Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown HR engine!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midz350

I will be installing Haltec for the next motor (have to go to Bahrain or Kuwait to tune it ) and hope to have better luck with it.
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with the original motor.

I am sure Hal will fly out there and tune the Haltech for you. Of course I will need to come supervise.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can imagine that the reflash on the turn key is conservative as hell. people are jumping on the tune but, i doubt that was the cause.

i'd say abuse/general failure over a reflash that had been perfect for a few months like the OP said.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
Certainly a GREAT deal depends on the quality of the reflash tune, but from what I have seen of Osiris vs say something like the Haltech, while there is no boost control or overboost protection per se, many of the other tables are all present. There is full and complete control of timing and fueling if you know what you are doing (and Sam are Jared are more than just competent tuners).
I feel like people are trying to protect their reputations or brands here. No one is saying that GTM or anyone there isn't a highly qualified tuner, or that we shouldn't buy products for them. Nor are we saying that GTM is responsible for a motor detonating. Things fail, and anyone in this forum should understand that.

If this was hindsight and he was asking if he should get Haltech or a reflash, would you suggest a reflash over a Haltech with tuning? Why or why not?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:16 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
The price some people pay to play.

Its unfortunate but all part of the game.

Hope the future plans and $$$ to be spent work out better than this.

I actually know of a GTM car with a reflash that has been running 500whp strong for a little while now, so Im not gonna go blame GTM for this - can you believe it?
I never intended to blame GTM for this , but all I want is to find out with this thread is to know what went wrong, giving that alot of HR's are running ~500whp for over a year now (knock on wood ).
Old 01-14-2010, 07:21 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by rcdash
Limitations of a reflash (no boost control or monitoring) obviously needs to be addressed with at least a gauge if not some external failsafe.
That one and knock control on all rpm range. I think the overboost fuel cutoff is more important especially on boosted (Turbo to be specific) car. Only an EMS base can give you that. Overboost protection that boost controller gives you is not the same as an ECU/EMS overboost fuel cutoff. Who know the OP over boosted a few times and not really the tune.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 AM
midz350

What I understood for now is that if it were the tune the engine wouldn't make it throw the first day/week!!!

I took good care of the engine in terms changing/checking oil and coolant and monitoring the gauges.

Maybe it was a bad tank of gas, a rod/piston decided to gave up or just a f***ing bad luck!!! hope to find out.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM
westpak
SFZCC

when people start to realize that the VQ's were built for NA and not FI you will realize that boosting them is a crapshoot, you have cars that were built from the factory for boost and have no boost cutoff's, running off MAF controlled ECU's........... but they were built for FI, closed deck and iron blocks ah the good old days take a VG30DETT in the 300ZX running 600RWHP all day with bigger turbos, boost controller and flashed/tuned ECU

basically we are dumbasses for doing this and worse yet still do it when seeing stories like this, not the first and not the last
Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
SmallTuner

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune with the original motor.

I am sure Hal will fly out there and tune the Haltech for you. Of course I will need to come supervise.
heheheheheh i dont like this
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

The alternatives-

M3- Kinda pricey to mod, and also not made for FI
RX8- No. Just no...
VW R36- Neat car but not my style
Corvette- Cool, but kind of an old mans car in some ways.
S2000- Not a bad choice, but they have no *** down low.
Supra- Old and hard to find
Hyundai coupe thing- Getting better but still a Hyundai
Mustang- I don't date my sister, so we can throw that out.
New Camaro- No a bad choice

I'm sure I'm leaving some out, but there really aren't that many choices that are realistically that great.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM
SmallTuner

What I understood for now is that if it were the tune the engine wouldn't make it throw the first day/week!!!

I took good care of the engine in terms changing/checking oil and coolant and monitoring the gauges.

Maybe it was a bad tank of gas, a rod/piston decided to gave up or just a f***ing bad luck!!! hope to find out.
no my friend trust me, even if its a flash, u have to tune it in ur place...
Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 AM
SmallTuner

midz350

just get the Haltech with the WB and ill help by phon, no need to get to bahrain or kuwait .....

just pm me, no need to pay for tuning, ill let u tune it your self ...
Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
midz350

I alreday got the Haltech (a friend has it) and will PM you when I get everything worked out.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 AM
NETSHARK

Midz350 1st of all sorry about ur loss, it might be a bad tank of gas because of the lower octane/bad gas u guys have over there, I am still surprised u wanna come over to Kuwait or Go To Bahrain and Get a Tune while you Have MC-Performance in Jeddah, He`s AEM, HKS, Haltech, UpRev Certified Tuner so whats up ?? never heard of the 900+WHP Supras He Tunes, never heard of him at all Husam Al-Tayeb ? he`s even here just PM him SMS Tuner
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't this title be blown FI HR?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by jmark
Shouldn't this title be blown FI HR?
Why?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:54 AM
midz350

Originally Posted by NETSHARK
Midz350 1st of all sorry about ur loss, it might be a bad tank of gas because of the lower octane/bad gas u guys have over there, I am still surprised u wanna come over to Kuwait or Go To Bahrain and Get a Tune while you Have MC-Performance in Jeddah, He`s AEM, HKS, Haltech, UpRev Certified Tuner so whats up ?? never heard of the 900+WHP Supras He Tunes, never heard of him at all Husam Al-Tayeb ? he`s even here just PM him SMS Tuner
Yea I know Husam, but he doesn't tune the Haltech, actually a friend of mind took his Z to Husam and he couldn't tune the haltech and had to install F CON Vpro
Old 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yea I know Husam, but he doesn't tune the Haltech, actually a friend of mind took his Z to Husam and he couldn't tune the haltech and had to install F CON Vpro
I guess Husam prioritizes his financial arrangement with HKS over what his customer wants...

The Haltech has no locks or license requirements like the FCON VPro (don't have to be an authorized dealer). Any tuner can tune it and it is very easy, intuitive.

Last edited by rcdash; 01-15-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:38 AM
SmallTuner

ehehehe ull be safe with me trust me
Old 01-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be happy to set up a group tuning session if there is interest. I am of course very experienced with Haltech (having been through and assisted Haltech with their own dealer training) and am also an experienced and licensed Uprev Pro Tuner with reflashing capabilities. If we schedule multiple cars on one trip it would greatly reduce travel expenses per tune.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
The price some people pay to play.

Its unfortunate but all part of the game.

Hope the future plans and $$$ to be spent work out better than this.

I actually know of a GTM car with a reflash that has been running 500whp strong for a little while now, so Im not gonna go blame GTM for this - can you believe it?
your friend probably wont let you touch his car, cause i know you could make it go kaboom.

Quick Reply: Blown HR engine!!!!!!!!