Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Brian Crower Cams..Setting The Bar!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgive me...we're east coast, and I'm not living on the forum after hours, I've got a life to tend to outside of work

No one is treating anyone like a 5 year old either....not sure where that even comes from.

There is no way for me to recommend a cam because we have no details on any part of your setup. What head work has been done (especially at the valves)? Have the heads been on a flowbench and if so, the results? What turbo(s)? What AR(s)? What are the specs/measurements on the exhaust manifold(s) being used? All these considerations are critical in determining the right cam for a particular application. Without using this information, you're basically just guessing.

It may turn out this is a great cam for you, or it may end up that it's not nearly enough, or even too "mild". The cam selection, and the head work to go with it, is the most difficult aspect of any engine build.

There are lots of good articles that can help you understand the role the cams play in the rest of the performance picture. If you're not familiar with all the ins and outs, these would give you a good basis to see how important the proper selection is. From there you'll be in a better position to see all the info you need to know before you select the cam that's right for your needs.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...cam/index.html

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ics/index.html

http://www.chevytalk.com/tech/101/Cam_Theory.html

http://www.chevytalk.com/tech/engine/Cam_Selection.html

hopefully the above is useful - I still refer back to these articles myself all time time for basics. There are far more advanced discussions that can be had as well, but the above will give you a really solid working knowledge to start with.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-30-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Forgive me...we're east coast, and I'm not living on the forum after hours, I've got a life to tend to outside of work

No one is treating anyone like a 5 year old either....not sure where that even comes from.

There is no way for me to recommend a cam because we have no details on any part of your setup. What head work has been done (especially at the valves)? Have the heads been on a flowbench and if so, the results? What turbo(s)? What AR(s)? What are the specs/measurements on the exhaust manifold(s) being used? All these considerations are critical in determining the right cam for a particular application. Without using this information, you're basically just guessing.

It may turn out this is a great cam for you, or it may end up that it's not nearly enough. The cam selection, and the head work to go with it, is the most difficult aspect of any engine build.

as i said ..dont take it the wrong way, but you werent saying anything(until now ), it was more like "why are you even asking ?", but anyways apreciate your input

anyways here you go

cases:
1) stock heads with bc stg2 cams

2) +1mm valves, jwt springs.... minor porting that=polishing stock heads

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 01-30-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I didn't take it personally...but jeez lighten up a bit. At 11 PM at night (now 12), even I need a break sometimes.

The above info you list isn't even remotely enough info to base a decision off of. You need to have the specific info, otherwise it's really just like picking a needle out of a haystack. I know it's not always common for an end user to have this info at their disposal, but this would be a case where it's critical to have the info, otherwise anyones suggestion or recommendation is essentially just a guess as I mentioned. I assume you guys are using an engine builder/machinist to assemble your motors. Whomever is the person actually doing this work for you should have the info available as a result of the work they are doing. That info, paired with the remaining details will give you a complete picture of what cam the engine wants and what you can expect.

I know everyone always wants the easy answer, as if there is some magic cam that doesn't care what all the other specifics are, but unfortunately, there is no such animal. Find the specifics out for your given scenarios and from there you'll be in a good position to make an educated decision, and get educated recommendations. Anyone telling you otherwise is literally blowing smoke up your ***.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-30-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would honestly look into the JWT C8.
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...INCL_REVUP.pdf

They are a 272s, but I guarantee JWT put more time and development into their cams over BC. I talked to Jim about the cam and he says it would work well in either FI or NA applications.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got some more info on our camshafts for you:

Originally Posted by GTMPOWER.COM

GT Motorsports® Turbo Spec camshafts for the VQ35DE

The GTM® Turbo Spec cams were designed by taking a complex set of variables into account. Turbocharger compressor maps and the flow characteristics of the VQ35DE were integral in developing the cam profile. The very specifications that were attained (following several revisions and countless computerized simulation trials) allow for the maximum possible volumetric efficiency over the broadest possible rpm range. Given the high exhaust manifold pressures (that exceed intake/boost pressures) found on turbocharged systems, volumetric efficiency, aside from duration/lift, is also dependent on internal exhaust gas recirculation, which is a function of intake/exhaust cam overlap. The specifications below minimize that overlap, while retaining the highest practical cam duration, to yield the highest possible performance.

