Forced Induction for Noobs.... - Page 10 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion



Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #181
mpcstuff
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
mpcstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WS, NC
Posts: 91
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Slidefox.. A few more - Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to get flamed for starting a post that I should have searched about even though I could not find it.

1. Are all Turbo Timers created equal? Or is there one I should go with? I almost feel like I could get an eBay crap one and it wouldnt matter but I could be completely wrong.

2. Should I heat wrap or ceramic coat my turbo piping? If "yes" which pipes and how should I coat or heat wrap them ?

3. What is a good exhaust to go with that sounds and looks stock to go with my single turbo Z?
mpcstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #182
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcstuff View Post
Slidefox.. A few more - Sorry for all the questions but I dont want to get flamed for starting a post that I should have searched about even though I could not find it.

1. Are all Turbo Timers created equal? Or is there one I should go with? I almost feel like I could get an eBay crap one and it wouldnt matter but I could be completely wrong.

2. Should I heat wrap or ceramic coat my turbo piping? If "yes" which pipes and how should I coat or heat wrap them ?

3. What is a good exhaust to go with that sounds and looks stock to go with my single turbo Z?
1. Yes and No.... Yes in the sense that they all do the same thing. No, because you want to make sure you have a quality product. I'm a fan of the Greddy Full Auto. Simple and inexpensive, plus it goes nicely with their Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller.

2. Heat wrap definitely doesn't hurt. I would wrap your down-pipe and up-pipe. This might be beneficial since you are running a Turbonetics Kit which is notorious for high AIT's; due to the design of the kit.

3. My personal favorite.... JIC Spartan DE Type 1. The Full Ti sounds incredible, but costs a grip. I would spring for the ST or the SUS.
http://www.intensepower.com/exhaustheaders.html
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #183
r0mey
350Z-holic
iTrader: (35)
 
r0mey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 17,788
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Its nice to see the old vets helping out the new kids on the block
r0mey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #184
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0mey View Post
Its nice to see the old vets helping out the new kids on the block


I've created a safe haven....

Last edited by SlideFox; 11-06-2008 at 08:46 PM.
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #185
chopperman
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Fox great *** thread, nother question

I just bought a Hks Evc 5 for $275 shipped

Where is the common place to mount the soleniod? I was reading the directions and they say not to make the tubes longer then 3'4".
chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 AM   #186
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperman View Post
Fox great *** thread, nother question

I just bought a Hks Evc 5 for $275 shipped

Where is the common place to mount the soleniod? I was reading the directions and they say not to make the tubes longer then 3'4".
Firewall is usually a common place.... I've seen some people mount there boost solenoid on the strut tower wall on the passenger side of the engine bay as well.
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #187
chopperman
Registered User
iTrader: (9)
 
chopperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What type of air filter do you use to replace the crappy greddy sponges?
chopperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 AM   #188
icemanZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: FT. Campbell, KY
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Slidefox...i have a question for you, this post has helped me alot but since im a noob(ill admit it) i have a 2006 350Z and i have found the kit listed below, my question would this work on my 06 ive done some looking but have not found a def. answer and he is askind 4800 for it all is this a good price?
thanks for your time
TDO5H-18G cast manif., ext. w/gs, w/ e-manage, & 440cc inj.
TurboCharger TD05-18G 8CM^2
Wastegate (GReddy /Tial) .45 Bar
Manifold Right left
Downpipe Adapter Right right
Compression Pipe C-1 ~ C-5 RRRL
AirFlow Meter Adapter & Suction pipe RR LL
Airinx AY-SB (Blue) & Airinx hose adapter S70
Oil Pressure Hose USS & UNION FITTING & BANJO FITTING
Copper Washer
Oil return pipe right left & Oil Pan with welded Oil Return Pipe
Vacuum Hose
Radiator Reserve & Rubber & Silicone Hose
Hose Band
Power Steering Pump Fitting & Check Valve
Radiator reserve trank / cap
Hose Fitting & Radiator Reserve Tank Bracket
Aluminum Spacer & Airinx Bracket
Exhaust manifold gasket & Turbo gasket & Catalytic converter & Oil Return
Thermo Cloth & Three way fitting & Zip Ties
E-manage US-Z33 & Injectors 440cc
icemanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 AM   #189
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanZ View Post
Slidefox...i have a question for you, this post has helped me alot but since im a noob(ill admit it) i have a 2006 350Z and i have found the kit listed below, my question would this work on my 06 ive done some looking but have not found a def. answer and he is askind 4800 for it all is this a good price?
thanks for your time
TDO5H-18G cast manif., ext. w/gs, w/ e-manage, & 440cc inj.
TurboCharger TD05-18G 8CM^2
Wastegate (GReddy /Tial) .45 Bar
Manifold Right left
Downpipe Adapter Right right
Compression Pipe C-1 ~ C-5 RRRL
AirFlow Meter Adapter & Suction pipe RR LL
Airinx AY-SB (Blue) & Airinx hose adapter S70
Oil Pressure Hose USS & UNION FITTING & BANJO FITTING
Copper Washer
Oil return pipe right left & Oil Pan with welded Oil Return Pipe
Vacuum Hose
Radiator Reserve & Rubber & Silicone Hose
Hose Band
Power Steering Pump Fitting & Check Valve
Radiator reserve trank / cap
Hose Fitting & Radiator Reserve Tank Bracket
Aluminum Spacer & Airinx Bracket
Exhaust manifold gasket & Turbo gasket & Catalytic converter & Oil Return
Thermo Cloth & Three way fitting & Zip Ties
E-manage US-Z33 & Injectors 440cc
So you basically got an over inflated list of a Greddy Twin Turbo Kit!!

Just make sure it has everything that came with the kit originally, and if there is anything missing, to make sure you are aware of it.

Also, make sure it is for a Z and not a G...
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #190
icemanZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: FT. Campbell, KY
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default thanks

thank you slidefox you've been alot of help
icemanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #191
swede68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mckinney tx
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO GET A BREAKDOWN OF THE NEW EMS OUT THERE, HALTEC, PRO EFI, FCON. FEATURES, CAPABILITIES, PROS CONS. I KNOW WHEN HALTEC AND PROEFI FIRST CAME OUT THEY SAID THEY WERE HAVING UPDATES ON THE FEATURES. WHAT ARE ALL THE CAPABILITIES NOW?
swede68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #192
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede68 View Post
WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO GET A BREAKDOWN OF THE NEW EMS OUT THERE, HALTEC, PRO EFI, FCON. FEATURES, CAPABILITIES, PROS CONS. I KNOW WHEN HALTEC AND PROEFI FIRST CAME OUT THEY SAID THEY WERE HAVING UPDATES ON THE FEATURES. WHAT ARE ALL THE CAPABILITIES NOW?
That would be a very large database to put together!!!!

I will admit, I know just about all of the EMS's that are available, but as far as EVERY feature for EVERY EMS. That would require some research.

I'm sure if you search the "Tuning" section or the "Product Announcment" section in Forced Induction, there should be threads about the Haltech and the ProEFI. As far as the HKS F-Con goes, there is plenty of information out there.

I can put something together, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Sorry.
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #193
swede68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mckinney tx
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

haha ya it would be alot of research i figgured i would give it a try. thanks though. Which would you go with if you had to choose out of those three?
swede68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #194
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede68 View Post
haha ya it would be alot of research i figgured i would give it a try. thanks though. Which would you go with if you had to choose out of those three?
All three are very good units.

I would go ProEFI, because the owner/Head Engineer for ProeFI is local to me, and I know him.

Second choice would be Haltech. Only for the reason that the HKS F-Con V-Pro can only be tuned and installed by an HKS Pro Dealer, and a dealer might not be local to you.
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #195
nismo nick HR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: dont trip
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool

bro i enjoyed reading this seriously my z i stock but what kit would you recommend im trying to drag dift and i want that power so when an evo rolls up on me i want to easily kill him freeway or off the dig thanks alot bro
nismo nick HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #196
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo nick HR View Post
bro i enjoyed reading this seriously my z i stock but what kit would you recommend im trying to drag dift and i want that power so when an evo rolls up on me i want to easily kill him freeway or off the dig thanks alot bro
Judging by your username, I am going to assume you have an HR and not a DE??
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #197
Cass007
350Z-holic
iTrader: (34)
 
Cass007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In teh Mid-A
Posts: 5,618
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo nick HR View Post
bro i enjoyed reading this seriously my z i stock but what kit would you recommend im trying to drag dift and i want that power so when an evo rolls up on me i want to easily kill him freeway or off the dig thanks alot bro
Evo's on the highway are easy pickings for most F/I Z's, but from a dig your gonna have your hands full no matter what - awd FTW!
Cass007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #198
str8dum1
Registered User
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: raleigh-wood NC
Posts: 8,807
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

^ stock evos maybe. for cheap u can strap a gt40 turbo on an evo and good luck beating it from a roll with anything besides a built TT z
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #199
simplymike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: anderson, Indiana 46012
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Okay I am as nooby as they come to f/i. I want power but nothing crazy. Maybe at most 450whp. Now after reading this I could achieve close to that with aps single turbo kit. My question is though for doing a mild build would it suffice to just build the bottom end? New rods, pistons,and sleeve it? or would I need to do more?
simplymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #200
SlideFox
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
SlideFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,496
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymike View Post
Okay I am as nooby as they come to f/i. I want power but nothing crazy. Maybe at most 450whp. Now after reading this I could achieve close to that with aps single turbo kit. My question is though for doing a mild build would it suffice to just build the bottom end? New rods, pistons,and sleeve it? or would I need to do more?
First off.... YOU DON'T NEED SLEEVES!!! Unless you plan on building a 700+whp motor down the line you don't need sleeves.

If your set on APS, and a mild build.... Do Pistons, Rods, Standalone EMS, Return Fuel System w/ at least 600cc Inj., and a clutch and flywheel to hold it all. Cams will help you in the top end if you can budget it, but the stock heads are A OK.
SlideFox is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interior Refresh Jazzyfella Exterior & Interior 14 10-09-2015 03:24 PM


Tags
302, cjm, connecting, fmu, forcedinduction, fuel, gt35r, installation, kit, motors, return, rods, singles, stock, system, turbo, twininlet, vq35de

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Copyright 2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: