Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

From Utec to Haltech

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
TinmansZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Utec to Haltech

I've been pm'ing back and forth with Hal about replacing my Utec with the Haltech. I have a vortech set up with all the bolt ons an W/Meth.

At this time I'm planning on making the swap, just wanted to see who else has made the swap from Utec to Haltech and what your experience was and are you pleased with your desicion?

Between hot start issues, no ability by utec to control W/M and so on I think its a good idea to switch. Guess I'll have the ECU reflashed also, so if you got an opinion I'd like to hear it. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think ___jb went from Utec to Haltech. Seems pretty happy. Might try PMing him...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I went from the UTEC to a Haltech. There is no comparison. Haltech is such a beautiful piece of work, rock solid and well designed... The software interface is incredibly user friendly. With support from Injected Performance and Hal, you're in great hands. There's also so many extras coming down the pike... Very happy with this upgrade.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
I went from the UTEC to a Haltech. There is no comparison.
+1
nothing like a stand alone.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 AM
350zzzgunnar

I went from the UTEC to a Haltech. There is no comparison. Haltech is such a beautiful piece of work, rock solid and well designed... The software interface is incredibly user friendly. With support from Injected Performance and Hal, you're in great hands. There's also so many extras coming down the pike... Very happy with this upgrade.
+1
Engine even sounds better
Old 07-18-2008, 02:47 AM
chopperman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TinmansZ
I've been pm'ing back and forth with Hal about replacing my Utec with the Haltech. I have a vortech set up with all the bolt ons an W/Meth.

At this time I'm planning on making the swap, just wanted to see who else has made the swap from Utec to Haltech and what your experience was and are you pleased with your desicion?

Between hot start issues, no ability by utec to control W/M and so on I think its a good idea to switch. Guess I'll have the ECU reflashed also, so if you got an opinion I'd like to hear it. Thanks.

Where in KS are you? Ill be at Ft riley in a couple months
Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 AM
TinmansZ

Originally Posted by chopperman
Where in KS are you? Ill be at Ft riley in a couple months
I'm in Lawrence, just about an hour or so away. Lawrence is the home of the KU Jayhawks so there is plenty of eye candy walking around, you'll need to come visit.

Thanks for all the replies, It's another big spend but one that I think will make a big difference, it just confirms my decision after hearing your experiences.

Thanks for the replies and if anyone else wants to add something I'm all ears.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:18 AM
frankie945

I would stick with the utec unless you plan on running high boost I don't know what meth kit you have but mine works fine on it's own. And the hot starts aren't bad you just barley tap the pedal when you turn the key, big deal. A reflash would solve that problem alone. 2,000 is kinda high for a haltech then you pay for the tune, money can be spent elsewere. I have talked to IP they tried to push that haltech on me. I not saying its a bad I would rather spend my money on other mods because I just plan on staying at 9 psi and my car idles and drives perfect besides the hot start. Tuned by Auto Motion in Louisville KY
Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 AM
athenG

/\ + 1 Not everyone have a problem with hot start especially people running smaller than 500cc injector like me.. Unless drivability is a #1 priority then utec is good for low-medium boost. I also have a Meth kit and it work fine by itself. Unless you are one of those driver that don't check your meth level at all then that is a different story.

OP, what meth kit do you have anyways? If you have one of those fancy Aquamist and I mean the high end one that has lots of bells and whistle then having your meth run as a standalone is suffice.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:13 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I run my meth setup off my UTEC no problems. Dropping 2k+ on a Haltech would essentially be just so you could say you have a Haltech. Vortechs dont push enough power to warrant the extra controls and features of the Haltech. In the end its your money, but your car wont know the difference.

Now if you have a built turbo setup with cams, Haltech no doubt.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 AM
athenG

/\ Utec only control your meth activation right? I think what the OP want is for the EMS to switch map automatically when he's out of Meth or if there is a problem with the kit (ie clog nozzle, flow problem..etc). Honestly, it takes me 4-5 tank of gas to finish up 1 Gallon mix, if you don't check your meth level in that span then you are begging for it. Most advance Meth Kit has flow, clog..etc detector that is very nice but unless you have them then you might as well have your meth kit can work as a standalone and stick with Utec.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 AM
350Z400rwhp

I can't even tell my Utec is there and no hot start issues even with my 600cc DW's (Thanks Sharif). The meth works fine on its own. I can't see spending that kind of money on an EMS only having a supercharger unless you are going really high boost. Maybe I just got lucky though.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
frankie945

I'm using the Snow Performance stage II kit and fill up Once every 3 to 4 tanks of fuel. Snow performance upgraded there nozzles to all steel to so you don't half to worry about the nozzle blowing apart when you hit boost.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...tall-350z.html

Last edited by frankie945; 07-18-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 AM
TinmansZ

I'm running the Aquamist HFS-5 set up, I choose it in part for it's multiple safety features. Problem is I didn't realize that the Utec is unable to switch to a safe map in the event of a plugged spray nozzle or lack of fluid exc. Hal has assured me that he can use the Haltech to take full advantage of the Aquamist system.

