Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New winter new turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Your starting to weld like a robot nice work for sure those are great some of the prettiest hand welds I have ever seen!!
Thanks Gord, I have never worked with this IGBT inverter welders until I got this one. Once you learn how all the settings work, you can really get an awesome bead.

I clean all my welds with a stainless wire brush too. This is what it looks like before cleaning:

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-10-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 PM
ekelly36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work... Any idea when the HR kit will be available?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ekelly36
Nice work... Any idea when the HR kit will be available?
I need a donor car, and have not been able to get one so far.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any update on the kits you have sold?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by str8dum1
any update on the kits you have sold?
The first one has not been installed yet. Second one is being shipped out (to Vas) next week, and I think that will be installed rather quickly.

Many have requested pricing and kit details, but no deposits.

I am just trying to stock up on a ton of stuff right now. I received a few BOV's and wastegates from IP recently, and will be ordering a few turbos and scavenge pumps in the near future. Hope to have 4 kits ready to ship soon; at that point I can maybe start a group buy. If it sells out, I will use the profit to invest in more parts for more kits.

It is a ton of money out of my pocket so it takes a bit of time.

I have been DD my car for a while now, and have put about 3500 miles on the 402whp tune without a single issue. My route to work is 90% highway, and I open it up frequently. Car feels very strong.

I have built jigs for all the exhaust sections now, and have built 3 sets of pipes on the jigs. I have removed my kit and test fitted all 3 sets of pipes, just to make sure they are 100%, and they are a perfect fit. The trick is the V-band alignment, but I have that nailed down perfect.

I think that was a very important step, last thing I wuld want is to have the jig not work properly. This way I am 100% confiedent that fitment will be 100% every time.

The intercooler piping is much easier to do, as there is always room for adjustment with the silicone couplers. The pipes can be moved a bit before clamping things down. They are still exact duplicates of the original, and I will keep it that way.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-28-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

as soon as it gets here.. its going in right away! Ill make sure to make a thread with lots and lot of pix!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Glex25

Wow those welds look so nice its a shame it will be mostly under the car
Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vas_Z33
as soon as it gets here.. its going in right away! Ill make sure to make a thread with lots and lot of pix!
Hope you enjoy your new setup. Best of luck to yah and can't wait for your thoughts on the kit.

Chris
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 AM
ekelly36

Well I am about to trade my car in for an HR so hopefully I will have time for you to develop the HR kit and for others to truely test this kit. I would like to hear what the open dump sounds like on the Dyno....
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

whatever happened to MI35's car down at IP?

It looks like i will have some extra cash this year (surprising since i'm broke from school now) but idont' have any additional time to tear down and install this until the winter.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Vas_Z33

yeah^ +1 what happened to him
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

As everyone has stated already those are very nice and clean welds for sure... Can't wait to see this kit in action on more member rides.. +1
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by binder
whatever happened to MI35's car down at IP?
His Haltech is fried, so it needs extensive repairs. Also, both engine and body harness are being replaced. This would be a significant setback with any build.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
As everyone has stated already those are very nice and clean welds for sure... Can't wait to see this kit in action on more member rides.. +1
Thanks, and I am looking forward to seeing more of these on other cars. I am 100% confident that all that buy this kit will be extremly happy.

I had a local Z owner come by to check the kit out, and go for a test drive. He was really impressed with the power and how smooth it was. So, he was sold after the test drive. I also spent about an hour with him going over every detail on the kit, again very happy with what he saw in person.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-28-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
sodjazero

might be a dumb question but do you hear any accessive rattling/vibration with the pipes?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sodjazero
might be a dumb question but do you hear any accessive rattling/vibration with the pipes?
That is the beaty of it. There reason I built this kit is to avoid issues like that. There is plenty of room for all the piping, and I have not had a single rattling/vibration issue from my first build 1.5 years ago up to now.

The lack of exhaust piping in the engine bay is I think the great advantage. Not only for clearance, but heat as well.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Thanks, and I am looking forward to seeing more of these on other cars. I am 100% confident that all that buy this kit will be extremly happy.

I had a local Z owner come by to check the kit out, and go for a test drive. He was really impressed with the power and how smooth it was. So, he was sold after the test drive. I also spent about an hour with him going over every detail on the kit, again very happy with what he saw in person.
If all the pipe work looks that clean i would be too. With the turbo out of the engine bay is it safe to say intake temps should remain at a good Level or obviously lower than Plab and tnetics?

edit: just saw the above post... good stuff

Last edited by Highway Riding; 04-28-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
His Haltech is fried, so it needs extensive repairs. Also, both engine and body harness are being replaced. This would be a significant setback with any build.
ah, that's kiddie stuff! minus the cash for the haltech i guess.

i'll trade him changing a wiring harness for the hell i just went through changing head gaskets.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Vas_Z33

Originally Posted by binder
ah, that's kiddie stuff! minus the cash for the haltech i guess.

i'll trade him changing a wiring harness for the hell i just went through changing head gaskets.

glad to see u got the car up and running.. time to sell the vortech
Old 04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

If all the pipe work looks that clean i would be too. With the turbo out of the engine bay is it safe to say intake temps should remain at a good Level or obviously lower than Plab and tnetics?
I think the overall engine bay temperatures would be lower. Both PL and TN get the air from behind the bumper, so the start point of both kits (and my) is the turbo getting ambient air temperature.

I am not sure how heat soaking in the pipes would work, so I would suspect that my IAT's would be a bit lower do to lack of intercooler piping in the engine bay. This is not proven, but is rather an educated guess.

For example, the TN kit runs its IC piping right behind the radiator before it enters the IM. It is constantly being exposed to very hot air, so one can only assume that the IAT's would be a bit higher.

IMO the less IC piping you have in the engine bay (especially high up in the engine bay) the better.

edit: just saw the above post... good stuff

I will take a few more pictures of the welds and the kit that will be shipping out to Vas.

I think you guys will like it.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-28-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: New winter new turbo build