Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Questions About Water Methanol Alcohol Injection - Post Them Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
You said this was 2 years ago? I swear I had multiple discussion with Coolingmist about incorporating the RPM but they said it wasn't yet available. They did say it's coming but I couldn't wait. This was around January of 2008. My second option was Aquamist but I didnt want to spend 1K for it at that time.
I looked up the invoice. I purchased the kit June 6, 2008.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 PM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I looked up the invoice. I purchased the kit June 6, 2008.
do you mind telling us how much it cost for the complete set?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

do you mind telling us how much it cost for the complete set?
$799.96 + $20 shipping. I think that only included one of the high speed valves and I bought the second one later. Also, I just recently added the 6x manifold.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
athenG

/\ thanks. Are the 6x manifold a direct spray for every cylinder? That is awesome because it gives you equal distribution of meth on every cylinder.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

+1...Aquamist dosen't have much of a website...interested in the 6x maniforld...

/\ thanks. Are the 6x manifold a direct spray for every cylinder? That is awesome because it gives you equal distribution of meth on every cylinder.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Yes. Here is the web page: http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...=6portmanifold
Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

problem with direct port is if something goes wrong (like the pump/solenoid gets stuck open), there's no way to stop meth from flooding your engine. At least in the charge pipe, the TB is closed. It would probably take the moons to align to hit that scenario.....

I would definitely add a manual master on/off switch on a direct port.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:39 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
problem with direct port is if something goes wrong (like the pump/solenoid gets stuck open), there's no way to stop meth from flooding your engine. At least in the charge pipe, the TB is closed. It would probably take the moons to align to hit that scenario.....

I would definitely add a manual master on/off switch on a direct port.
I have a manual master on/off switch. Also my system uses the high speed valves. Default position is off. It actually takes power to keep them open, much like a fuel injector. So, although the scenario that you present is not impossible, I think it is about as likely to happen as a fuel injector getting stuck wide open and flooding a cylinder.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort

What has been your luck with the valve seals?

I had this system on my Z for about a week and the solenoid valves started to leak through. And because the system design tries to keep the plumbing system primed at pressure, it always leaked. Every five minutes the electric pump would turn on for about 1-2 seconds to re-prime the system. And it did this constantly.

I had to remove the system because it got so bad. I didn't even get a chance to tune it because it went out so quickly.

Just plain old water/meth....
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
What has been your luck with the valve seals?

I had this system on my Z for about a week and the solenoid valves started to leak through. And because the system design tries to keep the plumbing system primed at pressure, it always leaked. Every five minutes the electric pump would turn on for about 1-2 seconds to re-prime the system. And it did this constantly.

I had to remove the system because it got so bad. I didn't even get a chance to tune it because it went out so quickly.

Just plain old water/meth....
Mine have not leaked. But, so far it has only been tested to make sure it is fully functional and operational (i.e., testing the F-CON inputs, outputs, flow rate vs rpm/boost, boost controller auto shutoff, auto map changes, etc.). I never got a chance to get the motor tuned with meth before I destroyed my motor. The new motor should be in hopefully before the end of June, so hopefully I can get the meth tune sometime this summer. Also, they have a new recirculating pump that came out, and I upgraded to that. Still, during all the testing and adjustments, the system probably ran for many hours, but I never detected any leaks. I noticed that Coolingmist no longer has the same valves available, and I think a new design is being looked at. Maybe experiences like yours have something to do with the changes.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 05-28-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Terry,

Before you reconnect your system, check the solenoid valves to see if the innards are rusted out. You can unscrew the knurled stainless ring holding the solenoid to the valve body.

I found one of the internal poppets was corroded/rusted by the water meth mix..... this is kind of ridiculous considering that it is supposed to be flowing a water/meth mix.

It was odd because there are two valve poppets per valve body. One poppet was corroded and the other was not. Makes me wonder if they were having QC issues with the poppet material/alloy.

Check your valves to see if they have the same thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony, do you have the high speed valves as well? CM told me they dont even use those anymore. I have the regular solenoids and no issues. Just have use the pump to progressively control the spray bc the solenoid would just freeze pulsing that fast.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 AM
marcelz

i have my aquamist hfs-6 system installed but when ever i turn off the ignition.the nozzle will spary for 1 sec, is the normal??
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Tony, do you have the high speed valves as well? CM told me they dont even use those anymore. I have the regular solenoids and no issues. Just have use the pump to progressively control the spray bc the solenoid would just freeze pulsing that fast.
Yes, they were the high speed valves. That is what attracted me to the system in the first place. The high speed yeilds smaller injection pulse widths, more control and greater repeatability.

At least the concept looked good on paper.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Terry,

Before you reconnect your system, check the solenoid valves to see if the innards are rusted out. You can unscrew the knurled stainless ring holding the solenoid to the valve body.

I found one of the internal poppets was corroded/rusted by the water meth mix..... this is kind of ridiculous considering that it is supposed to be flowing a water/meth mix.

It was odd because there are two valve poppets per valve body. One poppet was corroded and the other was not. Makes me wonder if they were having QC issues with the poppet material/alloy.

Check your valves to see if they have the same thing.
Thank you for the heads up, Tony. I'll check those.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by marcelz
i have my aquamist hfs-6 system installed but when ever i turn off the ignition.the nozzle will spary for 1 sec, is the normal??
LOL - no! Responded to your PM. For others, the aquamist uses a clever scheme for detecting IPW of the fuel injectors, but this means you must tap exactly the correct wires for power and fuel injector + and - leads.

marcelz, I tapped the fusebox in the driver's side footwell for the 12v line feeding the injectors (for my 2004 G35) and used that to power the control unit and provide the +12v signal for the injector sensing. This lead gets power slightly later than ignition +12v for example, so it can cause problems during start up like you describe (because the control unit thinks the voltage differential is caused by the injector firing).

Do all your testing with a nozzle taped up to your windshield so you can see that everything is working ok.

Last edited by rcdash; 05-28-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
marcelz

do you guys have black smoke issue??my afr is at mid 12 after the tune but alot black smoke coming out from 4000-6000 rpm..
Old 05-29-2010, 07:04 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Well u didn't tell me that in the PM. So not running rich. Could be oil I guess. I don't think it has anything to do with methanol, other than it is perhaps cleaning out all your carbon deposits?

Methanol will contaminate the oil - so best to change frequently.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

It is also possible that tooo much water/meth is being injected. Causing a wash out of the oil on the cylinder walls.

Over spraying can prematurely wear out the rings and result in excessive oil consumption.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

It is also possible that tooo much water/meth is being injected. Causing a wash out of the oil on the cylinder walls.

Over spraying can prematurely wear out the rings and result in excessive oil consumption.
With regard to the amount of meth being injected, a second fuel map should be used to cut back on the gasoline flow rate and keep the AFR in check. If you just inject meth without adjusting the fuel map, it will run rich, and if you run too rich you will indeed wash the cylinders. Nonetheless, if you cut back on the gasoline flow as the meth flow is increased and keep the AFR in an appropriate range, cylinder washing should not be an issue.

With respect to the amount of water being injected, the rule of thumb that I have heard is no more than about 15% of the gasoline flow rate.

Quick Reply: Questions About Water Methanol Alcohol Injection - Post Them Here