Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction for Noobs....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Kung Fu Sifu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone here who drives their Turbo Z as a daily driver. If so has ur Z had any major problems since doing so?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kung Fu Sifu
Is there anyone here who drives their Turbo Z as a daily driver. If so has ur Z had any major problems since doing so?
I know at least 5 or 6 people that have boosted Z's as there daily. You just have to make sure you maintain and monitor your car.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:45 AM
chopperman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many quarts of oil do you need when you change the oil for greddy twins?

Also I have the F con pro without the navigator, and I will be getting a HKS Evc5 boost controller. Now what im not understanding is how will I change my maps? I know that with a utec you can change maps with the map selector that is hooked up to the ecu. But Will I be choosing my maps via the boost controller?

So I am guessing that the car will be tuned for the maxed psi that I want and then when I want to run lower my boost I would choose it through the boost controller? Hope you understand, thanks.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by chopperman
How many quarts of oil do you need when you change the oil for greddy twins?

Also I have the F con pro without the navigator, and I will be getting a HKS Evc5 boost controller. Now what im not understanding is how will I change my maps? I know that with a utec you can change maps with the map selector that is hooked up to the ecu. But Will I be choosing my maps via the boost controller?

So I am guessing that the car will be tuned for the maxed psi that I want and then when I want to run lower my boost I would choose it through the boost controller? Hope you understand, thanks.
Good question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer.

As for the Map settings; I could be wrong but you select your maps with the navigator. I believe the EVC5 is stickly for adjusting boost. I don't think it has the capabilities to store maps.

I do not have a lot of hands on experience with either product. If I were you I would PM Sharif @Forged or GTM who have dealt with these products, and they should be able to get you an answer.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
SweetDreamZ

you mention the known issue of rods being the weak point...do we have any data on what the stock pistons can handle?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
you mention the known issue of rods being the weak point...do we have any data on what the stock pistons can handle?
It's kind of irrelivant. The rods will fail before the pistons do, and I don't think any one is going to re-install the OEM pistons with aftermarket rods.

To answer your question, NO. I don't think there is any data on the limitations on the OE Pistons.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
SweetDreamZ

agreed, no one is going to re-install them if doing a build. Although, I have heard of people swapping rods out on motors w/o doing a complete build. Pull it down far enough to get the pin out...put new rods in...put motors back together. Just wondered if anyone knew what the stock pistons could handle. If they are safe to like...500 or so rwhp...that might be a viable way to give your motor some more reliability.

A side note here...i've never had my VQ apart on the bottom end...so i have no clue if you could even pull this off with this motor. I know that with my 420A...it could have been done.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
thom000001

Slide gots to update page one for TT kits....I can put something together for you if you want\/ \/ \/
Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 AM
thom000001

Being a V motor, it would be best to have everything out and get it balanced. Not to say it can't be done. But better safe than sorry right?

Tom

Originally Posted by SweetDreamZ
agreed, no one is going to re-install them if doing a build. Although, I have heard of people swapping rods out on motors w/o doing a complete build. Pull it down far enough to get the pin out...put new rods in...put motors back together. Just wondered if anyone knew what the stock pistons could handle. If they are safe to like...500 or so rwhp...that might be a viable way to give your motor some more reliability.

A side note here...i've never had my VQ apart on the bottom end...so i have no clue if you could even pull this off with this motor. I know that with my 420A...it could have been done.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by thom000001
Slide gots to update page one for TT kits....I can put something together for you if you want\/ \/ \/
Since IB took over, We can't edit old posts....

One of these days I will edit it, and have one of the Mods change it for me.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
mpcstuff

I have quite a few questions hopefully everyone can help...I am truly a noob to FI in the 350z, so some may seem ignorant. I used to have a turbo b18c civic so I know a bit about FI but not in the Z.

I just purchased a used Turbonetics Single Turbo kit for my 2004 Roadster.

I also have AAM Basic Fuel return system, 440CC injectors, PLX (af ratio,egt and boost gauges, and UTEC.

I have not installed it yet.

Here are my questions

1. Is there any thing else I should def do to play it "safe" I do not plan to build the motor at this time ( I am going to build one now to replace this one later ) ?

2 . How much boost will be "safe"? (I know some say one thing and someone else says the other - but what is the general number)

3. Do I need a boost controller or is it built in to the UTEC?

4. Is there anything (BOV, Wastegate, etc ) in the kit that is weak that I would want to upgrade?

5. If I wanted to change the BOV would I have to get a new flange welded or do they make adapters?

6. Is the install of a Turbonetics kit fairly easy?

7. After installing the turbo how would I go about properly tuning the car (are there downloadable base maps?) I plan to have CIN tune the car but I would have to drive an hour to get there so I need some sort of tune before I go.

Any other suggestions.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
SlideFox

1. Is there any thing else I should def do to play it "safe" I do not plan to build the motor at this time ( I am going to build one now to replace this one later ) ?

There isn't anything you HAVE to do to make it safe. There are things you can invest in, but there not required.

2 . How much boost will be "safe"? (I know some say one thing and someone else says the other - but what is the general number)

If you are running stock block, I say 6 psi is safe for daily beating

3. Do I need a boost controller or is it built in to the UTEC?

I don't like boost controllers on stock block z's (That's a personal choice). You can tune the UTEC for multiple map, and you would have to have the optional "Map Selector Switch" for the UTEC. CIN can set that up for you.

4. Is there anything (BOV, Wastegate, etc ) in the kit that is weak that I would want to upgrade?

Piping, Piping, Piping... I would double and triple check all your welds before installing!!

5. If I wanted to change the BOV would I have to get a new flange welded or do they make adapters?

I Believe the Greddy RS is a direct replacement, but any tuning ship can cut off the Turbonetics flange, and weld a new one on (*cough* Tial *cough*)

6. Is the install of a Turbonetics kit fairly easy?

The Turbonetics kit is probably one of the easiest. Just have patience.

7. After installing the turbo how would I go about properly tuning the car (are there downloadable base maps?) I plan to have CIN tune the car but I would have to drive an hour to get there so I need some sort of tune before I go.

There are downloadable base maps, that you can upload to your UTEC so that you can limp your car to your tuner for final tuning.

Any other suggestions.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
chopperman

Lightly used Evc5 shipped for $335. Good deal?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 AM
swede68

Hey slide fox can you do a summary of the SP twin turbo kit also please. What are the differences with it compared to APS extreme? there on the same price level but it doesnt come with a fuel system ive noticed. Any extra info would be greatly appriciated.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by swede68
Hey slide fox can you do a summary of the SP twin turbo kit also please. What are the differences with it compared to APS extreme? there on the same price level but it doesnt come with a fuel system ive noticed. Any extra info would be greatly appriciated.
I have requested the information from Chris and Larry @ SP. As soon as I get the info; I will update the main page.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 AM
SlideFox

Sound Performance Twin Turbo Kit: SP offeres one of the highest horsepower capable twin turbo kits on the market for the VQ. The kit includes a HUGE front mount intercooler, Blow-off Valve, 3" downpipes, and tubular manifolds. It is also one of the most expandable kits allowing you a dozen different size turbo options, including ball bearing or journal bearing turbo's, giving you horsepower options from 400-1200hp!

Downside, you will loose your washer fluid reservoir, Scavenge tank is low on the car for proper drainage so lowered cars will have to be careful, and being a kit with tubular manifolds and large turbo's it does require the motor to be pulled out for installation. Our kit does not include any Fuel components, or Engine Management.

With a proper kit, and the right supporting mods, people have made 1033rwhp on a 3.5L VQ @ 30psi

Fastest Current 1/4 mile time with a SP Twin Turbo Kit: 9.35@158mph on the stock 6speed transmission! Fastest 6speed in the world.

Thanks Chris!! Mods should be adding this to the first page.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by chopperman
Lightly used Evc5 shipped for $335. Good deal?
Not bad!! Seeing is that a new EVC6 is over $550!!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
SlideFox

Updated!!
Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
mpcstuff

Slide Fox. Thank you for all the input.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 PM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by mpcstuff