Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great thread. If any of you ever decide to have a PCV valve with a larger inside diameter machined out of aluminum, count me in on the deal.

It also seems interesting to me that everyone thinks a functional PCV valve that creates crankcase vacuum is better for performance than eliminating the burned gas and oil from the air flow into the plenum. I wonder if that's actually true.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Anyone willing to give it a try? This is probably the easiest version to try. No Drilling! Just put a 'T' pipe in between the 2 valve cover vents and put a filter on it.
Or:
Just route the oil catch can in between the 2 valve covers with the catch can vented.
Great thought - vapors don't have to travel from the driver's side across to the passenger side - both can exit at the center. The PCV would have to be drilled out to allow fresh air in.

Okay, I'm sending my manifold off to be powder coated, will see if I can snap a pic of the opening on those nipples on the inside of the valve covers...
Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
rcdash

Looks like 3/8" tubes at the front of each valve cover. Does anyone have a picture from underneath the valve cover handy? I'd like to see if there's any downside to venting from the center ports that connect the two valve covers.

EDIT, found this:

Looks good - this should double the flow capacity for evacuating cc gases. Nice thought Rmedicx!

Last edited by rcdash; 02-28-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:02 AM
350zzzgunnar

This is how I've solved it
Name:  vevhusvent-1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  23.5 KB
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by 350zzzgunnar
This is how I've solved it
Yep that works. Only thing I have added is vacuum applied from turbo intake to catch can 2. Catch can 1 is an open breather to both drilled out PCV and driver's side rear port (to allow ventilation). Check valves in place to maintain vacuum in crankcase.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM
350zzzgunnar

Originally Posted by rcdash
Yep that works. Only thing I have added is vacuum applied from turbo intake to catch can 2. Catch can 1 is an open breather to both drilled out PCV and driver's side rear port (to allow ventilation). Check valves in place to maintain vacuum in crankcase.
Oh, good point got to breath both vale covers though can 1. Do you use check vavles there as well (but turned at the opposite direction)?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
rcdash

Oh, good point got to breath both vale covers though can 1. Do you use check vavles there as well (but turned at the opposite direction)?
I have a check valve point away from the plenum (like you except mine is "after" the can and closer to the plenum).

I have a check valve point towards the turbo intake (to prevent air from going from the turbo intake into the plenum during idle and during surge conditions when the recirc BOV opens).

Both of these provide suction to can 2, which draws out vapor from both valve covers as you diagrammed. For me can 2 does not have an open breather. It is a sealed system.

I do have an open breather on can 1 BUT don't use check valves with can 1 just in case can 2 cannot breathe adequately enough, then all 4 ports on the valve covers can be used to evacuate gases though I hope most of the time can 1 will be drawing in fresh air and feeding it to both crankcases to allow ventilation.

Since can 2 is where most of the oil will be going, I'm changing out my DIY can with a larger baffled version from the corvette builder in Florida (like the elite can, http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com/). It is back ordered though . Getting some powder coating done during the downtime though.

Last edited by rcdash; 03-01-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 AM
350zzzgunnar

Great thpughts rcdash! I just love your highly qualified aswers
So I'm lchanging my system to this
Name:  vevhusvent-1-1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  25.5 KB
Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 AM
rcdash

Great thpughts rcdash! I just love your highly qualified aswers
So I'm lchanging my system to this
Yep - that looks good. Mine is nearly identical except I use the pre-compressor intake piping as a vacuum source during boost. What do you do with the rear driver's side port?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 PM
tony_t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question for you guys.. why is catch can #1 necessary? Isnt that for a fresh air source? The only reason you would want the catch can there is in case it pukes oil out correct?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
citymunky

So much info: But it confuse me a bit. I hope i got this right. So here is my ghetto diagram.

Here is the catch can I'm using, keep in mind I have a G35. I will be adding extra ports.
Attached Thumbnails NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?-citymunky-s-pvc.jpg  
Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
rcdash

^^^ If you orient the check valves correctly, I think that will work.

I've gone through another iteration of re-plumbing. The crankcase breather setup works, but it does dump fuel vapor out. You can minimize that with the plenum attachment for the hard vacuum on decel, but I ended up collecting more oil in the plenum than I wanted, even with the catch can in place (with the baffle, filter, etc).

Now I've gone to a design recommended by Joe Kenefic (the "MadScientist"). I have reconnected the central hose between valve covers and I'm running both passenger and driver's side vent to a greddy catch can that has been baffled with metal mesh screens and vacuum is provided from the driver's side turbo intake with a Krankvent valve in place (http://www.et-performance.com/). I haven't tested this out yet.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-13-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
mx594

I've gone through another iteration of re-plumbing. The crankcase breather setup works, but it does dump fuel vapor out. You can minimize that with the plenum attachment for the hard vacuum on decel, but I ended up collecting more oil in the plenum than I wanted, even with the catch can in place (with the baffle, filter, etc).

Now I've gone to a design recommended by Joe Kenefic (the "MadScientist"). I have reconnected the central hose between valve covers and I'm running both passenger and driver's side vent to a greddy catch can that has been baffled with metal mesh screens and vacuum is provided from the driver's side turbo intake with a Krankvent valve in place (http://www.et-performance.com/). I haven't tested this out yet.
This sounds like it will work well with blow thru MAF setups. I am having trouble tuning my UTEC at low load and idle with a blow thru MAF. I did some testing with the pcv plugged and idle improved quite a bit. The PCV is sitting there just pulling air into the plenum and is basically a pre MAF vacuum leak. I have my drivers side hose connected to the turbo inlet just like the JWT kit.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
citymunky

Time to bring this thread back to to life. I been very busy these last few months, that I didn't have time to thing about modding.

Anyway I sent my pic to a friend of mine and this was his reply

no! you will have a vaccum leak if you set up your catch like that and your not providing any suction durning boost

Originally Posted by citymunky
Does this seem right to you?

Now I feel----> I'm going to try to make another pic base of the info of this thread, I'll post as soon as I'm finish.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM
rcdash

Wow, that's a little convoluted. You just need to use the manifold for vacuum during idle/decel and use the turbo intake as vacuum during boost. You can get away with one catch can by using check valves to ensure air only leaves the catch can regardless of boost/vacuum in the manifold. Or you can use 2 catch cans but you still need a check valve to prevent boost from the manifold from going back into the catch can. Some folks ONLY use the turbo intake. I tried that but I would get some smoking at idle (either out the tailpipes or out the engine breather if I used an open breather in the engine bay) so I went back to using the manifold for vacuum during idle (generates 5 psi of vacuum in the crank case).
Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Here's what I did:

1. Removed pass side PCV, installed 5/8 barb
2. Ran a separate hose from each valve cover to Greddy catch can
3. Vent catch can to atmosphere through small filter

No smoking under boost, no smoking at idle, no oil in intake. Does its job perfectly.

Last edited by Chris@FsP; 04-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 AM
tony_t

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Here's what I did:

No smoking under boost, no smoking at idle, no oil in intake. Does its job perfectly.
Do you have any pictures of the engine side of your setup?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:16 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Here's what I did:

any check valves installed in those lines?

are you using MAF tuning with this method? if so how did it affect the tune (if any at all)?

Did you just cap off the original barb on the plenum that used to connect to the pcv valve?

how does this affect the vacuum on the valve cover at idle (since it won't have a vacuum source anymore)
This sounds like the simplest way and i like that.

Last edited by binder; 11-29-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tony_t
Do you have any pictures of the engine side of your setup?
I can try to get some.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by binder
any check valves installed in those lines?
No check valves.

are you using MAF tuning with this method? if so how did it affect the tune (if any at all)?
Using speed density with the Haltech. I'm actually getting ready to install a a separate AIT sensor in the plenum and ditch the MAF sensors completely.

Did you just cap off the original barb on the plenum that used to connect to the pcv valve?
Yes.

how does this affect the vacuum on the valve cover at idle (since it won't have a vacuum source anymore)
This sounds like the simplest way and i like that.
My take on the whole vacuum thing is this: when 'positive pressure' builds up in the block, you should not need any vacuum to help draw it out.

Quick Reply: NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?