Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Kirks06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
umm 13psi on a sc and making only 340whp is very low also...i make between 410-420whp depending on dyno at max 10psi on my vortech...he was very low for the psi
That's what I have read as well and that also points to the tune as being the cause of the failure as well. Those are some good numbers at 10 psi Tyler.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not sure why some of you guys are so caught up on the dyno numbers. Stop comparing numbers from a Mustang Dyno to others like the DynoJet or DynoDynamics or anything else. And we still haven't seen any graphs, unless I missed them, so we don't even know at what revs it blew up.

BTW, for comparison's sake, my Z with a 100 shot put down 286whp/368wtq and it made 228/232 N/A. My bottle was very low on nitrous though, so it was losing pressure fast (hence the low hp number). Anyway, the point is that it's useless to compare numbers from a different brand dyno, at a different location, at a different time/date, etc.

Also, I wouldn't have gone to Cobb (Plano). They don't even have the common sense/decency to turn off the VDC as a safety precaution when doing dyno pulls on FI cars, apparently. They dyno'd my car with a 100 shot in 4th gear and my tires lost traction on the dyno. Since they left the VDC on (didn't even think to turn it off), it kicked in during my pull and instead of letting off the accel, the dyno operator kept it pegged to the floor until the end of that pull. Fortunately for me, nothing blew up or anything like that but I'm sure the AFR went lean as **** for a little while.

They're cool guys and all, but their knowledge on the Z/Gs is lackluster, at best, especially when compared to other companies/shops. I strongly recommend that you stay away from Cobb (Plano) if you have a VQ. I've heard good things about Chris Macarello and UpRev for quite some time, so they would've been at the top of my list for TX.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I'm not sure why some of you guys are so caught up on the dyno numbers. Stop comparing numbers from a Mustang Dyno to others like the DynoJet or DynoDynamics or anything else. And we still haven't seen any graphs, unless I missed them, so we don't even know at what revs it blew up.

BTW, for comparison's sake, my Z with a 100 shot put down 286whp/368wtq and it made 228/232 N/A. My bottle was very low on nitrous though, so it was losing pressure fast (hence the low hp number). Anyway, the point is that it's useless to compare numbers from a different brand dyno, at a different location, at a different time/date, etc.

Also, I wouldn't have gone to Cobb (Plano). They don't even have the common sense/decency to turn off the VDC as a safety precaution when doing dyno pulls on FI cars, apparently. They dyno'd my car with a 100 shot in 4th gear and my tires lost traction on the dyno. Since they left the VDC on (didn't even think to turn it off), it kicked in during my pull and instead of letting off the accel, the dyno operator kept it pegged to the floor until the end of that pull. Fortunately for me, nothing blew up or anything like that but I'm sure the AFR went lean as **** for a little while.

They're cool guys and all, but their knowledge on the Z/Gs is lackluster, at best, especially when compared to other companies/shops. I strongly recommend that you stay away from Cobb (Plano) if you have a VQ. I've heard good things about Chris Macarello and UpRev for quite some time, so they would've been at the top of my list for TX.

To me the dyno just seemed low for the psi they said it was at which to me points to a tuning issue I have asked for the logs and dyno graphs but have not got them. I told them repeatedly to go conservative they a sured me they would. I am really upset that they thought they knew more then they did, a little knowledge is dangerous when it comes to tuning, I found that out the hard and very expensive way. Thanks everybody for your information and kind words.

Last edited by Kirks06; 01-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:24 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirks06
To me the dyno just seemed low for the psi they said it was at which to me points to a tuning issue I have asked for the logs and dyno graphs but have not got them. I told them repeatedly to go conservative they a sured me they would. I am really upset that they thought they knew more then they did, a little knowledge is dangerous when it comes to tuning, I found that out the hard and very expensive way. Thanks everybody for your information and kind words.
Don't expect to get **** from them. They haven't even sent the participants (20ish people?) of the dyno day the dyno files via email. I don't think they even acknowledged the fact that we sent them emails inquiring about the whereabouts of our requested files.

I have no experience with the original Cobb and their personnel, but I can say that I was not at all impressed/pleased with Cobb at Plano. DFW STILL doesn't have a decent shop for the VQ guys.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Actually his post is VERY correct. Apparently you're not as educated as you wish to project to other members of the forum.

