Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My winter project...turbo fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRIDDA
Thanks for the update. Can we get some video's as well? I have followed this from day one. Great job and very creative.

-Chris
Tuning will start tonight . First we will do a few hours of street tuning at partial throdle and once that is done we go to the dyno for some WOT runs.

The car is running and can be driven but does need a tune. For some reason the Haltech is not correcting on the target A/F of 14.7:1 (Haltech dual 02controll). All the settins are set properly, so I will let the expert have a look at it tonight.

I will have some video's soon.

EDIT: As usual Hal@Injected Performance came through with superb customer support. A/F is now where it should be, so everything is working like it should. Needed to make a couple of small adjustments.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 04-13-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet tuning already I hope you meet your goals(i am sure you will) and everything goes good with the tuning.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Tuning will start tonight . First we will do a few hours of street tuning at partial throdle and once that is done we go to the dyno for some WOT runs.

The car is running and can be driven but does need a tune. For some reason the Haltech is not correcting on the target A/F of 14.7:1 (Haltech dual 02controll). All the settins are set properly, so I will let the expert have a look at it tonight.

I will have some video's soon.

EDIT: As usual Hal@Injected Performance came through with superb customer support. A/F is now where it should be, so everything is working like it should. Needed to make a couple of small adjustments.
great news. Hal is the man
Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Cant wait to see results!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:37 PM
BoostedProbe

Well, today didn't go as planned. The weather didn't really work with us, so no tuning was done. It's raining right now and the temperature is just above freezing. Not good for tuning when good traction is required.

The plan is to start on thursday when this crap clears up. Kind of sucks, but at the same time one has to take the safety factor in to consideration.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
JuJube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid weather!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Good call on waiting... safety is most important. Consider renting some dyno time - there is nothing like a controlled tuning environment. Dyno printouts are just a bonus.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Snow and rain today supposed to be more of both tomorrow I hope things are good thursday for you guys.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 AM
tiguy99

Epic thread BP! Did you used to post on hidplanet? I remember seeing a guy there with a red probe with a nice HID setup a few years back with a similar name

Awesome job with everything BTW. Can't wait to see how it all works out for you!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Epic thread BP! Did you used to post on hidplanet? I remember seeing a guy there with a red probe with a nice HID setup a few years back with a similar name

Awesome job with everything BTW. Can't wait to see how it all works out for you!
Thanks, and no I didn't post on hidplanet.

Well, we got a few inches of snow overnight... Hopefully it clears up a bit by thursday, so stay tuned I guess.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM
tiguy99

Brother...I know how you feel! Chicago has not been kind to us either this past winter.

I would go crazy if I built my own ST setup and had to sit and look at all that snow another minute
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Take it to a dyno FTW!! Tapp Auto?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM
BoostedProbe

Well, the day has come. This evening Travis (JuJube) and I were out making sure everything is ok and dialing in the fuel. Thanks again Travis.

HUGE THANKS TO Hal. The base map was incredibly close and only neede minor adjustments. It took less than two hours to dial it all in with a number of WOT pulls. I would also recomend Haltech to anyone even considering it, the car drives just like stock, starts like stock, and is much faster.

I had a small problem with the check valve on the turbo outfeed. I noticed smoke after a few minutes of easy driving, so we turned back to the garage. After Travis and I looked around we came to the conclusion the it could only be the check valve. It did not allow the scavenge pump to return oil to the upper oil pan.

Other than that, the car runs perfect, I am extremly happy with the final results and have no regrets doing this myself. Boost comes in at about 3700rpm and I have full boost by 4000rpm. When I have time, I will have some dyno numbers for you guys.

Oh, there is one small thing. The current setup has the w/g dumping to atmosphere, that makes it very lour/raspy. Tommorow I will divert that to post turbo.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:14 PM
tiguy99

Now you know we're all like lol

Congrats on the build, hard work and results. I know you must feel like a million bucks

In for the clips!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

5 years later and we cant even get the typed #......

Nevermind.... I forgot you street tuned it.... Good job ..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 04-19-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Take it to a dyno FTW!! Tapp Auto?
The OP lives on the other side of the country from TAPP. Think like Montana and TAPP is closer to New York.

Cant wit to see it Sasha!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
The OP lives on the other side of the country from TAPP. Think like Montana and TAPP is closer to New York.

Cant wit to see it Sasha!
Wow, Ok..... I cant wait to see dyno results...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Need some final pic bro!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM
BoostedProbe

I spent some time today playing with some minor stuff and repairing a problem.

This morning when I went in the garage I noticed a few drops of oil right below the BOV. Sooo I thought to myself, it was too good to be true, that I wouldn't have any issues. I take the intake piping appart and notice that it was coated with a bit of oil. Take the intercooler off, and it too had a very small amount of oil in it. I ended up taking the IC piping off and cleaning it all.

The problem...last night we noticed that the car was smoking after a very short drive. That check valve was the culprit, and I think that is when we filled the system up with oil. After cleaning everything I assembled it, changed the oil to 5w40, refabed the w/g so it doesn't dump to atmosphere and took it out for a spin while there is still daylight.

The car runs sooo good now, and the exhaust note is just perfect IMO. When I got back I did notice some "ticking" from the engine bay, and it sounds like it's the injectors. I took my good old stephiscope out and poked around. The valve area is nice and quiet, there is a bit of noise on the intake plenum and a ton of noise comming from the APS injectors.

So I think it's safe to say that it's the injectors.

Anybody have this injector noise problem before? They are the 400cc injectors.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

My DW 600 injectors are fine. I don't know what noise you are talking about.

Quick Reply: My winter project...turbo fabrication