I know it's not a huge deal on the hot starts, but yea know when I'm in the gas station normally I get lots of stares and I just hate when I have to crank the car over a time or two to get it to start. Makes me feel like ***.

And yes drive ability is a big deal to me, I've dumped close to 30k into this car so far in parts, rims, tires exc. and I want it to run perfect not just OK. So good choice bad choice I don't personally know, but I will before long.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions it's easy to get caught up in just buying more parts and not thinking about all the consequences or problems you create which leads to buying more parts to make things work right.

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ + 1 Not everyone have a problem with hot start especially people running smaller than 500cc injector like me.. Unless drivability is a #1 priority then utec is good for low-medium boost. I also have a Meth kit and it work fine by itself. Unless you are one of those driver that don't check your meth level at all then that is a different story.

OP, what meth kit do you have anyways? If you have one of those fancy Aquamist and I mean the high end one that has lots of bells and whistle then having your meth run as a standalone is suffice.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
athenG

/\ Some of us don't have access to unlimited funds so we choose very carefully on what parts to buy or replace. In your case then if you don't mind spending more $$$ to solve the drivability, hot-start, and incorporate your meth kit with your EMS then go for it. I'm also thinking of switching to Haltech but I have more things on my list like bigger injector, replace FMIC, Spare Drag tires/setup..etc so until I get that resolved then I'm sticking with Utec since it does the job well for what it is intended for.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
350Z400rwhp

"I've dumped close to 30k into this car so far in parts, rims, tires exc. and I want it to run perfect not just OK. So good choice bad choice I don't personally know, but I will before long.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions it's easy to get caught up in just buying more parts and not thinking about all the consequences or problems you create which leads to buying more parts to make things work right.[/QUOTE]"

Well that's now 32K lol just kiddin. Good luck with the new EMS!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by TinmansZ
I'm running the Aquamist HFS-5 set up, I choose it in part for it's multiple safety features. Problem is I didn't realize that the Utec is unable to switch to a safe map in the event of a plugged spray nozzle or lack of fluid exc. Hal has assured me that he can use the Haltech to take full advantage of the Aquamist system.

I know it's not a huge deal on the hot starts, but yea know when I'm in the gas station normally I get lots of stares and I just hate when I have to crank the car over a time or two to get it to start. Makes me feel like ***.

And yes drive ability is a big deal to me, I've dumped close to 30k into this car so far in parts, rims, tires exc. and I want it to run perfect not just OK. So good choice bad choice I don't personally know, but I will before long.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions it's easy to get caught up in just buying more parts and not thinking about all the consequences or problems you create which leads to buying more parts to make things work right.
Given what you have said, you will not be happy with the UTEC. I feel the same way and with 400-500 to the wheels and lots of $$$ invested, I wanted my car to drive PERFECTLY. It now starts on the first crank everytime, cold or warm, with 1000 cc HKS injectors and the Haltech. It idles perfectly at 800 rpms (JWT S2 cams). I can adjust driveability, economy, performance depending on various factors (load, temperature, throttle, etc) to suit my specific needs. The Haltech has access to the car's CAN bus and with those parameters as data feeds, the applications are numerous (e.g. traction control). Or how about adjust METH injection based on intake air temperature? Forget about the safety features on your aquamist - just set up an ignition vs. AIT map so that when the METH runs out for whatever reason, you can retard timing automatically. No worries!

I can also set up my car PC to display what I want to see on the display - check out the attached pic.

All that said, there are some things I am still waiting for (like the 32 input/output module and full Dashdaq integration [though I found out today it is compatible already - refer to www.dashdaq.com]).

It's not about the Haltech being suitable or better for high power builds. It's better for ALL builds, small or large. The UTEC is good for what it was designed for at that price point. My first UTEC unit caused one bank of injectors to stay stuck open - wasn't too happy about that - but the replacement worked fine - well I thought it was fine until I found out what a true standalone could do... Good luck with your choice!
Attached Thumbnails From Utec to Haltech-untitled-1.jpg   From Utec to Haltech-100_1140b.jpg  

Last edited by rcdash; 07-18-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM
taurran

I remember once when I was getting used to the triple disc clutch engagement I stalled the car at a light on a busy downtown street (yep newb), and the warm car wouldn't even turn over with the UTEC until I pushed it to the side and let it sit for a few minutes. It sucked to say the least.

I've got a Haltech but have never actually driven the car on it. I hope that once I get it back it will be worth it.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by taurran
I remember once when I was getting used to the triple disc clutch engagement I stalled the car at a light on a busy downtown street (yep newb), and the warm car wouldn't even turn over with the UTEC until I pushed it to the side and let it sit for a few minutes. It sucked to say the least.

I've got a Haltech but have never actually driven the car on it. I hope that once I get it back it will be worth it.
As good as the Haltech is, the best part of the Hal-tech is "Hal". He's a remote tuning/tweaking wizard and works tirelessly to make sure every Haltech owner is happy. You won't be disappointed Craig. If anything is not perfect, just give Hal a ring and he'll have you fixed up in one e-mail and a single 10 second upload, more than likely.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

....the best part of the Hal-tech is "Hal". ....

Hal is a good guy

Quick Reply: From Utec to Haltech