Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown Vortech, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 AM
terps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm masive oil starvation is at "fault" again, CRAZY. not a fan and this is comming from someone who was a client of daves in the past, no more. my car had constant issues that only got resolved when the car left that shop. i bite my tonge prior but after my last visit im done with that shop. he should stop throwing bbq and rafting trips, get off that computer and take care of his customers. Lets call a spade a spade,

GL op, it will be an uphill battle to say the least

Last edited by terps; 08-20-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by terps
hmmm masive oil starvation is at "fault" again, CRAZY. not a fan and this is comming from someone who was a client of daves in the past, no more. my car had constant issues that only got resolved when the car left that shop. i bite my tonge prior but after my last visit im done with that shop. he should stop throwing bbq and rafting trips, get off that computer and take care of his customers. Lets call a spade a spade,

GL op, it will be an uphill battle to say the least

You know what all this reminds me of.....When i was the first idiot to buy one of the first 3rd gen RX7 R1......That car went back to the dealer over 40 times....they tried everything in the book not to cover the repairs....or they would not fix it... but tell me its working now until the motor failed......I dragged their azzes to court...in the end they gave me a new car and lawyers fees

I took the time to read the rules in the warranty and all the PM's that were sent to me for and against !!...I recieved 4 PM's from the OP's friends saying that this guy never took his car to the track...as the rules stated....They also said that the OP did not do any of the work on the car...all work was done at the shop offering this warranty.

OP states that there was a fuel leak...he contacted shop involved and "HE" had to fix this problem....Could there have been another leak...Dont matter...all work was done at this ONE shop which handed the op a warranty...That word Warranty keeps coming up

A member asked if this is just a gimmick to attract customers...We will see.

OP....Keep us updated.

Last edited by XKR; 08-20-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dj
Just to be clear, nobody denied the motor had little oil left in it when it failed. The problem is that we checked it 8 days and again 7 days before and it had an acceptable amount of oil in it.

OP & DJ - if you dont deny that the car went to Dave's shop low on oil than why the fuss?

It is obvious something in the motor went catastrophically wrong, the motor lost oil, and now its done. Dave put on the kit Im assuming and tuned it, how could that cause the 5qt loss? If you had been driving and experienced detonation or a tuning related issue and then experienced a problem I could understand the frustration with the warranty denial but I see this is an unfortunate end to your motor for reasons unknown. Mechanical things fail (and at no fault of the OP's he seemed to check his oil very regularly), and it is possible something leaked/failed that had nothing to do with the FI install/tune, thus eliminating Dave from his obligation.

Also how do you not HEAR the motor even 1qt low? I can hear my motor when it's low on oil, being 5qt's low that $hit prolly ticked and clunked around the block.

Trust me when I tell you I know what it is like to go through engine/car issues, my own stock block FI setup lasted 3000 miles, and a built setup costing $$$$$ only going 9000 miles.

What I posted above is only my opinion and not meant to diss anyone, if it did then change your tampon and get over it.

Feel free to PM me for any advice/help/info. Good luck with this!!

Last edited by Alberto; 08-20-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zman1982
This kinda **** just solidifies why I'm goin to Hal@IP when I get home. After the earlier drama that is still ongoing and now this...WOW is all I can say
That would be a wise decision.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM
psychoballistic

Sorry to hear about this OP.

I would give a third party a chance to do a tear down to see if indeed the warranty is worth being denied. I would give Ray at PFS a call, he's right in your area and very easy to work with.

If you need a new motor there's lots of places on here to grab one, Forged Performance and Import Parts Pro have built shortblocks for pretty good deals just to name a couple, and they stand behind their work.

Good luck with everything man.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Alberto
OP & DJ - if you dont deny that the car went to Dave's shop low on oil than why the fuss?

It is obvious something in the motor went catastrophically wrong, the motor lost oil, and now its done. Dave put on the kit Im assuming and tuned it, how could that cause the 5qt loss? If you had been driving and experienced detonation or a tuning related issue and then experienced a problem I could understand the frustration with the warranty denial but I see this is an unfortunate end to your motor for reasons unknown. Mechanical things fail (and at no fault of the OP's he seemed to check his oil very regularly), and it is possible something leaked/failed that had nothing to do with the FI install/tune, thus eliminating Dave from his obligation.

Also how do you not HEAR the motor even 1qt low? I can hear my motor when it's low on oil, being 5qt's low that $hit prolly ticked and clunked around the block.

Trust me when I tell you I know what it is like to go through engine/car issues, my own stock block FI setup lasted 3000 miles, and a built setup costing $$$$$ only going 9000 miles.

What I posted above is only my opinion and not meant to diss anyone, if it did then change your tampon and get over it.

Feel free to PM me for any advice/help/info. Good luck with this!!

Tampon changed...PM sent
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Good question. I also wondered this but then remembered he had a T-trim with 2.87 pulley. Over the whine, bypass valve whoosh, and rattle of the t-trim's gears at idle it would be fairly easy to miss noises both at idle and at speed. Trust me, this thing was focking louder than anything I've ever heard both at idle and especially at part throttle.

Myself and another forum member are witness to the fact his engine was running perfectly with no such abnormal sounds on the same day of the blowup, so trust me it must have happened very quickly when it did.

Last edited by djamps; 08-20-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:00 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by alberto
If you had been driving and experienced detonation or a tuning related issue and then experienced a problem I could understand the frustration with the warranty denial but I see this is an unfortunate end to your motor for reasons unknown.
There were issues, several, that were ALL immediately brought up to dave. They range from drivability issues (loss of power under boost), flashing check engine light, a fuel leak, and the fact that the engine appeared approx 0.5 - 1qt lower than normal on than dipstick. All of this occured within 1-2 weeks before D-day. At no point did dave tell him to stop driving it or to bring it to the shop.

In fact, Tech couldn't make an immediate appointment when he called for the inspection of the check engine light, oil change and test pipe install only days before D-day. Dave was too booked up to get to it right away.

It might sound ironic but I am not sh1tting you guys. The test pipes were sitting in the passenger seat awaiting his checkup/install appt.

Last edited by djamps; 08-20-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Floridaboy1605

OP were u monitoing ur oil pressure gauge at all times??
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
jpc350

Originally Posted by djamps
Good question. I also wondered this but then remembered he had a T-trim with 2.87 pulley. Over the whine, bypass valve whoosh, and rattle of the t-trim's gears at idle it would be fairly easy to miss noises both at idle and at speed. Trust me, this thing was focking louder than anything I've ever heard both at idle and especially at part throttle.

Myself and another forum member are witness to the fact his engine was running perfectly with no such abnormal sounds on the same day of the blowup, so trust me it must have happened very quickly when it did.
Intreresting that this happened with a T-trim and a 2.87 pulley. Another poster here had F.T. put in a T-trim and 2.87 pulley and his ride went south also...Poster told me his motor blew and he took it to Ray at PFS and he detemined that too much timing was removed...Poster for whatever reason did not want to bring this up to the forum??
Old 08-20-2009, 07:44 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Floridaboy1605
OP were u monitoing ur oil pressure gauge at all times??
G's don't have oil pressure gauge. Dave didn't insist on one nor install any gauges for that matter.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by djamps
Even how much SC is loud, if it had very low oil in block, I'm sure it will sounds awful. Ttrim was new? Have you guys check other area? It has been few weeks...( Like blower or IC pipe). I didn't know op had
T trim and 2.87 pulley...suprised me that tuner gave him warranty on that setup.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Floridaboy1605

So did u check the charger itself.. If u were that low on oil and the motor went the chager would prob have followed suit!! Was the car smoking at all days prior to this?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Floridaboy1605
So did u check the charger itself.. If u were that low on oil and the motor went the chager would prob have followed suit!! Was the car smoking at all days prior to this?
Being technically minded myself I can only assume the charger is blown (as well as the crank/heads a complete loss) as well.

There was no smoke or abnormal noise the same day of the blowup nor at any point before.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure Dave will chime in, or call the OP.... That needs to be done....
Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Floridaboy1605

Well it didn't burn the oil up then so it had to be leaking somewhere.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Im sure Dave will chime in, or call the OP.... That needs to be done....
I hope so Jay
Old 08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

I know the OP said that he never took the car to the track but..

are you 100% sure that all those 5 qts of oil were loss due to the engine? ( internal wise )... and not a leak somewhere? I say this because when my vortech went bad, ( blew the output shaft bearing.. which then destroyed the seal ) I lost 3 qts of oil in 2 days!. Luckly nothing happened, as I check for leaks and oil everyday...

The OP said that they checked the oil 7 days before it blew... within those 7 days a lot can happen.. like I said i lost 3 qts in 2-3 days...

Maybe the OP cleared this and I missed it so correct me if im wrong
Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, this was a T-trim on a 2.87 pulley? That doesnt even make sense that Dave offered a warranty. Is says specifically no tunes over 9 psi or over 390DD

So Dave voided his own warranty as soon as the car left his hands!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
djamps

Originally Posted by Vas@Extended
I know the OP said that he never took the car to the track but..

are you 100% sure that all those 5 qts of oil were loss due to the engine? ( internal wise )... and not a leak somewhere? I say this because when my vortech went bad, ( blew the output shaft bearing.. which then destroyed the seal ) I lost 3 qts of oil in 2 days!. Luckly nothing happened, as I check for leaks and oil everyday...
Good call, during our dinner conversation last night Tech told me that when he asked Dave if there was oil in the intercooler (as per question on this forum) Dave replied that he did not check to see.

Wait, this was a T-trim on a 2.87 pulley? That doesnt even make sense that Dave offered a warranty. Is says specifically no tunes over 9 psi or over 390DD

Last edited by djamps; 08-20-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Blown Vortech, please help