Specifications

Stage1:
Intake: 256 deg (stock 238)
Exhaust: 264 deg (stock 240)
Lift: 0.423” (intake and exhaust)
Overlap: 18 deg (at 0.045” lift) – less than stock

Stage 2:
272 degrees @ .012”
232 degrees @.050”
11.00mm Valve lift intake and exhaust

Stage 3:
288 degrees @ .012”
245 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm Valve lift intake and exhaust

GT Motorsports® Stage I NA/Supercharger Spec camshafts for the VQ35DE

The challenges of designing NA cams are much different from turbo cams. Much greater emphasis was placed on intake resonance, which has proportionally greater effect on performance than on turbocharged vehicles. Our research showed that to maximize volumetric efficiency, an asymmetrical lift for intake and exhaust was required, in addition to the asymmetrical cam duration. It was also found that a higher lift on the intake side paired with a slightly lower exhaust side lift, achieved the greatest performance gain on the broadest possible rpm range. Higher overlap in this case is possible, as reversion is not as much of an issue.

Specifications

Stage1:
Intake: 264 deg (stock 238)
Exhaust: 256 deg (stock 240)
Lift: 0.435” (intake) and 0.423” (exhaust)
Overlap: 22 deg (at 0.045” lift) – more than stock

Stage 2:
282/272 degrees @ .012”
240/232 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm/11.00mm Valve lift (intake/exhaust)

Stage 3:
302/292 degrees @ .012”
256/250 degrees @ .050”
11.50mm/11.00mm Valve lift (intake/exhaust)

Note: the cams are cut from chill cast billet (same as the OEM Nissan camshafts) and ground on factory centerline for perfect precision.
Hope this helps,

-George
GT Motorsports

Last edited by GTM; 01-30-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Got some more info on our camshafts for you:

Hope this helps,

-George
GT Motorsports
When will the stage 2 and 3 be available for the Revup engine.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 AM
ForcefedZ

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Bump.

Anyone else with BC Stage 2 cams installed that can offer any feedback and reviews??? Is this still the most promising cam for pulling past 7000RPM?

Here is a dyno graph spun out to 8300rpm

-Greddy TT kit
-stock head except BC STG2 camshafts
-stock intake manifold, and throttle body

100mph = 5800rpms
149mph = 8300rpms

Last edited by Mike Wazowski; 06-20-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ

-Greddy TT kit

100mph = 5800rpms
149mph = 8300rpms

....(and all of the replys)

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 01-31-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:59 AM
IIQuickSilverII

I didn't take it personally...but jeez lighten up a bit. At 11 PM at night (now 12), even I need a break sometimes.

The above info you list isn't even remotely enough info to base a decision off of. You need to have the specific info, otherwise it's really just like picking a needle out of a haystack. I know it's not always common for an end user to have this info at their disposal, but this would be a case where it's critical to have the info, otherwise anyones suggestion or recommendation is essentially just a guess as I mentioned. I assume you guys are using an engine builder/machinist to assemble your motors. Whomever is the person actually doing this work for you should have the info available as a result of the work they are doing. That info, paired with the remaining details will give you a complete picture of what cam the engine wants and what you can expect.

I know everyone always wants the easy answer, as if there is some magic cam that doesn't care what all the other specifics are, but unfortunately, there is no such animal. Find the specifics out for your given scenarios and from there you'll be in a good position to make an educated decision, and get educated recommendations. Anyone telling you otherwise is literally blowing smoke up your ***.
yeah i realized it was late for you sorry...
so giving all of those variables that you just said....lets make it a Lil more easier then... STOCK heads... build bottom ...all u wanna do is add cams, what do you suggest?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:11 AM
weelman1

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ

-Greddy TT kit

100mph = 5800rpms
149mph = 8300rpms
Thats sick
You got b@lls spinning to 8k on stock springs
Bc states these cams are good to 7800rpms you just shed some light on those cams. Iam glad Iam getting them with the GTM springs
Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yeah i realized it was late for you sorry...
so giving all of those variables that you just said....lets make it a Lil more easier then... STOCK heads... build bottom ...all u wanna do is add cams, what do you suggest?

