Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Si TRIM VORTECH.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know my SI is hot to the touch when i get home from a drive. Never really had the SC blower working, before the bearings went so i dont have much of a comparison.

I know its definetely working harder bc we are seeing boost levels at 5-5.5k rpms that SC owners are seeing at redline.

Oil cooler is on the short list of immediate mods. My meth kit i'm sure helps alot with AIT (and like was mentioned wouldnt be seem by the UTEC since the AIT probe is before my spray nozzle) , but it doesnt cool the oil that feeds the blower.

Jet, is Sam still tuning yours?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 AM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jksstar
My blower did not seem to hot at all, it was warm but not bad at all. The AIT would stay low untill the upper RPMs (think it was around 5000 rpms) and then they jumped up.

Could you keep me updated with the AIT. I would like to know if its the S/C or something I did.
i will keep you posted. Sam should be making more pulls tonight after he installs my new belt. he mentioned he has to do the pulls after hours due to my exhaust being so loud. the techs in the shop would not deal with the noise. they are fabricating a "H" pipe into my exhaust to try and get the tone a little more melo and possibly add a little more tourqe.

Last edited by JET MECH; 02-11-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
sentry65
the burninator

hehe dude your exhaust has to be bonkers loud
test pipes on a NA Z is loud as hell
supercharged would be like especially if you reduced the big *** rear muffler

The H-pipe will probably bring a lot of the barking roar back into the sound. My APS exhaust sounded like *** before my X-pipe

yeah IMO you definitely want an H or X pipe - just something to connect the two sides. It'll end up being beneficial for the vortech

Last edited by sentry65; 02-11-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^So did his
Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had test pipes on my Z sounded like a fricken F1 car at wot. Sounded awsome way up high but otherwise was way too much.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:26 AM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JET MECH
i will keep you posted. Sam should be making more pulls tonight after he installs my new belt. he mentioned he has to do the pulls after hours due to my exhaust being so loud. the techs in the shop would not deal with the noise. they are fabricating a "H" pipe into my exhaust to try and get the tone a little more melo and possibly add a little more tourqe.
you should hear mine, open cut out

thanks, hope it works out for you.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your NX kit....is it a intercooler sprayer? If so whats the review on it?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
JET MECH

If this does not work out i am going to throw in the towel and start my engine build and go TT'S for sure!!!!!!
sentry65
the burninator

I think jksstar actually runs a nitrous shot on top of the vortech right?
iStan
ZR

^NoOOOOO, Don't leave me brother!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
jksstar

Originally Posted by Barzten1
Your NX kit....is it a intercooler sprayer? If so whats the review on it?
Its not a intercooler sprayer. I run a small shot with the Vortech

Originally Posted by sentry65
I think jksstar actually runs a nitrous shot on top of the vortech right?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM
sentry65
the burninator

If this does not work out i am going to throw in the towel and start my engine build and go TT'S for sure!!!!!!
I think you'll get it working
you might want to get water/meth injection sooner rather than later though.

I am kinda starting to wonder if the REVUP maybe isn't as ideal with the belt layout as a modified non-REVUP's though when pushed to the absolute extreme. If you can get it to not slip, you should be good.

Last edited by sentry65; 02-11-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM
JET MECH

I think you'll get it working.

you might want to get water/meth injection sooner rather than later though

I'm starting to think the REVUP isn't as ideal with the belt layout as the non-REVUP's though, but if you're not slipping, you should be good. But then again if your front belt almost threw itself off in the first place, I don't know what all can be done with the REVUP belt layout to help that
if it works out, water/meth will be the next mod for sure. Sam is going to think about adding another pulley, where? i do not know. OFF TOPIC ALERT. on a lighter note, here are some pic's Stan took the other day out a red rock before i sent my car to Sam.
Attached Thumbnails Si TRIM VORTECH.-02feb082.jpg   Si TRIM VORTECH.-02feb0823.jpg   Si TRIM VORTECH.-02feb0815.jpg  
Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
jksstar

I think you'll get it working

you might want to get water/meth injection sooner rather than later though.

I'm starting to think the REVUP maybe isn't as ideal with the belt layout as the non-REVUP's though when pushed to the absolute extreme if the cog belt has to be routed that way and if you almost already threw the front belt off. But if you can get it to not slip, you should be good.
I had very little slip with mine Sunday (up to 6500rpms) I just can't recall how much boost it was making (think it was around 15-16psi)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
iStan
ZR

That white one looks slow.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
sentry65
the burninator

car looks great! the way you pull off the yellow/black combo works really well in all the pics I've seen of your car.

Yeah I don't know where you can add a pulley on the REVUP from what I've seen near the jackshaft. That horizontal top stretch of belt doesn't have enough room for another pulley I don't think, but maybe it might somehow, or maybe the lower pulley can be moved lower and made smaller to make room for an upper small pulley to be added?

that last long vertical stretch and only getting 50% wrap on the crank pulley are the two other problem areas with the REVUP

maybe you could do a "TIMROD" setup to it like this?
Attached Thumbnails Si TRIM VORTECH.-2006vortech_revup.gif   Si TRIM VORTECH.-revup_timrod.jpg   Si TRIM VORTECH.-revup_extra_pulleys.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 02-11-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so why no dyno #'s? sounds like it ran full bore.

Originally Posted by jksstar
I had very little slip with mine Sunday (up to 6500rpms) I just can't recall how much boost it was making (think it was around 15-16psi)
Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 AM
JET MECH

car looks great! the way you pull off the yellow/black combo works really well in all the pics I've seen of your car.

Yeah I don't know where you can add a pulley on the REVUP from what I've seen. Mainly that horizontal top stretch of belt doesn't have enough room for another pulley I don't think, but maybe it might

that last long vertical stretch and only getting 50% wrap on the crank pulley are the two other problem areas with the REVUP

maybe you could do a "TIMROD" setup to it like this?
Thank you for the comment! and yes that could be a possibility on the belt routing. Sam was thinking of adding a small pulley between the s/c'er serp pulley and the idler to the left of it so there would be more contact on the serp pulley and less chance of it jumping off. space is limited so it might not be possible.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said.....Sam seems to only tune late at night after hours . I dont think its because his Mech.'s dont like the noise . Loud exhaust's comes with working at a performance shop and to expected .

You guys are starting to run into your belt problems all of us do , including the ATI Procharger guys run into . And thats trying to turn a blower that gets harder and harder to turn as boost rises . and trying to turn that blower with a flat serp belt . Its only going to be able to grab that pulley for so long . When the boost gets to a certain point the blower is just to hard to turn and the belt slips . No matter what you do , as long as it is a serp belt , it will slip or try to jump off the pulleys . Even an all cog pulley system runs into belt problems when boost gets high .

Last edited by booger; 02-11-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah just getting into the sweet spot of a setup with a combination of mods is the trick. Once there, it's smooth sailing

Quick Reply: Si TRIM VORTECH.