Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Vortech 2.87 setup & dyno numbers =)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went for a ride..

I re did my belt, changed it to the old style, re checked my couplers, tighten all the clamps, I went for a ride... I saw 8 psi.. and then I did a WOT run in 3rd gear to 6500.. 5 psi again... It goes to 5 psi fast!!! but then it gets harder to build boost.

So mad right nowww.. ughh
Old 07-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Now that sounds like you are not pushing enough. Could you post your data logs?

Did you keep push all the way to floor. Mine build slow after 5psi, but it goes up 10~11 psi with my v3.

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
Well I went for a ride..

I re did my belt, changed it to the old style, re checked my couplers, tighten all the clamps, I went for a ride... I saw 8 psi.. and then I did a WOT run in 3rd gear to 6500.. 5 psi again... It goes to 5 psi fast!!! but then it gets harder to build boost.

So mad right nowww.. ughh
Old 07-14-2009, 04:36 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Now that sounds like you are not pushing enough. Could you post your data logs?

Did you keep push all the way to floor. Mine build slow after 5psi, but it goes up 10~11 psi with my v3.
yeah im pretty sure my foot was down to the metal lol.. ill try again.. but idkk
like in 3rd gear as the RPM was climing up to 6000.. I took a quick glance at the boost gauge and it was at 5-6 psi... I get full traction in 2nd gear!! from 3000-6500.. I want to get that " oh **** " face again lol..

So tiredd!!

ill do my logs tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your pulley bushing/bearing might have been squealing but i guarantee it wasnt the belt. squeal is from the rubber slipping on the pulley surface. That impossible to do with a toothed cog belt.
But since you spit on it, it must be true

either way, the OP needs to do a 100% TPS pull all the way to redline and log it. That will make it 100% clear what is going on.

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
wrong my friend, a cog belt will squeal a little, after leaving my tuning session at aam a while ago mine was making a little squeal noise at idle, i spit on it and went away so i knew it was that and tightened it up a little and never again..once again this was the cog belt and u dont want the cog belt too tight or u will tear the belt up and shread teeth...and this was only after it was warm
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8dum1
your pulley bushing/bearing might have been squealing but i guarantee it wasnt the belt. squeal is from the rubber slipping on the pulley surface. That impossible to do with a toothed cog belt.

either way, the OP needs to do a 100% TPS pull all the way to redline and log it. That will make it 100% clear what is going on.

no need to even debate this, im telling u it happened, i know the belt squeak sound from the serp. belt that some have on their cold start or if its too loose, its not the same, it was not a constant squealing sound it was a little mouse squeak and not constant ..squeak...squeak...squeak...squeak..idk i spit on the belt as it was running and it stopped so i loosened it, pushed down on it a little and tightened it back up and problem solved.

either way thats not the op's problem or what would cause a loss in boost, and im sure he is all the way to the floor doing these readings and for some reason its just not making any more than 5psi. its gotta be a boost leak, or a problem with the assembly of the blower while repairing..

with my 3.12 pulley i see 5 psi pretty much instantly if i hit it from like a 3k rpm roll or somethin in any gear and climb to 9 psi pretty steady and fast..if its cold out i see 10psi flicker at redline on the gauge and just want the 2.87 even more, lol..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm.....i'd like to see these logs too.

You got 7psi first then you lost it so that makes me think it can't be a boost leak UNLESS something shifted around when you were getting on it and a pipe came loose.

You run a vortech right? get a scrader valve (tire valve) and a 2" pvc pipe end cap. Put the valve in the cap then put that cap inside the first coupler coming off the supercharger. use an air compressor and put 20psi in it and listen for leaks. If you can get your hoses to hold then you can rule out that. Then it would be a s/c leak or a belt slip. We should be able to see belt slip on a log though.

so you tightened the belt 1/2 a turn then you managed 7psi for a while? give it another 1/2 turn and see what that does
Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by binder
hmm.....i'd like to see these logs too.

You got 7psi first then you lost it so that makes me think it can't be a boost leak UNLESS something shifted around when you were getting on it and a pipe came loose.

You run a vortech right? get a scrader valve (tire valve) and a 2" pvc pipe end cap. Put the valve in the cap then put that cap inside the first coupler coming off the supercharger. use an air compressor and put 20psi in it and listen for leaks. If you can get your hoses to hold then you can rule out that. Then it would be a s/c leak or a belt slip. We should be able to see belt slip on a log though.

so you tightened the belt 1/2 a turn then you managed 7psi for a while? give it another 1/2 turn and see what that does
I did another run now.. yes i know 12:30 am here.. in 3rd gear.. near redline at 6400 I was seeing 8. Iam going to try and figure out how to see the logs tomorrow and such and I will post them here...

is that the same way as another thread on here? about a DIY boost leak test? Doesnt that mean that I gotta take out the blower though?

