Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AznSky
Or you could always title it here in Michigan........lord knows all the muscle car guys will never vote for emissions/inspections.
Right..... and I can buy a house for like $50 . Believe me, if it comes to that, I will find a way.

[QUOTECongrats! Does the idle sound of your new engine sounds similar to the idling video you have on your previous engine?][/QUOTE]

Its slightly tough to compare since the idle is so high right now, but the tone of the motor is markedly different. The first build had a ton of drivetrain noise (valves and such), the second time it was smoother, but this time the car just purrs. I met up with jtgli last night and took him for a ride and he remarked at how smooth the tune was. Other than the clutch and idle, the car feels like stock

Turned the meth on for the first time last night and all I can say is WOW . Its like a different car, Jon and I just kind of shook our heads in disbelief. The car has soooooo much more left in it up top.

I didn't realize that jtgli is widely known just north of me as a beat down king in our area. I went to a local meet with him last night and everyone knew him and his car, lots of cars (tastefully riced mostly) for a cold Thursday night and Evos everywhere. I got to meet blinkerfuild as well, he seems like a very cool dude and has crazy mechanical skills, but he left his TT G and monster DSM at home.

I'm still getting a feel for the car and the learning curve is steep. The slip light coming on over 80mph is somewhat unsettling, but it doesn't appear to be cutting power, so I have to find out from Dave what this means. So far I have been too scared to do full throttle pulls with the traction control off (there may be a tuck rule on that soon).

I figured out this morning that the Tein EDFC settings are counter to my logic. The higher #'s are softer and lower are harder. I had it set at 15F/13R and the car felt spongy under had acceleration, reset it this morning to 8F/9R, so I will see if that helps. Slowly but surely all the FAIL is fading away and the WIN is coming through, this whole ordeal may have been worth it after all.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris are you boosting with VDC on?

I would advise against it. You pretty much ALWAYS have to turn it off to go WOT in a straight line. If the slip light illuminates the VDC is beginning to sense wheelspin, if you stay on it it will lead to a nasty cut in power.

As "pu$$y" as it sounds I dont ever turn my VDC off around the corners, I can drive FAST with it on, and its makes you drive super smooth. I remember years ago at ZdayZ when I told the guys that, they were like "WTF no way!" and then I of course I proved it as I stayed on their a$$. Its not worth wrapping my money pit around a tree on the street, its my limit.

Sorry for the OT ^^, but always turn it off going straight you have to learn to peddle the car, start in 2nd gear on an open road and let it spin to redline, get used to that feeling. Right before the shift to 3rd, stop going WOT for a brief second so the car gets composed again and bang the shift. NEVER grab a fast gear when spinning or you will continue to in the next gear except it will get harder to control. Done many 2-3's spinning hard without letting up only to find myself pointing wayyyy sideways and having to abort the run. And on that note, if you ever find yourself spinning at the top of 3rd and its starting to really kick sideways, dont let off the gas completely or you will lose it. It would feel natural to but just let off about 50% the car will catch traction again and you can point it straight...

Damn that was wayyy to long of a post....

Last edited by Alberto; 10-02-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 AM
jtgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night was a lot of fun. Glad after everything the blue beast was finally able to make an appereance up this way. Its funny how you were there for not even a minute and everyone wanted to run you and see what its got. Some people just dont understand that the Z can make badass power. I also have to say how sad you made me feel when you took me for a ride. Ha my car felt (keyword felt) fast until riding in yours. Your car is full of win now Chris and Im glad you can finally enjoy it.
BTW I think your car is still louder than mine....at idle
Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

People actually race in PA? The scene around here is weaksauce mostly.

When I get around to fixing my $hitbox I'll have to take a trip up so us 3 can go out and terrorize people!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM
jtgli

You'd be suprised what goes on around here Alberto. Its not just the racing but the cars that come out in this area the really suprise some of us including me (tt vettes, supras, a few tt 350'z now haha) but its funny the amount of nice cars in this area. If you ever want to come up and hurt some feelings come up on a thursday night. Every thursday there is a fairly good sized car meet at a local pizza shop, and the best thing of all is the cops dont bother us or care since theyre all friends with the pizza shops owners.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 for disabling VDC going in a straight line. VDC/TCS (depending on your car/model/year) can significantly cut power by reducing throttle and applying brakes. If you can spin the tires and still go relatively straight, I wouldn't worry too much about turning off VDC (when on a straight road). I also keep VDC on at ZdayZ - scary enough looking at those cliff faces going slow. If you don't go straight when you loose traction, then check your suspension/tire setup before pushing it.

Last edited by rcdash; 10-02-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

VDC also does work to well when you have 2 or 3 degrees of camber (road race setup). On my car it was kicking in while turning even though I was not anywhere near breaking the tires loose.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Forgot to mention the another member was there as well last night Blk350z, always nice to see John. I still want his rims and he may have a project coming soon.... start now man.... really!!

When I get around to fixing my $hitbox I'll have to take a trip up so us 3 can go out and terrorize people!
You'd be suprised what goes on around here Alberto. Its not just the racing but the cars that come out in this area the really suprise some of us including me (tt vettes, supras, a few tt 350'z now haha) but its funny the amount of nice cars in this area. If you ever want to come up and hurt some feelings come up on a thursday night. Every thursday there is a fairly good sized car meet at a local pizza shop, and the best thing of all is the cops dont bother us or care since theyre all friends with the pizza shops owners.
+1 - I was amazed at how many people came out and were looking to run and the utter lack of police presence given the number of loud exhausts, rev ups and wheel spinning that was going on.

I'm getting the slip light, but the traction control doesn't seem to be cutting in like it used to with the Utec. I don't know if the ViPEC is stopping it from intervening or the Quaife is causing some sort of false signal. Either way, I will apply the driving primer Alberto gave me and see if that gives me confidence (thanks bro ).

When the car spins it at least seems to stay straight for the most part, no complete sideways action yet. I think setting the coilovers to a stiffer setting may help as well.

BTW.... its officially beer o'clock, please enjoy an adult beverage of your choosing. Cheers!!

Last edited by Cass007; 10-02-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Getting ready to leave work early and start consuming alcohol myself

<----wants to see street vids

Get yourself a 3 pod sticky mount from www.chasecam.com ...after the money spent on the builds its chump change to capture footage.

Last edited by Alberto; 10-02-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cass007
BTW.... its officially beer o'clock, please enjoy an adult beverage of your choosing. Cheers!!

Although it's Jack o'clock for me.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 AM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by Alberto
+1

Dorsey rd on saturdays are ok though.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 AM
BlinkerFluid

Don't I even get an honorable mention?

Good finally meeting you in person Cass. Next time I'll have one of the cars out.

And like I was telling jtgli, I got the cage, ID2000 injectors, and the boost turned up in the red car.

*Edit* I see I have to update my sig.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
jtgli

Yea Chris way to not mention Jesse hahahaha. I still like you Jesse.
There was a video made of me vs a 61mm Evo last night. Ill see if I can get the Evo owner to upload the vid onto youtube or something, or see if Chris was able to get his camera working in time Ill ask him.

Last edited by jtgli; 10-02-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I didn't realize that jtgli is widely known just north of me as a beat down king in our area. I went to a local meet with him last night and everyone knew him and his car, lots of cars (tastefully riced mostly) for a cold Thursday night and Evos everywhere. I got to meet blinkerfuild as well, he seems like a very cool dude and has crazy mechanical skills, but he left his TT G and monster DSM at home.
Hello... it was right there... shoutout to Jesse , gotta read the whole post

There was a video made of me vs a 61mm Evo last night. Ill see if I can get the Evo owner to upload the vid onto youtube or something, or see if Chris was able to get his camera working in time Ill ask him.
I got some really bad vid of you hitting the throttle and the Evo disappearing behind you on the drivers side. I told you we had to switch lanes so I could film him in the side view as you drove away.

Last edited by Cass007; 10-02-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your slip light goes off?? Mine is always on because the Vi-PEC now runs the throttle so the ECU has no idea what is going on. Do you have cruise control? and does the factory VDC work? It shouldn't if the Vi-Pec is running the throttle none of those things should work and the slip will be always on. Anyway congrats on getting everything ironed out, I am driving mine again but i need a re-tune for the bigger cams.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 PM
BlinkerFluid

Ha! Completely missed it.

Glad to see you enjoying your car though!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Your slip light goes off?? Mine is always on because the Vi-PEC now runs the throttle so the ECU has no idea what is going on. Do you have cruise control? and does the factory VDC work? It shouldn't if the Vi-Pec is running the throttle none of those things should work and the slip will be always on. Anyway congrats on getting everything ironed out, I am driving mine again but i need a re-tune for the bigger cams.
The lights come on, but only under heavy accelleration and it doesn't appear to be cutting the throttle. I will have to check tomorrow and see if I can make the VDC intervine. I will check the cruise control as well.

Any ideas on how to get the ViPEC to hold a lower idle?

BTW, was that you with the truck pushing crazy HP spinning tires all the way down the parking lot? If so, the pizza guys were trying to get me to race you on your 15lb boost setting.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
BlinkerFluid

Originally Posted by Cass007
BTW, was that you with the truck pushing crazy HP spinning tires all the way down the parking lot? If so, the pizza guys were trying to get me to race you on your 15lb boost setting.
Who me?

Nah, I don't do that kind of stuff in the lot and my truck is diesel. I know that guy though, supposedly it makes 1000HP to the tire and ran high 10's at 140MPH in the 1/4.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt your VDC does much if anything anymore since the Vipec is running the throttle.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

no new pics? fail

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress