Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sneak Peak At Vortech System

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:40 PM
ForceInduction

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vortech is using an Inline 155 Walbro fuel pump and their standard FMU, so you don't have to worry about wrong FMU adjustments. On top of this they are using a boost retard box and an air-to-air intercooler, that will help control detonation. The G35 is available, but custom intake work is needed.

I have no pics or real RWHP numbers yet.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:23 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by ForceInduction
Vortech is using an Inline 155 Walbro fuel pump and their standard FMU, so you don't have to worry about wrong FMU adjustments. On top of this they are using a boost retard box and an air-to-air intercooler, that will help control detonation.
So let me get this correct, you are saying you simply bolt this kit on and there is no tuning needed, no worrying about dyno'ing it to get A/F mixture correct?
Old 10-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by ForceInduction
Vortech is using an Inline 155 Walbro fuel pump and their standard FMU, so you don't have to worry about wrong FMU adjustments. On top of this they are using a boost retard box and an air-to-air intercooler, that will help control detonation. The G35 is available, but custom intake work is needed.

I have no pics or real RWHP numbers yet.
Retard box =
Walbros are good pumps
Old 10-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Ralphus

Yeah, me and all my Mitsu Eclipse people used Walbro pumps and I never heard of one failing. Wonder if it's in tank or in-line, in tank would be sweet, but probably not an option...

*INTERNET*

Last edited by Ralphus; 11-02-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Forced

Originally posted by ragtopz
that is the only thing i dont like about those kits. they seem to be the only one i can recall off the top of my head that requires you to tap the oil pan.
For those of you concerned with this, I could do my speach about why this is better, but I also want you to be aware that the hole can always be plugged if you ever want to take the supercharger off. (Not that you would want to after it is on!)
Old 11-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Forced

Originally posted by ravaz
Had to replace the belts 3 times. Car was a Nissan Maxima, it was a Stillen kit, but used the Vortech v2 blower. I'm sure the belts being screwed were probably my own fault, alignment was probably off or something like that, it happened twice in a few short miles, but then lasted about 20k miles till the next change.
I just want to point out that the Maxima system was Stillen engineered. Vortech just supplies the supercharger.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:09 PM
Forced

Originally posted by TheSVTKid

So here is the questions.
1. What is the "real" RWHP numbers?
2. What is the Fuel system?
3. Is there a G35 option?
4. Is there a intercooler? Pics?
5. What is the upgrade options?
6. Will a motor failure be covered, if the motor injests blower parts?

EA
We do not quote RWHP numbers because there are too many variables involved such as the dyno (dynojet, eddie current Mustang dyno), the weather that day, the altitude of the shop. This is the same reason we do not do 1/4 mile testing. The fuel has been covered. The G35 will be out when we get one in the shop and bolt it on to verify. Charge cooler pics will be available soon, I will go out and take them on one of the cars we have. Right now there are no upgrade options, except for changing the supercharger pulley to a smaller one to make more boost. (by doing this, you will have to make sure your air/fuel is OK). We do not have an extended powertrain warranty at the present time. I dont see the motor injesting blower parts because of the cooler in the way. I am putting the official release up on the website Monday. I will let you guys know when it is up.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Forced

Originally posted by zland
So let me get this correct, you are saying you simply bolt this kit on and there is no tuning needed, no worrying about dyno'ing it to get A/F mixture correct?
That is how Vortech does 95% off our business. True, bolt-on, and safe systems that will last. Some like to get their own dyno tune because they may want more power (sometimes less).
Old 11-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Rama

What is the other 5%?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:54 PM
Loren04G35

One Maximas, I've heard loud SQ's that sould liek S's and one S that is as quite as an SQ out there. I have talked to Steve at Vortech about it and it is just minute production differences in the gears. They have no idea of how they are going to sound until they are installed in a unit. This is what I like about ATI. There consistancy is a lot better. Plus the Vortech requires an oil feed and drain line to be run, but the ATI is self-contained.

Originally posted by D_Nyholm
Can't wait!!! Hopefully that is a SQ trim blower on there so we don't have to deal with all the whine of the regular S trim.

I sent an e-mail to vortech a while back and never got a response. Hmmm..
Old 11-01-2003, 07:09 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Forced
We do not quote RWHP numbers because there are too many variables involved such as the dyno (dynojet, eddie current Mustang dyno), the weather that day, the altitude of the shop. This is the same reason we do not do 1/4 mile testing. We do not have an extended powertrain warranty at the present time.
1. How in the world do you get crank hp without pulling the motor? In otherwords, did you actually pull a motor and dyno it or did one at the wheels and calculated backwards what you estimate it would be at the crank?

2. Have you ever offered an extended powertrain warranty on any motor Vortecs have been on? Is it a possibility it could be offfered on the Z at a later date?

3. Are you seeking smog certification in Calif. for your Vortec? If yes, how long would you think it would take for it to get approval? If you buy a Vortec before it is Ca. smog legal and it later becomes smog legal, is your existing SC then smog legal?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 11-02-2003, 10:59 AM
TheSVTKid

We do not quote RWHP numbers because there are too many variables involved such as the dyno (dynojet, eddie current Mustang dyno), the weather that day, the altitude of the shop. This is the same reason we do not do 1/4 mile testing.

I dont see the motor injesting blower parts because of the cooler in the way.
Sorry for the confusion, though I wasn't talking about injesting parts through the intake. I was talking about through the oiling system. If the blower has a internal failure, and the metal goes through the oil system of the entire motor. Will the motor be covered by Vortech, since it would be a direct cause?

If you do no RWHP numbers, or 1/4 testing. How do you come up with the "estimated" Crank HP numbers? What dyno did you do your testing on? What is the percentage of drivetrain loss you factored? I think it's been pretty standard practice for most aftermarket companies to tell you what a real world rear wheel gain is. Since the "percentage" of crank HP leaves a lot of room for speculation.

How do you make the standard FMU work on a returnless system? And if there is a intercooler, why the retard box?

Sorry for all the questions,
EA
Old 11-02-2003, 11:28 AM
350BRICK

For those of you concerned with this, I could do my speach about why this is better, but I also want you to be aware that the hole can always be plugged if you ever want to take the supercharger off. (Not that you would want to after it is on!)
I'll bite...why is it better? And keep in mind i have a very elementary knowledge of engines.....
Thanks in advance...
Old 11-02-2003, 02:15 PM
etx

"And if there is a intercooler, why the retard box?"

I'm not sure what the timing advance is at WOT on the Z, but remember the VQ35 is a semi-high compression motor. I am sure nissan advanced the timing to make some extra power and that advance may not sit well with boost. The IC can't save you (for example) from 8 psi and 28 digress of advance. Something around 15 would probably be safe.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:53 PM
joust75

Originally posted by 350BRICK
I'll bite...why is it better? And keep in mind i have a very elementary knowledge of engines.....
Thanks in advance...
I'll answer this from what I think. You do not have to do two separate oil changes. I dont like the idea of doing a separate oil change just for the blower.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:16 PM
damen

if your running mobile 1 syn. will that be ok for the supercharger?
Old 11-02-2003, 08:26 PM
SlamMan

Originally posted by damen
if your running mobile 1 syn. will that be ok for the supercharger?
Yep.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:59 AM
joust75

I can speak for Zland on this too: The fact that this kit is a true bolt on (not requiring any tuning) is extremely appealing to me. ATI may be a great product, but leaving the tuning up to the buyer and choice of installer is a BAD idea. It is what has led to the blown engines and the bad feelings some have about ATI. If you are going to offer a kit it should not require tuning, Its just too easy to screw it up!!!! I am sure ATI is working on a better fuel management system now.
If vortech didnt exist I would chose Stillen over ATI because it requires no tuning.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
spazpilot

spoke to vortech today and was told that the kit is available for 5895.95 for the polish version. the 412hp and 355 tq is at the crank not wheels. 8psi boost for 412 crank I think I am going to go with the TT setup. Guy here in dallas is running 400rwhp at 8.5psi, but I would have to say that is a pretty cheap price for the vortech setup.

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak At Vortech System