Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

my 2011 and Beyond! build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ship the car to Hal and get a rental for a while - hell give it back to you the way it should be - ..+it prob be cheaper than doin the local run and grun having bit after bit fail on you...
Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

At that point you're better off getting a bunch of guys who would like to get their haltechs tuned, renting a dyno, flying hal in and splitting the cost of everything between you guys... That is if you're that desperate to get your haltech tuned.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I was thinking of shipping the car to dubai in the summer in a B52 bomber and parachute drop it out to a dyno shop and have Hal jump out as well so he can tune my car for extreme weather.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well it takes 45 mins to put back in stock injectors and ecu. that will tell you what the problem is the tune or not.
That way if it is just a haltech problem, your call will be 100% drivable.

thats what I am running in my car right now til i get my tune figured out as well.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like typical issues that should be expected when boosting a VQ.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

I attended a driving school in Willow Springs today at the Streets of Willow track, I was able to rent a track car from the school at the last minute. Man it was a blast and since i wasn't driving my own car I did not hold back 1 bit. There was a few Porsche drivers on the track including my brother in laws 2011 Porsche Turbo S and I was able to stay on their *** the whole time (except the small straight away). I am pretty sure I was one of the fastest out of the entire class of 20 because they try to space the cars evenly and I kept getting behind cars. They didn't allow passing on the track so I would pit if I got bored of chasing someone. The whole day not 1 person was behind me and able to keep up, including my bro in law. Getting on the track really helped with getting rid of the stress I am having with my Z.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
DaveJackson
Master

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dikspiel
I was thinking of shipping the car to dubai in the summer in a B52 bomber and parachute drop it out to a dyno shop and have Hal jump out as well so he can tune my car for extreme weather.

Love it.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:42 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

be prepared to have to hit the track alot then

. Getting on the track really helped with getting rid of the stress I am having with my Z.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think every boosted VQ owner should have his on tow truck

GL OP.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

asses
Old 05-08-2011, 06:00 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YESTERDAY WAS FAIL ON A EPIC LEVEL!

So my car was supposed to be completed on Thursday. The shop was going to begin dynoing it around noon so I head down to the shop. When I get there I see my tuner is working on the dyno's electronics apparently the electronics that locks the drum so you can put the car on the dyno is not working. This mechanism also calculates the load I believe as well. Eventually he tells me that he doesn't think he can tune my car and that I can either wait until he is able to repair or to take it to another shop. I was planning to take the car to willow springs on Saturday so I began calling different tuners to check availability for tuning my Haltech. Church is booked up, SP Engineering is full for the next month, etc...

At this point my car had only been tuned at idle and the shop had been letting it run all day to make sure it wasn't having any problems or leaks. Luckily we find a certified haltech tuner who is only 4 miles away which is RRR Dyno Tuning. We call them and we find out they've tuned Z/G35's before doing a 600+whp built g35 just recently.

THANK GOD, epic disaster diverted....or so I thought. My shop assures me that I can drive the car the 4 miles as long as I don't drive to hit boost (so below 3000rpm). I drive over to the other tuner and they proceed to put the car on their DynoJet. An hour later it seems there is an issue with getting the car to pull timing correctly. They also find a small leak on the driver side turbo with both oil and water. Tuner ends trying to fix the issue with the haltech for another hour or so before telling me the haltech needs to be inspected. I bought the haltech brand new from a forum member so I was surprised there was any issues. To give you an idea of what the haltech was doing, even if he locked in the timing regardless of the RPM the timing would still jump all over the place. It was also not letting him rev past 4k rpm. On top of that because of the oil/water leak he wouldn't be able to tune the car until it was resolved. He advises me to drive back to my other shop, have them fix the leaks and bring him the Haltech so he can have it sent for inspection. He had put a different map of his own doing on the haltech so I could drive down to the other shop. He assures me that it will drive better then on the way there. Anyways as soon as I leave I feel the car is bogging down between 2-3k rpm so I keep the rev's low and keep switch gears when it starts to bog down.

Half way down to the other shop I feel car is struggling to even idle and it dies completely in the middle of a busy intersection. About 5 starts later I am able to get it to move about 50ft so I can pull over. Noooooooooo. I call the tuner at RRR dyno but he had already left for the day to pick up his wife. ****! I call my other shop and to see if he can run over and help me get the car running, I am hoping that if he loads the original map he made the car will start right up. He can't leave his shop until closing, his other guys are gone for the day and he has customers coming to pick up cars. Closing is about 2 hours later so I decided to call AAA to tow it the remainder of the 2 miles.

45 mins later AAA shows up, an old dude who has shaky hands and immediately I knew I was going to have a problem with this dude. First off, I had told AAA that my car was low and that the tow truck driver should have 2x4's to help get it on the truck bed smoothly. This guy immediately says I can't tow this car and proceeds to walk around it muttering to himself. I think if I had a sweet old school muscle car, he would of been more willing but I am a ricer. Anyways, he speaks with his manager and they eventually say he can not tow the car due to liability. My car isn't slammed at all and I've been able to tow the car without any issue in the past. He leaves and I call AAA to get me another tow truck.

At this point my phone is now dead and I am under the impression that a tow truck was on its way. The other shop is also going to be there soon so hopefully one way or another I will get the car back to the shop. While I am waiting, I begin checking to see if I can find any issues with the car. I try to start the car but it dies immediately. It seems to be want to turn over but its not getting any fuel. I dont smell fuel either. I check the fuel pump and when i partially start the ignition, I can hear it hum. I check for leaks, check the battery, check the fuses, everything looks good but the car will not start. There was no heating issues prior to failure so I am guessing its the tune.

FINALLY my shop guy shows up and loads his original map into my haltech. Car still won't start, same problem. He keeps trying for another 30-45 mins before he says we need to tow the car. I told him I had already called a tow truck and they should be here soon, I call AAA to get an update and then tell me they have no other available towing trucks in the area right now. I plead with them and ask them to get the other towing company to come back and that I would sign a damage waver as well as remove my front bumper just so I can get the car back to the shop. My car is sitting in a red zone at a bus stop, definitely not where I want to leave my car. They are unable to help and recommend I try to contact a local towing truck service. FU AAA, I have AAA premiere what a complete failure.

My shop has a local towing company that they deal with and since my phone is dead my mechanic tries using his new iphone4. PHONE ****ING FREEZES AND IS NOT RESPONDING. Reboot the phone somehow and sim card isn't working or getting reception. Somehow we eventually get it to work, no clue what we did. Eventually tow truck gets there and it is around 9pm at night. 8 HOURS OF ****ING HELL. The tow trucks get the car on the bed and off no problems and that is the end of the yesterdays events. tldr.

I should like to commend my shop JER Development for pulling through when I had an issue and staying way past closing to help me. Linh is the man.
The lesson here is to BE PATIENT! Should have waited for the original tuner to get his dyno fixed. Now, the two tuners will be pointing the finger at each other and you will be the one out the cost for whatever repairs (if any) need to be made. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:25 AM
litoflow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn Dik" all I can say is "welcome to the boosted world" lol!! Sorry to hear about the whole dilemma bro. Hopefully u get it all situated and she runs find. Get those leaks taken care of and make sure everything else is good to go. Good luck bro!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Did POWUH tune your car?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:32 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Originally Posted by 350z006
Did POWUH tune your car?
yup
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

They haven't found the issue yet with the car.

-Injectors are not the issue, same issue with stock injectors.
-Fuses are good
-Spark plugs good
-Fuel lines are good

The fuel pump seems to be working but they are going to pull it out for inspection tomorrow. I am hoping it is something simple as the fuel pump failed prematurely.

Last edited by dikspiel; 05-10-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

check the spacing between the top of the injectors and the cosworth rails.

are your stock injectors and the injectors you bought, do they have the correct internal spacers?

you know stuff like the orings and aluminum spacer kit

Last edited by Chebosto; 05-10-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Keep trying to start the car on a battery with low voltage may damage the Walbro pump. (happened to me)
Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If there are no ECU codes then it could be fuel system related. Step 1 check pressure... based on your last post it almost sounds like a dealer throwing random ideas at it LOL. How does inspecting a fuel pump tell you what the pressure is?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:19 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

I think he was going to pull it out to see if it was damaged that's all.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM
JDM_Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Reply: my 2011 and Beyond! build thread.