Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI or bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

on the car altogether. And then, you'll need a quad or something fast for the off-roading too.

Don't forget that...
Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADMAN
on the car altogether. And then, you'll need a quad or something fast for the off-roading too.

Don't forget that...
I used to have a warrior but I sold it about 2 months ago. Before that I had a bored out blaster which was alright.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my bike and I wouldnt trade it for my Z, but I also love my car and I wouldnt trade it for my bike. I chose the bike instead of going FI, but its only a temporary thing until I save the money again. I dont think I could choose one or the other. They are completly different types of fun.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM
MOTOWIPEOUT Z

I have both but I must say it is much harder to eat french fries @ 70mph on a motorcycle.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Everybodywildou

Haha I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by doug
you could also hit a wall on a bike and fly off the bike and get some scrapes.. you hit a wall with an FI'd Z you're more than likely not flying over the wall.. Jason Williams formerly of Duke and the Chicago Bulls hit a tree with his R6.. he is still alive to talk about it.. not many people hit tree's with their cars and still talk about it

I usually keep my mouth shut in motorcycle debates because they're just like religion and politics, but this is the WORST argument EVER.

Also, I'm having this same debate at the moment. I chose to go with FI first, just based on narrowing my focus.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FineWine
I usually keep my mouth shut in motorcycle debates because they're just like religion and politics, but this is the WORST argument EVER.

Also, I'm having this same debate at the moment. I chose to go with FI first, just based on narrowing my focus.
if you're going to dispute it.. explain why it makes no sense
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 AM
FineWine

if you're going to dispute it.. explain why it makes no sense
I'd rather it not turn into a flame war, so I'll decline. I hate the OMG YOURE GURANTEED TO DIE IF YOU GET ON A BIKE! statements, too, so don't think I'm one of those. I'll juts say that giving evidence of one person surviving slamming into a tree on a motorcycle and surviving as proof that it's safer to slam into a tree on a motorcycle than a car, Or that slamming into a wall and flipping over it is objectively safer than slamming into it and being restrained by a seatbelt and airbags is seriously flawed logic.

True Story: My friend's father was struck by lightining twice, and survived both times with no long-term injuries. I still wouldn't recommend sticking your ********* in a lightbulb socket.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM
FineWine

back to this comment: If it helps any, the reason I chose to stick with FI first is because I'm a little A.D.D. when it comes toys. If I got the bike first, I'd want to mod it too. It'd turn into "Let me just get this exhaust and THEN I'll save up for the turbos!". Twins is going to be the most expensive thing I'll be putting into my car, so when that's out of the way, my mind will be more free to roam.

Plus, you have less options for twins than you do for bikes... and great deals on twins come around less often than great deals on bikes
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
doug

I'd rather it not turn into a flame war, so I'll decline. I hate the OMG YOURE GURANTEED TO DIE IF YOU GET ON A BIKE! statements, too, so don't think I'm one of those. I'll juts say that giving evidence of one person surviving slamming into a tree on a motorcycle and surviving as proof that it's safer to slam into a tree on a motorcycle than a car, Or that slamming into a wall and flipping over it is objectively safer than slamming into it and being restrained by a seatbelt and airbags is seriously flawed logic.

True Story: My friend's father was struck by lightining twice, and survived both times with no long-term injuries. I still wouldn't recommend sticking your ********* in a lightbulb socket.
we are men in this forum.. we don't have flame wars.. we have discussions.. your opinion is your opinion.. mine is mine.. if its not a proven fact then i can't tell you that you're wrong.. with that being said.

I wasn't trying to prove that one was safer than the other, but the comment was made about car accidents vs bike accidents, however the point i was trying to prove is that there are two instances where a bike person could walk away alive and a car person would be Dead on the spot and there are alot of cases every year where people have walked away from totaled bikes where in a car they would be dead..
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
doug

back to this comment: If it helps any, the reason I chose to stick with FI first is because I'm a little A.D.D. when it comes toys. If I got the bike first, I'd want to mod it too. It'd turn into "Let me just get this exhaust and THEN I'll save up for the turbos!". Twins is going to be the most expensive thing I'll be putting into my car, so when that's out of the way, my mind will be more free to roam.

Plus, you have less options for twins than you do for bikes... and great deals on twins come around less often than great deals on bikes
being a person with a 550+whp Z and a 180whp bike.. let me tell you that if you can't afford both, there will be no if and when. Once you go FI on your car.. the majority of your 'spare' money will be on maintenance or complimenting mods.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
FineWine

being a person with a 550+whp Z and a 180whp bike.. let me tell you that if you can't afford both, there will be no if and when. Once you go FI on your car.. the majority of your 'spare' money will be on maintenance or complimenting mods.

Affording isn't the same thing as budgeting, which is my issue. If I need to fix something or buy something while saving up for my bike, then i'll delay the bike. The essense of picking one

Last edited by FineWine; 05-05-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:36 PM
gs400speed23

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

damn i think anyone that has both a bike and a z is BALLER! i wish i could do that! damn college is holding me BACK! i bet most of you guys in here have a career or something like it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM
MOTOWIPEOUT Z

Originally Posted by gs400speed23
damn i think anyone that has both a bike and a z is BALLER! i wish i could do that! damn college is holding me BACK! i bet most of you guys in here have a career or something like it.
Yes, just stay the coarse and you'll do fine.

I couldn't even afford a bike when I was in college. Since I've graduated I've been through to many bikes to count, even raced (roadracing, motocross and crosscountry) for a bit. The Z is my first crack at modding a car, it has been a learning experience for sure (see my sig) but it all seems to be falling into place now.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

how about 10 women at the same time?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
doug

Originally Posted by gs400speed23
i didn't buy my first car till i was 2 years out of college.. and that was a 1995 Geo Prism.. don't worry.. you will get there in time.. anyone on this board who has FI and a Bike and still in college isn't doing it all themselves.. unless they are 25+ and still in college
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM
doug

Affording isn't the same thing as budgeting, which is my issue. If I need to fix something or buy something while saving up for my bike, then i'll delay the bike. The essense of picking one
its a revolving door.. you're not going to do FI and its done.. trust me when i tell you.. if you need to save up for something in additon to FI or even save up for a situation in case something goes wrong.. its not happening or is a very poor financial idea
Old 05-05-2009, 04:22 PM
FineWine

if you need to save up for something in additon to FI or even save up for a situation in case something goes wrong.. its not happening or is a very poor financial idea
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but your take on the financials of it is shortsighted.

I bought a house knowing I was going to do a ton of work. I also bought a car, knowing I'm going to mod it. Both had a down payment, of course. I couldn't afford the down payment to buy them both at the same time, but I can afford the cost of ownership of both (mortgage, loan, regular maintenance, etc) and then some. I had to choose which one I wanted to buy first. Just like FI vs Bike. In this case, I chose the car, saved up my money, then put money down on my house.

I constantly juggle buying something for my house, or buying something for my cars (I've owned many). I can either save up for the refrigerator I want and the wheels I want at the same time, or I can get one first, then the other.

Again, because I have a budget for "toys money".

you're not going to do FI and its done..
I ignored this part.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 PM
FineWine

i didn't buy my first car till i was 2 years out of college.. and that was a 1995 Geo Prism.. don't worry.. you will get there in time.. anyone on this board who has FI and a Bike and still in college isn't doing it all themselves.. unless they are 25+ and still in college

+1 on this. Is there a salute smiley?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
doug

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but your take on the financials of it is shortsighted.

I bought a house knowing I was going to do a ton of work. I also bought a car, knowing I'm going to mod it. Both had a down payment, of course. I couldn't afford the down payment to buy them both at the same time, but I can afford the cost of ownership of both (mortgage, loan, regular maintenance, etc) and then some. I had to choose which one I wanted to buy first. Just like FI vs Bike. In this case, I chose the car, saved up my money, then put money down on my house.

I constantly juggle buying something for my house, or buying something for my cars (I've owned many). I can either save up for the refrigerator I want and the wheels I want at the same time, or I can get one first, then the other.

Again, because I have a budget for "toys money".

you seem to have it all figured out, it kind of reminds me of everytime my parents had told me something and i always had an answer, sooner or later they stopped arguing with me and let me learned on my own.. so with that.. i'm going to step back from this conversation and wish you the best with your budget

Quick Reply: FI or bike?