Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS turbo studs replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APS turbo studs replacement?

So 2 years ago I pulled my stock motor out and swapped my APS TT kit to my built motor. In the process of removing the turbos, I rounded a couple of the lock nuts that hold the turbos to the manifolds since all i could get on them was an open end wrench.

The studs used in the aps kit are dual thread, so they are not readily available.

I went to the local hardware store and was able to find hardened studs that matched the length and were single thread that matched the manifold. I then bought some thin 12mm nuts and tightened them pretty good. I did not use split washers though.

Fast forward to now, 3 out of the four nut/stud combos on the drivers side turbo have backed themselves out and disappeared. At least one is gone from the pass side turbo. So now I'm in the process of pulling my motor for no other reason then to "re-stud" and torque down new hardware on the turbos.

(before anyone says that I should have replaced the studs with the motor in the car, I couldn't find any way to PROPERLY torque the nuts on the studs with the motor in the car.)

Anyway..does anyone know where I can get some replacement hardware that WON'T back itself out?? I know some shops had to have run into this issue.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

No loctite?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by r3van
Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by R3VAN
Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
No loctite?
Turbos get too hot for loctite
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

There is a threadlocker http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_threadlockers.htm

The red loctite withstands only to about 500 deg..

Product Description
Loctite 272 Red withstands temperatures to 450 Degrees F. This high-temp/High-strength threadlocker is formulated for heavy-duty applications. Prevents bolts up to 1-1/2" (36mm) from loosening due to shock severe vibration and heatstress. An exclusive formulation for newer engines and high performance applications where extreme temperature resistance is required. removable with heat and hand tools. Suggested applications: Camshaft sprocket bolts crankshaft bolts idler bearings press fit filler tubes transmission input and output shaft threads ring gear and shock bolts.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
There is a threadlocker http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/rm_threadlockers.htm

The red loctite withstands only to about 500 deg..

Product Description
Loctite 272 Red withstands temperatures to 450 Degrees F. This high-temp/High-strength threadlocker is formulated for heavy-duty applications. Prevents bolts up to 1-1/2" (36mm) from loosening due to shock severe vibration and heatstress. An exclusive formulation for newer engines and high performance applications where extreme temperature resistance is required. removable with heat and hand tools. Suggested applications: Camshaft sprocket bolts crankshaft bolts idler bearings press fit filler tubes transmission input and output shaft threads ring gear and shock bolts.
thanks dude...I'll check that cotronics stuff out. The red loctite won't cut it, not enough heat resistance. I also need some better hardware anyway.

Anyone have any ideas on hardware?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:10 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Spot weld. My mechanic builds race cars and he spot welds every bolts and nuts. He makes a "weld dot" on the joining surface of where the bolt and surface meet... <-I'm not sure if you undertand what I'm talking about... anyway.... They stay in place and it's not too difficult to undo them..

Last edited by leeboyNY; 03-26-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They actually make a nice stud socket that will drive them in tight and wont mess up the threads, thats what you need to tighten them with. Then use some copper nuts on there. They will hold it fine but will probably need to be replaced each time you take them off but they wont back the studs out if they are properly tightened in. Those studs are pretty easy to find at any place that only deals with fasteners. Probably wont find them at a generic hardware store though.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
Spot weld. My mechanic builds race cars and he spot welds every bolts and nuts. He makes a "weld dot" on the joining surface of where the bolt and surface meet... <-I'm not sure if you undertand what I'm talking about... anyway.... They stay in place and it's not too difficult to undo them..
I am very familiar with welding, and I'm not really interested in spot welding these on. The standard hardware works fine, I just don't know where to get it replaced.

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Altered
They actually make a nice stud socket that will drive them in tight and wont mess up the threads, thats what you need to tighten them with. Then use some copper nuts on there. They will hold it fine but will probably need to be replaced each time you take them off but they wont back the studs out if they are properly tightened in. Those studs are pretty easy to find at any place that only deals with fasteners. Probably wont find them at a generic hardware store though.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
I'll probably try a fasteners only place...thanks!

I have no issues with the studs. I can install and removed them just fine with two nuts tightened against each other. It's the nuts staying in place that is the problem.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
tig488

atpturbo.com

they sell the APS studs. 8mm and 10mm.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=FST
Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Blackbird CPV35

try nord lock lock washers

www.nord-lock.com
Old 03-28-2009, 02:46 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Blackbird CPV35
try nord lock lock washers

www.nord-lock.com
Those look really cool. We went a different route though and the motor is back in the car.

Thanks for all the advice guys!