Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the one I like. Thanks Eric.....lets see what the others think....Doing the center piece is a no brainer. If they made the center part ..WOW
Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by XKR
I agree...

Great find...this is what we need.....we could buy this from TS and build the center ourselves...thats the easy part..
Then why not just go for the mastergrade replica for the Z (which has been test fitted on the G35), use an APR front splitter/underpanel and make a center piece? This sounds like an easier way to go than just having the underpanel one piece.

If you want to go the "real" carbon fiber/carbon kevlar route, you can order the authentic G35 diffuser as well. FusionGT on g35driver has it on his TS widebody G35.

Last edited by Lawy'dU; 02-11-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought of another consideration that may affect some of us (myself included)...

There may be fitment/clearance issues with a full length undertray for those of us running GT Spec braces, especially the 4-point ladder brace. I might only be able to do a front diffuser and rear diffuser, if I want to retain the 4-point brace.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 AM
35Z

Default Undertray diffuser

I forgot to mention that carbon fiber is great (light weight, great compression strength). Check out adding a layer of Kevlar cloth weave (more resilient to objects throw at it). The manufacturing process is very similar and the weight is similar if your pre-peg,vaccum bag the undertray diffuser).

Are you having a mold by manufacture "X" made to accomplish your goal of a undertray diffuser? I am not planning on racing at 175+ m.p.h., but fine your concept intriguing.

With race class rules changing more frequently and deminishing sponsorships are a few of the reasons that I no longer participate in auto racing. What class are you currently racing in?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Glex25

Let me know how this comes out XKR.

I been thinking the same thing for a few years ever since going
to a true dual exhaust.
I believe that removing factory muffler creates a air pocket or drag since
it leaves that section exposed and no way for that air pocket to escape.

I have since change over to the Chargespeed rear which has a rear diffuser and
a vent underneath the license plate which would let that air escape, there still
might be some drag but greatly reduced.

I was also looking at the TS rear diffuser but no one could give me a straight
answer if it would clear the Greddy Evo TT canister and have been contemplating
on making my own as well as some thing to the effect that the GTR has underneath
the whole frame.

I can't wait for your findings and resolution to these issues and will keep a close
eye as I too am interested if you can make this viable.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
Then why not just go for the mastergrade replica for the Z (which has been test fitted on the G35), use an APR front splitter/underpanel and make a center piece? This sounds like an easier way to go than just having the underpanel one piece.

If you want to go the "real" carbon fiber/carbon kevlar route, you can order the authentic G35 diffuser as well. FusionGT on g35driver has it on his TS widebody G35.
After seeing the posts from RugeG.....I think the smart thing to do is go with a company that has tested the G/Z over 200mph. This could save alot of money in the long run. As far as the front splitter...I think the KarumaZ bumper was not my issue at high speeds...the rear was my problem...it felt light.....

Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Just thought of another consideration that may affect some of us (myself included)...

There may be fitment/clearance issues with a full length undertray for those of us running GT Spec braces, especially the 4-point ladder brace. I might only be able to do a front diffuser and rear diffuser, if I want to retain the 4-point brace.
I took the four point brace off a long time ago. For one thing....I did not see a difference with it on...also that damn thing would hit everything on the road. Once I installed the Tower brace I did not see a need for the four point one. I have 2 G-Spec braces....both are at the back. I am installing a roll cage also. If you fell you have to keep the four point on....the tray can be installed then the four point on top.

Originally Posted by 35Z
I forgot to mention that carbon fiber is great (light weight, great compression strength). Check out adding a layer of Kevlar cloth weave (more resilient to objects throw at it). The manufacturing process is very similar and the weight is similar if your pre-peg,vaccum bag the undertray diffuser).

Are you having a mold by manufacture "X" made to accomplish your goal of a undertray diffuser? I am not planning on racing at 175+ m.p.h., but fine your concept intriguing.

With race class rules changing more frequently and deminishing sponsorships are a few of the reasons that I no longer participate in auto racing. What class are you currently racing in?
Thanks for the info.....Because of the economy....my sponsorship for my GT1 race division car have fell my 55%....forcing me to either fill the gap with my own money....was a thought until this project came to mind. I chose to spend the money on my G instead. The class I am planning to run in is the 150mph class....this is why I am being very careful about keeping this outer body stock looking...when I say stock...I mean no wings or widebody kits. This is one of my reasons for going with the GTM GT35R turbo's is because they are big but hard to see unless you drop the motor or lift the car off the ground. There is alot of ego's at this event....and I am planning to deflate some even if it means getting DQ'ed .

Originally Posted by Glex25
Let me know how this comes out XKR.

I been thinking the same thing for a few years ever since going
to a true dual exhaust.
I believe that removing factory muffler creates a air pocket or drag since
it leaves that section exposed and no way for that air pocket to escape.

I have since change over to the Chargespeed rear which has a rear diffuser and
a vent underneath the license plate which would let that air escape, there still
might be some drag but greatly reduced.

I was also looking at the TS rear diffuser but no one could give me a straight
answer if it would clear the Greddy Evo TT canister and have been contemplating
on making my own as well as some thing to the effect that the GTR has underneath
the whole frame.

I can't wait for your findings and resolution to these issues and will keep a close
eye as I too am interested if you can make this viable.
Very good point...and this is where I am having issues with control at high speeds....the gap where the stock bumper sat is now trapping air which in turn tries to lift the car. From what I see with the TS diffuser ...it should fix the problem...but it will be tested. The GTR or Ferrari underplate effect is what we are going for.
We will get it to work Sharif and his staff is use to my "off the shelf" request.....Sharif has a GTR...so he has something to work with to get the results we are looking for. Forged Performance is turning into a Full Race...Full Street Race...Full Interior Custom one stop shop.

Last edited by XKR; 02-12-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
Going back a few pages I remember you saying you wanted a bolt-in/some-what removable cage.

After seeing all this, and that vid of the 350z crashing there I think you need to rething that first. There is no way I am trusting my life to a removable cage. I understand you don't want something intrusive in the car, and you don't want to get killed in tech, but man you gotta think safety at these speeds.

Not concerned with your driving ability but you are going into territory that very few have been (can probably count on one hand the number of people that have built a Z/G to go to these speeds etc), and you can never countount catastrophic parts failure......

As an outsider looking in, I hope you go with a full fixed cage. Just my $.02

tom
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
escobar929

Originally Posted by XKR
There is alot of ego's at this event....and I am planning to deflate some even if it means getting DQ'ed .
i <3 you cause of that!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by escobar929
i <3 you cause of that!
Agreed. Also could i see your gt1 car XKR???
Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by thom000001
Mike
Going back a few pages I remember you saying you wanted a bolt-in/some-what removable cage.

After seeing all this, and that vid of the 350z crashing there I think you need to rething that first. There is no way I am trusting my life to a removable cage. I understand you don't want something intrusive in the car, and you don't want to get killed in tech, but man you gotta think safety at these speeds.

Not concerned with your driving ability but you are going into territory that very few have been (can probably count on one hand the number of people that have built a Z/G to go to these speeds etc), and you can never countount catastrophic parts failure......

As an outsider looking in, I hope you go with a full fixed cage. Just my $.02

tom

Thanks Tom...

I guess I am saying it the wrong way ....The cage will be welded in....only the upper part that goes from the pillar mount to the rear part of the door on both sides and the part just below that protects you from side impact will be removable. The removable parts slides in like the attachment for a vacuum cleaner ..but gets locked in by a rugged bolt system.

I know some of you have seen the video that Cass posted....but I am shocked (as I am sure all you road racers on here are) That a world famous Japanese racer would make such a mistake as to lockup the rear end at such a high speed. You can see how it was down shifting like crazy...WHY???....there was no need...he could have made the car coast to a stop....

I assure you all that this will hold up to a roll over. I will surly post pictures when completed and take into consideration your concerns if you still have any. Because of this roll cage setup and after speaking to TTg35fort...I have decided to order some custom racing seats..CF of course..Yes, I know that I said I did not want to attract any attention...but I had no idea that the stock seats were that heavy. I removed the drivers seat which is the heaviest...and its crazy how heavy this thing is.

The weight saving with the seat removal will more than make up for the cage.

To Alberto, George, Tom, , RudeG, TTg35fort and all the others on here with "a need for speed" are welcome to join me in this event. Sharif will join me in the 2010for some crazy fun. If interested....read the rules..and see if you qualify...if not ......I will point you in the right direction.

As always..keep the ideas and comments coming

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Agreed. Also could i see your gt1 car XKR???
I will post it in my cardomain site and PM you when its there..KOOL

Last edited by XKR; 02-12-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
radiologue

I somehow doubt that the top secret rear diffuser is all that functional. Maybe if it was used in conjuction with additional underbody panels??? Anybody know if this piece was ever truly "tested".
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by radiologue
I somehow doubt that the top secret rear diffuser is all that functional. Maybe if it was used in conjuction with additional underbody panels??? Anybody know if this piece was ever truly "tested".
I am quit sure if it was used..it was only part of the puzzle. I am not going to just buy it and run with it...this will be a starting point for us in the Wind Tunnel. We are still going to use the same setup as the GTR / Ferrari in the mid section.

You should think about joint us.

Last edited by XKR; 02-12-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:40 AM
radiologue

Originally Posted by XKR
I am quit sure if it was used..it was only part of the puzzle. I am not going to just buy it and run with it...this will be a starting point for us in the Wind Tunnel. We are still going to use the same setup as the GTR / Ferrari in the mid section.

You should think about joint us.

I'm interested. My car is at Forged now if Sharif has any ideas.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks XKR Anyway goodluck on this project, one of the most exciting builds on this forum.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Crom

Voltex was put though a wind tunnel, you could fab their diffuser for the G I'm sure then build forward from that...I'd show you mine if I didn't get hosed from Gruppe-S...

Name:  2000669341975432602rstr8.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0640.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  43.5 KB

Last edited by Crom; 02-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swing out bars are no big thang I can see that.....hard time envisioning what the other bars will look like being removeable....but I've been at work all day so thats no surprise lol

I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Me go fast? I'm a baby I just like the BOV sound I'll look into it actually, not for this year but maybe next year.

tom

Originally Posted by XKR
Thanks Tom...

I guess I am saying it the wrong way ....The cage will be welded in....only the upper part that goes from the pillar mount to the rear part of the door on both sides and the part just below that protects you from side impact will be removable. The removable parts slides in like the attachment for a vacuum cleaner ..but gets locked in by a rugged bolt system.

I will post it in my cardomain site and PM you when its there..KOOL
Old 02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
rr_z33

Originally Posted by Crom
This makes me think that hood is causing a HUGE amount of turbulence.

i dont know if its that but isnt the air supposed to break up after the windshield not before?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Crom

Just the rear diffuser...but its hard to see the contribution in that photo.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
rr_z33

i got lucky and found this...

Old 02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by rr_z33
This makes me think that hood is causing a HUGE amount of turbulence.

i dont know if its that but isnt the air supposed to break up after the windshield not before?

Thats correct...And if that happens at the rear spoiler...then you make adjustments to make the stream smooth. With the setup on that Z ...my guess is they would have to reduse the air exiting through the hood for a smoother ride.

My guess is that the air coming out of the front grill and exiting through the hood is clashing with the stream going to the rear....that can make high speed runs feel like a workout.There is no harm using that setup for road racing because it helps with cooling but for Salt Flat runs.....NaHHHH

My plans are to have the air enter the grill but exit from below running along the Undertray and directed by the Diffuser.

Originally Posted by rr_z33
i got lucky and found this...

This picture tells the entire story....and this is exactly what we are planning to do. As you can see...if we get the Diffuser installed...the rest will be easy. Thanks for pic's

Last edited by XKR; 02-12-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1