Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

help emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Zume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help emissions

2005, G35, JWT Twins, HKS F-con, no cats, big injectors...
Need to pass emissions in Fayette Co. GA. They use OBD2 port only. CEL can be cleared but it resets ~ 5 drive cycle codes. Any one with experience on this issue???
Old 05-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other than a "friendly" emissions guy I dont know what to tell you. I passed NA with Tp's but had no cel. Now like you I have a cel, and have emissions coming up soon. If you clear it and dont cycle the car (on/offs) they will catch on and you fail. If you take it with a cel you fail.

One other option may exist for you. Ive done this before on a previous car and my 2 friends do it with their cars. In MD, the computer for emissions is AFTER the rollers. Meaning they have to drive the car over the rollers to test 96' and up cars. They cant drive around and back in, otherwise they HAVE TO exempt you.

Some counties are much more leniant on what cars they even attempt to take over the rollers. Lowered cars are a risk and they dont try. If they dont try you get a 2 year exemption. After putting on my front lip Im taking it to the place who doesnt care and taking a chance they never even sit in the car. Good luck!!
Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Zume
Need to pass emissions in Fayette Co. GA. They use OBD2 port only. CEL can be cleared but it resets ~ 5 drive cycle codes. Any one with experience on this issue???
I had that problem before I went to inspection (Random Misfire ) so I just cleared the code and just drove my car for around 30 mins around 65mph without going above 3000rpm. Just drive your car smoothly to let the car do its own test. If you have an ODB2 reader then it will tell you if the test are done.

Edit: oopps, didnt see the Fcon part..lol I have Utec so not sure if this is the case for Fcon

Last edited by athenG; 05-12-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 AM
bigslim350Z

I'm dreading February 2009, there is no way I'm going to pass emissions.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:37 AM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by Alberto
Other than a "friendly" emissions guy I dont know what to tell you. I passed NA with Tp's but had no cel. Now like you I have a cel, and have emissions coming up soon. If you clear it and dont cycle the car (on/offs) they will catch on and you fail. If you take it with a cel you fail.

One other option may exist for you. Ive done this before on a previous car and my 2 friends do it with their cars. In MD, the computer for emissions is AFTER the rollers. Meaning they have to drive the car over the rollers to test 96' and up cars. They cant drive around and back in, otherwise they HAVE TO exempt you.

Some counties are much more leniant on what cars they even attempt to take over the rollers. Lowered cars are a risk and they dont try. If they dont try you get a 2 year exemption. After putting on my front lip Im taking it to the place who doesnt care and taking a chance they never even sit in the car. Good luck!!
Which place might this be? I'll have to go up there. I lucked out last time and Glen Dirty emissions place let me pull my own car in over the rollers so it didn't get damaged. But, if there is a place that won't try, I'll have to check that one out as well. (note to self: get a front lip by next February)
Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldnt have pulled your own car in, if you damaged it they could have said it was your problem. I told the guy last time (when I was NA) if he scraped my front end we would have problems, the d-bag did it anyway but he didnt scrape.

Go to Columbia emissions off of Dobbin Rd-down the street from where we meet, they have let Dan go twice there. Worst case scenario for me I lower my front end and go lol...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

you're pretty much screwed, unless you find a person to hook u up but thats real difficult either way.

I would give my opinion on what to do but idk how the pipes are setup under the car. I went through the same thing as you but i got a single turbo. i had to take off all my turbo pipes on the bottom and add the stock cats back on. passed emissions and then came home and took cats off and put all the turbo pipes back on. thats what i love about single turbos.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 AM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

Originally Posted by Zume
You are screwed unless you find a place that is lenient. I am glad Spalding County does not have this yet. When thye do I will be changing my residence lol.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM
nomyth46

i'm a inspector in NC and all we use is obd2 port as well.........i'm not sure if the same a wavier rules apply in georgia but this is how i got my car inspected and the MIL light has been on since i got my car back:
1) clear all trouble codes right before you get it inspected, then go get it inspected. You will receive a not-ready rejection.
2) go buy a misc. part for your car (spark plug, i used a vac. hose) and install it, doesn't matter how much $$, but keep the receipt!!!
3) drive the car 60 to 80 miles, right before you get it inspected clear all the trouble code out of the computer again, you will receive another not-ready rejection.
4) now you have 2 not-ready rejections and a receipt that says you replaced a part on the car........go to the DMV and ask for a not-ready wavier and they should give you one to get a sticker, because in NC if your EMC stays not-ready you will get a wavier
5) next year repeat process
Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

!
Same thing for me as the guy let me sit in line and when i was next he said no way are you going over the rollers.2 year exempt for me too.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
nomyth46

You shouldnt have pulled your own car in, if you damaged it they could have said it was your problem. I told the guy last time (when I was NA) if he scraped my front end we would have problems, the d-bag did it anyway but he didnt scrape.

Go to Columbia emissions off of Dobbin Rd-down the street from where we meet, they have let Dan go twice there. Worst case scenario for me I lower my front end and go lol...

you can pull the car in yourself in MD?.......in NC the inspector has to pull it in or you do'nt get a inspection
Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

New cat' converter??? Pretty expensive sucker!