Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Vortech 2.87 setup & dyno numbers =)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marra23
OK, so how long have you been running this impeller. Reliability was in question in that link i posted. if you do have comparisons before/after.....would be great.
Also, my car was the before and after testing that they have on their website. Same day, same dyno, same pulley and same fuel/timing map results:

Anyways, sorry to OT VAS.

Congrats on getting your blower back finally!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM
marra23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
Also, my car was the before and after testing that they have on their website. Same day, same dyno, same pulley and same fuel/timing map results:

Anyways, sorry to OT VAS.

Congrats on getting your blower back finally!
thanx, pm ok by you.

sorry OP for jacking thread.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

not a problem!..

guys... all the belts are tight, vaccum lines are tight and in place.. double checked everything... STILL 5 psi... son of a *****...i check the intercooler couplers and everything else, there all tight!.. FI is not giving me a headeache.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Quamen

I would suggest that you triple check the hose coupler that is on the volute. I have had it happen where it is tight but it is just a bit to far back on the taper and it acts like a boost limiter and allows air to pass at a certain pressure.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quamen
I would suggest that you triple check the hose coupler that is on the volute. I have had it happen where it is tight but it is just a bit to far back on the taper and it acts like a boost limiter and allows air to pass at a certain pressure.
which one? I got so lostt lol sorry
Old 07-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
which one? I got so lostt lol sorry
Check the hose coupler that is attached to the discharge of the supercharger. The problem your experiencing is identical to one we experienced on our Porsche. We checked and checked and were unable to find a loose hose coupler or anything. We only found it on the dyno when it would finally allow air to pass in between the coupler and the supercharger volute at 8psi under load.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats a HUGE boost leak. it shouldnt be hard to pin that down.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Guys... ... Still nothing!! I'm done for today! Still can't go past 5 psi . Had problems with the belt popping out of the main pulley, it would just come off 1rib. Figured that one now the belts are rock solid. Still can't go past 5 psi!! Aghhh tomorrows another day, iam running out of options!! ( I need a beer )
Old 07-13-2009, 05:49 PM
str8dum1

you didnt mess with you BPV valve did you? this was a vortech rebuild or a home job? Sounds like a home job, so maybe it wasnt done properly? leaking seals would cause blowby

you also mentioned something about needing 2 people to tighten the cog belt? That is VERY incorrect. Cog belts just have to be snug, but never tight! You should be able to push your serp belt over about 1/4 of the way at proper tension as well.

Last edited by str8dum1; 07-13-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah u can do the cog belt, mine was squeaking one day so i did it in a parking lot in like 2 mns..just loosen it up, hold down on it and tighten it while pushing down a little..it doesnt need to be tight....the serp. belt needs to be tight
Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
Guys... ... Still nothing!! I'm done for today! Still can't go past 5 psi . Had problems with the belt popping out of the main pulley, it would just come off 1rib. Figured that one now the belts are rock solid. Still can't go past 5 psi!! Aghhh tomorrows another day, iam running out of options!! ( I need a beer )
sounds like 2 things could be wrong with this statement:

1.) belt is so loose that it is jumping off the pulley.

2.) the pulleys arent' aligned properly putting a sideforce on the belt and causing it to come off track.

something is really wrong if that belt comes off the pulley. Mine are tight that a 10 foot pry bar would not get that belt to come out of the ribs.

mine was only boosting to 7psi and i tightened the belts down and instantly got 12 psi. No belt squeel at all, but it was still slipping.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
you didnt mess with you BPV valve did you? this was a vortech rebuild or a home job? Sounds like a home job, so maybe it wasnt done properly? leaking seals would cause blowby

you also mentioned something about needing 2 people to tighten the cog belt? That is VERY incorrect. Cog belts just have to be snug, but never tight! You should be able to push your serp belt over about 1/4 of the way at proper tension as well.
no I havnt messed with the BPV. should I?.. I mean I havnt touched it since I first put the blower in 4K miles ago. 7 threads on the bpv, everything is good on that side..

Yes I did the rebuild myself. I mean everything looks rock solid, idk if youve ever done a blower before but it is pretty straight forward, ya know. everything pressed down the way it should be and it sounds normal to me. The seals are holding up fine, no oil or anything.

Originally Posted by binder
sounds like 2 things could be wrong with this statement:

1.) belt is so loose that it is jumping off the pulley.

2.) the pulleys arent' aligned properly putting a sideforce on the belt and causing it to come off track.

something is really wrong if that belt comes off the pulley. Mine are tight that a 10 foot pry bar would not get that belt to come out of the ribs.

mine was only boosting to 7psi and i tightened the belts down and instantly got 12 psi. No belt squeel at all, but it was still slipping.
hmm... seems like tomorrow iam going to tighten the belts more. They fell SO! hard though.

The problem that I had with my belt coming off is that.. When I changed to the new belt setup, I must of flipped the bottom pulley on the bracket, so it was causing the belt to jump of one rib. 5 hrs later I figured it out. Flipped it, did a quick run. everything was fine.

Im gonna play with the belts a little tomorrow we will see!. Ill update tomorrow or today for that matter its already 1am.

anyways.. thanks for the tips fellas, off to bed.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Try boost leak test.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 AM
binder

oooo, so you already fixed that belt alignment issue.

I would say go ahead and try tightening the belt. Do like 1/2 a rotation on the tensioner and then go do a run and see if you get more boost. Like Tim told me when i was getting belt slip "the belts will feel tight like a guitar string".

If you grab in the middle of the longest portion of your belt and then twist it, it should only twist about 90 degrees or slightly more. if you can physically twist the belt past 90 degrees then you need to tighten it. It's hard on the bearings having it tight, but that's life.

Also, i'm using a gates belt, not the goodyear.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

yeah im going to do a run now... Iam using gates belt as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 AM
tylerxfire

dont tighten that cog belt though, there should be some play in it..u will know if its loose cause it will squeal a little after it gets warm..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
str8dum1

a cog belt will never squeal. it will break teeth. You mean serp belt
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
binder

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
dont tighten that cog belt though, there should be some play in it..u will know if its loose cause it will squeal a little after it gets warm..
if you're talking about the serp belt that's not entirely true. I was only boosting to 7psi from a loose belt and i had not one ounce of squeel. I tightened it up and instantly was boosting at 12psi.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by str8dum1
a cog belt will never squeal. it will break teeth. You mean serp belt
wrong my friend, a cog belt will squeal a little, after leaving my tuning session at aam a while ago mine was making a little squeal noise at idle, i spit on it and went away so i knew it was that and tightened it up a little and never again..once again this was the cog belt and u dont want the cog belt too tight or u will tear the belt up and shread teeth...and this was only after it was warm
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by binder
if you're talking about the serp belt that's not entirely true. I was only boosting to 7psi from a loose belt and i had not one ounce of squeel. I tightened it up and instantly was boosting at 12psi.
yeah man like i said thats the serp. belt that needs to be tightened to make all your boost, not the cog belt..i too have lost boost to a tight serp. belt so (i thought) and tightened it up more and gained my boost back

Quick Reply: My Vortech 2.87 setup & dyno numbers =)