Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

****** TTG35forT - Rev 2.0 ******

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 04:11 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the block modifications have been done for over three weeks now and we have been to the point where there has been "less that one days work left" since then. Their machinist has been mostly out of the shop due to medical issues, so the hoaning was supposed to be done by someone else and completed last Sat. There is no reason that the motor should not ship this week.......... We'll see if it does.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 03-31-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Terry - Just tell Sam that the motor ships this week or you will use your mod powers to delete a GTM shop thread every day the motor hasn't shipped. Either that motor ships or GTM just disappears thread by thread
I was kidding before, but you may want to give this some serious consideration now
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow things seem to be moving at a snails pace, i have been in your situation before it is frustrating. I hope it is worth the wait when you get it
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say, the closed deck looks sick.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
XKR

Wow Terry....thought you already had the motor and installed... But if it ships this week... You can still be ready for ZdayZ...

Last edited by XKR; 03-31-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
Wow Terry....thought you already had the motor and installed... But if it ships this week... You can still be ready for ZdayZ...
I'm hoping. I really want to make it this year. There is a lot I want to have done, though, and there is no way I can get it all completed in time. But all of it is not necessary.

I'll hold off on the underbody for now. Also, I was going to have my EVC, knock amp and turbo timer displays recessed into the dashboard as they look kind of hokey velcro'd into place. I do like their locations on the dash as they are easily viewable, but I want it to look cleaner.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I'm hoping. I really want to make it this year. There is a lot I want to have done, though, and there is no way I can get it all completed in time. But all of it is not necessary.

I'll hold off on the underbody for now. Also, I was going to have my EVC, knock amp and turbo timer displays recessed into the dashboard as they look kind of hokey velcro'd into place. I do like their locations on the dash as they are easily viewable, but I want it to look cleaner.
You can start that install now.. You don't have to wait for motor...I know you can have it all dine in 7 weeks!!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by XKR
You can start that install now.. You don't have to wait for motor...I know you can have it all dine in 7 weeks!!
I told Roger to get started on all the misc stuff a couple of months ago. I don't think he is going to move my car into the shop until he gets the motor.

Also, I get the feeling he is not to keen on cutting into the dashboard. There is wiring back there and whoever does it is going to have to be very, very careful.

On that note, is there anybody in So. Fla. someone can recommend to recess my HKS displays into the dash board? If so, let me know.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 03-31-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:42 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I signed up for iRacing in Jan. to get my rocks off until I get my car back together. It is actually pretty cool. The physics seem pretty realistic. Has anyone else tried it?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
IslandZavage

iRacing?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
iRacing?
Yes. It is a racing "simulation." They have both a road coarse and a circle track racing series. Here is the link: http://www.iracing.com

You race against other people via the Internet using fairly accurate simulations of real tracks and real cars. Also, you can run the tracks by yourself in testing.

They differentiate it from a game in that it is more life like than a game (the physics and handling characteristics - but the graphics are not in the same category as Dirt 2). Real tracks are very accurately mapped using laser mapping, and this data is used for the simulation. In the simulation you connect to the iRacing server via the Internet so that you can race against other people in real time or run by yourself.

Lucky for us here in Fla., they have Sebring and Homestead. For Nascar fans, they have Daytona too. Moroso (whatever it happens to be called now, is it Palm Beach International Raceway?) also is supposed to be added sometime in the near future I think. I thought iRacing had a post about that when I first signed up, but I haven't seen anything yet.

On some of the cars you can adjust your setup. For example, on the Spec Racer Ford you can adjust caster, camber, tire air pressure and rebound spring rates. I have been messing around with these and the resulting performance changes tend to accurately correspond to the setup changes.

I have been having fun with it. The real reason that I got it was to get practice on the tracks before the NASA events. I kind of got hooked and now I'm running all kinds of tracks I'll probably never take my real car too.

One thing that I happened to notice during the 12 hours of Sebring, Speed Channel used the iRacing simulation to give an overview of the track. I only noticed because I'm using iRacing, but nonetheless found it interesting.

On the downside, it is a monthly subscription, somewhere between $10 and $14 per month I think, depending on how long you sign up for. Also, you only get a base set of cars and tracks, and you have to buy any additional ones that you want at anywere from $11 - $14 each. Neither Homestead nor Sebring are in the base tracks, so I had to buy both of those.

Also, they don't have any 350Zs or G35s. I wanted a coupe with somewhere around the same hp/weight ratio that I'll be running with the new motor (hopefully 750 whp on race gas / Appx 3500 lbs.) The closest thing I could find was the Corvette C6R (another $11). It's handling characteristics are quite a bit different than the G35, but it works to get a good feel for the track. The simulation even has the bumps in turn 17 (which caused quite a few crashes during the 12 hours of Sebring).

In summary, iRacing isn't cheap, has decent graphics (good, but not the best), but feels more lifelike than any other racing game I have tried. Also, racing against real people in real time is pretty cool. Finally, I think it is valuable for getting experience on a particular track before actually going to that track, assuming that the track is available in the simulation.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 03-31-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

^^^

I have already started modifying my gaming gear - I couldn't help myself, it's in my blood.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
^^^

I have already started modifying my gaming gear - I couldn't help myself, it's in my blood.

I looked at it but, I see my wife leaving me if I get into iracing. When I was into Grand Trismo back in the day she used to get mad when she would go to work in the morning, I was playing GT and when she got home from work I would still be sitting in my chair in my underwear playing GT it does look like a good time though
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

I just got off of the phone with Sam. The motor is shiping today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it's time to get this thing back together. I hope I can make the airstrip event...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
IslandZavage

Congrats bro.......... im right behind you. Not sure i'll be making the Airstrip deadline though ( i keep adding more things too the list).
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
GreenGoblin

Awesome Terry!!! I can't wait. I too am trying to rally to get my car done for Zdays not the air strip but the whole event...
Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Awesome Terry!!! I can't wait. I too am trying to rally to get my car done for Zdays not the air strip but the whole event...
I have a lot of aluminum parts I have been polishing. I stopped working on them a while back since I was still waiting for the motor. Now I will start back up on that. I have a lot more motivation now that it looks like things are finally coming together.

On another note, does anyone have a 5 point racing harness setup in a G that still allows use of the back seats? I have heard that you do not want to bolt the back side of the harness to the floor, and I know that some people run a bar behind the front seats from one side of the car to the other, but that blocks off the rear seat. I need to use the rear seat for my youngest.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have always wondered why someone cannot engineer roll cages with removable elements that still provide ample safety for roll overs and for seat harnesses but don't require helmets for daily driving and allow full access to rear seats, etc. Forgive for linking to a honda forum, but this is the idea: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1348914

Here is something else I have looked into:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how...rness-bar.html

Since we have rear seats, we can put 'em to use, and be DOT legal: http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html. I'm not sure how much work would be involved in getting it to work with our cars. Might click right in, or not...

Last edited by rcdash; 04-08-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by rcdash
I have always wondered why someone cannot engineer roll cages with removable elements that still provide ample safety for roll overs and for seat harnesses but don't require helmets for daily driving and allow full access to rear seats, etc. Forgive for linking to a honda forum, but this is the idea: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1348914

Here is something else I have looked into:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how...rness-bar.html
Thank you Raj. That thread had a link to Chris Alston's Chassisworks. They make brackets that allow parts of the roll cage to be removed. Here is the description:

"Designed for a 1-3/4 x .134" wall back brace bar tube. This kit allows a roll cage or roll bar back brace to be removed. The kit uses a weld clevis and weld tab on each end of the tube. Simply remove the bolts on both sides and the bar can be removed making access to the rear seat easy. Kit includes all parts to complete one back brace bar." That looks like exactly what I need. It's $85.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good you guys figure out the cage, and I can just copy, as I am sure I wont pass tech after 1 pass down the strip

Quick Reply: ****** TTG35forT - Rev 2.0 ******