heat to spool the turbo? Just speculating.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by DanielW
I'm going to be getting my entire exhaust coated in HPC 56% coating at some point in the near future and then hopefully getting retuned at performance factory. I'm hoping to improve spool time and maybe pick up 10 or so horsepower

Do you think HPC will keep the heat inside better than Hear Wrap? Bottling all the heat will be very helpful especially for people who have the new piping.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by goosegoose
Wouldn't that increase the total surface area of the exhaust pipe, leading to a greater potential loss of heat to spool the turbo? Just speculating.

Sure I agree with what you're saying, I wasn't sure if it would increase (or possibly decrease) velocity.

I'm a FI noob.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
Do you think HPC will keep the heat inside better than Hear Wrap? Bottling all the heat will be very helpful especially for people who have the new piping.
How about doing everything? HPC inside and outside, and heat wrap them to finish. Is there any drawback to keeping so much heat in the pipes? Overkill maybe?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 AM
DanielW
Banned

I think tony from motrsyne hit the nail on the head. I think the heat wrap is going to be the best in terms of keeping the heat in but It sounds like its going to be a nightmare to upkeep and that it'll eventually start to fall apart and possibly keep in moisture. Thats why I'm going with the HPC which I'm guessing is comparable to the jet hot
Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose
How about doing everything? HPC inside and outside, and heat wrap them to finish. Is there any drawback to keeping so much heat in the pipes? Overkill maybe?

haha, why not also add this:

/\ by the way that was Ahsmo's first idea since that is what they use ships.

I think this is going to be Rick@STS kinda question. Hotter gasses have more volume and STS Turbo uses a smaller A/R housing to compensate for the loss of volume and denser air. My guess is that the turbo might spool quicker but because of the higher volume and small A/F housing, that it might create more back pressure. Maybe a bigger wastegate can relieve some of the pressure and dump it outside...

The good thing is if you can bottle up enough heat all the way down to the Turbo then a bigger turbo/housing will probably a good thing if you want to upgrade for more power.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
WASHWIZ

My Tial BOV has locked up on me. Took it to Dave @ Functioned last night, and he confirmed this. He also said it is rare to see a Tial frozen like that. Funny thing is after driving for awhile it opened for a little then would not open again. I only have 1000 miles on this kit.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by DanielW
I think tony from motrsyne hit the nail on the head. I think the heat wrap is going to be the best in terms of keeping the heat in but It sounds like its going to be a nightmare to upkeep and that it'll eventually start to fall apart and possibly keep in moisture. Thats why I'm going with the HPC which I'm guessing is comparable to the jet hot

we are not talking about heat wrapping the Headers which is the hottest part of the exhaust. I had my Headers Heat wrapped for 5+ years on my Old Integra and never took it out until my car got stolen. But then again that was an aftermarket headers (RS*R) and not you OEM Headers.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:30 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by WASHWIZ
My Tial BOV has locked up on me. Took it to Dave @ Functioned last night, and he confirmed this. He also said it is rare to see a Tial frozen like that. Funny thing is after driving for awhile it opened for a little then would not open again. I only have 1000 miles on this kit.

It is rare but someone in G35driver also had a problem with BOV sticking. Is it because of the Colder Weather? I don't drive every day but my BOV hasnt failed on me here in NYC weather.

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193442
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
WASHWIZ

I'm gonna take it off this weekend and take a look. Yeah, it probably is the cold weather (29 degrees last night).
Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 AM
App6MT

I just called STS and talked to Chris for awhile. He quoted me $4995 for the side pipe style with a FMIC.

Probably gonna have to do this right after the new year...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
DanielW
Banned

Chris...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
App6MT

Yeah he seemed like a grade A douche. I talked to him and he had "2" kits left and I could have it for $4995.

I then talked to Bobby at CIN and we are gonna schedule something in February after I get my bonus.

What is funny though is I sent STS a message as soon as I got into work today. Some other guy called me regarding my email. He told me they had 1 kit and I could have it for $4500. Then he started trying to pressure me into reserving the kit now. I told him I'm already dealing with CIN and would prefer to go through them.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:55 PM
athenG

hahah, like I said, if you try hard you can get it cheaper. CIN's package is not bad at all so if you want a piece of mind then let them do it.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:26 PM
DanielW
Banned

yeah thats the issue that some people have had with chris. he is giving different pricing information to different people. I think he's trying to "extend" his comission or something. Its really unprofessional
Old 12-21-2007, 03:54 PM
App6MT

Originally Posted by athenG
hahah, like I said, if you try hard you can get it cheaper. CIN's package is not bad at all so if you want a piece of mind then let them do it.
Yeah I like CIN's setup and really, I honestly just want the peace of mind of having them do it. I originally contacted them wanting the kit but decided that it would be better for them to just do it just in case something happens

Has anyone played with the idea of having an exhaust shop make some custom tips? For some reason this is one of the top things I am thinking about doing first.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM
athenG

I'm lazy but you can search on this thread the Tip (Magnaflow Tip) me and Goosegoose have. I also have a pix of it on my thread in G35driver. The tip STS tip is 3" so you just go look for any tip that has a 3-3.25" inlet and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread