Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

haltech vs. proefi

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:28 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default haltech vs. proefi

ok, an ecu is my next and final purchase to finish of the second build of my car. would like to see (and others i am assuming) the pro's and cons of each of these units compared to eachother.
interested in future updates also and the realistic time span for them and ofcourse, presently available functions. so hal and chris, start sellin, hahhaa. i WILL be buying one of these in a week or so. hopefully this will help get compared info out for others also. thanks

Last edited by overZealous1; 11-30-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 PM
minus500
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent topic. I'd like to see how they compare and what functions each unit has compared to the other.
Specifically, how does the Level 1 Pro EFI compare to the Haltech as far as features and function? SP says that the Level 1 is comparable to the FCon while the level 2 is a true standalone. What features and functions does the Level 1 lack that the Level 2 has? I think SP should detail the comparison between other EMS and then differentiate between the Level 1 and 2 systems a little bit better. Props to Hal for giving the specifics of the Haltech in an organized fashion.

Last edited by minus500; 11-30-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Devil Z

Comparable to the F-Con iS? Stage 1 ProEFI is a Piggyback system?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Comparable to the F-Con iS? Stage 1 ProEFI is a Piggyback system?

No, comparable to a F-con Vpro or better.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:06 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by minus500
Excellent topic. I'd like to see how they compare and what functions each unit has compared to the other.
Specifically, how does the Level 1 Pro EFI compare to the Haltech as far as features and function? SP says that the Level 1 is comparable to the FCon while the level 2 is a true standalone. What features and functions does the Level 1 lack that the Level 2 has? I think SP should detail the comparison between other EMS and then differentiate between the Level 1 and 2 systems a little bit better. Props to Hal for giving the specifics of the Haltech in an organized fashion.
the level 1 is comparable to the vpro... as its a stand a lone but uses the stock ecu to control some basic funcions like traction control, cruise control, dbw similar to the v pro and halt....the level 2 will the completely independant, comes with build in dual wideband, and controls literally.
Both levels will have the adative VE feature which will pretty much tune it self for you ....your actual tunning time will be reduced from 3-5 hours to about 10-30 minutes ...the unit basically works just as an OE high end ECU
I think the problem will be your time line, not sure if the pro efi level 1 will be ready for you by the time you are looking to buy.
I am personally going with level2

REGARDLESS, you wont be dissapointed cuase the other 2 ems are top of the line anyways Id probably prefer the haltech over the v pro in your other ems options mainly because the haltech is not locked to hks pro dealers only...but its up to you and what your tuner feels confortable with.

do a quick search and check the "NEW EMS" thread for more info=]
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 AM
overZealous1

i already have dual widebands, so not sure if that would knock some dough off for me or just give me something to sell, lol. i could prolly wait a little longer to order it if needed.
i thought i remember at one point hal saying the haltech will have a traction control feature, which would be awesome to get a tuneable trac. control and totally defunk the stock one! but, not sure if that is vaporware that is a teaser that will never actually make it to a downloadable upgrade like some of the previous ecu's have promised things.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 AM
rb26ina240

Originally Posted by overZealous1
i already have dual widebands, so not sure if that would knock some dough off for me or just give me something to sell, lol. i could prolly wait a little longer to order it if needed.
i thought i remember at one point hal saying the haltech will have a traction control feature, which would be awesome to get a tuneable trac. control and totally defunk the stock one! but, not sure if that is vaporware that is a teaser that will never actually make it to a downloadable upgrade like some of the previous ecu's have promised things.
if you want total traction control you should also look into Motec M600. just a suggestion.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:33 AM
UnderPressure

Haltech is serious about this ECU and delivering on promises about additional features. The timeframe might draw out a bit but all the features discusses will be available within the next year.

The Platinum ECU PnP apps for other makes will start being released by Jan. with the release of the universal standalone slated for March 08 *hopefully* release. By then it should have all the bells and whistles.
Remember we're dealing with aussies here. They keep their word, but they're just a bit slow on things.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Again, here is a summary of some of the things that the Pro EFI can do:

Here are just a few of the reasons why you should use this unit:

12 Injector drivers - All with built in Injector drivers!! Perfect for a twin injector setup on the Supra!!

16 Coil Drivers - Yes 16!!! No more waste spark!!

32 Analog inputs!!! - There are 32 analog inputs which will be preconfigured for anything you want to do... I.E. plug in a fuel pressure sensor and it automatically activates the trims associated with it. Put a Nitrous pressure sensor on your car and the computer trims fuel accordingly to bottle pressure!! You can datalog everything imaginable!!

10 Low side driver outputs - You can configure these to do whatever you can imagine. Also these will all support 4+ amps each!!

Built in wideband!! - That says it all!!

True volumetric efficeincy - So things like injector and pressure changes don’t have to be calculated and multiple maps changed, it’s all done in the background by simply entering your injector size and base fuel pressure. Actually knowing the injector size and fuel pressure, this allows us to make instantanious feedback changes to things like fuel pressure not staying constant, without relying on the O2 sensor for delayed information. Changing fuel type is as simple as entering the stoichiametric ratio for the fuel used.

Fault coding – Check engine light will tell you fault codes to help diagnose problems. Actions can be assigned with the fault codes. I.E. low oil pressure triggers a fault code, and activates a low rpm limiter. O2 sensor faults will automatically turn off block learning and closed loop feedback. Also the fault codes will be the same as the original ECU!!!

Traction control – multiple comprehensive traction control strategies including defined wheel speed differential between driven and non-driven wheels.

True knock sensing capability with specific knock frequency detection based upon the specific engine being monitored.

Multiple failsafe conditions making it nearly impossible to damage your engine in the case of tuning errors or mechanical malfunctions. I.E. lean, and knock conditions can be used to turn off nitrous, shut down boost etc….

O.E.M. manufactured ECU’s – The ECU’s are built by an O.E. manufacturer, so all ecu are 100% tested for vibration, temperature, loading etc… BEFORE you install them into your vehicle. Pro EFI ECU’s are as reliable as the factory units you take out. No more being stranded on the side of the road, or waiting weeks or months to get and issue repaired with the confidence of rolling the dice.

Drive by wire capability!!

Nitrous control:

Up to 4 stages!!

Control by speed, time, gear etc.....

Just enter the number of jets, jet size and target a/f and it does the rest!!

Add a nitrous bottle pressure sensor and it adjusts accordingly to pressure!!

Unlike other ECU's, you can target different a/fs for Nitrous with this unit in closed loop, or open loop, since the computer is based soley on V.E. it doesn't rely on the O2 sensor for hitting the desired a/f ratio. It does this based upon volumetric efficiency and desired equivelency ratio. Therefore there is less work for the O2 to do in closed loop, eliminating the chance for lean spikes typical of running nitrous!!!!

Fuel pressure compensation:

With the simple addition of a fuel pressure sensor, the computer will monitor and compensate for various fuel pressure. Lets say that you have a pump that is tired and your fuel pressure is not rising 1-1 any more. The computer will know and add neccessary fuel. Also if the pressure really gets unstable causing the computer to add too much pulse width, it will trigger a check engine light. It can also be set to initiate fuel cut, turn off the boost control, shut off NOS and lower the rev limiter. These safe guards can be triggered by the fuel pressure alone, by O2 activity or a number of other things!!

Boost Control Strategies:

Will be able to utilize dual solenoids to control pressure to both the top and bottom ports on any wastegate. This will give you VERY accurate control!!

Will be able to control boost by speed.

Will be able to control boost by time. Therefore if you spin the tires, and the vehicle speed sensor puts the boost map into a zone for higher boost.... the computer will know that it is wrong and hold the boost down until a certain amount of time.

Will control boost based on traction control. Traction control will be based on wheel speed differential!!

This computer will also know what gear you are in by simply entering gear ratios from the service manual, rear end ratio and tire size!!

Lean condition safety features:

In the case of a lean condition under certain circumstances (IE load, time etc) the computer can be programmed to shut down nitrous, lower boost, initiate fuel cut, initiate a rev limiter for a programmed duration of time until safe conditions return. This can also then be programmed to throw a code and activate the check engine light.

Misfire detection:

No more guessing if you have a misfire. This computer will tell you which cylinder and how often it misfires!! Think about how valuable this will be!! You will know instantly when it is time for new plugs.... or a coil pack is going bad....etc!!

20 channel thermocouple capability:

Yep..... 20 channel!! Put one in every runner..... downpipe..... anywhere you can think of!! This is critical in tuning an engine to run exactly the same on every cylinder!!!

Now this is by no means all it can do. Because we have the master software, anything that you can think of reasonably, we can write, compile and then flash into the computer!!

I will get you the break down of the differences between level 1 and 2 soon!! Sorry Im at home now and that info is at work!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:02 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to confirm the Pro EFI comes in how many different versions? Stage 1 and Stage 2? or just stage 1?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:10 PM
IIQuickSilverII

level 1 & level 2
Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
level 1 & level 2
So what is being described above? (Level 2?)
What are the performance/technical differences?
What is the price difference?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:18 PM
ForcefedZ

We're in the process of trying to get one. I'm looking forward to testing out yet another system
Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the Haltech, but I have been very impressed with the speed, stability and robustness of the software and hardware. The support / customer service has also been fantastic. This is a good topic, but probably very few people can compare the two side by side. Perhaps no one at this point...
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM
ForcefedZ

Originally Posted by rcdash
I'm still learning the ins and outs of the Haltech, but I have been very impressed with the speed, stability and robustness of the software and hardware. The support / customer service has also been fantastic. This is a good topic, but probably very few people can compare the two side by side. Perhaps no one at this point...
The software is very nice, which makes tuning the unit a breeze. I also have to agree, tech support has been very good. When I had a few questions they were answered in a matter of hours. Great service from Injected Performance and Haltech.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 PM
Pilot_Z

OverZ-

I thought you bought that used F-Con from RRev....
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by Pilot_Z
OverZ-

I thought you bought that used F-Con from RRev....
naw, i am taking my own sweet time on my car and making this my last purchase. glad i did or i would have gone with the v-pro.
thanks for the details on the pro-efi unit sp. to ask again what was asked above, are those details for stage 1 or 2?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It is very difficult to compare the two units when we don't have a specific nailed down list of what the ProEFI stage1 will do.

Information like 12 injector drivers and 16 coil drivers does not help us for a number of reasons...
#1 How many of you Z owners plan to run dual injectors, or 16 coils?
#2 We still don't know what is "stage 1" or "stage 2".
The Haltech Platinum has 12 injector drivers as well (Connector A, position 7-12) but we have not focused on this considering it does not relate to 99% of the people looking for a Z ecu.

There have been many claims and rumors about the ProEFI which have not been made entirely clear. Some of which are being taken back, or moved to a future release. For example, the ability to remove the stock ECU, locked tuning, traction control, no need for tuning, etc. If it adjusts your tune automatically from wideband feedback (information it is gathering after it has occured), what happens when the wideband fails or calibration becomes off? Further more, it has been posted that the ProEFI comes with a wideband - but what brand/sensor? This could have a large impact on sensor life and accuracy.

Many things need to be made clear about the ProEFI stage 1 before it can be compared. In the end, it sounds like it will be another capable fuel, ignition, and cam timing controller. Thus far we have seen a lot of hype with little details and proof to back it up. Screenshots, third party reviews, etc have yet to be seen, though it sounds as if they are not far away.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:05 PM
IIQuickSilverII

So far what i know is that this unit has been succesfuly tested by intense, sound performance and i think john reaid has checked it out too and they are all very excited about it...
Some of the features you talk about being pushed back to a stage 2 its not something that is that far away. Its been posted in the supra forums also about how the features of level 2 aver been working flawlessly for a while, but the release day and pricing of that is not finalized yet.
Some more info also
Originally Posted by Sound Performance
I just talked with Jason, and I should have Supra kits in the next week or so. The initial release will be for guys that are local, and I can be close to make sure there are no issues. However I will stress that he has been testing these on cars for the past 6 months, and is not having any issues on multiple cars he is running right now. He just wants to be extra careful and not have any release issues like we have experienced in the past. The initial release for this year will include the following vehicles

Supra MKIV - manual trans ... auto to follow early next year with full line pressure control, lock up control, and all the hysterisis.

Nissan - 240 (all years), Skyline RB series (limited release), VQ series (350z,G35,Spec V)

1g Mistsubishi

Honda - 90's vehicles

First half of next year will add the following

Toyota lexus - 1999 and later vehicles, mainly IS300 and Scion TC/XB. I will be able to do plug n play for any of the late model Toyota/Lexus vehicles as well.

Ford Mustang EECV (1996 and up to 2004)

Porsche - models to be listed at a later date

BMW - models to be listed at a later date

We can run any of the LS series GM vehicles with a universal wiring harness.

Regarding the sensors and "if it fails" As its been said :
As for the O2 sensor question, I remember reading that it monitors the response of the o2 sensor, and this determines whether or not the o2 is working properly, if the response time slowes or stops, then the fault is triggered turning off the adaptive learning and feedback control. Ofcouse setting the CEL as well.

And about what brand:
NTK or Bosche sensor

Regarding a screen shot of the software...keep in mind this unit doesnt tune like others do..this is VE based.
More info form supra forums :
Originally Posted by Sound Performance
The reason there have been no screen shots posted is because the software will look nothing like that to the end user. The dealer is the only one that will get the current software. So why post shots of something you will never see anyway??? The standard user interface will not require the use of a laptop at all! How about the use of a palm or CE device to make adjustments? Your smart phone??? You aren't going to need to tune this ecu in the conventional way... remember it is adaptive. Once the targets are set (afr, idle, boost, etc....) the computer will constantly be making any needed adjustments. The only things the end user will ever really need to do is maybe select between a pump gas and race gas setting, boost setting, traction control sensitivity or slip amount, nitrous jetting changes... things like that. 90% of the customers I install an ecu on never WANT to ever touch it, they usually have to at some point becuase their are variables we can't always duplicate in the day or two tuning time we have, let alone extreme weather temperature swings. This system automatically compensates for those changes and automatically trims the appropriate tables...no mistakes to be made either accidentally or through a lack of understanding of what that table/option is used for. Make sense?

Remember the days when you had to get up off the couch to go change the channel on the t.v. or to turn up the volume? How about having to stand by the wall the phone was mounted on to talk... no cordless phones either. Well you probably don't because your all too young! Technology changes, and gone are the days of changing the dial at the t.v., or having to be connected to the wall through the phone line. Now adaptive AFTERMARKET computers have arrived.. no more driving around with a laptop connected to trim things here and there. It's the next generation in engine management!
With all this said. I agree its still pretty early to properly compare since both units are pretty new

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 12-02-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
So far what i know is that this unit has been succesfuly tested by intense, sound performance and i think john reaid has checked it out too and they are all very excited about it...
Some of the features you talk about being pushed back to a stage 2 its not something that is that far away. Its been posted in the supra forums also about how the features of level 2 aver been working flawlessly for a while, but the release day and pricing of that is not finalized yet.
Some more info also

Regarding the sensors and "if it fails" As its been said :
As for the O2 sensor question, I remember reading that it monitors the response of the o2 sensor, and this determines whether or not the o2 is working properly, if the response time slowes or stops, then the fault is triggered turning off the adaptive learning and feedback control. Ofcouse setting the CEL as well.

And about what brand:
NTK or Bosche sensor

Regarding a screen shot of the software...keep in mind this unit doesnt tune like others do..this is VE based.
More info form supra forums :

With all this said. I agree its still pretty early to properly compare since both units are pretty new

hmmm, john read will be doing the tuning on my car. i will talk to him more about it.

Quick Reply: haltech vs. proefi