Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009 | 09:45 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Default Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.

After i got everything back together it was off to the dyno. Where things went well at first. At 18-19psi we tuned up to 5000 rpm the car was making 575whp and 620ft/lbs while tuning

adding the Evans NPG-R

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 06-29-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2009 | 09:49 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Here is a feature list if you guys are interested.
http://www.lightspeedinnovations.com/upload/ViPEC.pdf

Here is my car with the Vi-Pec running the drive by wire throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AggV_-rFYM

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 06-29-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-17-2009 | 11:45 PM
wannabuy350z

good luck, def keep up with updates
Old 02-18-2009 | 04:30 AM
chris'smax

Everything you have listed in your build is geared towards a high horsepower setup that will make power all the way to redline. With that said i would say the 850's would be a good match for the rest of your setup (that is if you don't mind the added lag)
Old 02-18-2009 | 05:41 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

- I hope the EMS does everything you exepect it to, I will be watching for updates.
Old 02-18-2009 | 06:13 AM
0jiggy0

Looks like a nice product. Keep us up to date and let us know if it delivers
Old 02-18-2009 | 06:15 AM
rcdash

Kudos to the early adopters! This looks like a stout piece of hardware - all comes down to execution and support. Interesting - I think they are based in Australia. Will Dave at F:T be the US distributor? If so, he'd be the first to accept the liability for electronic throttle control. Please keep us informed.
Old 02-18-2009 | 06:29 AM
BoostedProbe

Ha ha, I knew it! Built motor. Good luck with the build Gord. Who is doing your engine build/machining, someone locally? I am curious about the cost vs buying a build shortblock. I know that nothing is cheap in Alberta.
Old 02-18-2009 | 06:47 AM
thom000001

I agree with chris, if you are going to stay with JWT go for the 850's. Everything else will put you upwards of 7xxrwhp (at least), so don't go cheap on the turbos.
If you are open to other turbos there are a lot of options for those levels as well.

I will always push the Pro-EFI, but proximety to the tuner means SOOOOOOO much (I lucked out being 20min from Sound Performance), don't want to ship your car half way across the continent to find out its just a bum sensor........

Keep us updated on progess....have a hope for completion date????

tom
Old 02-18-2009 | 06:50 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rcdash
Kudos to the early adopters! This looks like a stout piece of hardware - all comes down to execution and support. Interesting - I think they are based in Australia. Will Dave at F:T be the US distributor? If so, he'd be the first to accept the liability for electronic throttle control. Please keep us informed.
As far as I know, Dave is not a distributor yet. There is actully a distributor about 40 min north of me, Kevin Black in Lemoyne, PA. He offerred to have me be a test mule for the PnP 350Z harness on the Vi-PEC last fall, but I turned him down because I thought I was going Autronic....another lost opportunity (sigh).

Dave got mine in less than a week from another distributor he deals with, but I have no idea who that is.
Old 02-18-2009 | 08:02 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by thom000001
I agree with chris, if you are going to stay with JWT go for the 850's. Everything else will put you upwards of 7xxrwhp (at least), so don't go cheap on the turbos.
If you are open to other turbos there are a lot of options for those levels as well.

I will always push the Pro-EFI, but proximety to the tuner means SOOOOOOO much (I lucked out being 20min from Sound Performance), don't want to ship your car half way across the continent to find out its just a bum sensor........

tom
If you go with the 850bb, would you stick with the S1 cams? I'd probably look at a BC stage 2 or 3 depending on if you wanted mid range or high end gains... JWT has some new cams too, but I'm not familiar with them. Something to consider while you have the opportunity.
Old 02-18-2009 | 08:48 AM
thom000001

Good point, BC stage 2's or 3's would be great. Don't know anything about the new jwt ones yet.

With the oversize valves and headwork might as well make the use of them.

my non tuner input would be shoot for a 8K redline. I think if you are going to go much higher you'll need the billet girdle.

good luck on the build.

tom

Originally Posted by rcdash
If you go with the 850bb, would you stick with the S1 cams? I'd probably look at a BC stage 2 or 3 depending on if you wanted mid range or high end gains... JWT has some new cams too, but I'm not familiar with them. Something to consider while you have the opportunity.
Old 02-18-2009 | 05:07 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by thom000001

tom
I hear you on what your tuner is comfortable with. I am lucky my tuner has experience with lots of EMS he has used Haltech as well. We live in the middle onf nowhere and tuning isnt a huge industry here so he gets most of the cars in our area with all different EMS. I hope to have it running by the end of March (depending on how much I work) I am doing the engine swap myself so I need a good weekend when I am free to go to town on it. I hope to have all of the parts here by early next week I am waiting on CJM twin pump set up from Forged and Cosworth to ship my intake and to decide on turbos. I was thinking the 850s as well I think if I get 700s down the road I will be dissapointed and end up buying the 850s.
Old 02-18-2009 | 09:57 PM
terps

any pictures of tuning/map loading interface. really doesnt matter but the haltech GUI is money and wanted to see how this compared.
Old 02-19-2009 | 03:06 AM
marra23

not to many favour the cometic head gasket, i am running one as well let see if it last.
Old 02-19-2009 | 04:17 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by terps
any pictures of tuning/map loading interface. really doesnt matter but the haltech GUI is money and wanted to see how this compared.
I will make sure we get lots of pics during install and tuning, but I have no idea on the GUI. Its not like I plan on going in and changing things though, that is what I pay Dave for.
Old 02-19-2009 | 05:28 AM
mforrest100

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I hear you on what your tuner is comfortable with. I am lucky my tuner has experience with lots of EMS he has used Haltech as well. We live in the middle onf nowhere and tuning isnt a huge industry here so he gets most of the cars in our area with all different EMS. I hope to have it running by the end of March (depending on how much I work) I am doing the engine swap myself so I need a good weekend when I am free to go to town on it. I hope to have all of the parts here by early next week I am waiting on CJM twin pump set up from Forged and Cosworth to ship my intake and to decide on turbos. I was thinking the 850s as well I think if I get 700s down the road I will be dissapointed and end up buying the 850s.
Not sure if this is still the case but I remember with Sharif doing builds with the 850's they felt that the intercooler JWT provided was not efficient enough for the turbos meaning you may have to do some custom piping for another intercooler setup. Just an additional cost to think about. But when you put so much into a setup like this why cheap out on this. I say go for it...
Old 02-19-2009 | 08:00 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by mforrest100
Not sure if this is still the case but I remember with Sharif doing builds with the 850's they felt that the intercooler JWT provided was not efficient enough for the turbos meaning you may have to do some custom piping for another intercooler setup. Just an additional cost to think about. But when you put so much into a setup like this why cheap out on this. I say go for it...
I talked with Sharif he said the JWT intercoolers will be a bottle neck even when pushing the 700s. It is getting to the point where some things will have to wait till next year. My wife is getting annoyed every time UPS shows up at our door she wants a new kitchen so that will leave a dent in my car fund.
Old 02-19-2009 | 08:14 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
My wife is getting annoyed every time UPS shows up at our door she wants a new kitchen so that will leave a dent in my car fund.

Ha ha, that's too funny. My wife always calls me at work, asking what I bought now when the delivery truck shows up. I am a step ahead of you though, when we decided to buy a house, I said I want to build a new one. She was happy about that, but there is a reason. I let her do everything, floor plan, color, lighting, kitched...she drew up the floor plan as well.... everything. That way I don't have to listen things like " I need a new kitchen".
Expensive, yes, but no nagging.

Back on toppic, who is doing the engine build for you?
Old 02-19-2009 | 08:24 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by terps
If you go 1/2 way down the page there is a video of the auto tune fuction I am not sure if thats what your looking for I dont know much about tuning.

http://www.lightspeedinnovations.com/

Quick Reply: Running the New Vi-PEC EMS for my build.