Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:17 PM
thefireboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
So, if this was your car Nick, you would just chalk it up to "you gotta pay to play" after experiencing two failures (seemingly similar) with zero boosted miles driven and thousands spent. Somehow I don't see you being so laid back and understanding. Maybe ACL race bearings aren't all they are cracked up to be.

Frank busted his a$$ to get my car ready for zdayz - 100% true. He generously offered free labor on the re-build and I accepted that offer. He has always treated me as priority one in his shop and I truly appreciate that. Dave took much longer to tune my car than I wanted, no doubt about that.

Remember, when the rag was found I wasn't talking trash on Frank one bit, I understand that mistakes happen, but at some point I need to look out for myself just like everyone else is doing.
yeah man i dont doubt that i would be furious just like you and be like what the f##k, but i would also want to know the root cause and have the motor torn down.. by another shop and if the mechanics and or tuners involved want to be there then so be it.. i would make sure that was ok with the shop tearing it down.. people on here demanding a time limit 45 days.. i guess that depends on how fast you want to find the cause..im sure if dave did not have the motor lying around he would not be offering to put out 20 plus grand plus labor to se you running in 45days.. im sorry i just dont see any shop doing that with out knowing what caused the fail.. i would not even expect that.. i really like you chris and think you are a trully stand up guy, this build has just been cursed from day one..
dave is a very busy man and so is frank..and both are one man shops and growing fast.. that says something..for them both..

Last edited by thefireboy; 06-26-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thefireboy
yeah man i dont doubt that i would be furious just like you and be like what the f##k, but i would also want to know the root cause and have the motor torn down.. by another shop and if the mechanics and or tuners involved want to be there then so be it.. i would make sure that was ok with the shop tearing it down.. people on here demanding a time limit 45 days.. i guess that depends on how fast you want to find the cause..im sure if dave did not have the motor lying around he would not be offering to put out 20 plus grand plus labor to se you running in 45days.. im sorry i just dont see any shop doing that with out knowing what caused the fail.. i would not even expect that.. i really like you chris and thing you are a trully stand up guy, this build has just been cursed from day one..
dave is a very busy man and so is frank..and both are one man shops and growing fast.. that says something..for them both..
WAT Since when does a built VQ longblock with stock sleeves cost 20 grand + labor?

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 06-26-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
WAT Since when does a built VQ stock sleeved longblock cost 20 grand + labor?
ok then even 10 or 15 grand plus labor is that better
Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Furious...NO Disappointed/Crushed.....Yes

Honestly I think I'm being rather calm about everything. It was not me that mentioned a timeframe, I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that my summer is probably shot.

This whole process is really taking a toll on my mental health. My head hurts
Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 PM
BlinkerFluid

I'll let you beat on the G a bit when I get home.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

+1... its nice that frank worked hard to get your ready for something, but a bad engine assembly has no excuse anyways...and hes had 2 tries at it...

he can still come clean out of this...i am just waiting to hear that "awsome" personality of him and his "i stand behind my work".....like he did before... but this waiting for teardown blah blah bs i am no liking it...

AT THIS POINT CASS IS THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO LOOK OUT AFTER HIMSELF!!!
both shops need to suck it up and step up to the plate(1 is missing )...
Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
thefireboy

Furious...NO Disappointed/Crushed.....Yes

Honestly I think I'm being rather calm about everything. It was not me that mentioned a timeframe, I've pretty much come to grips with the fact that my summer is probably shot.

This whole process is really taking a toll on my mental health. My head hurts
its all rapped into one disappointed/ crushed/heart broken/ shattered dreams/ lost time and money/ then you start second guessing yourself.. been there done that my head is still hurting and turning..
Old 06-26-2009, 08:03 PM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
+1... its nice that frank worked hard to get your ready for something, but a bad engine assembly has no excuse anyways...and hes had 2 tries at it...

he can still come clean out of this...i am just waiting to hear that "awsome" personality of him and his "i stand behind my work".....like he did before... but this waiting for teardown blah blah bs i am no liking it...

AT THIS POINT CASS IS THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO LOOK OUT AFTER HIMSELF!!!
both shops need to suck it up and step up to the plate(1 is missing )...
your so full of ****.. you are saying that this engine is his fault already and you dont even know..are you some gene in a bottle or something..
like i said before if it is franks fault he will stand behind it and fix it, if it is not his fault i am sure he will still take care of chris like last time if so asked...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:04 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without the crazy heads but cammed, thats an 8500$ long block motor from anyone, forged, gtm,ipp etc. Add a couple more G's for some serious headgames action and you'd be right there with 10g. I can imagine between those 3 shops they sell prolly a 6-12 or so of those a month.

Cass's build is standard (no sleeves, just internals and some bolt on heads) which is why its amazing that he's had 2 total failures.

ok then even 10 or 15 grand plus labor is that better
Old 06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Wrong. It's not about creating drama. Pull out your cameltoe and cool off. The emotional nuthugging isn't needed here. Nobody has questioned the integrity Frank (or Dave).

We want to see Chris get taken care of and get the car he wanted ASAP. He has invested a lot of money and time in this build project with the results being two failed motors. In discussing this, it is hard to ignore the issues of the powdercoat being blamed for the first failure and the rag being found with the second motor. You mean to tell me that Frank doesn't suspect that pieces or debris from that rag may have led to this second engine failure?

exactly..where the hell is this fireboy getting off saying that i or whoever wants to see drama like some aam thread..get ****ing real dude...cass is a good dude and i wanna see his car taken care of and him taken care of...u on the other hand have gone around starting threads making drama so i would indeed pull that camel toe out and get the **** ..u obviously dont know what the hell ur talking about here...lol wanna see drama..lol wow coming from u fireboy
Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 PM
tylerxfire

another thread fireboy is trying to ruin....should be perma-banned imo..every thread and post of his is useless and comes into other peoples just to be a nutt-huggin homo...people like u really need a reality check..let this thread live *******
Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 PM
BlinkerFluid

I still stand behind the post I made long ago that can be found here.

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid

I'm going to have to agree with what else was mentioned. Something is amiss.

*Edit*

I went back and looked at the cover pictures again. The first picture posted, what is the piece of material in the picture down by the timestamp, right under the year? It appears that it is a piece of the sealing ring, and what is on the covers, though damaged, does resemble what I recall them looking like. The rings are rectangular and cut on a diagonal at the ends, so they overlap and seal when installed. It is also possible that the tightness experienced during installation was not the powdercoating in the dowel holes but the sealing ring actually folding over and getting smashed between the cam gear and the protrusion on the cover. This would explain the wear markings on the cover, on the inside of the gear, and the pinched off end of what's left of the sealing ring. By looking at the coating of the RTV and how it appears to be even the whole way around the cover, I believe the cover was in the proper location and all the damage was caused by the sealing ring itself.

I bet if you place that unidentified chunk of plastic next to the pinched off end of the sealing ring in the 3rd picture, you have a match, and your explination of what happened. After you mentioning a mallet was used for installation, I'd bet money on it.
I don't believe for a second that the powdercoating had anything to do with the first failure. I'm curious as to see what the second one was caused by.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
thefireboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerxfire
damn i wish that frank was on here to see what he would have to say on this

Originally Posted by Chef-J
So you can watch drama? We need to see that he helping cass in action, not just talking.
so i guess i am not the only one who had that thought about your comment.. uh.. im sure man other did as well.

i have not started threads for to cause drama.. sorry and i know what thread your talking about so get over it.. that was actually the 2nd or third thread on that topic( people/shop that thought it was direct towards them for some reason started the drama not I).. now back on topic..
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
thom000001

I wouldn't look at the parts at this point. I would look at the commonalities....
Your build had the same baasic parts as all other builds for those making similar and much more power. There was nothing fancy other than the presentation (i.e. powdercoating, paint, finishings). (and ACL's are all they are cracked up to be...bearings don't just fail, they fail as the result of a larger failure!!!!!)

tom

Maybe ACL race bearings aren't all they are cracked up to be.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
IIQuickSilverII

your so full of ****.. you are saying that this engine is his fault already and you dont even know..are you some gene in a bottle or something..
like i said before if it is franks fault he will stand behind it and fix it, if it is not his fault i am sure he will still take care of chris like last time if so asked...
are you moronic?

do you not see him doing anything stupid in the assembly processs...are excusing a the rag? lol... you are the one assuming that it has nothing to do, but its a clear case of a fock up
My whole point is...why doesnt he jsut take care of chris NOW(with the rag is more his fault than the 1st time anyways) and works it out with dave too...after the tear down frank can back his word and do thigns right with dave..not make the wait happen at the expense of cass....
Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM
tylerxfire

Quote:
damn i wish that frank was on here to see what he would have to say on this

so i guess i am not the only one who had that thought about your comment.. uh.. im sure man other did as well.

i have not started threads for to cause drama.. sorry and i know what thread your talking about so get over it.. that was actually the 2nd or third thread on that topic( people/shop that thought it was direct towards them for some reason started the drama not I).. now back on topic..

well thats absolutely not what i meant by the comment at all !!! the comment was made to be exactly what it is..id like to see what frank has to say for himself just like dave came on and said what he had to say...i mean he must have something to say dont u think??im pretty tired of u speaking for him... whatever is on his mind about this whole thing is what id like to hear...in no way does that mean any drama would be started nor would i care to hear any drama..
Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by thom000001
I wouldn't look at the parts at this point. I would look at the commonalities....

+1 thats a typcial excuse by shops... blame it on injectors... blame it on the rods...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM
thefireboy

well thats absolutely not what i meant by the comment at all !!! the comment was made to be exactly what it is..id like to see what frank has to say for himself just like dave came on and said what he had to say...i mean he must have something to say dont u think??im pretty tired of u speaking for him... whatever is on his mind about this whole thing is what id like to hear...in no way does that mean any drama would be started nor would i care to hear any drama..
apologies
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
are you moronic?

do you not see him doing anything stupid in the assembly processs...are excusing a the rag? lol... you are the one assuming that it has nothing to do, but its a clear case of a fock up
My whole point is...why doesnt he jsut take care of chris NOW(with the rag is more his fault than the 1st time anyways) and works it out with dave too...after the tear down frank can back his word and do thigns right with dave..not make the wait happen at the expense of cass....
nobody has denied the mistake of the rag period that was established a long time ago...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 PM
tylerxfire

apologies

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress