Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thefireboy
for sure man.. just let me know. and not to get off topic but my g got rear ended yesterday. so now its a race to get everything fix by the show on the 21....
i need something good to happen now
- another Mid-A ride goes down. This is getting out of hand. I hope you can get your repairs done before the show.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
thefireboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh i will i am in good hands and its not down, just got into alittle scuffle.. sorry to thread jack. back on topic now...
Old 02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

^^^^^ I like your sig......its catching on
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
thefireboy

sure is people will get the hint soon enough
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Rikker

Originally Posted by Cass007
I belive so, just repeating the lingo used by the guy that was helping me out. Any opinion on benefits?
Extrude Hone is a company in PA. I've seen numerous positive reviews of the process. Here is one describing a 20% flow increase on a Mustang intake after the process, which they quote as "not expensive". Check the story and make your own call.

Extrude Hone
1 Industry Boulevard
Irwin, PA 15642
724/863-5900
800/613-1065
www.extrudehone.com

Like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting when you get your car together and get some dyno and street tests done!

Good luck,

Rick
Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Rikker
Extrude Hone is a company in PA. I've seen numerous positive reviews of the process. Here is one describing a 20% flow increase on a Mustang intake after the process, which they quote as "not expensive". Check the story and make your own call.
I will give them a call and find out how "not expensive" it is to do the plenum and intake. I may just wait and see what develops with the new CJM intake. Thanks for the info Rick.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
terps

call head games and see what they say. i know they redid your head work and i recall one of the issues with the head work was the finish on it. you know what i mean. talk to someone who know what thier talkin about. some people will sell a service just too make $$$. not saying thier isnt a place for it but i dont think yo build would benifit from it. intensesG with 900+ didnt have it done, or atleast didnt state they did
Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by terps
call head games and see what they say. i know they redid your head work and i recall one of the issues with the head work was the finish on it. you know what i mean. talk to someone who know what thier talkin about. some people will sell a service just too make $$$. not saying thier isnt a place for it but i dont think yo build would benifit from it. intensesG with 900+ didnt have it done, or atleast didnt state they did
- good idea on that. I'll ask Frank to call HeadGames - he wasn't the most personable guy when I spoke with him - . I agree that the head work was not a must, except in my case it was a correctional issue as you stated.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Lights in House!!

I actually got the lights back at my house today and they are full of win!!! A very minor blemish here and there, but I am a perfectionist and am VERY hard to please 100% (my poor wife).

Everything came back labeled and wiring looks very simple, should only take some basic tools, some time and for it to not be 20 degrees outside.

CiNcity Designs - FTW!!!

http://www.cincitydesigns.com/

A few points before the haters come out. My headlight covers were not even close to 100% when I sent them in, I took pics before I shipped them out and they look exactly the same. Nic even took the time to call me to make sure I knew they had issues prior to beginning work on my lights and I decided not to replace the lenses with new ones at this time. The paint match is perfect, the two tone look is because the hood is still covered in salt dust from trailering the car to Baltimore and its been too cold to wash it. Lastly, the light is just sitting in the socket, its not secured at all, so thats why the gaps are off.
Attached Thumbnails My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04299.jpg   My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04298.jpg   My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04297.jpg   My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04296.jpg   My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04295.jpg  

Last edited by Cass007; 02-04-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

I just got off the phone with Extrude Hone - it sounded like a very small shop (no receptionist and no professional greeting).

Anyway, the intake would be $395 and the plenum is also $395, or both for $755. I think I will pass for now and see if I max out the turbos, but if I ever decide to join the 800+whp club I think this may have some benefit.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Extrude hone-what a waste of time/$$$ for 99% of people...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Alberto
I agree, but just wanted to get info on all options before final assembly is done since its so crappy out I wouldn't be driving my Z anyway.

Besides, I need to find every advantage I can, rumor has it there are some really fast cars and great drivers in the Mid-A .
Old 02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by Cass007
I agree, but just wanted to get info on all options before final assembly is done since its so crappy out I wouldn't be driving my Z anyway.

Besides, I need to find every advantage I can, rumor has it there are some really fast cars and great drivers in the Mid-A .
You are right.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thefireboy
for sure man.. just let me know. and not to get off topic but my g got rear ended yesterday. so now its a race to get everything fix by the show on the 21....
i need something good to happen now
WHAT?!!?!?!?! I just saw your car in perfect shape a few weeks ago. Hope she's in good hands!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Rikker

Originally Posted by Alberto
Hmm, interesting opinion w/o supporting facts.

The background I've gotten has been that since they have to make a custom rig to allow the extrusion of the abrasive mixture for each item, the price is high given a single unit. I recall several manufacturers (Ford, for their Cobra R I think?) plus large-name tuners using them for intake smoothing, but I would assume that's because they were able to get enough quantity to drive the price down. I wasn't going to make that call for you, Cass, since I think you've spent $1000 on powder-coating!

Still enjoying the build notes... can't want for the final installment!

Luck,

Rick
Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Did some quick math and its real close to $1000 on the powder coat. I'm picking up the last few pieces this weekend - WOOT!!!

I spoke with both Frank Hill and Dave Shiroma today so we could get a rough timeline for the motor swap, rear diff install, coilover install, meth kit install, turbo install, dyno break-in and tuning. Right now it its looking like the first week in March.
This timeline is good for me as well since I want to relocate my stereo components (I-pod connection, flash drive reader, Sirius connection box and blue tooth) to the rear cubby compartment to make room for the meth guage and the EDFC unit. I also want to run the interior wires for the EDFC and subwoofer unit I just purchased. Oh, and I need to run several wires for the controls on my light mods since I want them all to work independently of one another.
Pics of these projects and some of the progress Frank has made on the motor coming over the next few days. Its supposed to be over 40 degrees this weekend, so it should be warm enough to be in the garage without freezing to death. I'm definately heating the garage next year and thinking of having a lift installed as well. I hope these DIY projects go more smoothly than the brakes did .
Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
jtgli

Coming along good man, I like the idea of you getting a lift. Maybe then you could help this black Z build its motor....I dunno who that would be though. Cant wait till this thing is done!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jtgli
Coming along good man, I like the idea of you getting a lift. Maybe then you could help this black Z build its motor....I dunno who that would be though. Cant wait till this thing is done!
- I wonder who that could be?? I'm starting to look forward to it being done as well. Lots of prep work to keep me busy though.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM
jtgli

So what are you doing this weekend to it now? I guess I missed it somewhere
Old 02-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jtgli
So what are you doing this weekend to it now? I guess I missed it somewhere
I want to relocate my stereo components (I-pod connection, flash drive reader, Sirius connection box and blue tooth) to the rear cubby compartment to make room for the meth guage and the EDFC unit. I also want to run the interior wires for the EDFC and subwoofer unit I just purchased. Oh, and I need to run several wires for the controls on my light mods since I want them all to work independently of one another.

If I can get half of these things done this weekend I will be very pleased.

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress