Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009 | 05:14 AM
binder

why can't the womanfolk just let us be? lol...i'm glad it's not just mine. I was starting to feel like my woman was crazy. haha
Old 11-01-2009 | 05:57 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by binder
why can't the womanfolk just let us be? lol...i'm glad it's not just mine. I was starting to feel like my woman was crazy. haha
I spray brake cleaner all over the garage, she thinks it stinks and rarely comes in. Not that I really have anything to hide, I'm just giving you guys tips.
Old 11-01-2009 | 07:38 AM
binder

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
I spray brake cleaner all over the garage, she thinks it stinks and rarely comes in. Not that I really have anything to hide, I'm just giving you guys tips.
nice

mine doesn't come in the garage either except to park her car and sometimes she stacks up boxes of her pharmaceutical information packets.

mine just likes to harass me about working on the car all the time "every time i call you're working on the car, whenever i'm home you're working on the car". she's not mean about it but crap....
Old 11-02-2009 | 09:37 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
bwahahahahahahahahhahahaahahahaha

I think that ish isn't good to breathe bro. "dont breathe this!"

Sylvan I couldn't find anywhere, what exhaust you are running? Im what you call a ricer, and I really like your car's sound.......... One of the better sounding Boosted VQ's out there.
Old 11-03-2009 | 04:30 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

^^^ He was running the turndowns originally. I'm not sure if the car spent enough time on the road for him to put on an exhaust yet.

Still waiting for teardown results.
Old 11-03-2009 | 07:29 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Cass007
^^^ He was running the turndowns originally. I'm not sure if the car spent enough time on the road for him to put on an exhaust yet.

Still waiting for teardown results.
seemed way too quiet for turndowns in that vid
Old 11-03-2009 | 07:41 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by Resmarted
seemed way too quiet for turndowns in that vid

I was going to post a few other vids for you to listen to the one on the dyno only revs to 4500rpm. Any way its custom Forged Performance 3.5" down pipes that go down to 3" and the exhaust I had was a Stillen 2.5" True dual we had to shorten the Stillen due to the length of the Forged down pipes and we flared them to mate with the 3" . My plan was to do a custom 3" but I havent had the car running long enough to get to that. So basically Custon Forged down pipes to a customized Stillen true dual.
I do like the sound of it so I may not do a full 3" right away. I will try to find some vids with my old 530bbs and FI test pipes to the Stillen. I dont have any videos of the modified exhaust reving over 4500rpm.

Here is a real old vid

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm-vyfdhUx4"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm-vyfdhUx4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 11-03-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2009 | 09:27 PM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I was going to post a few other vids for you to listen to the one on the dyno only revs to 4500rpm. Any way its custom Forged Performance 3.5" down pipes that go down to 3" and the exhaust I had was a Stillen 2.5" True dual we had to shorten the Stillen due to the length of the Forged down pipes and we flared them to mate with the 3" . My plan was to do a custom 3" but I havent had the car running long enough to get to that. So basically Custon Forged down pipes to a customized Stillen true dual.
I do like the sound of it so I may not do a full 3" right away. I will try to find some vids with my old 530bbs and FI test pipes to the Stillen. I dont have any videos of the modified exhaust reving over 4500rpm.

Here is a real old vid

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm-vyfdhUx4"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm-vyfdhUx4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>
this sounds..... (yummy).....
fap fap fap fap fap
love it!
Im trying to decide what to run. Friend is willing to do a 3 inch TD custom setup for cheap, but trying to decide on what mufflers to use (i obviously like your setup )
Old 11-08-2009 | 03:35 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

I got the engine on an engine stand this week end but I have not had time to get the heads off yet to fully see the damage. I have been thinking about scrapping my block and talking to Sharif about a Forged short block using some of my parts (crank and Pauter rods) and getting the block machined to accept the 1/2" head studs. What do would you guys do in my position even if it is a minor fix on the set up i have with the sleeves I might be like Alberto and have headlift again in 6000miles. Or if Sharif would build a short block with some of my parts(not sure if he would or not) it would be far less likely I will have issues. XKR made 800whp with a similar set up but no head work or no oversize valves which I have both so I will make more power than I need/want. I think i would have more confidence in Forged built motor than a Gord assembled motor with sleeves.

Opinions please..... I have yet to contact Sharif and see how he feels about reusing my crank/rods but if he were to agree what would you guys do.

1)Work with what i have = less cost but more time invested, more displacement

2)go with Forged = more money less time for me, less risk of future failure

Its at the point the budget is far shot the more money part really sucks but I have spent so much time on the car now that the time budget is way over as well.
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:01 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Option 2 Gord
Old 11-08-2009 | 04:07 PM
MPD47

https://my350z.com/forum/7862795-post17.html

Brent is parting his car, buy his engine?
Old 11-08-2009 | 05:55 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by MPD47
https://my350z.com/forum/7862795-post17.html

Brent is parting his car, buy his engine?
It sounds like it has lots of fancy parts but so did the engine I have now. I think if I wanted to stay sleeved I would work with the one I have.

I think Cass is right I might have to suck it up and shell out some more cash.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 11-08-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2010 | 09:48 AM
midz350

Updates?
Old 01-06-2010 | 11:54 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by midz350
Updates?
I wouldn't expect much motion where he lives.......it's probably -30f up there this time of the year.
Old 01-06-2010 | 08:18 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I wouldn't expect much motion where he lives.......it's probably -30f up there this time of the year.
Cars aren't really a priority up here right now I wasn't going to update till it was running again and I was sure the issues are behind me my goal is to have it running again before the end of March.
I will update with more detail at that time So as it sits right now I am waiting for new head gaskets that I expect them to be here this week.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 01-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2010 | 01:13 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Well a little update, it might be premature as I have yet to get it on the dyno.

For those of you that have not followed the thread. Here are some cliffs, I set out to build a DIY monster with slightly used parts as well as lots of new parts.

I bought XKRs slightly used (one was actually a fresh rebuild) JWT 850bb turbos and 3.5" custom down pipes, I also bought alot of another members parts from an abandond build. The build was documented so i felt confident the milage and the parts list were accurate. So i bought his used Wilwood BBK, his Quafie 3.3 LSD, 1000ss HKS injectors and finally his fully built engine all parts were said to less than 5000miles and the engine had only seen 5psi of boost as it was never tuned after the break in,

I bought lots of new parts CJM twin pumps and return fuel system, Cosworth intake, ViPEC V-88 ECU. As well as other stuff I had from my original stock block TT build. Anyway I pulled the stock motor stripped everything I needed off of it and dressed the built long block. I dropped the fully dressed engine in and everything went well on start up a few leaks to track down basically the norm for DIY builds.
I got a mild tune done (my exhaust was just running open dumps still) I drove the car for a few weeks and everything was running well. I then got the exhaust finished up and chased down another small leak we went to the dyno for some tuning but discovered the Cosworth end caps were leaking. I had the leak taken care of and fixed a small oil leak from the turbo oil return and I was cleaning up the shop with my car idling outside when the car stalled the car wouldn't start WTF so I ended up trouble shooting until i discovered a broken camshaft it appeared the cam gears had been bolted up using an impact that was set to kill.

anyway the snout of the cam broke off. Luckily it was at an idle and on valves were damaged. So i tore the front of the car down and upgraded from JWT S1 cams and Ferrea Ti springs to JWT C2s and JWT springs.

After i got everything back together it was off to the dyno. Where things went well at first. At 18-19psi we tuned up to 5000 rpm the car was making 575whp and 620ft/lbs while tuning

We were tuning fairly conserative with pump gas and no meth yet. We were at 5000-5500rpm and decided to take a break and let the car cool down, when I walked back in the dyno room I noticed coolant leaking on the floor i thought I had popped a coolant hose. Upon further investigation the coolant overflow was full and running over I had a good guess at what this meant. We pulled the car off the dyno and the next day i came back and started confirming my worst nightmare. I did a leak down, compression test and pressure test on the cooling system everything looked good .

So I took it for a drive it ran fine seemed good.....until I hit the boost I did a short run with 15psi and stopped and had a look at the coolant over flow sure enough it was overflowing I had a head gasket issue.
So i pulled the engine, and tore the engine down. When I got the heads off I was shocked, I had the ARP 1/2" studs ( I knew this) the head gaskets were not cut for the big studs so the gaskets were not laying flat they were distorted I had a b1tch of a time getting them off the block. After I got them off I tried to put them back on, not a chance I think the only way the gaskets could have put on was to set them over the threaded part of the studs and use the heads to push them on or set the gaskets on then thread the studs into the block . Anyway you could see traces of carbon going into the water jacket but it seems it wasn't head lift per say but improper HG install and it was only a matter of time before they failed.

This time around I was going to make some changes with a few things that i was not happy with the first go around. First off I ordered new HG I went with Cometic Phuzion they were fairly new but Cometic has had great results with them. They are like a poor mans O-ringing.

I sent the heads away and had them plained

Here are the new HG that are cut for the 1/2" head studs being installed the rings go in last.

without the ring in the middle cylinder

installing the rings

ring installed

Torquing the heads down

Getting ready to install the engine

Engine in

adding the Evans NPG-R

So where am I at now? I have everything installed and the car runs, but i have an exhaust leak I have to chase down then onto the dyno!!
Old 04-25-2010 | 01:35 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

SWEET!!!

Great to hear Gord. Can't wait to see some #s on the tune and I hope everything goes smoothly for you this time around. BTW, the gold wrap in the engine bay is pure PIMP
Old 04-25-2010 | 08:11 PM
350z006

Man...not to add any drama but who built this engine?

I mean, badly overtorqued cam bolts and headgasket not cut for ARP bolts...

Last edited by 350z006; 04-25-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-25-2010 | 08:20 PM
IslandZavage

how did u fix the leak on the Cosworth caps?
Old 04-26-2010 | 04:04 AM
GreenGoblin

Gord I am glad you are back on track, any chance of you coming to Zdays?

Quick Reply: Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.