Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New winter new turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
17* is not very conservative timing. 12-13* at WOT is conservative. I was running 17* with my more aggressive meth tune.

but it will be excellent to see some updated pulls to compare with STS and PL.
17 degrees is conservative when you are taking about 4 psi of boost. go check your tune and see where your timing is set at the rpm of your peak HP at only 4 psi. I'm sure your tuner lowers the timing values in a proportionate value as boost pressure increases.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
17 degrees is conservative when you are taking about 4 psi of boost. go check your tune and see where your timing is set at the rpm of your peak HP at only 4 psi. I'm sure your tuner lowers the timing values in a proportionate value as boost pressure increases.
I screwed up, my memory failed me. Just looking at the old Haltech data logs and it looks like my timing was 14deg max.

11.5deg between 3700 and 5500rpm. So yes, very conservative. Timing is kept down during peak torque, not hp.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I screwed up, my memory failed me. Just looking at the old Haltech data logs and it looks like my timing was 14deg max.

11.5deg between 3700 and 5500rpm. So yes, very conservative. Timing is kept down during peak torque, not hp.
At 4psi and 11 deg around peak TQ is conservative. You can bump that to 14deg at peak TQ and still stay conservative. Are you sure you are not looking at the 8psi column? 11 deg at PeakTQ and 14deg at higher rpm are the numbers I usually see for 8-9psi map. You may be boosing only 4psi but you r map maybe set for 10psi. As I said, I'm not worried about the power #. I want to see the TQ curve. I want to see how early and how long do you hold that tq.

Last edited by athenG; 02-12-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by athenG
At 4psi and 11 deg around peak TQ is conservative. You can bump that to 14deg at peak TQ and still stay conservative. Are you sure you are not looking at the 8psi column? 11 deg at PeakTQ and 14deg at higher rpm are the numbers I usually see for 8-9psi map. You may be boosing only 4psi but you r map maybe set for 10psi. As I said, I'm not worried about the power #. I want to see the TQ curve. I want to see how early and how long do you hold that tq.
I didn't look at my maps, I looked at the data logs.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:00 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
I didn't look at my maps, I looked at the data logs.
ok, then that is conservative...
Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by athenG

I will leave the timing alone and bump the boost. The wastegate spring will be .6bar (8.7psi), no boost control.

While I am at it, I will test the new Tial MV-S wastegate. I have the old style 38mm. I am confident that there will not be any issues with it. I plan on welding the V-band flange on this weekend to my old exhaust piping.

The one I had last year on my car is on the left and the new style is on the right. The new MV-S style gate is supposedly flows 6% better (according to Tial tech. rep.). If you do the math on the exhaust tubing and wastegate size: (1.5/2.5) you get 60% of the exhaust flow diverted through the wastegate. So there is not reason one should ever have issues with a 38mm w/g, unless using a very small turbo.

I have both gates and did notice that the new one does not open nearly as much as the old style. Tial tells me that the plunger acts a restrictor to flow once opened past a certain point.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-12-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM
niZam

First I want to say Awesome build. I love the kit. Great alternative to twins and supercharger. I want one! Can't wait to see the dyno this thursday.

I know it was previously discussed in this thread, I've just got a few more thoughts/concerns to add. I guess these are directed to boosted perfomance since he has first hand experience.

Was there any dirt build up on the turbo and intake after a year of driving? Seems like it would be filthy being under the car and not protected in the engine bay. Does this increase the chance of getting dirt particles past the filter? I saw the pictures of where the filter is located and it looks like the very best possible location for it.

Is'nt water an issue when it comes in contact with a hot turbo? Again, under the car, not protected its gonna get wet. Could it crack or reduce the life of the turbo?

Playin the devils advocate here but is there a concern for theft? Someone could simply jack the car up and have a turbo in 10 minutes. Assuming its not parked in a garage at night. Are there lock bolts like there are lock lug nuts that require a special socket?

Again, I really like the kit, nice work PB. My first choice when going FI.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
If that is not enough there is the big brother:

1950 CFM's, 1300HP at max efficiency 2.0 psi pressure drop.

Overall Size 26.50" X 15.00" X 3.50"
Core Size 25.00" X 9.00" X 3.50"

I can't wait untill MI 35th gets this mounted and Hal@IP tunes it. I am sure there will be a video.

Looks like the final price will be lower than anticipated as well.
In for the video clips. I'd loved to see how this kit runs/ sounds and performs! Seems very promising

Last edited by tiguy99; 02-15-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by niZam
First I want to say Awesome build. I love the kit. Great alternative to twins and supercharger. I want one! Can't wait to see the dyno this thursday.

I know it was previously discussed in this thread, I've just got a few more thoughts/concerns to add. I guess these are directed to boosted perfomance since he has first hand experience.

Was there any dirt build up on the turbo and intake after a year of driving? Seems like it would be filthy being under the car and not protected in the engine bay. Does this increase the chance of getting dirt particles past the filter? I saw the pictures of where the filter is located and it looks like the very best possible location for it.

Solution: Clean the filter with every oil change. Your under the car anyway.

Is'nt water an issue when it comes in contact with a hot turbo? Again, under the car, not protected its gonna get wet. Could it crack or reduce the life of the turbo?

Solution: Not likely. Just FYI: The SFR turbo's are under the car, water not an issue, the sound performance turbo's are under the car...again not an issue, the STS turbo is under the car...again not an issue.

Playin the devils advocate here but is there a concern for theft? Someone could simply jack the car up and have a turbo in 10 minutes. Assuming its not parked in a garage at night. Are there lock bolts like there are lock lug nuts that require a special socket?

Solution: Get a Kryptonite lock and lock your turbo to your frame. Problem Solved. LOL

Seriously though, theft is a fact of life. Deal with it or live in FEAR!!
If you are that paranoid, get some torx bolts or something crazy like that to bolt up your turbo, but truth be told, if someone wants your turbo that badly, he wouldn't care about what he has to break to get it.

Again, I really like the kit, nice work PB. My first choice when going FI.
see above
Old 02-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Solution: Get a Kryptonite lock and lock your turbo to your frame. Problem Solved. LOL
Thanks, that was a good laugh, and thanks for answering the other questions.

On a side note, I got the car all done today. The revised turbo kit is installed and ready to go. I took it out for a 10km drive as well just to make sure all is well, and of course no issues to report.

I really wanted to open it up and see how the new (Precision 6162E) feels but couldn't. It is still deep winter here, and even though things were melting the roads are wet and sandy. I did find a dry section and stepped on in 2nd and it sounds awesome. The new turbo really whistles, and the boost cam on like a hammer, and I lost traction instantly.

The only thing that will be different in the kits being sold is the scavenge pump, and IMO it is better than the one I have on. Also, I had to rig something for the oil reservoir for the turbo, because the drain is so close to the compressor. The Garrett reservoir I had made did not bolt up.

As it sits right now:

This was brought up by a few people, as they were worried about the headers taking the extra weight of the turbo. The hanger setup is fully adjustable, so you can put as much load on it as you wish and is very easy to remove. I can tell you that there is absolutely no load on the headers. The hanger is mounted just in front of the rear skid plate, and attaches to the short down pipe:

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 02-15-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
tiguy99

Sasha, I have a couple questions for you exhaust wise...For someone like me running Berk HFCs on my Fast Intentions CB exhaust, what would my option be to get the current configuration to fit your turbo kit? Would I need a reverse Y pipe to bolt on this exhaust?

Also, if I had to loose my HFCs could you provide an option to include a 200 cell cat to be welded (like the Vibrant Brand model) on the down pipe? Any idea how much extra the price would be?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Sasha, I have a couple questions for you exhaust wise...For someone like me running Berk HFCs on my Fast Intentions CB exhaust, what would my option be to get the current configuration to fit your turbo kit? Would I need a reverse Y pipe to bolt on this exhaust?

Also, if I had to loose my HFCs could you provide an option to include a 200 cell cat to be welded (like the Vibrant Brand model) on the down pipe? Any idea how much extra the price would be?

Thanks in advance.
You have many options as far as exhaust goes. You can use the OEM exhaust that bolts up to the OEM Y-pipe (not recommended because it is small) or you can use any other exhaust out there that would bolt up to the OEM Y-pipe. I bought a cheap Megan Racing knock off from ebay for $200, and it works/sounds great.

HFC and turbos don't mix too well. I have some non foulers and no CEL. I am trying to stay away from "options" as it becomes difficult to keep track of things.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
QuicksilverZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I like the rerouted w/g tube into the exhaust!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 AM
rrmedicx

So is the revision made to return the wastegate gases into the exhaust going to be the standard, or will folks still have that as an option to dump to atmosphere?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

So is the revision made to return the wastegate gases into the exhaust going to be the standard, or will folks still have that as an option to dump to atmosphere?

The entire kit is revised, the piping is completly different from my first build.

The wastegater routing will be optional, return to down pipe or dump to atmosphere.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:43 AM
rrmedicx

Sweet!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 AM
athenG

Seriously though, theft is a fact of life. Deal with it or live in FEAR!!
If you are that paranoid, get some torx bolts or something crazy like that to bolt up your turbo, but truth be told, if someone wants your turbo that badly, he wouldn't care about what he has to break to get it.

see above
lol.. True.. If I live in a questionable area then my turbo is the last thing in my mind. Heck my wheels are more expensive than the turbo.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Time is set. Tomorrow 3:00PM (MT) on the dyno for 2 hours, so look for results tomorrow evening.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

sweeett!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
BCs350z

cant wait!!

Quick Reply: New winter new turbo build