Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

200mph in 1 mile

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 AM
rpm06g35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah patricks celica is crazy and he is a really down to earth guy. Damn gus you had to drop the cat out of the bag like that?? hahaha Oh well Mike will come explain what happened soon.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^And neither was close to 190mph..
Perhaps he ran into some sort of mechanical problems?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by rpm06g35
Yeah patricks celica is crazy and he is a really down to earth guy. Damn gus you had to drop the cat out of the bag like that?? hahaha Oh well Mike will come explain what happened soon.
LOL

Yeah Patrick is a really col guy and that Celica is sick, he is fast
Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM
rh_334

Originally Posted by westpak
nothing classified about them here they are, only 2 bikes and a 900 AWHP Celica broke 200 mph

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Zw&output=html
Thanks for not holding out on us!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cant see at work, what were the traps?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
cant see at work, what were the traps?
1. 175.904
2. 177.858
Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 AM
thescreensavers

Here are some pics

P1070333.jpg?t=1262558297

Mikeunder.jpg?t=1262711580

P1070344.jpg?t=1262558299

They said they had the Tag Heuer timeing system there, but when Mike(CrazyVQ35tt) went to get the slips they just wrote them down on a sticky note.. so not impressed with that.

As the Other Mike(RPM06g35) said, we will let Mike(CrazyVQ35tt) explain what happened.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
rpm06g35

I will explain. First off know that the car was ready to go. We made consistent pulls on the dyno to achieve a good dyno numbers. We made gradual pulls to attain the final 639 at 20psi. We figured the car was well enough ready for the 200 mark.

We show up at 7am for the event and it was 43 degrees!!! And with a constant head wind of 7-8 mph( against the direction of run).

First pass was to be mild and feel the track out (lots of debris) and so cold traction issues were very noticeable. Time slips were not there (non existent) and were told we were in the 170's, acceptable for a shake down and 11psi run.However there was a noticeable amount (half the engine bay) of oil spray. The catch can had over flowed and blew out nearly a quart of frothy purple milkshake. After we drained the catch can into a bottle we let the bottle settle to check for contamination. 10 minutes later it had nothing in it but oil (no coolant). We didnt feel a threat and after a good clean up we were ready to. We tried a band aid of wrapping some small towels around the breather(to contain spray). We then let the car settle for an hour and lined up for the second pass.

Second pass was to go to 16psi, run looked good and from the pits everything seemed okay. At the end of the run mike pulled over and popped the hood on the return lane, then proceeded to the pits. The car blew out so much oil it was unreal. He explained the reason for pulling over is that he thought the car was on fire!!!!!! The oil was everywhere. All over the turbo/ manifold, in the front wheel on the caliper and covered the drivers side of the bay. It was bad and he looked at me and said " this is getting to the point where its just too unsafe" At that point we pulled the plug and we were on the trailer for the rest of the event.

At that point everyone started to brainstorm the cause of the problem. What the final thought of all parties was oil airation. Mike has the bad *** girdle but some of the first ones out came non drilled/tapped for the windage tray. So the windage tray was never put on the car. This combined with running a 2+ quart oil cooler, he is basically oil-bathing the crank. Meaning the oil is being whipped up by the crank (creating froth).

All in all it was a learning experience. Plans as of now are to drop the motor, remove the girdle and install the tray. We are also going to separate the valve covers (eliminate crossover tube) and install a catch can per side (2 10an lines per side). If we dont get a substantial amount of oil we are going to run a siphon tube to the intake of each turbo. We would like to try and pull vac on the top side of the crank. He is also looking into a belt driven vac pump set up.

We gave it a good shot but guys the thing that doesnt make sense to mike nor I was the fact that it made all the pulls on the dyno with no issues. The whole time on the dyno the catch can barely had smoke coming out.

Please help us here with some brainstorming? Let us know guys Thanks Mike
Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by rpm06g35
I will explain. First off know that the car was ready to go. We made consistent pulls on the dyno to achieve a good dyno numbers. We made gradual pulls to attain the final 639 at 20psi. We figured the car was well enough ready for the 200 mark.

We show up at 7am for the event and it was 43 degrees!!! And with a constant head wind of 7-8 mph( against the direction of run).

First pass was to be mild and feel the track out (lots of debris) and so cold traction issues were very noticeable. Time slips were not there (non existent) and were told we were in the 170's, acceptable for a shake down and 11psi run.However there was a noticeable amount (half the engine bay) of oil spray. The catch can had over flowed and blew out nearly a quart of frothy purple milkshake. After we drained the catch can into a bottle we let the bottle settle to check for contamination. 10 minutes later it had nothing in it but oil (no coolant). We didnt feel a threat and after a good clean up we were ready to. We tried a band aid of wrapping some small towels around the breather(to contain spray). We then let the car settle for an hour and lined up for the second pass.

Second pass was to go to 16psi, run looked good and from the pits everything seemed okay. At the end of the run mike pulled over and popped the hood on the return lane, then proceeded to the pits. The car blew out so much oil it was unreal. He explained the reason for pulling over is that he thought the car was on fire!!!!!! The oil was everywhere. All over the turbo/ manifold, in the front wheel on the caliper and covered the drivers side of the bay. It was bad and he looked at me and said " this is getting to the point where its just too unsafe" At that point we pulled the plug and we were on the trailer for the rest of the event.

At that point everyone started to brainstorm the cause of the problem. What the final thought of all parties was oil airation. Mike has the bad *** girdle but some of the first ones out came non drilled/tapped for the windage tray. So the windage tray was never put on the car. This combined with running a 2+ quart oil cooler, he is basically oil-bathing the crank. Meaning the oil is being whipped up by the crank (creating froth).

All in all it was a learning experience. Plans as of now are to drop the motor, remove the girdle and install the tray. We are also going to separate the valve covers (eliminate crossover tube) and install a catch can per side (2 10an lines per side). If we dont get a substantial amount of oil we are going to run a siphon tube to the intake of each turbo. We would like to try and pull vac on the top side of the crank. He is also looking into a belt driven vac pump set up.

We gave it a good shot but guys the thing that doesnt make sense to mike nor I was the fact that it made all the pulls on the dyno with no issues. The whole time on the dyno the catch can barely had smoke coming out.

Please help us here with some brainstorming? Let us know guys Thanks Mike
So to understand correctly, your engine does not have a baffle to catch the oil thats is flying from the crank? I am no expert but I was under the impression that every engine must have that, I havent done much research on it though. That means oil is flying all over the place and perhaps because of the crank pressure that oil is making its way to the heads (in the wrong areas) and out of the openings. I both valve covers vented to atmos.. and notice a lil drop of oil on the outlets occasionally, so I assume with no baffle its much worse.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 01-05-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
rpm06g35

correct way worse. Sad thing is we wont be able to get back to work on the car for another month. Mikes business is swamped and he loves to make the dinero. Talk soon guys mike
Old 01-06-2010, 04:32 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

I haven't had time to comment so thanks Mike for explaining what happened on Sunday. The windage tray seems to be the problem as far as we can tell. I will be pulling the engine in the next few weeks and drilling and tapping the girdle. I will also be looking for a set of bigger turbos for more boost/power.

This was definitely a learning experience and a lot of fun there's nothing like pushing your car through every gear with your foot to the floor watching the speedometer fly past 160 and you're still accelerating pretty awesome.

This was one try of many more to come thanks for commenting guys and I will be posting up the upgrades as they happen.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
str8dum1

so Hal's street car can get to 149mph in a standing 1/4 mile. How fast can you trap you 1/4 mile? Be interesting to see where his car would stand with his single turbo.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
thescreensavers

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NMf2CbE1YQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NMf2CbE1YQA&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM
thom000001

Not exactly apples to apples.....a tire that will give you the traction off the line at the drag-strip, prolly won't hold up to the high speeds that long too well.....gotta have some give and take as far as a sticky enough tire for traction vs strong enough to handle the speed that long (a 200mph standing mile will still take like 16 seconds).

And a soft tall sidewall, will sway like a **** in the mile. They sway at the 1/4 to the point of not being safe so imagine going 4 times further.

just my .02

tom

so Hal's street car can get to 149mph in a standing 1/4 mile. How fast can you trap you 1/4 mile? Be interesting to see where his car would stand with his single turbo.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
go-fast
Banned

so.... you ran 191 with no oil issue,but this time at 175 you soaked the engine bay?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:20 AM
str8dum1

i'm sure hal could trap 140+ with like R888's with a soft launch. you only need those drag tires for the aggro launch. XKR said he trapped like 160mph with a rolling start from the water pit on 20" street tires.

When I switched from street tires to drag tires, my 60' was the only thing to change significantly. I was still trapping within 2 mph in the 1/8th

In the end, mid 600hp is no where near enough to move a 3600lb car to 200+mph. Hal has 775 on a DD to run almost 150mph in the 1/4, and if the OP only had 650 on a DJ, thats a huge difference.

Originally Posted by thom000001
Not exactly apples to apples.....a tire that will give you the traction off the line at the drag-strip, prolly won't hold up to the high speeds that long too well.....gotta have some give and take as far as a sticky enough tire for traction vs strong enough to handle the speed that long (a 200mph standing mile will still take like 16 seconds).

And a soft tall sidewall, will sway like a **** in the mile. They sway at the 1/4 to the point of not being safe so imagine going 4 times further.

just my .02

tom

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-07-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
thom000001

Oh I agree. Takes the Viper (granted worse aero) and Ford GT guys (much better aero) just about 800rwhp (on TT setup not SC) to hit 200mph in the mile.....and they got a whole lot more tq.

Tom

i'm sure hal could trap 140+ with like R888's with a soft launch. you only need those drag tires for the aggro launch. XKR said he trapped like 160mph with a rolling start from the water pit on 20" street tires.

When I switched from street tires to drag tires, my 60' was the only thing to change significantly. I was still trapping within 2 mph in the 1/8th

In the end, mid 600hp is no where near enough to move a 3600lb car to 200+mph. Hal has 775 on a DD to run almost 150mph in the 1/4, and if the OP only had 650 on a DJ, thats a huge difference.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
UpRev
Banned

A drag slick will grow as you gain tire speed. Helping you not only at the launch, but on the big end when you don't want to shift another gear.

Thats how SW gets the MPH he does in the standing mile. It's something unreal in gain, but keeps him in the power band.

As far as the oil issues. You may want to look into running a dry sump system. The money you've spent so far, that style set up isn't out of the question. Margin of safety vs. oil on the tires at 200mph.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM
thom000001

SW also went to an odd height tire.

Plus gearing of the supra > Z/G for those speeds (they are staying in 5th gear)....and revving the bugeesus outta the motor.

tom

Originally Posted by UpRev
A drag slick will grow as you gain tire speed. Helping you not only at the launch, but on the big end when you don't want to shift another gear.

Thats how SW gets the MPH he does in the standing mile. It's something unreal in gain, but keeps him in the power band.

As far as the oil issues. You may want to look into running a dry sump system. The money you've spent so far, that style set up isn't out of the question. Margin of safety vs. oil on the tires at 200mph.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
CrazyVQ35tt

Originally Posted by go-fast
so.... you ran 191 with no oil issue,but this time at 175 you soaked the engine bay?
It pushed oil out last time just not as bad I changed intakes and shortened the lines going to the catch can I think this let the oil reach the can faster.

Originally Posted by thom000001

just my .02

tom
I agree that would be a scary ride. I am running R888 and they feel great at high speeds

The car weighs 3150 with me 3330 and it made 632rwhp @ 19psi I was planning on running 22 to 23psi that would put me around 700 for example a Corvette weigh 3350+ driver and the car is making 700 can go 200mph I'm thinking this car will need around 800rwhp to make up for less aero.

Last edited by CrazyVQ35tt; 01-07-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 200mph in 1 mile