Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 AM
marra23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heads up mate. check those wheel arch plastics. mine came lose on a 10mile run(were my max speedo speed 280km/h most of the time).
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Germanguy

Pics rwar rawr
Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Top Secret CF front diffuser. Simialr to Varis, it's also an undertray. I would need something from the diffuser back.

Click for pics of my front end...

https://my350z.com/forum/members/alb...r-tt-350z.html
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If I'm understanding some of the posts correctly.........I don't think "ya'll" will have the patience/fortitude to wait on Varis to make something.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer.......I'm just saying.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
If I'm understanding some of the posts correctly.........I don't think "ya'll" will have the patience/fortitude to wait on Varis to make something.

To add to this, even parts they already currently make, takes quite a bit of time to come through..
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I think I know the answer. For the 4.2 you need to sleeve the motor. For the 4.0 you don't. Sleeved VQ35 motors generally are not recommended for cars being tracked. Some people have had some issues with them.
Well said....

I have a feeling that the people that are interested so far will be willing to wait if they know it will work.

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
To add to this, even parts they already currently make, takes quite a bit of time to come through..

They may charge a "Drop everything" price...and if they see a great demand from members on here...they will work on our project. Remember...the VQ community is strong...this is what someone from Cosworth said to me when I spoke to them....they feel our platform is not to be taken lightly.

They know that if they wont work with us...we just move on to the next shop.

Last edited by XKR; 02-09-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
buzzardmountain

+1

The universal rear diffuser and universal rear vortex generators are a 6 month minimum wait......

^^^When I checked on those a few months ago....that was the best case scenario........so I was figuring adding at least 3 more months for the Japanese pace of work......lol

That's for a "standard" "universal" piece...........i.e. not custom......

I'm just saying........lol
Old 02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
XKR

+1

The universal rear diffuser and universal rear vortex generators are a 6 month minimum wait......

^^^When I checked on those a few months ago....that was the best case scenario........so I was figuring adding at least 3 more months for the Japanese pace of work......lol

That's for a "standard" "universal" piece...........i.e. not custom......

I'm just saying........lol
To be honest...I would rather work with someone I know or someone that TTg35fort is planning to work with. I would rather pay the extra and have it the way we want it and not have to wait so long to get it made. I could even work with Sharif at his shop to come up with a mold and them have it done in CF. Even Sharif would be interested in one for his Z. FP has a guy there by the name of Chris...He is the one that made the front brace that sits behind my IC....I know for a fact that Chris/FP can make this in sheet metal and we can take it and have it done in CF.

My car is going to be there for a while to have everything done....so that would be the best time to relocate mufflers.

Last edited by XKR; 02-09-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
350Z400rwhp

I don't know anything about this stuff but make sure you don't make a wing on wheels either! I would research what goes into Le mans cars and their underside diffusers. Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck and can't wait to see it!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of posts to respond to... those familiar with me know that I get long winded. But I'll try to make this as brief as I can while still conveying my thoughts.

If Varis will work with us in the time frame we need, GREAT (it's not like we will be asking to have this done within the next month). If not, that's their tough luck and we'll take our business to somebody who does want to work with us. I beleive that whoever helps us to achieve our desired solution will reap a significant benefit. In this economy, who wants to turn away business and valuable marketing? I.e., whatever we do will be posted all over this and the G35 forum, notwithstanding Mikes run in the Silver State Classic. I know of no G/Z owners with better credentials on the Internet than Mike, Alberto and Sharif (... sorry eagletangreen, but you parted out). This is my own opinion, and probably not worth discussing further.

We have already discussed relocating the exhaust to the center. Although this may be a little of a hassle, in the overall scheme of things, the cost impact will not be that significant. The more important issue is ensuring that we optimize the tradeoff between downforce and drag.

