Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction for Noobs....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
litoflow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP I think you should have had written about what exhaust to use or what would be better for each application. I dont know, something like that. It is just an idea lol
Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Eno

I spend a lot of time going over this thread as I'm sure many noobs do. Surprised to see sgp promoted considering all the hubbub about how they cataclysmically ripped off a number of people- evident from another sticky.

Just sayin

I can't speak for IPT yet- but they're building my tranny now for a 500+ build. Maybe If it all works out you could swap their name in?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Dr jaws

Hello guys

here is a new challenge for all the FI veterans out there, i'm new to twin turbos and i need some advice concerning my future build .

Parts already purchased :

Power Enterprise 3.8L Stoker Kit
Power Enterprise high capacity oil pan
Power Enterprise engine bearing
Power Enterprise head gasket
Os giken triple metal disc
Sard 800cc injectors
Sard rails + fuel pump + fuel return kit
nismo oil pump
ARP head stud, main stud and connecting rod
Samco hose kit

Here is the questions

1- is this setup capable of 800hp ? i'm hesitating between the gtm TT kit gt28rs or the gtm kit with the gt2871r ?

2- is it useful to buy the 1mm oversized valve train ?

3- planned to buy Darton sleeves (i have oil consumption issue and probably the rings are dead, i have oil droplets coming out the exhaust)

4- what degrees in camshafts should i use ? love the Tomei one but they have multiple setup 256 264 272 280 ??

5- already have a Injen true dual exhaut can i keep it or should i upgrade to a 80mm = 3.14inch (the injen is 60mm = 2.36 inch)

I know it's too much questions but all help will be highly appreciated .

the car is USDM 350z with 60k miles on it and this project is strictly for street use .
thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Dr jaws

100 views not even a single reply, i'm i in the wrong thread .
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 AM
sithlordsoup

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought a gtm de kit, I'm planning on just running on wastegate springs. I figured 330whp is more than enough to tickle my fancy. My cars got 112k miles on it, how long should i expect this car to hold up for?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

@Dr Jaws..
Ive been told to never sleeve a DE engine.
I'm in the market for them, but the shop doing mine says that even the smallest variances by sleeving can cause some serious problems. They ahve several cars w 900-1300 whp and dont use sleeves. Research it, make your own choice of course.. im just another dude on the net....but
Save yourself the grand i say.

Also.. just curious.. with a ten thousand dollar stroker kit and twin turbos... why?
Not hating, im just curious, as my answers would depend on your goal etc.. im kind of a noob too, but since im building now, ive been reading and asking aloooooooooot of questions. Learned quite a bit.
The big part of huge power is 1200 cc injectors, a great tune, e85 gaws and a CJM RFS fuel system. Hope you would be including that in your build.. it wasnt listed.

If it were me, id build the crap out the block, get some great valve springs with upgraded cams as you planned ( sorry im no help on cam profiles) ... go big single turbo, and leave the sleeves alone. Or tein turbo in your case.. just yeailds a bit less power that way.
But thats me.. and id surely be able to tune to 7-800 hp if i was willing to drive w a clutch that could take it, so, im not.

800 hp for street use is vast overkill man. Im tuning mine to about 5-550 on pump gas.. 800 on anything will require e85 im sure.. and while you cal it street use.. its not very realistic. Ive watched ppl at the shop drive the 900 hp cars and the 1300 hp cars out of the shop and into the parking lot, and its a tedious procedure.. aint cool to me, thats for sure.. i like to drive like normal.

Plus your build will easily cost you 10k stroker, 7k turbo kit, 4 k internals and machining.
then you have your labor, tuning etc... not sure if youre in reality... again, not hating, maybe youre super rich .. i sure dont know... but its just some food for thought.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Zume

Default controlling boost

why do most "kits" have actuator gate springs set @ +/- 5 psi?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Zume

+ I know changing out the springs is pretty rare. Are there other ways to change the actuator pressure setting?...adjusting the linkage?

