Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: Which EMS are you using for your FI application?
Haltec
63.16%
Pro-Efi
36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Haltec V.S Pro-efi

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:38 AM
psychoballistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all great information guys, this is the type of stuff i've been wondering.

Regarding the CEL's with the Haltec, how common is that? and what type of codes appear?

I know the haltec retains the OBDII for diagnostics which is also used in many states for inspections, is that the case with the Pro-efi also?

Any shops have any thoughts on these systems: Hal, Sharif, SP, Intense???
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Hal is A Haltec user lol...of course.

SP is Pro-EFI (Larry helped develop and test it) - This is why I went pro-efi (proximety) and Pro-EFI 48 still utilizes the OBD2 port for codes.....128box doesn't.

Intense I'm not sure on

Forged in general seems to use the HKS stuff.

Tom

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
This is all great information guys, this is the type of stuff i've been wondering.

Regarding the CEL's with the Haltec, how common is that? and what type of codes appear?

I know the haltec retains the OBDII for diagnostics which is also used in many states for inspections, is that the case with the Pro-efi also?

Any shops have any thoughts on these systems: Hal, Sharif, SP, Intense???
Old 11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my low boost map exceeds the internal capability of the Haltech So i have to use the external map sensor for that.

I think Sharif will tune whatever you pay him to. He's had nice cars leave with UTEC, Haltech, FCON, and reflash.

Originally Posted by rcdash
Creative re-use of another input like external MAP? I only learned recently that you could have both internal and external MAP sensors "read" / log simultaneously. I could have been using that as a 5V input for boost control. Oh well. Now I'm using it for the boost reference for W/M injection.

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
thom000001

I think all the tuners will tune on just about anything they have the capability to tune with......doubt any tuner is going to limit themself to 1 ecu lol

Plus most of the tuners have been around since all these ECU's were even made, so they have seem most all of them at some level.

tom

Originally Posted by str8dum1
my low boost map exceeds the internal capability of the Haltech So i have to use the external map sensor for that.

I think Sharif will tune whatever you pay him to. He's had nice cars leave with UTEC, Haltech, FCON, and reflash.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
psychoballistic

Thom, did you go with the 48 or 128?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
thom000001

pro-EFI 48.

48 is perfect for me.....128 is for the big boys

Tom

Originally Posted by psychoballistic
Thom, did you go with the 48 or 128?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

All are relatively small companies and the products have proven themselves. Based on feature set alone, I would consider the ViPEC 88 at this point as well. From what I can tell, the Haltech does have the largest development team as well as great USA support by Injected Performance. The updates have been impressive and v1.06 is no exception.

I will only speak to deficiencies with the system I know well, the Haltech. The primary weakness of the Haltech imo at this point is the lack of even more user-definable / programmable inputs/ouputs, for which I will speculate that a solution has been in the works for awhile (an add-on input/output box that uses CAN communications). Haltech has a strict policy not to make announcements until said product/features is/are available for use, so there is really no way to know how much longer it will be for that add-on. Of course, you don't really need this add-on except for the most sophisticated set ups where you want the EMS to control/read more than the usual set of sensors, but still it would be nice to preclude buying or wiring in things like additional fan controllers, W/M controllers, failsafe circuits, input devices (like manual boost control or scramble boost function) etc. At this point, I have purchased a sophisticated aquamist controller for W/M (HFS6) and nice PWM 60 amp dual fan controller (by DIF), so I'm not clamoring as loudly as I used to for this... So I guess you have options without relying on the EMS to do/control everything.
Very good information, thanks.

EDIT: It is my understanding that since the stock ECU generates the CEL light/codes, you will get CELs with all/any EMS without doing a reflash of the stock ECU or removing the stock ECU.
Not necessarily. I have a stock (unflashed ECU) with my UTEC and I never get any CELs....
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

neither one is a standlone fwiw - both are piggyback units that still utilize the factory ecu

CEL's are a byproduct of the factory ecu - you either need to keep the values within the parameters that keep the ecu happy, or flash the ecu to bypass those codes altogether. I have a Haltech, with cams, and test pipes, zero CEL. I previously had a utec, zero CEL's.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:10 PM
thom000001

Yup,
Without stock ECU the car wouldn't start/run, HVAC wouldn't work, I don't even think our windows or radio will work......
Auto manu's have integrated everything electronic through the ECU these days, thus everything is a piggy back at some level.

Anyone remember the old BMW's...wired the fuel pump through the radio....if your radio didn't work, chances are that meant your fuel pump went out lol

tom

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
neither one is a standlone fwiw - both are piggyback units that still utilize the factory ecu

CEL's are a byproduct of the factory ecu - you either need to keep the values within the parameters that keep the ecu happy, or flash the ecu to bypass those codes altogether. I have a Haltech, with cams, and test pipes, zero CEL. I previously had a utec, zero CEL's.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

FWIW, we should point out that even a re-flash to eliminate CELs will not help you pass and OBD plug-in inspection. The sensors show as pending and most states will not pass you with open or pending sensors.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:46 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

The primary weakness of the Haltech imo at this point is the lack of even more user-definable / programmable inputs/ouputs, for which I will speculate that a solution has been in the works for awhile (an add-on input/output box that uses CAN communications).
I'll just throw this out there as food for thought. The Coolingmist Smart Controller has user-definable / programmable inputs/ouputs, and it's relatively cheap, I think $169 the last time I looked. Now, before any jumps out and buys one, they should review the documents on the manufacturer's website to make sure that it will do what they want, but I have found it to be very useful.

With the new 4.0L motor build underway, I'm likely not going to use a nitrouis system. However, when I was planning on using Nitrous, I designed the nitrous setup using the Smart Controller to control everything. At that time, maybe about a year ago, it would provide more capability than any dedicated Nitrous controllers I could find.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:31 PM
psychoballistic

Originally Posted by Cass007
FWIW, we should point out that even a re-flash to eliminate CELs will not help you pass and OBD plug-in inspection. The sensors show as pending and most states will not pass you with open or pending sensors.
So with a haltec or pro-efi, will most cars still pass obdII inspections? or will the ems's cause pending or open sensors?

I'm in Ny and we are allowed one pending or open sensor but would this cause all sensors to become a problem.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM
str8dum1

Terry, is your build underway finally? meaning you actually have your motor?

and ya, cars will still be able to pas OBDII inspections. The stuff out of range, like cam timing etc, isnt scanned.

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I'll just throw this out there as food for thought. The Coolingmist Smart Controller has user-definable / programmable inputs/ouputs, and it's relatively cheap, I think $169 the last time I looked. Now, before any jumps out and buys one, they should review the documents on the manufacturer's website to make sure that it will do what they want, but I have found it to be very useful.

With the new 4.0L motor build underway, I'm likely not going to use a nitrouis system. However, when I was planning on using Nitrous, I designed the nitrous setup using the Smart Controller to control everything. At that time, maybe about a year ago, it would provide more capability than any dedicated Nitrous controllers I could find.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have passed twice so far with the Haltech here in NC and you are allowed one "not ready" status. So it is possible. Most of the time I run with a reflash that disables the O2 and catalytic sensor tests though. I re-enable them only for inspection.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
that is not true actually

the laws regarding inspection/readiness codes vary state to state - every one of them from my understanding allows at least 1 "not ready" code, and many allow several such codes

whoops...people addressed this already
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 AM
psychoballistic

Regarding the EMS's and the obdII system that is definately a big issue for many of us who have to pass inspections, so in this case the pro-efi 48 or the haltec would surely be a better choise over the pro-efi 128.

Thanks for all the good information guys.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Terry, is your build underway finally? meaning you actually have your motor?

and ya, cars will still be able to pas OBDII inspections. The stuff out of range, like cam timing etc, isnt scanned.
Unfortunately, no motor yet.

If perfection takes time, this should be the most perfect motor ever built.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
str8dum1

at what point do you say enough is enough? Its obvious they have your stuff on the back burner. I could never deal with that when there are alot of other competent motor builders, even local to you.

i think your build is taking longer than XKR LOL
Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

at what point do you say enough is enough? Its obvious they have your stuff on the back burner. I could never deal with that when there are alot of other competent motor builders, even local to you.

i think your build is taking longer than XKR LOL
I started out at South Florida Crank and Machine. After 3 months of being told next week, and then finding out that I got bumped because a race team had an upcoming event, I decided to give GTM a try. I did throw a curve ball at them in August when I asked for them to weld in some kind cylinder supports around the tops of the cylinders. That was 3 months ago, and I am getting very antsy. On the other hand, this is the first time they are playing with flat decking the block. There likely is a learning curve on this, and I don't want something to go wrong because my motor ships before they really have the process nailed down. So, I'm kind of stuck in a catch 22. I want the short block to ship ASAP, but not before it is perfect...

My wife and I have been sharing her car, but she is getting back into her career and is starting a new job. I'm going to have to break down and buy a daily driver. I like her CTS, so maybe a CTS-V. I don't know, we'll see.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 AM
str8dum1

I would scrap the g35 and tweak that cts-v. Thats also a much better track car as shown by its Nürburgring

potential of a stock 6.2L 550hp supercharged LS9 motor from a ZR1>>>>>>> any G35

Quick Reply: Haltec V.S Pro-efi