Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 PM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a forged performance motor. S1 short block is what they call it I guess
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by djamps
I've never heard of s1. How long have they been in business?
s1 or stage one, pretty much always is either eagle or manley rods. from what ive heard from machinists they're identical rods, although some shops claim there are differences. Never had both in hand so can't say for sure.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

S1 stage one all the same I guess. It's what they call it on their website. I have eagle rods.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know a local guy with a forged short block and greddy twins. Mild boost (15lbs max I think) but lots of back roads and recently some drag strip use, we hot lapped it for hours a couple times and oil temps barely moved. Seems to be holding up very well but only 7k miles and 1 year so it's too soon to tell.

Last edited by djamps; 10-16-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Resmarted
If they're the same temperature there shouldn't be any real discrepancy between the two plugs. I've heard of iridium plugs doing weird things, but again if the temps are the same it really shouldn't cause a motor to detonate.

If you had an injector clog up from crap in the fuel, that means you didn't have a fuel filter, and you didn't have a proper oil ventilation system either.

You really can't just blame your tuner, IMO the person you have to blame most is yourself. If the tuner didn't put the car together he is even less to blame. Just like vinny ten's now famous video stated, you got a half *** build put together and now you have to pay double just to fix it.
Aftermarket cars you can't just hobble parts together, especially these vq35's.

Like cux suggested, corners were cut all over the place here. I wouldn't call you out like this, but you seem to push the blame on others where you really need to realize this is your car, and your responsibility. You need to learn what everything does, what fails, and how to fix all that. Or pay someone who KNOWS what they're doing to do it all for you.
I suggest before you try cranking that thing over again with ANOTHER new motor, you take a long while and learn everything you can about this platform and properly boosting it.

Furthermore, you said you had a top of the line build aside from the block, which is why we basically narrow it down to your block being at fault. Id say for the last build of your engine the block wasn't at fault, but on the previous ones, I would be willing to bet you got oil starvation from wrong clearances.
Couldn't agree more with this post.

I see sht all the time. A shop owner/builder/tuner (Rarely do they do all 3) blows so much smoke up a customers *** so when the car fails and fails again, the customer tries to blame it on just about everything under the sun. People really need to do more research themselves, just like VTR states in the video. Pay the FEW extra dollars now instead of having all the headaches and bills later on.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 PM
nway2deepagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Resmarted;9916047]If they're the same temperature there shouldn't be any real discrepancy between the two plugs. I've heard of iridium plugs doing weird things, but again if the temps are the same it really shouldn't cause a motor to detonate.

If you had an injector clog up from crap in the fuel, that means you didn't have a fuel filter, and you didn't have a proper oil ventilation system either.

You really can't just blame your tuner, IMO the person you have to blame most is yourself. If the tuner didn't put the car together he is even less to blame. Just like vinny ten's now famous video stated, you got a half *** build put together and now you have to pay double just to fix it.

Like cux suggested, corners were cut all over the place here. I wouldn't call you out like this, but you seem to push the blame on others where you really need to realize this is your car, and your responsibility. You need to learn what everything does, what fails, and how to fix all that. Or pay someone who KNOWS what they're doing to do it all for you.
I suggest before you try cranking that thing over again with ANOTHER new motor, you take a long while and learn everything you can about this platform and properly boosting it.

Furthermore, you said you had a top of the line build aside from the block, which is why we basically narrow it down to your block being at fault. Id say for the last build of your engine the block wasn't at fault, but on the previous ones, I would be willing to bet you got oil starvation from wrong clearances.[/QUOTE

Don't forget I'm making well over 500 whp on 91oct. So I still think plugs could have something to do with it.

As far as the clog theory goes, why do you assume the debri came from the tank and that I don't have a fuel filter?

I think it would be far more likely that debri got in between the filter and injectors somewhere durring install of my stage2 cjm fuel return system. It is the installers responsibility to make sure all lines are clean and free of debri.
Yes it's my car and my responsibility, but I payed a lot of $ for a shop ( that Kyle at ipp recomended to me ) to do this install. And yes they did everything except the machine work.

I'm not saying I'm not alot at fault for the way this has all turned out for me .
I payed alot of stupid tax along the way.

I could be the poster child for how not to do this.

That's why i have spent the last 4 years learning all I can about fi.

I never said (aside from the block). The crank is the ONLY THINK I LEFT STOCK on the engine. Ipp stage2 engine with cams heads, everything!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 PM
jerryd87

not sure how many people have to tell you the same thing, bottom line your failure point? you went to ipp for a engine, then you went to a shop they recommended, bottom line failure should be noted and not repeated. do it again and we will see another thread down the line about "man you guys where right"

[QUOTE=nway2deepagain;9918155]
Originally Posted by Resmarted
If they're the same temperature there shouldn't be any real discrepancy between the two plugs. I've heard of iridium plugs doing weird things, but again if the temps are the same it really shouldn't cause a motor to detonate.

Furthermore, you said you had a top of the line build aside from the block, which is why we basically narrow it down to your block being at fault. Id say for the last build of your engine the block wasn't at fault, but on the previous ones, I would be willing to bet you got oil starvation from wrong clearances.[/QUOTE

Don't forget I'm making well over 500 whp on 91oct. So I still think plugs could have something to do with it.

As far as the clog theory goes, why do you assume the debri came from the tank and that I don't have a fuel filter?

I think it would be far more likely that debri got in between the filter and injectors somewhere durring install of my stage2 cjm fuel return system. It is the installers responsibility to make sure all lines are clean and free of debri.
Yes it's my car and my responsibility, but I payed a lot of $ for a shop ( that Kyle at ipp recomended to me ) to do this install. And yes they did everything except the machine work.

I'm not saying I'm not alot at fault for the way this has all turned out for me .
I payed alot of stupid tax along the way.

I could be the poster child for how not to do this.

That's why i have spent the last 4 years learning all I can about fi.

I never said (aside from the block). The crank is the ONLY THINK I LEFT STOCK on the engine. Ipp stage2 engine with cams heads, everything!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 PM
nway2deepagain

[QUOTE=jerryd87;9918188]not sure how many people have to tell you the same thing, bottom line your failure point? you went to ipp for a engine, then you went to a shop they recommended, bottom line failure should be noted and not repeated. do it again and we will see another thread down the line about "man you guys where right"

You made your mind up that it was the engine with no evidence to support your knee-jerk claim. No matter how much evidence I bring to the contrary you keep blaming it on ipp.

You can have whatever opinion you want of ipp, I don't care. However, saying they are the cause of my failers is irresponsible without any proof.

You are stubborn and pig-headed.

Failer#1...turner did not retigten compressor housing after clocking it.

Failer#2 tuner used same map for built engine ( original tune for stock engine)

Failer#3... Bad tune/ bad plugs/ clogged injectors, any way you slice it= tuner error.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Resmarted

[QUOTE=nway2deepagain;9918208]
Originally Posted by jerryd87
not sure how many people have to tell you the same thing, bottom line your failure point? you went to ipp for a engine, then you went to a shop they recommended, bottom line failure should be noted and not repeated. do it again and we will see another thread down the line about "man you guys where right"

You made your mind up that it was the engine with no evidence to support your knee-jerk claim. No matter how much evidence I bring to the contrary you keep blaming it on ipp.

You can have whatever opinion you want of ipp, I don't care. However, saying they are the cause of my failers is irresponsible without any proof.

You are stubborn and pig-headed.

Failer#3... Bad tune/ bad plugs/ clogged injectors, any way you slice it= tuner error.
lets straighten it out here real quick. not ipp's fault, but the terrible borderline retarded shop that they reccomended is to blame? do you see a trend that they have low quality standards? have you noticed other engines from ipp have had oil starvation/bearing issues? hell if you want send me your motor ill put it together for what they charge you. i wont properly clear the bearings either and then you can blame all the oil starvation issues on a turbo. same end result; a combo of scraped up bearings slag and a heap of aluminum to toss out.

i honestly would go to a new builder, and shop. never look back and learn up. if you got that shop to tell you what failed in your engine it would be very easy for that ipp reccomended shop to pull the wool over your eyes and cover up ipp's fckups. it sounds like your first build, which is always mistake prone understandably (me and almost everyone i know included), but that leaves you vulnerable to asshat shops dcking you over much as you have been. correct me if im wrong, but ipp is based out of texas which protects consumers less than putting a trashbag on and pretending it's a bulletproof vest. it really sounds like they are milking you, maybe intentionally, maybe just by terrible worksmanship, either way keep you sanity and stop the bleeding and go somewhere reputable.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-17-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:51 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nway2deepagain

I hope those are 3 different shops. If not, then there is nobody to blame but yourself.

This is why I always go to shops that have experience in the platform I run as well as good feedback from online communities that use them. Regular "tuners" that never do vq platforms almost always seem to make huge mistakes.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM
jerryd87

think resmarted said enough, all the proof thats needed is there history same reason alot of people hate gtm on here, sure some people but get lucky but just as many dont. you give me 100 engines to build and i wont spec anything out and bet you any amount of money 50 of them work fine.

dosnt do **** for the other 50 though, especially when i offer them a deal to rebuild there engines where i dont charge them labor..................... but ill still end up making money off new parts all because they want to listen to me..........who is making money off them vs other people who have nothing to gain what so ever by steering them in the correct direction.

that sir is what we call illogical but i guess thats also 75% of the U.S., mayby more
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by binder
I hope those are 3 different shops. If not, then there is nobody to blame but yourself.

This is why I always go to shops that have experience in the platform I run as well as good feedback from online communities that use them. Regular "tuners" that never do vq platforms almost always seem to make huge mistakes.
First two same shop. I'm now on my 3rd shop.
I couldn't agree more that my biggest problem is myself.

I just wanted to post here because you see so many build threads go silent after the build is done.

I may have been stupid, but atleast I have the guts to share my failers with you all.

The only reason I sent the engine back to tx is bcuz I expected it all to be fixed under warrenty. As it sits I have to pay less than half the cost.

Jeff I don't know if you realise that you are familiar with my latest build and tuner.

I have the momentum kit with the gt3794r upgrade, you estmated 520whp topps. Remember?

Anyway I want to switch to the gtx3582r. I don't think this comes with the 1.06 at anymore.
Do you know the part # for the one with the 1.03 housing?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
binder

Originally Posted by nway2deepagain
First two same shop. I'm now on my 3rd shop.
I couldn't agree more that my biggest problem is myself.

I just wanted to post here because you see so many build threads go silent after the build is done.

I may have been stupid, but atleast I have the guts to share my failers with you all.

The only reason I sent the engine back to tx is bcuz I expected it all to be fixed under warrenty. As it sits I have to pay less than half the cost.

Jeff I don't know if you realise that you are familiar with my latest build and tuner.

I have the momentum kit with the gt3794r upgrade, you estmated 520whp topps. Remember?

Anyway I want to switch to the gtx3582r. I don't think this comes with the 1.06 at anymore.
Do you know the part # for the one with the 1.03 housing?
Oh, it's coming back to me now. That was last spring I think. Lately with residency applications and graduation soon coming I've blanked on pretty much everything else besides medicine. I'll go read up again to refresh.

about the gtx, I don't know which part number. I'm not a fan of garrett turbos so someone else will have to help out with that. I think SOHO motorsports uses that in their kit so you could PM him on here.

edit: I can't find your old threads under the old user name. I remember the old user name though.

Last edited by binder; 10-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

meatbag at powerfab did the last round.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
binder

Originally Posted by str8dum1
AH, I knew it was in that thread but I didn't remember that was the car being tuned. I was getting bombarded with propaganda from multiple momentum owners so I couldn't tell who was having work done and who was just talking trash.

IIRC i came pretty close to estimating the HP it produced on 91 octane.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by binder
AH, I knew it was in that thread but I didn't remember that was the car being tuned. I was getting bombarded with propaganda from multiple momentum owners so I couldn't tell who was having work done and who was just talking trash.

IIRC i came pretty close to estimating the HP it produced on 91 octane.
Yes you were close, but I was limited by back pressure and I think my clutch wad starting to slip too.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Resmarted

we're not ragging on you so much as telling you how it is. its easy to get fckd over in this game, yourebetter off getting semi told off and taking something from it and saving some money/headache
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

All I can say is knowing what I know now I would have never accepted the car. I can see why you have been through so many motors now. I deal with people like this all the time. They mess up again and again and just look for someone to blame and move on to the next shop to blame.

Nothing was wrong with the machining of the motor from IPP, they build awesome motors. Like many have stated before most of IPP's motors go to cars that are not on this forum. A world does exist outside of this place

Last edited by meatbag; 10-18-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 PM
nathanwl2004

Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Nice follow up a year and a half later... modulus of necropost I believe that shizz is called.
Lol, I was mostly just trying to revive this thread because I'm looking at building in a little while, and I'm curious to see who's engines are still running.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad