Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Kirks06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jran76
Kirk... Any update? Did you get the car? Curious on what they said, and condition of the motor....
Work was crazy I didn't get a chance to go by there, but I did talk to them and they said it broke a rod they didn't know which one but that a piece went though the bottom of the oil pan ouch don't know if I can save the block. He could not tell me what the timing was but that they would print everything out for me. I ask him about detonation and he said the computer picked up no knock and that it wasn't a oil starvation issue. I guess I just got a Monday motor I will post up all the information hopefully tomorrow. I still don't know if I want to do the work or have a shop do it. I would like a one stop shop rebuild and tune all at the same place that way I can get it back running the way it should be. Thanks again everyone yall have helped more then you know. Kirk
Old 11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

In my opinion, 13 psi of boost on a stock engine is a bit excessive! What octane of fuel were you using? I didnt see it mentioned here.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem was in the tune..ive been rocking a little more than 400whp stock block for over 10k miles and it loves it....chef ran this setup also,,ur first mistake was using cobb for a ems...should have gotten a good one..**** the ss box is better than cobb, its ok for n/a setups but not boosted without knock protection and all...
Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

13 psi is fine if the tune is solid with the linear boost curve of the vortech kit
Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
the problem was in the tune..ive been rocking a little more than 400whp stock block for over 10k miles and it loves it....chef ran this setup also,,ur first mistake was using cobb for a ems...should have gotten a good one..**** the ss box is better than cobb, its ok for n/a setups but not boosted without knock protection and all...
there is a 370Z running down here with a GTM TT kit and a Cobb unit for 2 months and no issues.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Kirks06

It was tuned with 93 octane when it went boom but I had a water meth injection kit that they were going to include with the tune.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by westpak
there is a 370Z running down here with a GTM TT kit and a Cobb unit for 2 months and no issues.
I read your thread on another site, but it sounded like you did something else for timing control. Do you have any details on what else was used. I also don't think it is exactly apples to apples (although I would think the 370z would present more tuning issues).

While I agree that 13 psi is a bit excessive, it should be able to make it through a few dyno runs. If it threw a rod through the block, I am 99% sure it was detonation/knock that did it. I am going to say there are several factors related to the amount of boost, EMS, tuner, and engine that likely led to the failure....
Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Kirks06

While I agree that 13 psi is a bit excessive, it should be able to make it through a few dyno runs. If it threw a rod through the block, I am 99% sure it was detonation/knock that did it. I am going to say there are several factors related to the amount of boost, EMS, tuner, and engine that likely led to the failure....[/QUOTE]

So how would knock/detonation show up on a data log or a dyno run? He told me that the computer thought everything was good in fact and I quote the computer was adding timing when it went. Like some one posted earlier they should have been removing a lot of timing at that psi.

The problem is I keeping reading conflicting theories that both make sense in there own way. I still keep pointing back to the fact that Nissan has exact and precise assembly processes for the VQ's. Also another tuner with this same exact s/c and pulley combo made 400rwp at 12psi with out any problems. I will take lots of pictures of the broken bits real soon. I do like all the comments I have learned a lot.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

First off, sorry for your issues......

I find it a bit strange that Cobb (a sponsor on this forum) has not chimed in here. Typically shops are quick to come in and defend themselves. I have to agree that this sounds tune related. I will hold off on completely pointing the finger until some more specifics, pics, and perhaps a reply from cobb are posted. There are a number of competent tuners, installers in your area to get a second opinion (eventual re-tune) from.

Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
06g35meister

Sparknotes:
-Friend with similar setup
-Getting osiris tuned AGAIN (rebuilt blower after boost problems)
-Lemme know if there are any questions you have for Jared, ill be down there chattin it up on saturday!
-Osiris is AWESOME, and the guys in Austin deliver WHAT you want, and make a boosted car the best DD car ever. I just never felt comfortable going cobb. Personal choice, i feel you would side with me at this point.

Im headed up with my friend christian to Austin to get tuned by uprev. They have been fantastic thus far with everything I need and everything Christian has run into with a used blower, last time down he was making 3.5 lbs of boost (verified 2 gauges) and made just shy of 375hp. We are going down and throwing the 287 pulley on (stock crank too) and he will be tuning the BPV for just about 400 (i think, its not my car, but these are the safe numbers) on a conservative and "fun with few worries" tune. We will be going down saturday, so feel free to PM me and ask questions and the like about the setup, if i dont know, im sure jared or christian can come in and answer them for me. I feel for you man, i hope everything works out.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 PM
AZHR

wow this sucks. i was thinking about going with cobb when i go with the gtm tt kit, but i am rethinking it now...but i will hold off until cobb's reply on here.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

First off, sorry to hear this. AP isn't problem, its mattre with who tuned the car. Idk, if you still had stock sensor or housing, imo...around 350whp is pretty much limit with their dyno. The papers you signed from cobb is that they are not response for anything happen.
Anyway, we talked about this shop/tuner when we first time met, I recommand again...take your car out from cobb and talk to uprev or jtrain about block and tune. It has been a while kirk, sit back and now let the shop handle this everything. Ems or block, let the shop find one for you.

I'm going thru sh*t in my life, so I might not have a time to jump on this thread.

So...good luck kirk.

And to who having questions about psi/whp, 12 psi and little over 400whp is safe with stock block.

Have a good day my350z brothers.

Chefj

Edit: cobb is same as reflash ECU. I don't know, if they can monitor knock at high rpms.

Last edited by Chef-J; 11-18-2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by ADMAN
What's Chef have to say about all of this?
? I don't work at cobb.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

guys at austin texas is uprev. And osiris is their product. Jared already knows kirk, I told jared about kirk while ago, but I believe they haven't chance to talk.

Originally Posted by 06g35meister
Sparknotes:
-Friend with similar setup
-Getting osiris tuned AGAIN (rebuilt blower after boost problems)
-Lemme know if there are any questions you have for Jared, ill be down there chattin it up on saturday!
-Osiris is AWESOME, and the guys in Austin deliver WHAT you want, and make a boosted car the best DD car ever. I just never felt comfortable going cobb. Personal choice, i feel you would side with me at this point.

Im headed up with my friend christian to Austin to get tuned by uprev. They have been fantastic thus far with everything I need and everything Christian has run into with a used blower, last time down he was making 3.5 lbs of boost (verified 2 gauges) and made just shy of 375hp. We are going down and throwing the 287 pulley on (stock crank too) and he will be tuning the BPV for just about 400 (i think, its not my car, but these are the safe numbers) on a conservative and "fun with few worries" tune. We will be going down saturday, so feel free to PM me and ask questions and the like about the setup, if i dont know, im sure jared or christian can come in and answer them for me. I feel for you man, i hope everything works out.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Kirks06

Thanks Chef I should have listen to you in the first place and shipped the car down to Jared. Cobb is not active on these board so I don't expect a reply from them. I still need to get some prices on getting the work done before I decide to pay someone to do it or do it myself. Thanks again everyone for your support. Kirk
Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirks06
Thanks Chef I should have listen to you in the first place and shipped the car down to Jared. Cobb is not active on these board so I don't expect a reply from them. I still need to get some prices on getting the work done before I decide to pay someone to do it or do it myself. Thanks again everyone for your support. Kirk
Huh, they have plenty of time to continually pump their product ( https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/4647...challenge.html ). I have seen them on the lower "online members" section several times since your original post. They are active enough to respond. It is in their interest to respond as well......this doesn't look kindly on their product or tuning abilities. Like I said, I will hold off on actually blaming them for this, but it would be in their interest to respond to this.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

If we are indeed talking about 10.3 to 1 compression stock motor,93 octane and 13 psi! If you do the math the overall effectie compression ratio is sky high.Detonation can be a serious issue.And sure you can dial in AFR's so they are good and pull a bunch of timing but then your EGTS go up which can be dangerous and lead to a meltdown.

Last edited by TurboTim; 11-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Huh, they have plenty of time to continually pump their product ( https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/4647...challenge.html ). I have seen them on the lower "online members" section several times since your original post. They are active enough to respond. It is in their interest to respond as well......this doesn't look kindly on their product or tuning abilities. Like I said, I will hold off on actually blaming them for this, but it would be in their interest to respond to this.
I agree there imput on here would be great, I have tried to post as much information as they have given me I still need to go by and get the data log and dyno results but if they could post them on here all the better.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
ezpotato

this is gonna turn into a nightmare for cobb. and it really shouldnt.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Kirks06

Originally Posted by ezpotato
this is gonna turn into a nightmare for cobb. and it really shouldnt.
Why do you think that I am not tring to flame anyone I am just trying to get as much information and learn as much as I can.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan at Cobb with blown motor need advise