The undertray for the front and middle of the car probably won't be adjustable based on the configuration of the cars we are using. On the other hand, the rear diffuser provides more opportunity for making adjustments (i.e., angle of the venturi with respect to the ground and angle of the venturi veriticle plates with respect to the direction of travel). The optimum rear diffusser for us will work with the front and middle udertrays to maximize the air flow velocity under the car, while smoothly slowing the velocity of the air flow as it exits from beneath the car to match the velocity of the car's top airflow stream as it departs the top of the car. Also, we want to introduce approprate vorticies to break up boundary layers on the underside of the car.

At this point, we have not yet performed any testing, nor have I seen any testing performed on a G or Z, which indicates whether an adjustable venturi is worth the hassle. Thus, we really don't know. In other words, for a G/Z, is the optimal setup for a rear diffuser at an average speed of 175 mph significantly different than the optimal setup for an average speed of 95 mph?

I stongly suspect that we will benefit from a variable geometry diffuser, but without test data, this is an educated SWAG on my part. I intend on performing testing that will give us a general indication as to how our cars are effected by different diffuser geometries, and thus whether a single geometry is adequate for our purposes, or whether we are better off with an adjustable geometry. Moreover, I would like to form a general prediction as to which geometries are best for different target vehicle speeds.

If a particular geometry proves to be universally applicable (which I doubt), then we will choose to go with a fixed geometry diffuser. If a variable geometry diffuser provides significant benefits, then my suggestion will be that we go in this direction.

That said, if anybody has test data on rear diffusers for the G/Z that they would like to share with us, that would be greatly appreciated!!! We will take and evaluate any accurate input and data we can get our hands on.

T

Last edited by ttg35fort; 02-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 AM
buzzardmountain

One more post from me on Varis.....I didn't intend to ruffle any feathers.....just wanted to help out. I was burned in the past with Do-Luck......my 4-6 week initial lead time turned into 13 months. I swear to god every time you make an order for a "JDM" product, the standard response is 4-6 weeks. I don't want to see anyone get jerked around....that's all.

I look forward to the results and pricing as I may be interested.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
A lot of posts to respond to... those familiar with me know that I get long winded. But I'll try to make this as brief as I can while still conveying my thoughts.

If Varis will work with us in the time frame we need, GREAT (it's not like we will be asking to have this done within the next month). If not, that's their tough luck and we'll take our business to somebody who does want to work with us. I beleive that whoever helps us to achieve our desired solution will reap a significant benefit. In this economy, who wants to turn away business and valuable marketing? I.e., whatever we do will be posted all over this and the G35 forum, notwithstanding Mikes run in the Silver State Classic. I know of no G/Z owners with better credentials on the Internet than Mike, Alberto and Sharif (... sorry eagletangreen, but you parted out). This is my own opinion, and probably not worth discussing further.

We have already discussed relocating the exhaust to the center. Although this may be a little of a hassle, in the overall scheme of things, the cost impact will not be that significant. The more important issue is ensuring that we optimize the tradeoff between downforce and drag.

The undertray for the front and middle of the car probably won't be adjustable based on the configuration of the cars we are using. On the other hand, the rear diffuser provides more opportunity for making adjustments (i.e., angle of the venturi with respect to the ground and angle of the venturi veriticle plates with respect to the direction of travel). The optimum rear diffusser for us will work with the front and middle udertrays to maximize the air flow velocity under the car, while smoothly slowing the velocity of the air flow as it exits from beneath the car to match the velocity of the car's top airflow stream as it departs the top of the car. Also, we want to introduce approprate vorticies to break up boundary layers on the underside of the car.

At this point, we have not yet performed any testing, nor have I seen any testing performed on a G or Z, which indicates whether an adjustable venturi is worth the hassle. Thus, we really don't know. In other words, for a G/Z, is the optimal setup for a rear diffuser at an average speed of 175 mph significantly different than the optimal setup for an average speed of 95 mph?

I stongly suspect that we will benefit from a variable geometry diffuser, but without test data, this is an educated SWAG on my part. I intend on performing testing that will give us a general indication as to how our cars are effected by different diffuser geometries, and thus whether a single geometry is adequate for our purposes, or whether we are better off with an adjustable geometry. Moreover, I would like to form a general prediction as to which geometries are best for different target vehicle speeds.

If a particular geometry proves to be universally applicable (which I doubt), then we will choose to go with a fixed geometry diffuser. If a variable geometry diffuser provides significant benefits, then my suggestion will be that we go in this direction.

That said, if anybody has test data on rear diffusers for the G/Z that they would like to share with us, that would be greatly appreciated!!! We will take and evaluate any accurate input and data we can get our hands on.

T

When we get close to figuring out which direction we want to go...we can plan to meet at a track somewhere thats fair to all. I know I can get Sharif and his staff to join us at Road Atlanta. If we go this route with our own testing..I would rather have the design done at a company or shop thats not in our market. I dont mind spending the money on this research...but I am not just going to hand our the findings to someone to make money on our hard work.

Alberto, George and all the others that have shown interest in this setup are welcome to join us on a day or two of testing....we could make a fun day out of this. There are air speed equipment that would be needed....but I am sure with so many members on here..these has to be a few that could steer us in the right direction.....LARRY !!

One more post from me on Varis.....I didn't intend to ruffle any feathers.....just wanted to help out. I was burned in the past with Do-Luck......my 4-6 week initial lead time turned into 13 months. I swear to god every time you make an order for a "JDM" product, the standard response is 4-6 weeks. I don't want to see anyone get jerked around....that's all.

I look forward to the results and pricing as I may be interested.
Dont worry about that...opinions are always welcome in my threads

Last edited by XKR; 02-10-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Crom

XKR...Please don't jump ship after this financial escapade to go for the gusto...Alot of time/money and effort is going into this thing. - and time and time again when a reputable z owner chooses this road they end up selling shortly afterwards...Bam Bam, eagle, nitrouz,... I want this setup to stick around for a while and hope this event isn't a one time thing.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:43 AM
XKR

You can trust me on this one....I am not going anywhere. Every car I have ever build...I still have...It makes me sick to say this....but I dump over 100-175K in some of them and then I cant sell it. I would never part out Sharif's hard work...this party has just gotten started.

This G was built to prove a point to the Corvette club...My car may have been banned...but point has been well proven. Now with this upcoming event..my G has found a new home I love this community more than all the other I have been involved in....No Stuff Shirts over here.

Originally Posted by Crom
XKR...Please don't jump ship after this financial escapade to go for the gusto...Alot of time/money and effort is going into this thing. - and time and time again when a reputable z owner chooses this road they end up selling shortly afterwards...Bam Bam, eagle, nitrouz,... I want this setup to stick around for a while and hope this event isn't a one time thing.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
XKR

New update....

Just got off the phone with Sharif...he will be involved with this side project....He has come up with the idea of renting a Wind Tunnel in ( I think he said) NC.

This would save us a lot of the guess work....I am sure TTg35fort would agree. Sharif also said that he would make the design out of some kind of lightweight metal and we could then have it made out of CF. Things are coming together.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Crom

Awesome.....

- I found a new hood decal for you.

Name:  FTWcover_small.png
Views: 127
Size:  61.8 KB
Old 02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
XKR

^^^ ^^^
Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XKR
New update....

Just got off the phone with Sharif...he will be involved with this side project....He has come up with the idea of renting a Wind Tunnel in ( I think he said) NC.

This would save us a lot of the guess work....I am sure TTg35fort would agree. Sharif also said that he would make the design out of some kind of lightweight metal and we could then have it made out of CF. Things are coming together.
Very cool, can't wait to see where this leads to. Do you plan on running in the Texas Mile in the near future?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
XKR

Very cool, can't wait to see where this leads to. Do you plan on running in the Texas Mile in the near future?

For sure ....The 200mph club is doing something in the summer.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for this sticker mike

Originally Posted by XKR
For sure ....The 200mph club is doing something in the summer.

Quick Reply: XKR Super G... Going for Mach 1