OBD II is a Federal mandate. This is the communication protocol that everyone must use. There is a special series of "Wake-up" Codes and "Transmit" Codes and "Receive" Codes. Just as the dealer has the Consult II and III and we have universal OBD II scanners to pull information and and the dealer also has the capability to "Flash" the ecu although its just a OEM type file.

This is where Uprev comes in. There are millions of lines of code that are strictly in hexi-decimal. OBVIOUSLY Nissan is not going to give the so-called "Map" to navigate how the code integrates and associates to each other.

So it is up to Uprev and Cobb to define what a certain set of values in the millions of lines of codes means. Also they have to know HOW it reacts with other lines of code. If there are modifier tables or they are dealing with a second level map then they are not tuning the BASE portion of the map and thus will always chase their tail sense the other code in the ECU is modifying the table they are trying to tune.

Take the timing map for example. The base map is stable. Its reference points are RPM and something else called the base fuel schedule. This is a theoretical type of value that is based on MANY different inputs. Its is closely associated to the MAF signal but if you are dealing with a bad table (ie not the main table) then it doesnt matter what you reference.

Basically I could go on for hours about this but obviously Uprev either has a more stable understanding of the ECU or Cobb got to aggressive with timing. That motor blew due to timing and there are zero doubts about that. This timing issue could possibly be associated to the fact that they didn't upgrade the MAF sensor which must be upgraded to handle over 5 or 6 PSI. I haven't read every post so they may have done that.

Regardless DJAMPS...I'm tired of your spread of disinformation on the forums. Its a disservice to the community. Do your homework...realize that you don't know nearly as much as you think you do...and please understand that everyone knows that you are going to defend or get defensive about a company that obviously sponsors and allows you to continue to upgrade in this expensive hobby (not Cobb). Its obvious to everyone here that you're diluted...apparently you should catch on soon.
Dave,

I wasn't bashing Uprev. Here's my problem - Uprev seems to be blaming the Cobb's technology rather than the tuner for this guy's blowup...which I feel is unfounded. To help you understand my perspective, his comments would be like blaming all your tuning issues and blown motors on Uprev or Vortech or TurboXS...but we really don't need to go there do we?

Nobody, including me is denying that Uprev doesn't have better tuning software than Cobb...which is what you seem to be all hung up on. The final result is only as good as the tuner.

If I'm wrong in anything I just said feel free to post another rant and let me know.

Last edited by djamps; 01-12-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Vince@R/TTuning
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually his post is VERY correct. Apparently you're not as educated as you wish to project to other members of the forum.

OBD II is a Federal mandate. This is the communication protocol that everyone must use. There is a special series of "Wake-up" Codes and "Transmit" Codes and "Receive" Codes. Just as the dealer has the Consult II and III and we have universal OBD II scanners to pull information and and the dealer also has the capability to "Flash" the ecu although its just a OEM type file.

This is where Uprev comes in. There are millions of lines of code that are strictly in hexi-decimal. OBVIOUSLY Nissan is not going to give the so-called "Map" to navigate how the code integrates and associates to each other.

So it is up to Uprev and Cobb to define what a certain set of values in the millions of lines of codes means. Also they have to know HOW it reacts with other lines of code. If there are modifier tables or they are dealing with a second level map then they are not tuning the BASE portion of the map and thus will always chase their tail sense the other code in the ECU is modifying the table they are trying to tune.

Take the timing map for example. The base map is stable. Its reference points are RPM and something else called the base fuel schedule. This is a theoretical type of value that is based on MANY different inputs. Its is closely associated to the MAF signal but if you are dealing with a bad table (ie not the main table) then it doesnt matter what you reference.

Basically I could go on for hours about this but obviously Uprev either has a more stable understanding of the ECU or Cobb got to aggressive with timing. That motor blew due to timing and there are zero doubts about that. This timing issue could possibly be associated to the fact that they didn't upgrade the MAF sensor which must be upgraded to handle over 5 or 6 PSI. I haven't read every post so they may have done that.

Regardless DJAMPS...I'm tired of your spread of disinformation on the forums. Its a disservice to the community. Do your homework...realize that you don't know nearly as much as you think you do...and please understand that everyone knows that you are going to defend or get defensive about a company that obviously sponsors and allows you to continue to upgrade in this expensive hobby (not Cobb). Its obvious to everyone here that you're diluted...apparently you should catch on soon.
Thats a great and informative post...

I would say the MAF was probably maxed out at 7-8 psi(at least thats what we have found here with the dozens of Vortech cars we have done), so that last 5psi the ECU really didnt have control of the timing and fuel. These ECU's do not like having the MAF voltage maxed out. So with that... if they did several pulls with the stock MAF... on that set up they were probably starting to do damage from the first pull...
Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Delete: my mistake.

Originally Posted by AcidJake75
I would look into getting COBB to pay for it... More than likely - you having these pics and a good lawyer helps getting this type of mess "settled" ASAP.

Glad to see UPREV is taking damn good care of the new engine and the swap etc.
I'm sure kirk signed on the paper that owner will take all response, if anything happen on dyno. Unless Cobb wants to help kirk out.

Last edited by Chef-J; 01-12-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning

I would say the MAF was probably maxed out at 7-8 psi(at least thats what we have found here with the dozens of Vortech cars we have done), so that last 5psi the ECU really didnt have control of the timing and fuel. These ECU's do not like having the MAF voltage maxed out. So with that... if they did several pulls with the stock MAF... on that set up they were probably starting to do damage from the first pull...
My whole point... a it's more than likely a fundamental tuner issue until proven otherwise, not a fundamental issue with the tuning software. Unless Uprev can be tuned to 13psi without an HPX...oh wait, I'm an idiot so I'll just stop posting misinformation.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
djamps

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Tell us that again after you really try both of them.
I know english isn't your first language so I'll say it more clearly. I never once implied that Uprev isn't superior to other flash tunes. Here's once more without a double negative: Uprev is the most advanced flash tuning software there is LOL. jesus christ, if you can't understand that this isn't the point, I give up.

Last edited by djamps; 01-12-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by djamps
I know english isn't your first language so I'll say it more clearly. I never once implied that Uprev isn't superior to other flash tunes. Here's once more without a double negative: Uprev is the most advanced flash tuning software there is LOL. jesus christ, if you can't understand that this isn't the point, I give up.
Haha i missed that one, you got me this one. But be nice dude.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
djamps

Haha i missed that one, you got me this one. But be nice dude.
Sorry I just got a little worked up from an earlier post. we cool
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure COBB will not pay for it. Every time I put my car on a dyno I have to sign a waiver that if my motor pops on it, they will not pay. It is a risk you take playing with engines.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero

i dont think anyone here was comparing dyno numbers, the point was that the car should have made much more power at 13psi or whatever it was and that this was a tuning issue...dyno number comparisons is the stupidest thing someone could do, every dyno is gonna read different and there are so many factors that play into the numbers
Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by Vince@R/TTuning

They had the upgraded MAF sensor from Uprev, Calvin the tuner at Cobb said he calibrated for the aftermarket MAF sensor from uprev first in order for him to do base runs.

Also I know I signed a paper which I think waived liability I should have got a copy but I didn't think this was going to happen. I kept thinking they are going to be safe and conservative and be responsible. I thought the water/meth injection would add even a little more safety. What a huge mistake I hope others might avoid the same fate don't be a tuners guinea pig or in my engines case a roasted pig

Thanks for all the information guys if only knew then what i know now.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^kirk,

I don't think most of tuner uses w/m injection from the start. When Hal@ip tuned my car, he started without the w/m and he made sure it ran safe first without it and also chris from local tuner didn't touch anything from start. That just my experice tho.

Well, its time for you to look at bright side. Uprev is good shop, I meant by "shop", yeah not just tune. when I looked over after got my car back from uprev, what they did on it looked very clean. Anyway, if I get a car by the time you get it back, we should go have fun man. lololol
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Kirks06

^kirk,

I don't think most of tuner uses w/m injection from the start. When Hal@ip tuned my car, he started without the w/m and he made sure it ran safe first without it and also chris from local tuner didn't touch anything from start. That just my experice tho.

Well, its time for you to look at bright side. Uprev is good shop, I meant by "shop", yeah not just tune. when I looked over after got my car back from uprev, what they did on it looked very clean. Anyway, if I get a car by the time you get it back, we should go have fun man. lololol

I just meant that they should have taken it very easy to start with then with the w/m injection they could have add a little more fuel and timing.

Sounds like fun Jay be sweet to hang with you sometime.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Gotcha. But question, what is your build motor setup? Are you going to upgrade cam as well?

Yeah man, that would be fun. Just don't smoke me all day long. Lol

Originally Posted by Kirks06
I just meant that they should have taken it very easy to start with then with the w/m injection they could have add a little more fuel and timing.

Sounds like fun Jay be sweet to hang with you sometime.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by rocks
I am sure COBB will not pay for it. Every time I put my car on a dyno I have to sign a waiver that if my motor pops on it, they will not pay. It is a risk you take playing with engines.
Which is why Function:TUNED provides a Stock Piston and Rod Warranty. No one can argue with the significance of that...not as shameless advertisement but its a matter of my personal pride and belief in what I produce. There are many companies, even large ones with lots of income that don't do that. Ultimately how can you have respect for anything they produce. I know Rich and the guys are Uprev. They would replace your motor if they popped it on the dyno.

Regardless to the OP. If you want a splash post this on the GTR forums. They spend time over there. That heat will get them motivated. Use the leverage you have. I have no sympathy for any company that doesn't stand behind what they do.

Djamps again your using misdirection. No one even thought of or mentioned the MAF situation until I brought it up. Ultimately if Cobb doesn't understand that the MAF needs to be upgraded then there is something wrong with their foundation. Whether this results in a MAF clamping out or a software issue thats besides the point. Their software should have shown them that the MAF was reading at max voltage and it should have also gone into limp mode. It did neither or the tuner just stayed in the throttle. MAF is the ONLY signal they have to reference. Unless they were mistakenly using Thottle position as their input. Then again it comes back to the idea that their software is faulty.

When a company makes software and tunes cars then the software design is based on the tuners input. If that information is tainted then ultimately the software is tainted. Its is a natural logical progression. There is no ifs or maybes. Its common sense. So in the end we don't know exactly what's going on but for my customer protection until I have a chance to play with the Cobb Z software then its off limits and not recommended. Strictly because the risk has become greater...not because I know something special.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Kirks06

The motor I have is a stage 1 built bottom end from Import performance parts. The head as going to be stock but brand new from GTM with upgraded valve seats and retainers I think that's all the upgrades. Can't afford any more then that, I would love to get upgraded cams and larger valves while the motor is apart but I have spent a lot more then I had permission from the wife to spend I don't know how you other guys do it cause I know I have not spent as much as other have and yet my wife has warned me no more.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Which is why Function:TUNED provides a Stock Piston and Rod Warranty. No one can argue with the significance of that...not as shameless advertisement but its a matter of my personal pride and belief in what I produce. There are many companies, even large ones with lots of income that don't do that. Ultimately how can you have respect for anything they produce. I know Rich and the guys are Uprev. They would replace your motor if they popped it on the dyno.

Regardless to the OP. If you want a splash post this on the GTR forums. They spend time over there. That heat will get them motivated. Use the leverage you have. I have no sympathy for any company that doesn't stand behind what they do.

Djamps again your using misdirection. No one even thought of or mentioned the MAF situation until I brought it up. Ultimately if Cobb doesn't understand that the MAF needs to be upgraded then there is something wrong with their foundation. Whether this results in a MAF clamping out or a software issue thats besides the point. Their software should have shown them that the MAF was reading at max voltage and it should have also gone into limp mode. It did neither or the tuner just stayed in the throttle. MAF is the ONLY signal they have to reference. Unless they were mistakenly using Thottle position as their input. Then again it comes back to the idea that their software is faulty.

When a company makes software and tunes cars then the software design is based on the tuners input. If that information is tainted then ultimately the software is tainted. Its is a natural logical progression. There is no ifs or maybes. Its common sense. So in the end we don't know exactly what's going on but for my customer protection until I have a chance to play with the Cobb Z software then its off limits and not recommended. Strictly because the risk has become greater...not because I know something special.
Above he just said they had the upgraded MAF.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise