Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Longevity of full builds, the good the bad

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Who installed these engines that are failing? Seems like you went to the same shop over and over to be honest. Are you the installer or maybe a friend? Or did you take it to some random "machanic"? Or was it a performance shop that works on a lot of aftermarket builds? Find someone else to do it this time which I probably stated earlier.

This is to the guy with failing motor, not you Robert_K. Just quoted because of your last sentence.
My block is fine. (Knocks on wood quickly!) I just need my fuel issue to be resolved.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
My block is fine. (Knocks on wood quickly!) I just need my fuel issue to be resolved.
Hah ya I forgot to add it was for the other dude. I tried to edit it, but may not have been quick enough. I was quoting you for your last sentence agreeing that it is the installer. That's good and hope it gets situated.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

IPP builds some of the best blocks.

Since when?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Since when?
I bet there are more IPP blocks out in the market than you believe. They just don't ***** themselves on the forums.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Most of the ones I hear about from IPP are popped.........
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

First I think the key factor into this thread needs to be determined if any block popped is due to a machine shop, builder, installer, tuner or, driver error. You can't point the finger to an engine failure due to the builder because the installer used the wrong spark plugs. I don't care who built the engine.

With that being said... Are these popped IPP blocks due to IPP's building? Cause let's be honest... It's not that difficult to put together an engine. Most of us don't due it ourselves due to; time, tools, garage, confidence, knowledge or, numerous other reasons.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Here is another theory....

people are cutting corners to buy a shortblock for 2500, I bet they are cutting corners elsewhere as well.

Honestly, the bubble shops are not the ones to be getting your engine from. Ever see the VTR clip?

How many bubble shops have come and gone? Especially in the mid-a, florida, and west.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

people are cutting corners to buy a shortblock for 2500, I bet they are cutting corners elsewhere as well.

Honestly, the bubble shops are not the ones to be getting your engine from. Ever see the VTR clip?

How many bubble shops have come and gone? Especially in the mid-a, florida, and west.
Yeah... IPP has been around for years and still doing it. And they started back in the 300ZX era! I bet he is one of the few that have been doing Nissan builds longer than the majority.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah... IPP has been around for years and still doing it. And they started back in the 300ZX era! I bet he is one of the few that have been doing Nissan builds longer than the majority.
Just because someone has been doing it for a long time doesn't necessarily mean they're still in the game because they're good. It just means they have a good business structure. Look at momentum. Great products, dead shop/product line. Look at turbonetics, **** turbos, huge name, tons of money been around for years.

Yeah, like you said it is possible they are cutting corners elsewhere. But the problem to me is that they make enough money building other engines they can probably stay in the Z game. Not like the bubble shops that drown out because all they try to cater are Z's, they have other means of staying afloat and keeping a good reputation.

Frankly I've heard more failures from IPP blocks than anything else lately, that's not something I want to just sweep under the rug.

Furthermore there are a few members on here (midz off the top of my head) who have spent quite a bit on their build and am willing to bet didn't cut ANY corners on their build with the IPP block and still had a mechanical failure.

If an IPP block runs well for you, then fantastic. I don't wish anyone any kind of failure just like anyone else here (why we're even having this conversation). But in general if it looks like sh**, smells like sh**, tastes like sh**, it probably isn't cake.

Last edited by Resmarted; 10-14-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM
nway2deepagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I think the key factor into this thread needs to be determined if any block popped is due to a machine shop, builder, installer, tuner or, driver error. You can't point the finger to an engine failure due to the builder because the installer used the wrong spark plugs. I don't care who built the engine.

With that being said... Are these popped IPP blocks due to IPP's building? Cause let's be honest... It's not that difficult to put together an engine. Most of us don't due it ourselves due to; time, tools, garage, confidence, knowledge or, numerous other reasons.
No yes yes yes yes .
Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by bruthaboost
^ regarding your first engine. I know it's old history now, but something doesn't sound right. A loosely "clocked" compressor coover won't cause you to lose oil. The back plate of the compressor is bolted to the CHRA. Rotating the compressor only rotates the cover.

I'm sorry to hear about your engine woes. This is primarily the reason I let no one touch my motors but me or close friends.
It will if your driving driving it around for 1500-1900 miles like that. The seal will go on you .
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by nway2deepagain
It will if your driving driving it around for 1500-1900 miles like that. The seal will go on you .
2 or three of the bolts were missing and others were loose.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by graffkid732
Who installed these engines that are failing? Seems like you went to the same shop over and over to be honest. Are you the installer or maybe a friend? Or did you take it to some random "machanic"? Or was it a performance shop that works on a lot of aftermarket builds? Find someone else to do it this time which I probably stated earlier.

This is to the guy with failing motor, not you Robert_K. Just quoted because of your last sentence.
I wanted sts to do the install themselves since I live only 20 miles from them. They wouldn't do it so I had to use thier vender( walking distance from my house, lol)

Big mistake letting him install and tune my ipp fully built engine.

After that I used a shop recomended to me by bryan at ipp.

Now I'm going with another shop here where I live.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM
nway2deepagain

people are cutting corners to buy a shortblock for 2500, I bet they areo cutting corners elsewhere as well.

Spared no expense on engine, FUlly built, complete with cams, head work,plenum spacer,
Headers, so on.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted sts to do the install themselves since I live only 20 miles from them. They wouldn't do it so I had to use thier vender( walking distance from my house, lol)

Big mistake letting him install and tune my ipp fully built engine.

After that I used a shop recomended to me by bryan at ipp.

Now I'm going with another shop here where I live.
Then why not try another engine builder and see how that goes? Dynosty and VTR seem to be having no problem keeping VQs built and running. Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ipp dosnt actually build anything he sends the engines out, also if you look a bit alot of people have had problems with ipp engines. oil starvation can very well be the builder IE trying to build the engine too tight i still dont understand why people do this. sure detonation can cause it as well by hammering the bearings but we will never know, although looser clearances and thicker oil will be more forgiving to det as well. seeing what others have posted in regards to ipp engines i would say its more then likely multiple failures on multiple people

like cux said most people who post about them complain about them popping, sure there may be some good ones but alot of people post about failures. sorry but if i pay someone im not going to chance that i might get a bad one its easier to simply just go to a place like dynosty or another shop that dosnt have reported failures. at the end of the day ipp might have a bunch we dont see but so does every other shop you go with who has a proven track record and that is not ipp
IPP builds some of the best blocks. Re-read his post. The engine builder has ZERO to do with engine failure. He mentions; oil starvation and miss matched spark plugs installed causing detonation. That sounds more like the installer/tuner not the engine builder.

Last edited by jerryd87; 10-14-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:27 PM
jerryd87

if someone popped an engine from wrong spark plugs there is something serious going on and probably not the spark plugs. i can tell you right now the stock spark plugs have no issues holding up to over 550 hp to the wheels, they dint start to get too hot till about 600 to the wheels. fact of the matter is it might not be hard to assemble the engine but it takes effort to do it right and knowing MULTIPLE engine platforms to determine the correct clearances. ill say it a million times, the vq35 has bearing almost as big as a big block chevy, and bigger then a chevy 350 that regularly uses .0035 clearances for bearings. if you try and use a stock like .0018 clearance for double or triple the stock power your plain ****ing stupid and deserve a popped engine because guaranteed your generating more heat which means more expansion of metals. not to mention pounding the bearings harder which needs thicker lubricants.

just like a mk19 grenade launcher at work, you dont use think water like clp to lube it and take 500 ft lbs of force pounding back and forth, it uses lsa-t with teflon and about as thick as wheel bearing grease the thin crap will destroy it and you will see this with anything that takes massive pressures, you need thicker lube the thin stuff just gets pushed to the side.

you dont see a diesel engine running 0w20 do you? exactly

Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM
jerryd87

you bought a sts turbo kit and ipp engine, yah bro sorry but you where cutting major corners otherwise you would have spent money on good products. you might have spent alot of money and bought SOME quality products but you still cut corners.
Spared no expense on engine, FUlly built, complete with cams, head work,plenum spacer,
Headers, so on.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a few customers with the Dynosty built engines, and they are all as good today as they were the day they were built.

One customer really beats the car to death, from drag to high speed runs and autocross. Still going strong after many thousands of miles. In the end, a track record is something that IMO must be considered when making a decision on what shop to get a built block from.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:37 PM
nway2deepagain

Originally Posted by jerryd87
you bought a sts turbo kit and ipp engine, yah bro sorry but you where cutting major corners otherwise you would have spent money on good products. you might have spent alot of money and bought SOME quality products but you still cut corners.
Do I have to list my entire build list? I couldn't possibly remember everything I bought.
I spent around 25000 on kit, rebuild($3200 of that) , install, tune, and supporting equipment,

I have halteck and osirus for tunning, cjm stage 2 return system, injector dynamics 1000cc injectors, 340lph pump, catch can , high performance radiator, and a lot more.

I built this engine to handle over 700whp easily. Can u guys please quit sugesting I used some crappy parts. Especially pluggs!!!!!

Two miss matched plugged were installed. Don't ask me how.

If you want complete history of my latest build look at my build thread... Momentum gr3794r build.

Quick Reply: Longevity of full builds, the good the bad