As Tyler said... i mean it definitely doesn't climb to 9 or even 11-12 like he said.. it hits 5 fast, yes, but then it has trouble going past that.. it goes to like 8 slowly near 6400 and then stops... gotta do another recheck tomorrow of everything... going to do the logs so you guys can take a look, boost leak test.. and worst case which I DONT wanna do is take the blower out and then apart again. fak my life lol
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
binder

to do that leak test you don't need to take the blower out. you just move the pipes around.

so now you're at 8psi and you've slowly tightened the belt. Do another 1/2 a turn tighten on the belt again and run again.

what pulley are you using? are you at a 2.87?

what do you have to datalog stuff?

also, electric boost gauges have error rate. They can even be up to a few psi off.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

yeah im pretty sure my foot was down to the metal lol.. ill try again.. but idkk
like in 3rd gear as the RPM was climing up to 6000.. I took a quick glance at the boost gauge and it was at 5-6 psi... I get full traction in 2nd gear!! from 3000-6500.. I want to get that " oh **** " face again lol..

So tiredd!!

ill do my logs tomorrow.
If you did catch 8 psi before, you will availble to see it again. That is why i " think " you didn't push all the way. It feels a lot faster than before, so 'might' you just let out the gas pedal little bit at high speed. I might be wrong.

Like i mention it earlier, if you think belt is tight enough then leave it like that for now. And try boost leak test.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

yes, but then it has trouble going past that.. it goes to like 8 slowly near 6400 and then stops...
What rpms did you floor it?
Old 07-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by binder
to do that leak test you don't need to take the blower out. you just move the pipes around.

so now you're at 8psi and you've slowly tightened the belt. Do another 1/2 a turn tighten on the belt again and run again.

what pulley are you using? are you at a 2.87?

what do you have to datalog stuff?

also, electric boost gauges have error rate. They can even be up to a few psi off.
2.87/utec check his first post.

How boost gauge can be off? They works by pressure.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by str8dum1

Do agree.
I also never hear cog belt makes noise. But i do know, my pulley makes noise.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

What rpms did you floor it?
idk around 3500-4000?.. why does it matter though? shouldnt it still be hitting 11-12 psi at whatever RPM iam at?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

im gonna make a quick run now.. Iam going to record it. Ill post video up
Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 AM
frankie945

Data Log a 3rd gear WOT pull 2800rpms to redline. That will tell you if you have belt slip or a leak. When I had a utec I liked to use jeffsoftware UTI it works great and is more safe to log by yourself. If you have problems reading the logs just post them up.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by frankie945
Data Log a 3rd gear WOT pull 2800rpms to redline. That will tell you if you have belt slip or a leak. When I had a utec I liked to use jeffsoftware UTI it works great and is more safe to log by yourself. If you have problems reading the logs just post them up.
I have to read the utec manual on how to do the logs and stuff.

what is the jeffsoftware UTI? is it something I can download and use ? or?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:43 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

idk around 3500-4000?.. why does it matter though? shouldnt it still be hitting 11-12 psi at whatever RPM iam at?
No, your boost will build as your RPM's go up. You should be at max boost somewhere around 6000 RPM's.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 AM
binder

2.87/utec check his first post.

How boost gauge can be off? They works by pressure.
ah, i missed that in the first post. I thought i saw somewhere he had a 2.87 but i forgot.

Boost gauges can be off just in the way they are calibrated. Manual gauges are usually pretty close but electronic gauges can be way off. The sending unit can be calibrated off or the gauge can be calibrated slightly off and then there can be variances in voltage outputs at the sensor which would change what you see on the gauge. There is always an error rate.

On my SS box and on my Innovate aux box i'm logging up to 12psi and my Defi boost/vac gauge has never once been over 11psi. It's just slightly off so it's only a reference. I think when I log flat 0 psi off of the gauge i'm around .48-.5 psi on my Innovate logger. Error gets bigger with bigger numbers.

You will only see 11psi when you are at redline. So around 6500 rpms you'll get 11psi. Our superchargers put out a linear boost increase at WOT. It won't be at full boost until you are at redline. If you stop at like 5500rpms you probalby are only seeing 8psi.

EDIT: just checked one of my logs and i'm at 5300rpm when i hit 8psi at WOT.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Go to google, and put UTI utec. Then you will see it

I have to read the utec manual on how to do the logs and stuff.

what is the jeffsoftware UTI? is it something I can download and use ? or?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by 05Z33
No, your boost will build as your RPM's go up. You should be at max boost somewhere around 6000 RPM's.
+1,

Example, You will never hit max boost if you floor it at 5k rpms. Look at your dyno sheet has boost graph, and check what rpms it starts build boost.

Quick Reply: My Vortech 2.87 setup & dyno numbers =)