Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

overZealous1, thank you very, very much!!!

Here are pics overZealous1's rear diffuser:

He indicated it is more effective than the pretty stuff out there, but this is about the nicest looking one I have seen for a Z or G!!! I like the looks of it better than the one I have now (pic below), and I am sure it is a h*ll of a lot more affective.

Also, some things to note:

1) It looks like it does not require moving the exaust tips (I'm assuming we won't have to me the mufflers either, but I'll let overZealous1 confirm this). This would be a nice cost savings.

2) He says it fits great.

3) OverZealous1 indicated that it is about 10 degrees, which is a pretty good angle.

4) It expands front to rear both in width and height, which is good.

I have asked him the following:

1) If he would be willing to make some air flow measurements if I come up with some instrumentation.

2) If he could use this as a template to make equivalent units out of carbon fiber?

3) If not, would he mind if we did?

Here is my present diffuser, which is fairly standard and probably not too affective:

Those are my old stock wheels/tires, also not very affective.

Also, that is my stock bumper. I have not yet had a chance get the new one I got from Eric put on. It's still sealed in it's original box sitting at the body shop until I get a chance to get my car over there. When I get it on, I'll be able to see the quality of Eric's work and I'll post pics. I'm anticipating that I'll need to modify it for the rear diffuser, but that will come later when we get the undertray design complete.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-07-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 AM
JETPILOT

Varis makes a universal diffuser that fits the Z.

Varis Diffuser

I have this in a bigger pic. PM me for the full size sent to your e-mail.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 02-08-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overZealous1
congrats man. been wanting to do that run for many years, since seeing r.j.gottlieb run 230mph in a stock bodied 69 camaro 15 years ago!
set your tire pressures on the high end. tire delamination is a big deal out there with no time for the sidewalls to cool down at constant speed.
are you allowed to pass? i don't think you can. with 1000rwhp (and tall gears) hit the unlimited class and give 'er hell. if you do the 150 class and break out in time, you will get dq'ed and not make the boards. hell, even in stock trim i did a speed limiter run (160) for 40 mins and was fine. surely your build will outdo a stock trimmed Z. crank it up and give 'er hell!
set up a decent rear diffuser to come off the belly pan and you will be fine. i made one that bolts to the rearend and is simple bent alum. i did a spinoff that closed the rear suspension also. if you want pics, pm me. simple design, and is more effective than the pretty stuff out there.
gl man.

I hear you man....I co-piloted this even a few years ago in a car that was built for me by a company by the name of Protomotive.....MAN!! ..we came 10 cars from dead last in open class. Back then 550whp was considered unstoppable....so we thought. Those guys in open class are animals

You can pass if the car up front gives you the "pass" signal....There is no problem if you pass a car in your bracket...but of you pass a car in the open class that is running good time when you are in a lower class....automatic DQ

To be honest...DQ does not matter to me...I am really doing it for the video and excitement. For $1000 you can pay a Helicopter to take video's of the entire run.

Thanks for the info...very helpful.....Maybe I may see you out there

I take it thats your Z.....Badazz !!! Thats the setup we are looking for.

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
overZealous1, thank you very, very much!!!

Here are pics overZealous1's rear diffuser:
Nice pictures....thats what I am looking for.....

BTW...2 seasons ago...there was a G35 that ran the Rolex 24 hours of Daytona.....I saw the car in the pits...but did not have time to really check it out.....My guess is that its running an underplate of some kind with a diffuser. I cant see anyone running a high speed even like that with out one. Does anyone have info on this car?

Last edited by XKR; 02-08-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Varis makes a universal diffuser that fits the Z.

I have this in a bigger pic. PM me for the full size sent to your e-mail.

Thanks Larry...Thats exactly what I want ..CF....

Terry....do you think that the company Larry posted would be willing to take on this project? They have the rear (for the Z)....thats the hard part....the center is a no brainer.

Last edited by XKR; 02-08-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
Thanks Larry...Thats exactly what I want ..CF....

Terry....do you think that the company Larry posted would be willing to take on this project? They have the rear (for the Z)....thats the hard part....the center is a no brainer.
I'll check into it this week.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Mike, what headgaskets are you running on the new build?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 AM
XKR

Mike, what headgaskets are you running on the new build?

HKS 97mm
Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
rr_z33

one thing i noticed about alot of the rear diffusers is that in overzealous's rear diff it doesnt extend past the body. the fins actually look like they poke out which is kind of opposite of what ive seen. im not sure if this all plays a significance but just looking at a bunch of cars and varis' design it seems that the body of the diffuser extends a little past the actual body work and the fins dont extend past the body of the diffuser. dont know if that makes sense. but heres a pic of the diffuser on a ferrari

i also think that the angle plays a peice of significance in regard to what you are trying achieve be it high speed stability or ultimate downforce.

Last edited by rr_z33; 02-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by rr_z33
i also think that the angle plays a peice of significance in regard to what you are trying achieve be it high speed stability or ultimate downforce.
Yes it does. We want the angle of the rear diffuser to be adjustable so that it can be adjusted for different target speeds.

I just noticed that Varis also makes front lower spoilers and front under panels for the Z in carbon fiber. They look like they are designed properly to create a venturi on the underside of the car, and should help significantly.

The venturi is not as optimized as something that would capture some of the air flow from the intercooler and direct it under the car (which I beleive would further improve the venturi effect) but there may not be enough room to do that anyway. Again, I won't know for sure until I have everything installed back in my car and get it up on a lift. I'm meeting with Roger tomorrow, and he almost always has Z's in the shop. I'll see if we can take a look at one of those.

If there is not enough room, which will probably turn out to be the case, the Varis front setup may be the best option for the Z guys. I'll call them this week to see if their setup will work with G's and after market bumpers.

I have a Kuruma Z front bumper. Mike, is that what you are going with? I don't remember. Let me know.

Alberto, Chris, and anybody else who is interested, please post what front bumpers you have if you have something other than stock. That way I can give Varis a list all at once. I'm not sure if they will offer to do any custom modifications, but it is worth asking.

Here is a pic of the lower spoiler and front under panel for the Z in carbon fiber:

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-08-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by rr_z33
one thing i noticed about alot of the rear diffusers is that in overzealous's rear diff it doesnt extend past the body. the fins actually look like they poke out which is kind of opposite of what ive seen. im not sure if this all plays a significance but just looking at a bunch of cars and varis' design it seems that the body of the diffuser extends a little past the actual body work and the fins dont extend past the body of the diffuser. dont know if that makes sense. but heres a pic of the diffuser on a ferrari

Thats correct....they do stick out a little on the Ferrari....but thats because of the shape of the upper half of the car. .

Last edited by XKR; 02-08-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
XKR

Yes it does. We want the angle of the rear diffuser to be adjustable so that it can be adjusted for different target speeds.

I just noticed that Varis also makes front lower spoilers and front under panels for the Z in carbon fiber. They look like they are designed properly to create a venturi on the underside of the car, and should help significantly.

The venturi is not as optimized as something that would capture some of the air flow from the intercooler and direct it under the car (which I beleive would further improve the venturi effect) but there may not be enough room to do that anyway. Again, I won't know for sure until I have everything installed back in my car and get it up on a lift. I'm meeting with Roger tomorrow, and he almost always has Z's in the shop. I'll see if we can take a look at one of those.

If there is not enough room, which will probably turn out to be the case, the Varis front setup may be the best option for the Z guys. I'll call them this week to see if their setup will work with G's and after market bumpers.

I have a Kuruma Z front bumper. Mike, is that what you are going with? I don't remember. Let me know.

Alberto, Chris, and anybody else who is interested, please post what front bumpers you have if you have something other than stock. That way I can give Varis a list all at once. I'm not sure if they will offer to do any custom modifications, but it is worth asking.

Here is a pic of the lower spoiler and front under panel for the Z in carbon fiber:

I am sticking with the KurumaZ...WOW...this maybe easier than expected if this company could make this for us...

Last edited by XKR; 02-08-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
I am sticking with the KurumaZ...WOW...this maybe easier than expected if this company could make this for us...
Less expensive too!
Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 PM
rr_z33

looks like it also channels air straight to the brakes which is a nice little plus.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Crom

Euro actually makes a universal rear diffuser for the Z33 that is basically a clone of the RE-Amemiya one for the FD35 that almost extends to the diff.

Name:  Euro.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  25.8 KB
Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Crom
Euro actually makes a universal rear diffuser for the Z33 that is basically a clone of the RE-Amemiya one for the FD35 that almost extends to the diff.

Exactly .... This is what I used on my RX7....If all fails....I will buy one and we can start from this model or the one overZealous1 and Larry posted.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM
radiologue

My FRONT BUMPER: Top Secret (wide body / short nose)
Attached Thumbnails XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1-sma_dsc6800.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
DanielW
Banned

sorry if this has already been covered but why did you decide to go with a 4.0 instead of a 4.2?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by DanielW
sorry if this has already been covered but why did you decide to go with a 4.0 instead of a 4.2?
I think I know the answer. For the 4.2 you need to sleeve the motor. For the 4.0 you don't. Sleeved VQ35 motors generally are not recommended for cars being tracked. Some people have had some issues with them.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
rr_z33

looking at the eurou one. doesnt really look like a large volume of air is being utilized in its design. i think to really maximize the effectiveness of a rear diffuser in this case the exhaust will have to be relocated.

dont know if this makes any sense but this is how i would have it...

relocated exhaust exits to the middle of the trunk area.
two large sections to the left and right with two veins that dont extend past the furthest part of the body. then one section in the middle. that is kind of inverted similar to the ferrari's design.

Last edited by rr_z33; 02-08-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

asm front diffuser
Attached Thumbnails XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1-asmdiffuserz33.jpg  

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1