Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My winter project...turbo fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in for the final product! get that thing rollling, i wnna see a dyno graph and some numbers!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Nate76s

Man I wish you had a G35 ... I love the concept of this kit and it looks really well designed and built. Great job. I would buy one if I had a Z.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the kind comments guys. It will be a few months before dyno time, do to long winters here. Hopefully April. I am now stuck wating for more parts to come in, I don't want to start with the injectors and fuel stuff untill all the piping is complete.

I still need to get an LSD, don't know if I should get the 1.5 or 2.0. I will have to do some research to see what will be better for my application. I guss I would ultimetly like to buy the entire differential, I keep looking at what's in the for sale sections every day.

I took the oil pressure sensor out today and tried to T off for turbo oil supply. That didn't go so well, it seems like the pressure sensor is not a 1/8 NPT (national pipe thread). I took the callipers out and measured the stock sensor thread, it was 9.7mm. The 1/8 NPT is 10.0mm, not sure what that is all about.

Input regarding this is welcome.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 01-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
FredB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Thank you for the kind comments guys. It will be a few months before dyno time, do to long winters here. Hopefully April. I am now stuck wating for more parts to come in, I don't want to start with the injectors and fuel stuff untill all the piping is complete.

I still need to get an LSD, don't know if I should get the 1.5 or 2.0. I will have to do some research to see what will be better for my application. I guss I would ultimetly like to buy the entire differential, I keep looking at what's in the for sale sections every day.

I took the oil pressure sensor out today and tried to T off for turbo oil supply. That didn't go so well, it seems like the pressure sensor is not a 1/4 NPT (national pipe thread). I took the callipers out and measured the stock sensor thread, it was 9.7mm. The 1/4 NPT is 10.0mm, not sure what that is all about.

Input regarding this is welcome.
The problem you are running into w/ the oil pressure sensor is because it is not NPT its BSPT. As far as the kit goes, good job i would have done things a bit differently but it should work for your needs just fine

p.s. it's not 1/4 npt its 1/8 bspt

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by FredB
The problem you are running into w/ the oil pressure sensor is because it is not NPT its BSPT. As far as the kit goes, good job i would have done things a bit differently but it should work for your needs just fine

p.s. it's not 1/4 npt its 1/8 bspt

Yes I went back and changed the 1/4" to 1/8", and I see that you beat me to it. The only difference between the BSPT and NTP is that the Brittish (and European in general) threads are "square" and the NPT is "tapered". They are however compatible.

Fell free to comment on "doing things a bit differently".

EDIT:

Straight out of the Turbonetics install manual:

A. Remove the electrical connector and the oil pressure sensor from the engine block (circled in FIGURE 63)

B. Install the 1/8” NPT “Tee” fitting (P/N 30562) into the block in the vacated hole (pointed out in FIGURE
64)

C. Re-install the pressure sensor into the opposite end of the “Tee” fitting

D. Install the 1/8” NPT x –3 straight oil fitting (P/N 30544) into the “Tee” fitting

E. Install the braided oil supply line into the oil fitting from the previous step (SEE FIGURE 64).

Well, so much for that. I guess I need to put some more force behind it.

Last edited by BoostedProbe; 01-11-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
FredB

Yes I went back and changed the 1/4" to 1/8", and I see that you beat me to it. The only difference between the BSPT and NTP is that the Brittish (and European in general) threads are "square" and the NPT is "tapered". They are however compatible.

EDIT:

Straight out of the Turbonetics install manual:

A. Remove the electrical connector and the oil pressure sensor from the engine block (circled in FIGURE 63)

B. Install the 1/8” NPT “Tee” fitting (P/N 30562) into the block in the vacated hole (pointed out in FIGURE
64)

C. Re-install the pressure sensor into the opposite end of the “Tee” fitting

D. Install the 1/8” NPT x –3 straight oil fitting (P/N 30544) into the “Tee” fitting

E. Install the braided oil supply line into the oil fitting from the previous step (SEE FIGURE 64).

Well, so much for that. I guess I need to put some more force behind it.

You can thread an NPT into a bspt just fine just not vice versa if you dont believe me ruin the threads i dont really care just trying to give you some advice.

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
FredB

no thanks you aren't looking for an efficient 1000hp, so i wont comment on the work thats been done so far.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:43 PM
tylerxfire

and whats that supposed to mean, with you having 3 posts and all two of them not contributing to anything...this guys doing a great job!! don't see your write up on here of your do it yourself job...maybe i read wrong if so i appologize, but to me seems like you are putting his work down...hmm
Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM
FredB

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
and whats that supposed to mean, with you having 3 posts and all two of them not contributing to anything...this guys doing a great job!! don't see your write up on here of your do it yourself job...maybe i read wrong if so i appologize, but to me seems like you are putting his work down...hmm
i said it will suit his needs just fine, calm down amigo he probably sat there trying to thread the npt in a block for an hour and I assisted go back to sitting on the bench

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:50 PM
tylerxfire

oh no another internet tough guy with 4 posts now...holy **** big surprise....you will learn fast to keep ur damn mouth shut with stupid remarks or u will be put in your place...like i said maybe i read wrong....now i will let this go and not be a dick where as i should but ill give a little more time to adjust and im sure somebody will show you where to take your little comments..

sorry to garbage up the thread with a stupid noob guys, proceed with the good work bro.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
FredB

oh no another internet tough guy with 4 posts now...holy **** big surprise....you will learn fast to keep ur damn mouth shut with stupid remarks or u will be put in your place...like i said maybe i read wrong....now i will let this go and not be a dick where as i should but ill give a little more time to adjust and im sure somebody will show you where to take your little comments..

sorry to garbage up the thread with a stupid noob guys, proceed with the good work bro.
i bet you cant even change your own spark plugs

the DIY is cool im just trying to give an opinion and since i choose to keep my mouth shut about things i would change i'm a noob?

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
BoostedProbe

You can thread an NPT into a bspt just fine just not vice versa if you dont believe me ruin the threads i dont really care just trying to give you some advice.

You got it backwards there, and it only applies to threads smaller than 1/2".
Old 01-11-2009, 05:00 PM
FredB

You got it backwards there, and it only applies to threads smaller than 1/2".

good luck man congrats on the project
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
BoostedProbe

no thanks you aren't looking for an efficient 1000hp, so i wont comment on the work thats been done so far.
But you did, you said that you would do things differently. If I (or any other person on this forum) was shooting for 1000hp this is not what they or I would do.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
FredB

But you did, you said that you would do things differently. If I (or any other person on this forum) was shooting for 1000hp this is not what they or I would do.
IMO you should have placed the turbo a little bit higher, when you merge two banks you should never merge to the same size you went 2 2'' pipes merged into a single 2''. scavenge pumps are worthless and if this is a daily driver im sure you'll find this out sooner then later. There's a buch of unnecessary and cheated bends in this system.

but hey you asked ?

IMO it seemed like you wanted to save some money from buying a single kit and that they were inferior for whatever reason. I would defer from using mild steel for charge and turbo piping. If you have the capability to make your own kit why not use the best materials and save on labor?

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Allshow

great project going on. not a lot of people would attempt this caliber of a project big props to you. just cause he fabbed up the system himself and didnt buy a single setup premade doesnt mean he was trying to save money. i dont see any really cheap ways hes going about this build. all the bends hes making are for his kit that are needed.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 PM
FredB

just trying to give some advice but if its unappreciated i can post elsewhere.

what this thread tells me is why manufacturers can justify charging x amount for labor and materials and you have a guy here thats trying to do it himself and the thing is regardless its not cheap and if he made the end all kit in order to duplicate it im sure this guy would charge 7k+

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 PM
tylerxfire

i def. think you should go somewhere else...or maybe you can come over and show me how to change my plugs next since i don't know how, and i can show you a thing or two also...
your advice sucks, your advice is wrong and yeah move on to another thread, like i said you will be put in your place soon enough...this guy is doing a great job like i said, your comments are def. not needed..
Old 01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
tylerxfire

you better go get at ur 1000hp build buddy
Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
FredB

i def. think you should go somewhere else...or maybe you can come over and show me how to change my plugs next since i don't know how, and i can show you a thing or two also...
your advice sucks, your advice is wrong and yeah move on to another thread, like i said you will be put in your place soon enough...this guy is doing a great job like i said, your comments are def. not needed..
i never said anything negative............... you can not thread an NPT fitting into a BSPT block have you tried it first hand? if you did and had success let me know cuz i'd like to know what you did. just because you are upset you cant help him out and have nothing useful to add to this thread dont **** on my back bro

if my advice seems harsh unreasonable or brash let me know i wont hurt your feelings anymore

Last edited by FredB; 01-11-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: My winter project...turbo fabrication