Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Eagletanggreen >>>> I Blew my Motor Today!!<<<<

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coachk
Raj...you really should do R&D for one of the engine builders who are trying new things. You're too smart to be wasting your IQ on med school.

Yeah no $hit!!

Hal /\ on the plenum strap!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hal...were you using the Cosworth plenum on the 9 sec Z?
No, they were not available at that time. We have one on it now, and should be at the track in a couple weeks. The CF endcaps are very thick and seem rather strong. In the event of a nitrous backfire (or meth, etc) something has to give. The easiest protection I can come up with for backfires is some form of large freeze plugs that can handle 100psi. Those would work fine under boost, but for extreme pressures they will pop out rather than grenade manifolds, bend throttle plates, etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
.....The easiest protection I can come up with for backfires is some form of large freeze plugs that can handle 100psi. Those would work fine under boost, but for extreme pressures they will pop out rather than grenade manifolds, bend throttle plates, etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Slick 6MT

Can you please elaborate on why you're not using the Cosworth plenum? I'm befuddled...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Raj...you really should do R&D for one of the engine builders who are trying new things. You're too smart to be wasting your IQ on med school.
Ha ha - still learning a lot, I assure you. I am working on a few things though .

Med school is a distant memory (gladly forgotten) and I can't complain about the cash flow the day job provides.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by Slick 6MT
Can you please elaborate on why you're not using the Cosworth plenum? I'm befuddled...
Weren't people experiencing boost leak from the sides?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the original topic.... Eagle, did you every have your car dyno'd with the stock plenum and current setup???
Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 AM
rcdash

No, they were not available at that time. We have one on it now, and should be at the track in a couple weeks. The CF endcaps are very thick and seem rather strong. In the event of a nitrous backfire (or meth, etc) something has to give. The easiest protection I can come up with for backfires is some form of large freeze plugs that can handle 100psi. Those would work fine under boost, but for extreme pressures they will pop out rather than grenade manifolds, bend throttle plates, etc.
Hal, can a freeze plug be installed on an intake manifold (i've heard of them being installed on an engine block)? Any type of pressure release valve may be a nice safety to have in place - of course there'd be a fireball that comes out the end of it...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Slick 6MT

I am not using it becuase it leaked. I had Cosworth inspect and pressure test it (30psi) they said thya fixed it and it didn't leak. Well it did I hand delevierd it to them and told them I wanted my $$$$ back or else. Well I agreed to a brand new one with a 100% GUARANTEE it is pressure tested with meth. I am having talks with them about making a custom aluminum or some type of metal side covers and totally getting away with the O ring and just use a gasket. This will be done just to keep me happy cuz I am ready to flame on them. IMO the Cosworth plenum is a big Failier (as far as structure) Who uses a rubber O ring gasket??? Knowing people are going to be spraying nitrous and meth??? But what do I know??

To this date I am the only one spraying meth thru the Cosworth, and to this date its not holding.

As far as this freeze plug to talk of??? Tell me some more and how it works???
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56 AM
iknowitsfast

my god, ive never seen that before! at least you could limp it home...wow!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen

As far as this freeze plug to talk of??? Tell me some more and how it works???
Like the freeze plugs in the engine block, basically if the coolant froze (running straight water), the plugs would pop out because of the expansion and in theory save the block from cracking...

You could have something like this fabbed up on the stock plenum, or any aluminum one like the crawford. Have a freeze plug press fit so that it is airtight to whatever PSI you will be running plus some extra for a margin of safety, but if a backfire occurs which would increase plenum pressure dramatically, the plug would pop out relieving pressure and saving your plenum/engine.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Like the freeze plugs in the engine block, basically if the coolant froze (running straight water), the plugs would pop out because of the expansion and in theory save the block from cracking...

You could have something like this fabbed up on the stock plenum, or any aluminum one like the crawford. Have a freeze plug press fit so that it is airtight to whatever PSI you will be running plus some extra for a margin of safety, but if a backfire occurs which would increase plenum pressure dramatically, the plug would pop out relieving pressure and saving your plenum/engine.
Like an O-**** Plug!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM
rcdash

I was wondering about a 1/4" or 1/2" pressure relief valve in the range of 80 psi... This way you could misfire multiple times and keep on going - ha! When you see flames spread across the windshield, you'll know to stop hitting the rev limiter - lol.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar

I will talk to Joe the "Mad Man"Kenefic and see what he thinks? We might have to do this. Plenums and hood would get a bit costly in time .

I'll tell you what these turbos LOVE high boost!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by rcdash
I was wondering about a 1/4" or 1/2" pressure relief valve in the range of 80 psi... This way you could misfire multiple times and keep on going - ha! When you see flames spread across the windshield, you'll know to stop hitting the rev limiter - lol.

BEWARE...I think Raj is a closet pyro. Have you been skipping your counseling sessions j/k
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I will talk to Joe the "Mad Man"Kenefic and see what he thinks? We might have to do this. Plenums and hood would get a bit costly in time .

Just make sure they are not aimed at anything critical, or weld a little cage around them
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

What kind of boost controller are you running? Also, do you use the FCON's launch control?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Just make sure they are not aimed at anything critical, or weld a little cage around them

I sent Wilson a e mail about possibly making me a mini catchers mit!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
go-fast
Banned

wilson sells individual burst panels.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

I sent Wilson a e mail about possibly making me a mini catchers mit!
..... This will be done just to keep me happy cuz I am ready to flame on them. ....

You make it sound like I am rich? I dont see you guys selling Oranges and peanuts on the Highway off Ramps to support your Mod habit??

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 03-10-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Eagletanggreen >>>> I Blew my Motor Today!!<<<<