Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent the weekend working on getting the headlights re-installed. The process was longer than anticipated because it required several trips to the parts store and a little more work than expected. I probably spent 9-10 hours on it and have a new appreciation for guys that do audio work on cars.

I wanted all my headlight mods to work independently from one another, so the wiring was a little more tedious. I started by making a main harness for all the on/off rockers. Each mod has its own inline fuse, just in case. I want to thank Nic from CiNcity for answering his cell phone at 9am on a Saturday morning to give me install advice and the amp rating for the fuses. Thanks to Frank Hill as well, he ALWAYS answers for me!!

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04339.jpg

After talking with Frank, he said I should not use the grommet by the passengers side windsheild, but rather tap an unused grommet behind the drivers side front wheel. I convinced myself to do it right and not be lazy, so I jacked up the car and removed both the wheel and rear fender liner. Here is a piceof the tapped grommet, mine is the lower one:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04340.jpg

Then I ran wires underneath the cowl cover and made some quick connect points for the drivers side lights to hook up to, taping this thing took forever .

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04341.jpg

I ran power direct to the battery (thanks Nic) and finished off the harness with some quick disconnects at the passenger side light.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04342.jpg

I woke up with a really bad cold this morning, but pushed through to the finish and got all the pieces back on the car. The only thing left to do is make a template for the switches and then dremmel the holes in the dash. I'm thinking of mounting them next to the steering column on the drivers side, but I need to see how bright they are first, I don't want to be distracted or have it look wierd (read ricer).

The operation was a complete success and everything works perfectly . FYI, the glow mod Nic did for me (the first one on an 03-05 set of lights) is unbelievable, the whole light glows a deep blue, just like my interior, and looks means as hell. I took some pics, but they look crappy and I feel horrible, so I may try again tomorrow, NyQuill here I come!!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
jtgli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for pics!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
XKR

Ready and waiting for the ORDER ... Minus500 is looking for company on the banned list.

Cass...that motor looks good.

Last edited by XKR; 02-09-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by XKR
Ready and waiting for the ORDER ... Minus500 is looking for company on the banned list.

Cass...that motor looks good.
Thanks Mike, too bad its not nearly as fast as yours

My seller is making progress with UPS today in theory, but has said he will make me whole be Wednesday if the process drags on. I just don't need any delays right now, the weather is getting warmer and after driving the SUV all winter I am craving speed. Going to see about pics of the lights right now.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Headlight Mod Pics

I did the best I could getting pics, but my camera has a crazy long exposure time for night pics and they kept coming out blurry, so I used a low flash and did the best I could. I forgot to mention yesterday that the parts/wiring to install the lights was just over $100.

In for pics!
- Here You Go Jon - you should come see these in person, so much brighter than the pics.

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04368.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04367.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04365.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04366.jpg

When all three mods are lit at once its almost bright enough to drive by .
Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default Moar Pics

These are with the R8 mod turned off and just the glow mod or the glow and demon eye mods lit:

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04360.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04361.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04362.jpg My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress-dsc04363.jpg

The blue is VERY bright and noticeable, it gets washed out a bunch by the reflection of the flash.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:35 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Originally Posted by Cass007
I did the best I could getting pics, but my camera has a crazy long exposure time for night pics and they kept coming out blurry, so I used a low flash and did the best I could. I forgot to mention yesterday that the parts/wiring to install the lights was just over $100.

- Here You Go Jon - you should come see these in person, so much brighter than the pics.

Attachment 227386 Attachment 227387 Attachment 227388 Attachment 227389

When all three mods are lit at once its almost bright enough to drive by .
NICE!!!

Can't wait to see how bright the R8 mod is on my lights once they're installed!
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin good cass
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Default A Day full of Fail !!!

My thread was for the good and the bad, so today is about the bad.

So I have gotten some distressing news recently. It appears that my
APS TT Tuner kit may not be able to make the 600+whp I was hoping for and some members think it may max out as much as 100whp short of my goal . Needless to say this would be extremely disappointing.
I am currently thinking of either upgrading just the turbos to the GT2860RS or selling my kit as a BNIB with Jet-Hot coated manifolds and downpipes, either way it goes I will have to spend another $3K or so. The problem is that there is not a lot of info out there on just what the max power is on the newer APS journal turbos.
I am waiting to speak with Frank again after he gathers some intell and also talk to Dave as well. In the meantime, if there are any members out there looking for a nice 450-500whp setup BNIB at a nice discount, shoot me a PM and maybe you can make my decision easier.

The fail continues on another note as well. I recently purchased a sub enclosure from a member in the classifieds and when it showed up it was very damaged!! The subs were shipped inside the enclosure and have chipped off large chucks of the fiberglass. I have been in contact with the seller, but I feel as if I am doing the bulk of the legwork here and have asked the seller repeatedly for him contact info so we can resolve this quickly. No contact info yet and no garauntee by the seller that I will be made whole if UPS denies the claim for insurance (that I had to call and setup, and then call UPS to set up an on-site inspection so I wouldn't be out the money and the parts).

I am upset with this because I gave the seller specific packaging instructions that the subs should ship in a separate box with the amp and the enclosure should ship in its own box so it does not get damaged. I am trying to be reasonable, but I'm not sure when it is appropriate to file a paypal claim (against his girl - it was her account) or what happens if UPS denies the claim. The seller is saying that he took everything to the UPS store and they packaged it all, the store is saying he put the subs in the box - classic. Also, seller originally stated he bought $1000 in insurance to cover our sale of $902.50 - now he states that the insurance coverage is only $500.

I am so sick of getting stuck on these classified sales. If it weren't for the great transactions I have had along the way (they are all in my thread) I don't think I would buy anything from another member that I couldn't pick up myself.

Right now I am patiently waiting for the UPS inspector to call me to set up an appointment, but is it reasonable for the seller to just refund me the money for the sub enclosure since UPS will be paying him and not me anyhow??? It may be posse time very shortly!!

END RANT!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

My thread was for the good and the bad, so today is about the bad.

So I have gotten some distressing news recently. It appears that my
APS TT Tuner kit may not be able to make the 600+whp I was hoping for and some members think it may max out as much as 100whp short of my goal . Needless to say this would be extremely disappointing.
I am currently thinking of either upgrading just the turbos to the GT2860RS or selling my kit as a BNIB with Jet-Hot coated manifolds and downpipes, either way it goes I will have to spend another $3K or so. The problem is that there is not a lot of info out there on just what the max power is on the newer APS journal turbos.
I am waiting to speak with Frank again after he gathers some intell and also talk to Dave as well. In the meantime, if there are any members out there looking for a nice 450-500whp setup BNIB at a nice discount, shoot me a PM and maybe you can make my decision easier.

The fail continues on another note as well. I recently purchased a sub enclosure from a member in the classifieds and when it showed up it was very damaged!! The subs were shipped inside the enclosure and have chipped off large chucks of the fiberglass. I have been in contact with the seller, but I feel as if I am doing the bulk of the legwork here and have asked the seller repeatedly for him contact info so we can resolve this quickly. No contact info yet and no garauntee by the seller that I will be made whole if UPS denies the claim for insurance (that I had to call and setup, and then call UPS to set up an on-site inspection so I wouldn't be out the money and the parts).

I am upset with this because I gave the seller specific packaging instructions that the subs should ship in a separate box with the amp and the enclosure should ship in its own box so it does not get damaged. I am trying to be reasonable, but I'm not sure when it is appropriate to file a paypal claim (against his girl - it was her account) or what happens if UPS denies the claim. The seller is saying that he took everything to the UPS store and they packaged it all, the store is saying he put the subs in the box - classic. Also, seller originally stated he bought $1000 in insurance to cover our sale of $902.50 - now he states that the insurance coverage is only $500.

I am so sick of getting stuck on these classified sales. If it weren't for the great transactions I have had along the way (they are all in my thread) I don't think I would buy anything from another member that I couldn't pick up myself.

Right now I am patiently waiting for the UPS inspector to call me to set up an appointment, but is it reasonable for the seller to just refund me the money for the sub enclosure since UPS will be paying him and not me anyhow??? It may be posse time very shortly!!

END RANT!!
  1. I would just swap the turbos. The rest of the kit is fine for supporting your power goals.
  2. What's this guy's username? And link to his sale thread?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
  1. I would just swap the turbos. The rest of the kit is fine for supporting your power goals.
  2. What's this guy's username? And link to his sale thread?
Sending you a PM and then off to pic up my son at school.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Do you want 600 on pump or max'd out on race fuel? The 2860RS may not get you there on pump without a nice set of cams, huge intercooler and/or some kind of spray (W/M). RudeG, it was my understanding that APS had some kind of custom bolt configuration so upgrading the turbos to non-APS is difficult. Selling the whole kit and going with a GTM kit is what I would do (well not me personally, but if I was in your shoes and wanted 600 whp on pump gas).
Old 02-11-2009, 10:17 AM
matt240sx

GT2860RS is good for about 300-320 WHP from what I have experienced with 240sx's. Thats with all the supporting mods cams, intake, manifold, etc...You can always jump up to a GT2871R which depending on the exhaust AR I've seen go over 400 WHP on built (cams, intake, good tune, etc...)240's.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rcdash
Do you want 600 on pump or max'd out on race fuel? The 2860RS may not get you there on pump without a nice set of cams, huge intercooler and/or some kind of spray (W/M). RudeG, it was my understanding that APS had some kind of custom bolt configuration so upgrading the turbos to non-APS is difficult. Selling the whole kit and going with a GTM kit is what I would do (well not me personally, but if I was in your shoes and wanted 600 whp on pump gas).
I was shooting for the 600whp on meth and with cams. George@GTM tells me that the GT2860RS is a direct replacement for the turbos I have. I guess I just didn't aim high enough when purchasing parts.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shoulda done the proven kit! 605whp no meth pump gas, 13psi

654whp @ 16psi no meth all pump....GREDDY!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Alberto
Shoulda done the proven kit! 605whp no meth pump gas, 13psi

654whp @ 16psi no meth all pump....GREDDY!
You also have very good cams for top end power and a freak motor. As I recall you made 490 on Sharif's DD dyno at 13 psi with the same kit, so that's a big range (albeit slightly different motor, different cams, and Sharif's heartbreaker dyno). Still great power with the Greddy, no question there.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
rcdash

I was shooting for the 600whp on meth and with cams. George@GTM tells me that the GT2860RS is a direct replacement for the turbos I have. I guess I just didn't aim high enough when purchasing parts.
On a DJ, I bet you'll come close. Esp. if you have the BC stage 3 cams. (I mean with the GT2860RS, not enough data on the new APS turbos, obviously...)
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cass what intake mani you gonna run? How high you gonna rev it?

tom
Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by rcdash
You also have very good cams for top end power and a freak motor. As I recall you made 490 on Sharif's DD dyno at 13 psi with the same kit, so that's a big range (albeit slightly different motor, different cams, and Sharif's heartbreaker dyno). Still great power with the Greddy, no question there.
No such thing as a freak motor, my old setup made power on par with other cars back in that day.

No use in comparing an old setup on a DD to a new one on a DJ, especially with different tuners.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

BTW Cass-I hope that JayZ's issues are related to his car-meaning Im sure yours will make the power goal you have in mind!

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress