Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:18 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
Remember now...that the shop you speak of just took a beating on here.... and the mods kept it open....
Link?

How unedited is it?
Old 06-25-2009, 06:29 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Link?

How unedited is it?
Sorry for OT Chris......

Check your PM Jeff.....
Old 06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
thefireboy

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Hold on, let me get this straight. A thread is open in the Mid A with info on a Mid A shop having a motor blow up under the shops watch, and somehow, this thread stays open in order for everyone to see the out come in how Dave or the other tuner is going to fix the problem?

Must be leap year or all the mods are on vacation. Mid A tends to have any threads about shop issues deleted after about 12 hours.

You see, if the thread goes away, the problem never happened in the first place!

Dave's a good guy, I have zero doubt in my mind that one way or another he will make sure you're taken care of.

Cass, it sucks to get soooo close to something you want sooooo bad only to lose it. this will just make the final product that much sweeter!
yeah this thread is still open because its not AAM and the shops that are involved will actually take care of the issues...and one of the shops is not a sponsor on here..
it is really nice of dave to offer that to you until the problem is completely solved and figured out....
Old 06-25-2009, 06:47 PM
ToastZ

Originally Posted by XKR
45 days is not too much to ask for.....and "Inspections" is what happens after Cass gets his car back....I agree...
+1,.... get the customer back on the road first. Post mortem the motor and settle up between the shop owners after Cass gets on the road.

Its most important to just work the solution to a problem and not let the problem work you,... 45 days seems like an excellent target. Simply, the problem is not "why did this latest motor spin a bearing",.... the problem is "Cass is not driving his car".

Maybe Raj will make us one of those count down banner things like he posted for ZdayZ.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know Dave "well" ansd have met Frank and think good things about both men and shops.

I hate to drop opinions like this, some might feel its nuthugging to a certain extent, or defending the other person/shop, but I feel like this situation shouldnt be covered or warantied by Dave at all. He was not the engine builder in this case, he simply tuned the car. He has been tuning the platform enough to not blow a freaking healthy motor so quick. Knowing Dave though he will still do what he can to help Chris and this horrible situation.

Im not implying Frank Hill doesnt know what he is doing (he has done tons of AAM 500+whp assemblies) but obviously something is chronically wrong 2X in a row that needs to be addressed by him...
Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But Dave's built block is not painted in Optimus Prime color....

What a blow...
Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 AM
nyqueenz

any updates?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:59 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
any updates?
Originally Posted by Cass007
My apologies to Dave for the delay in posting what he spoke to me about earlier. Its my wedding aniversary today and I needed to show my wife that she is still more important than the toys.

Dave has offered me his own built block he was putting in his track car. This is a very generous offer.

I am very conflicted as to what to do and how to proceed from here. I want to make it clear that I am not trying to get something for nothing or hurt the reputations of any of the shops I have been working with. To the people that feel I am being unreasonable, ask yourself how you would feel after spending $20K on motors, being without your car for 7 months and having two built motors fail before you ever drive the car under boost once?

I am just trying to enjoy my Z like so many others on this forum.
^Update
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM
nyqueenz

i meant update on the problem... what caused it?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

What a mess - the guy least responsible is offering the best solution. Kudos to Dave but as Alberto stated, the odds are stacked against Frank on this one. As long as Dave's block has what you need in it, you can transfer over the cosmetic pieces and be up and running in a couple weeks. Dave will be assuming the risk because if Frank doesn't come through once diagnosis is complete, Dave will be screwed. BUT he's stepping up to the plate and going above and beyond for you Cass. Take him up on it. He will reap the reward of this generosity as well, in time. It's a big step up from "I'll take responsibility IF it ends up being PROVEN that it was my fault".

By the way, I did a little research on the ViPEC and I couldn't find one incident of a block failure because of one. It has proved itself over the last year on a number of platforms, including some very, very high horsepower builds. That rules out most of the doubt in my mind that Dave's end of it could have played a part in the failure.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 AM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn i wish that frank was on here to see what he would have to say on this
Old 06-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Cass, I would take a dave's offer and make your car run first. I would also ask frank to help you part out that motor to sell parts that still can use.
I understand its tough and stress at this moment, but got to finish this story right? take a break from 350z and let dave do everything for you.

I went back to re read your thread again, lot of thing I learn again about cars and its just internet but I realized again how nice person you are.

Cass, good luck and I'm sure you know what you gotta do. Which way you go I'm sure my350z members will support you.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 AM
thefireboy

well i will say this frank has only been in bussiness for less than a year now and has not really had the time to do any projects of his own like dave has with his track car.. but i am sure that if frank just a motor that he was build for a track car lying around i am sure frank would offer it to him as well.. dave has been around alittle longer and has been able to do this...
frank also assembled the last motor and isntall pretty much for free if not free..
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
damn i wish that frank was on here to see what he would have to say on this
So you can watch drama? We need to see that he helping cass in action, not just talking.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Driven1
Professional

This situation is soooo sad for everyone involved as I have met all involved and ALL are great genuine people. I feel horrible for everyone involved. I personally witnessed how much personal care and effort everyone has put in to this and when I got the call from Dave as he sat on the side of the road I can't even explain the disappointment and hurt you could hear in his voice. It was like someone just kidnapped Tuna or something. The fact that Dave has offered his personal motor even though he is the least liable at this point should show how much dedication he has to his customers. Some may have questioned this given the "response time" to the boost issue but you have to understand he has appointments with other customers and prior obligations to them and can't drop them b/c something has sprung up that really has nothing to do with him.

I can guarantee this has nothing to do with the ViPec or the tune. I actually want a ViPec now even though I have a rough equivalent in the Autronic SM-4. I have vids of the car on the dyno from Monday night with quite possibly the smoothest graphs I've ever seen. If people really question the tune (which I haven't seen yet) I can get them off the camera....I just don't want to publicize them b/c I feel like it'll just be a kick in the nuts to Cass and does nothing but rub salt on the wounds of a sour situation.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastZ
The only thing left to do is for the engine tuner and the engine builder to work together to put Cass back on the road within 45 days with no money out of pocket for Cass.

The fact that we are talking about "inspections" to "figure out what happened" is already a complete failure to customer service,... Cass = Customer.
Originally Posted by XKR
45 days is not too much to ask for.....and "Inspections" is what happens after Cass gets his car back....I agree...

glad you both agree with me on that....

Originally Posted by bb1314
But Dave's built block is not painted in Optimus Prime color....

What a blow...
yeah that sucks but he can probably still do somethign with valve covers... some of the coated parts are probably ok to trasnfer too.

Originally Posted by rcdash
What a mess - the guy least responsible is offering the best solution. Kudos to Dave but as Alberto stated, the odds are stacked against Frank on this one. Dave will be assuming the risk because if Frank doesn't come through once diagnosis is complete, Dave will be screwed. BUT he's stepping up to the plate and going above and beyond for you Cass. Take him up on it.
i agree.. i think the thread has been of public knowledge enough...and franks rep has been paraded here as outstanding that, that dave knows he has some confidence in taking that risk...i would assume...Absolutly Kudos for doing that...
At this point both shops have an oportunity to show the comunity and the poeple that support them how they stand behind their work and can overcome fail.

By the way, I did a little research on the ViPEC and I couldn't find one incident of a block failure because of one. It has proved itself over the last year on a number of platforms, including some very, very high horsepower builds. That rules out most of the doubt in my mind that Dave's end of it could have played a part in the failure.
i don't think that really needs to be mentioned much since i don't think thats really an issue...my point in earlier posts yesterday was in particular to get Cass on the road...and i knew i was somewhat a bit more unfair to Dave but i felt that both shops had to just say "fack it" and cover whats needed for the customer after 2 tries and fail....and later they can deal with each other.... I am glad many of you feel the same way. I might be well back in AZ, but i think of Cass *** a friend and Fi brutha so i really hit me when i heard of this latest fail and him loosing so much faith and thinking of even quitting...glad thats not even being considered anymore (RIGHT!!!?)

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-26-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
06Track

Cass...I have a new spare Forged short block already built and on his
shelf (just in case of blow...18000 on built engine currently). If you are
in need, let me know. Price is same as I paid for it. Just an option to try
and GET YOU on the road as fast as possible.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII

i agree.. i think the thread has been of public knowledge enough...and franks rep has been paraded here as outstanding that, that dave knows he has some confidence in taking that risk...i would assume...Absolutly Kudos for doing that...
At this point both shops have an oportunity to show the comunity and the poeple that support them how they stand behind their work and can overcome fail.
I agree....This is how I like to see the community treated......Looks like Chris will be on the road soon.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Alberto
I know Dave "well" ansd have met Frank and think good things about both men and shops.

I hate to drop opinions like this, some might feel its nuthugging to a certain extent, or defending the other person/shop, but I feel like this situation shouldnt be covered or warantied by Dave at all. He was not the engine builder in this case, he simply tuned the car. He has been tuning the platform enough to not blow a freaking healthy motor so quick. Knowing Dave though he will still do what he can to help Chris and this horrible situation.

Im not implying Frank Hill doesnt know what he is doing (he has done tons of AAM 500+whp assemblies) but obviously something is chronically wrong 2X in a row that needs to be addressed by him...
+1

I don't want to say anything in here either so it does not look like nuthugging. I was on that boat last year and refuse to hug and defend now without any sponsorships.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
BlinkerFluid

I just hope in the end this doesn't make Cass lose intrest in his hobby.

Hell, if this is still going on when I get home, we'll put an engine in it in my garage Cass.

Quick Reply: My Build: The Good, The Bad & The Progress