Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Si TRIM VORTECH.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya at some point you need to step back and think about whats goin on. its really hard to rationalize modding when for the same price you coulda got a nicer car to begin with.

although having to wait week in and out for stuff to get finished is frustrating!

hope it all gets together soon.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Hexxum001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand being frustrated but just deciding to go T/TT doesn't mean that you aren't gonna run into a whole other set of issues. That's just FI fellas. You gotta take the good with the bad. In the end, I hope it all works out Jet Mech. I'm sure Sam will figure something out and you will be happy.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by JET MECH
just what i need to do at this point drop another $20,000 on a built engine and TT kit. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! might as well drop a LS2 and magna charger in it and call it done. could be worse, i could be making payments on the z. thank god i bought it for cash and all the mod's are paid for.

on the stretch that u do go on the ls2 route, don't do the magna charger, its been proven multiple times on corvetteforum that the certrifugal supercharger makes more power through out the whole rev range, and it runs much cooler
Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Si-trim would actually be a good size blower for the LS2
Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, am I screwed running the Si-trim with a 3.33 pulley? I know that it will be pushing a lot of air, but what about the power curve? And what about a wastegate setup? I know it hasn't been done very often. But if boost is limited, wouldn't I see a nice midrange power increase over the SC trim while staying safe?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by JonnyC
So, am I screwed running the Si-trim with a 3.33 pulley? I know that it will be pushing a lot of air, but what about the power curve? And what about a wastegate setup? I know it hasn't been done very often. But if boost is limited, wouldn't I see a nice midrange power increase over the SC trim while staying safe?
A wastegate setup would be very nice to have but it can be expensive. 928 Motorsports offers a nice adjustable valve that we have had success with along with our customers. However, since it is adjustable it does take a level of percision adjustment you have to be comfortable with.

Other than that there are some other options out there and more coming in the future for more power without upgrading to the T-trim.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM
sentry65
the burninator

what options are coming out in the future?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM
JonnyC

I'm sorry, but shouldn't there be some type of relief valve that will relieve pressure over some set level? I know a wastegate is a lot trickier than that, but it seems like there would be something relatively simple that could be utilized.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 PM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sorry, but shouldn't there be some type of relief valve that will relieve pressure over some set level? I know a wastegate is a lot trickier than that, but it seems like there would be something relatively simple that could be utilized.
you will be fine with the 3.33 pulley.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the bypass dumps at 18psi IIRC. you could probably buy one that dumps earlier.

they assume you;ll use a smaller pulley to control boost levels. you can always use the pressure bleeds as was mentions from the 928 site.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
booger

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the bypass dumps at 18psi IIRC. you could probably buy one that dumps earlier.

they assume you;ll use a smaller pulley to control boost levels. you can always use the pressure bleeds as was mentions from the 928 site.

The stock Vortech ByPass valve is made to hold boost to 18psi . It doesnt dump boost . In fact I've put much more than 18psi on it and it held
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
JET MECH

still waiting. no word back yet.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM
JonnyC

Oh, duh, i should have checked out the 928 site. Well, if it works as advertised, that would be pretty nice - although I hope it doesn't need constant adjustment once it's set. I could just set the boost fuel cutoff on the UTEC and keep adjusting the valve until i don't hit the cutoff. Anyways, this is off topic...

Hopefully you're the bearer of good news JET
Old 02-20-2008, 05:14 PM
jksstar

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

still waiting. no word back yet.

still waiting? Not even my car and I'm starting to worry, hope everything is ok man
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
JET MECH

Sam has not called in two days. i am going to wait till friday then give him a call.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM
jouvert00

Sam has not called in two days. i am going to wait till friday then give him a call.
I think it's safe to say you have more patience than "JOB" what's your plan B if the numbers aren't satisfactory which i hope not.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
JET MECH

Drove down to GTM today to talk to Sam and check on progress, Ok here is the latest. as of last night Sam did a couple of dyno pulls with a new bando serp belt installed and no additional pulleys installed on the serp belt side. after installing the additional pulleys it was noted that it would not work due to the serp belt hitting one of the supercharger mounting plate bolts so we are back the original vortech serp belt pulley setup. on the last pull to 6600 rpm the serp belt stayed intact but the cog belt decided to shread it self apart ( see attached pic ).just before the cog belt shreaded Sam documented some dyno #'s. 430.9 rwhp 380 rwtq at 12 psi. belt started slipping around 6000 rpm probably due to the brand new bando serp belt. Sam stated we need to re-tension the belt before any further pulls. now for the cog belt Sam is going to fabricate some custom pulleys to apply proper tension to the cog belt setup and keep it stable. the reason being remember i am running a non revup cog configuration, gates does not manufacture a proper belt size that will work. the belts are either to long or to short. that is why i had to run the belt over the idler pulley and during hard dyno pulls the belt is shreading. just to let you know the dyno numbers stated above were on a very,very conservative tune and A/F's were fat as hell. timing was pulled back quite a bit, these pulls were not final tuning runs they were done to see if the belts would stay together. Sam stated that when we start doing some final tuning he thinks we will be around 450 to 460 rwhp and hit around 400 rwtq. if we get the serp belt to stop slipping on the high end we may get even more, we will wait and see. Sam stated everything looks solid and the blower is running very cool. I just want to say thanks to Sam and his crew! they are doing a great job trying to iron things out and get this setup to work properly.
Attached Thumbnails Si TRIM VORTECH.-p1020860.jpg  

Last edited by JET MECH; 02-21-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator

nice

those would be some badass numbers if the belt thing can be worked out
Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
JET MECH

this blower seems to be behaving alot like a T-trim in some ways. i noted yesterday that vortech is advertising the Si-trim now but under the v-1 blower, and not the v-2.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
booger

You would have thought Vortech would have made the belt setup better for the rev-up . Instead it seems to be less stable than the original . Hope he gets something worked out for you .

Anyone get a SI trim done on a non rev-up yet ?

Quick Reply: Si TRIM VORTECH.