I don't want to be rude, but again, you need to fill in all the blanks from the questions above. Without all that info, it's really a meaningless conversation. I'd really recommend you consult your engine builder as he can better fill in the blanks with the details you provide him

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-31-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
IIQuickSilverII

I don't want to be rude, but again, you need to fill in all the blanks from the questions above. Without all that info, it's really a meaningless conversation. I'd really recommend you consult your engine builder as he can better fill in the blanks with the details you provide him
No worries ill try to be more specific
i know what i am personally suing...mainly trying to see what you would recomend for most users(just adding cams to stock valvetrain).

There is no way for me to recommend a cam because we have no details on any part of your setup. What head work has been done (especially at the valves)?
Stock heads
Have the heads been on a flowbench and if so, the results?
stock heads
What turbo(s)? What AR(s)? What are the specs/measurements on the exhaust manifold(s) being used?
case a) greddy tt kit with 18gs
case b) stock ex-manifolds w/ gt35r .82 ar
Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I'd sooner spend the money massaging the stock heads, especially at the valve seat area and ports, vs using any cam on an otherwise stock head - your money would go way further.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:37 AM
ForcefedZ

I'd sooner spend the money massaging the stock heads, especially at the valve seat area and ports, vs using any cam on an otherwise stock head - your money would go way further.

The stock VQ35 heads flow better then "some" ported 2JZ heads. I'll see if I can dig up some actual data for comparison. Everything needs work together like you're saying. No sense in having a radical cam, if the valve seats are pruding .1/4'" in to the port But that doesn't seem to be the case with the VQ35 heads.

Last edited by ForcefedZ; 01-31-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:40 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

An honest answer from someone that does sell cams, but probably does not sell head work or engine machining.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 AM
thawk408

I dont see why it is so hard to answer the question. Maybe if someone was going for a custom grind, but hell it is not like there is a ton of off the shelf options out there. If you plan on reving it out a good bit, then you need a decently sized cam. I wouldnt put in a 264 then try and make power to 8k....
Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by __jb
An honest answer from someone that does sell cams, but probably does not sell head work or engine machining.
correct we dont offer any engine building/machining services of any kind
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM
IIQuickSilverII

werd...but...... ok what CAMS would you recomend ... with the Cosworth heads then:
Originally Posted by cosworth website
CNC Ported/machine finished ports - New OE Castings

Hand blended finish work

Intake 19% Increased Flow (max)

Exhaust 22% Increased Flow (max)

4-angle Inlet Valve job

3-angle & radiused Exhaust Valve job

Valves are lapped

Back-Cut Inlet Valves

Heads are Ultra Sonic cleaned prior to assembly

Heads are Serialized and sport a machined Cosworth logo

+1mm Stainless Steel Intake Valves (1800 degrees max.)

+1mm Inconel Exhaust Valves (2400 degrees max.)

Performance Valve Springs

Titanium Retainers

Hardened Steel Spring Platforms

Knife Edge port divider

using:
case a) greddy tt kit with 18gs
case b) stock ex-manifolds w/ gt35r .82 ar
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

like I said, I would recommend you consult with your machinist. I've never had a set of Cosworth heads on a flow bench to know what they do (the info provided above is very vague, really doesn't say anything, and rightfully so..if I were Cosworth selling my own heads, I wouldn't reveal all the specs either).

Don't take this as me dancing around the question, I'm not - the easy answer of "just use xx brand" doesn't exist and the person best equipped to make such an important recommendation is an engine builder.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like I said, I would recommend you consult with your machinist. I've never had a set of Cosworth heads on a flow bench to know what they do (the info provided above is very vague, really doesn't say anything, and rightfully so..if I were Cosworth selling my own heads, I wouldn't reveal all the specs either).

Don't take this as me dancing around the question, I'm not - the easy answer of "just use xx brand" doesn't exist and the person best equipped to make such an important recommendation is an engine builder.
Here you go!

http://www.cosworth.com/uploads/1147892186.pdf

Now can you answer the question??? LOL!!!

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 01-31-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Brian Crower Cams..Setting The Bar!!