+ How does an electronic BC work? Does it fake it by reading 10 psi but only allows 5 psi to the actuator? So the boost is actually 10 but the actuator reads 5 and WC is fully open???
Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there guys,
Got some sort of a stupid question. cuz of my lack of knowledge in the FIed world.
so the question is what is the biggest turbo that can be fitted to the 350z which will make
huge power gains with out surging and affecting neither the turbo nor the internals.
plus the turbine have to fit a tial ss EX housing.
I know that's the stupidest question ever asked but I'm trying to come up with something
new that would be in the level of hal's ST Z. I know I'm actually dreaming but what's
wrong with dreaming when you're getting some sort of thing out of it.
So, I actually running the momentum ST kit W stock internals, and currently in the
process of building the engine. I'm not looking for the awesome track/DD Z, but I'm
looking for a hway monster/weekend warrior, or even throwing something new to the
350z community, since it doesn't have much going on lately.

I would be thankful for any input.
plz no flames lmao.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Landarose

Last edited by Landarose; 05-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

350whp is pretty mild on a stock block... as long as install and especially the tune is proper you should last quite some time.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
bgant3

Ok. I just Bought A spare longblock. I plan to build bottom end. And when it all said and done, swap it into my Z one weekend. my question, If i got a twin turbo kit, would it be easier just installing the turbos while the engine is already out of the car?

that way I can save on paying a shop to do it all. I would still take it to a shop to do the Tune. But how hard is it running the intercooler piping, tapping oil lines to the turbo and such?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Newb Question here:

Can you tune a Vortech kit with a Cobb Accessport? If so is the needed map already in the cobb unit or must one contact Cobb to get that taken care of?

Thanks Gents
Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bgant3
Ok. I just Bought A spare longblock. I plan to build bottom end. And when it all said and done, swap it into my Z one weekend. my question, If i got a twin turbo kit, would it be easier just installing the turbos while the engine is already out of the car?

that way I can save on paying a shop to do it all. I would still take it to a shop to do the Tune. But how hard is it running the intercooler piping, tapping oil lines to the turbo and such?
It is much easier to install the twins with the engine out of the car.I was pretty hard headed when i installed the Greddy twins as i did it with the engine still in the car (which everyone said take the motor out) and man was it a pita and it can be done but.......................................................do it with the motor out.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Landarose
Hey there everyone, just wanted to say I found some great info in here over the time this thread has been up and helped greatly with my build and after seeing a couple people asking about tt'd dd's on here(if anyone still pays attention) I have put almost 30,000mi on my 03' enthusiast 350z at 6psi putting down little over 350whp since the build, now I know there's pros this isn't thay impressive but to those looking for some input here's my .02, I've had no problems running it everyday and breaking tires loose whenever I get the chance. On the completely stock motor I've had no problems other than some check engine lights when I hit the sweet spot in the throttle from being tuned rich, otherwise there's no major problems with any of the components on the greddy 18g tt kit. I also had a 3rd gear synchro issue that happened and was fixed all before I was boosting at all. After driving a tt vehicle everyday I can honestly say there's not a day I get in my car without a smile on my face, I don't think beating on it at low boost every now and then will be blowing engine parts if you relatively know what you're doing, bouncing it off the rev limiter every now and then showing off hasn't done me much harm either, I keep doing regular oil/oil filter changes and consistently letting it cool down a good minute after driving, hope this helps some people deciding about f/I for a dd that are to lazy to read it all!
30,000 miles is pretty good... now get to almost 80,000 miles with boost and ill give you a couple of cookies and maybe a brownie.I am not saying this to make your achievement any less then what it is so dont take this as a crack at you.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:26 PM
fergie14

answered alot of my questions. im one of those noobs! i was a little disappointed that you left the vortech and procharger section blank though!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Tomato_Slicer

Thanks OP for the post. If it helps any...Im new to the Z and I picked this thread up from a sticky. It helped a great deal. So now I know that my stock DE can handle up to 400hp safely without problems. Ill get a centrifugal supercharger tune it down and upgrade the clutch, tires and ECU. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Tomato_Slicer; 09-04-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:35 AM
KushZEN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

delete wrong thread.

Last edited by KushZEN; 10-21-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM
boshaheen32

Default turbonetics gtk 850

hi i have 350z with turbonetics single turbo kit can i change turbonetics 60-1 charger and replace the large turbonetics gtk 850
i hope to any one know help me is gtk 850 fit the kit :confused
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
boshaheen32

Default turbonetics gtk 850

hi i have 350z with turbonetics single turbo kit can i change turbonetics 60-1 charger and replace the large turbonetics gtk 850
i hope to any one know help me is gtk 850 fit the kit :confused