Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy TT Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:06 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure wish i had done it this way but i am to damned stubborn and said to myself you can do it in the car...................what a moron i am sometimes.The hard part is over as bolting the manifolds and the rest of the kit is easy but wait to you hook up the ic piping and look at the greddy instructions for them.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Day 2.

Bolted everything up, and we managed to get the motor back in. The problems we had the studs were resolved by using the stock studs. We found that the Greddy studs werent stronger, just shorter for clearance issues on the manifold. We used 2 stock studs in places where we had clearance. Worked out well.

I have to say the Greddy instructions provided might be the worst instructions ever with the worst pictures ever. Im glad I did alot of research prior to all of this.

I switched the oil feed fittings to the "preferred' way with the sensor on the end.

New Pressure Plate, and ACT 6 Puck Race Clutch. Man that will be "fun" to drive...

Comin Together

Driver Side

Oil Pan Spacer and -8N Return Lines

Oil Feed Lines

Trans Back on.

Waste Gates on.

My GF brought my good camera later on...

Ready to go back in...

After some fussin about.
In!

Better shot of spacer

Hi car. You look better.

Clearer shot of Oil Feed lines and sensor.

Return.

Big ****ing Intercooler.

Piping.

Hi Turbos in there..

Wastegates in car.

Old Clutch line, will be replaced with a Kevlar coated line.

Workbench

Tool Cart

Lots of Plastic!

Heat wrapped the harness.

Called it a day.

Hopefully we can button up most of it tomorrow. Wish us luck!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
chopperman

Looks like its going really good for you. Good job
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 AM
350Z400rwhp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet build! Hey just my 2 cents, it looks like one of your oil return lines goes up and then down, not sure how the Greddy's are but I know everyone says return lines should be straight down with as few cures as possible.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good so far.......congrats.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
RandomHer0

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Sweet build! Hey just my 2 cents, it looks like one of your oil return lines goes up and then down, not sure how the Greddy's are but I know everyone says return lines should be straight down with as few cures as possible.
Ya I resolved that a bit better today, as far as I know it's gravity doing the work so the less it curves the better...

Man what a day...

I'll post up more pics today, I tried to take lots because If I can help anyone with their build I can, I dont know how many times I've used rrmedix pictures. I think his mock up was wrong in some places so that confused me. We'll see...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:48 PM
RandomHer0

Day 3.

Today was about as painfull and frustrating as it gets, I think my car pushed Getty (my tech) to his limits, the clearances for everything are rediculous. Today was mostly all the "little stuff" that takes a long time. Seems like every charge pipe took an hour to install. Oh and that Turbo XS Boost Control Solenoid I took shipment of today, yeah it's mising the 3 nipple for the 3rd vaccum line. Awesome.

All the little inconsistancies between the 350Z Kit and G35 showed their ugly faces today, from mounting brackets not lining up, to G35 parts being in the way. We still don't understand this one, the Intercooler instructions say remove the front brace. Never says to re-install it. If my car so much as touches something or I get bumped in a parking lot, it could be a very costly "fender bender"

In hind-sight, that 1K I saved buying a used 350Z kit and making it work with the G35, not worth the headaches. I just hope it starts, and runs Ok.

Once we put the front end back together, we could see the car coming back to life which gave us motivation to keep pushing. All piping is connected, all harnesses and brackets are back on, fuel injectors, plugs, plenum...

We made good progress, just alot of little things though. Still got EMS which I started and already took out the Stock ECU from the car, still have Fuel Pump to install, Boost Controller, Zeitronix, Wiring...

Day 3.

Getty grinding down the top of the Stock Fuel rails, so the larger injectors will clear the plenum. (Stupid, I know)

Fuel Rails on.

Attacking the Stock ECU.

Trying to work in the small space where the turbos are...

We found out that this kit was made for cars that don't have upgraded sways, another one of those gremlins that takes time to fix. We moved the oil line and created the space we need.

Intake Plenum back on...

Greddy TT installation made possible by...

Putting front end back on.

Intake charge pipe with BOV.

Wow kinda looks like a car again...this is promising.

Fitting the IC to the car, Getty had to fab up some magic of his since it seems the 350Z mounting bracket at the top is shorter than what is found on the G35.

Big and juicy!

Piping up to Maf, and Intake.

Elbow from IC to Piping, and up.

Dual Inlet Tank.

Starting to see a light at the end...

Tight fit across the bottom to the driver side turbo.

Piping from turbos into tank.

Thats where we ended it today. Some hiccups from 417 nissan giving me the wrong gaskets, and A/C belts, plus the Boost Controller has me a bit annoyed.

Ahwell, after a dedicated 3 days the schedule is in Gettys hands now.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Nice thread..... Thanks for sharing..
Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Nice thread! Now please clean your engine...looks like you've be driving it in the desert.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 AM
RandomHer0

LOL I know it bothers me too, the other thing that bothers me is losing the front bracing and supports. Is that right? The FMIC doesn't fit unless the supports and brace are removed.

Really??
Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
350Z400rwhp

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
LOL I know it bothers me too, the other thing that bothers me is losing the front bracing and supports. Is that right? The FMIC doesn't fit unless the supports and brace are removed.

Really??
Yup kinda dangerous if you ask me, I don't have my front brace in either because of piping. Looks like you are on the home stretch though, hang in there! One thing I would make sure while you have the car on a lift and all is to put foam in between any pipes that may come in contact with each other. I spent a lot of time resolving this issue after my Vortech install, ya still want your car to sound stock while going over bumps!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM
RandomHer0

^^ Ya now that all the piping is in, we are looking at it thinking there will be lots of vibration. The other thing is although my manifolds and hot parts are Cermakhrome treated, there is that one coupler on the passenger side turbo that is really close to the manifold. How much heat can those take??
Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
350Z400rwhp

^^ Ya now that all the piping is in, we are looking at it thinking there will be lots of vibration. The other thing is although my manifolds and hot parts are Cermakhrome treated, there is that one coupler on the passenger side turbo that is really close to the manifold. How much heat can those take??
I hate to say it now but welding those up pipes off the turbo would of been a good thing to do while the engine was out. I have seen a few on here where the heat burnt through the rubber coupler on the Greddy. I would make sure to wrap everything you can in that area. Here is a thread on this very issue. https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...w-out-fix.html

Last edited by 350Z400rwhp; 08-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:20 PM
RandomHer0

Yeah I saw that, it's too late now like you said, I have Cermakromed the manifolds, so hopefully that helps.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:21 PM
RandomHer0

Day 4.

Getty called me, wanted to go work on the car some more today. I was stoked. Ended up not needing longer coupler like I thought I did for the MAF housing to the up-pipe, with some fine tuning of the IC piping it all came together nicely.

Snags for today, need to find some molex connectors, not the molex itself but the metal pins inside to connect my Boost Controller, and MAP Sensor to the UTEC. Also need to find the 3rd fitting for the Boost Controller, Ill check at Canadian Tire tomorrow to see what I can come up with.

On to some pics;

Tools of the trade..

Installing the Air Filter, the awesome way.

Decent.

It be tight in hurr...

Put the rear section of exhaust back on.

The Gettyman welding on my Wideband Sensor bung.

Shes got her face back on!

Stealthy, sadly, no air flow with the stock bumper.

Test Pipes on.

Wideband Sensor.

Wires running up the trans harness to the engine bay.

Wheels back on.

Now some wiring, EGT Probe, Boost Controller, Map Sensor, Wideband...

Easy for Getty, looks OEM.

UTEC Stacked ontop of Stock ECU with Bracket.

Engine Bay.

With some finessing we managed to get the wheel well shrouds on.

Now some plumbing, Vaccuum lines from Wastegates up to the engine bay.

And thats where we leave her for today...

Hi Car.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:01 PM
RandomHer0

Can anyone tell me what the UTEC MAP Sensor plugs into? Somewhere on the intake manifold?

I have the Turbo XS BCS, and I think the plubming goes something like this.

I know, crappy picture. Does that make sense?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:11 PM
NETSHARK

Glad all turned out well BTW dude forget the 3rd fitting on the Boost Control Solenoid no need to find it !! at all, just check this Diagram:

http://www.turboxs.com/utec350zbcsupdate.htm

and also check Andrew`s setup here

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...read-size.html

the one in the middle is left alone !! its vented to atmosphere so no need to connect it anywhere, just move the fitting from the middle to the side and follow the diagram of the plumbing and ur set ooh and for the molex its the same as the ATX Computer Power Supply so just snap it from any used or super low cheapo ATX Power Supply.

BTW i just wanted to know why did u put the BOV right after the MAF ? it should be before it unless ur planing on running a Stand-alone EMS in the near future.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:20 PM
NETSHARK

Can anyone tell me what the UTEC MAP Sensor plugs into? Somewhere on the intake manifold?

I have the Turbo XS BCS, and I think the plubming goes something like this.

I know, crappy picture. Does that make sense?
You Got it man, just Delete the line going to the BOV and add/do this:

From the Intake Manifold ---> Wastegate Side Ports(already done), BOV, MAP Sensor, Boost Gauge.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:06 AM
RandomHer0

Oh ok so the BOV comes from the Intake Plenum too? Wow alot coming from there eh...

Good to know about the BCS too, Ill switch the fitting, I thought "Vent to atmosphere" meant to BOV then it gets vented to Atmosphere.

Also the BOV is after the MAF because it was a used kit, and well...thats how it came. Is that a large problem?

Thanks guys. Almost there...

Last edited by RandomHer0; 08-03-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 AM
RandomHer0

Im trying to figure out the wiring for the Zeitronix too, it has a 12 pin connector with wires. The 12 pin connector on the Zt-2, some of those wires tap into the ECU wires right? Like Green=RPM, ORANGE= Boost (MAP) (where does that tap?), GREY=TPS. Not all of them connect right?

Should I have bought the Zeitronix Map/Boost Sensor as well? Not just the Turbo XS?

I have the service manual with the PIN layouts for ECU...

Last edited by RandomHer0; 08-03-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Greddy TT Installation