Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Sneak Peak At Vortech System

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:57 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by spazpilot
spoke to vortech today and was told that the kit is available for 5895.95 for the polish version. the 412hp and 355 tq is at the crank not wheels. 8psi boost for 412 crank I think I am going to go with the TT setup. Guy here in dallas is running 400rwhp at 8.5psi, but I would have to say that is a pretty cheap price for the vortech setup.
I cant post the price here but you can go to superchargersonline.com and get the phone number. They are selling the Vortec much cheaper than what you posted. BTW, they sell ATI and Vortec Sc'ers. They even have a list of recommended installers which might be helpful to some of you. I cannot say how good those installers are except to say they are recommended by them through past experiences.

Talk to Tony and tell him I recommended you to them. Maybe they will give me a discount later on?

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 11-03-2003 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The V2 in the Maxima was not loud at all... actually it was as if it wasnt there sometimes (at idle).. but thats all dependent of the exhaust system and the gearing used for the pulleys and such.. (the V1s were like noisy crickets..)

i assume vortech is using the FMU with the fuel discs?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:04 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Chebosto
The V2 in the Maxima was not loud at all... actually it was as if it wasnt there sometimes (at idle).. but thats all dependent of the exhaust system and the gearing used for the pulleys and such.. (the V1s were like noisy crickets..)

i assume vortech is using the FMU with the fuel discs?
When I searched the forums at superchargersonline.com, the only negative posts that were made about Vortec was the V2 sometimes does not work optimally below freezing temperatures due to close tolerances. Go there and read the post yourself to do it justice. Besides that, the Vortec systems had little complaints.

In comparison, they have forums for many other SC companies since they sell many different types. If you read many of the others, there is many posts related to major complaints. Again, it is best you read them and determine which are valid and which are not.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:34 AM
joust75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by spazpilot
spoke to vortech today and was told that the kit is available for 5895.95 for the polish version. the 412hp and 355 tq is at the crank not wheels. 8psi boost for 412 crank I think I am going to go with the TT setup. Guy here in dallas is running 400rwhp at 8.5psi, but I would have to say that is a pretty cheap price for the vortech setup.

The Polish version huh? Is that the one that comes without the impeller?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Forced

Originally posted by 350BRICK
I'll bite...why is it better? And keep in mind i have a very elementary knowledge of engines.....
Thanks in advance...
Here it goes:

The maintenance-free lubrication system uses engine oil that is pre-filtered and injected directly onto the drive gears. We chose this configuration as opposed to a "self-contained" set-up because engine oil provides faster warm-up, excellent reliability and superior cooling. The lubrication oil benefits from continuous filtration, being routinely changed along with the engine oil (instead of an additional maintenance action). This system also offers the best opportunity for thermally stable operation. Vortech firmly believes this is the best method to feed and care for a supercharger.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Forced

Originally posted by Rama
What is the other 5%?
We do sell tuner kits which come without fuel upgrades or computer programming.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:38 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I suggest to anyone that has a turbo or this type of SC to let the car run for 30 secs before driving and idle for 30 secs too before shutting it off to allow lubrication, especially for a turbo since it spins so fast and will just be running without lubrication if you dont do it.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Forced

Originally posted by zland
1. How in the world do you get crank hp without pulling the motor? In otherwords, did you actually pull a motor and dyno it or did one at the wheels and calculated backwards what you estimate it would be at the crank?

2. Have you ever offered an extended powertrain warranty on any motor Vortecs have been on? Is it a possibility it could be offfered on the Z at a later date?

3. Are you seeking smog certification in Calif. for your Vortec? If yes, how long would you think it would take for it to get approval? If you buy a Vortec before it is Ca. smog legal and it later becomes smog legal, is your existing SC then smog legal?

Thanks, Jeff
1. Sorry, I should have expanded a little. Vortech uses an Eddie Current Mustang Dyno...this is an accelerameter (spelling?) which is better for tuning. This puts out a less number than let's say a DynoJet. We don't like to quote that number because then it seems that our power is down and then we have to explain why...
So, we take a baseline of the car, then do another pull with the supercharger on and then that gets us a percentage. Then we add that percentage to the factory rated HP.
2. We have never offered a powertrain warranty. Maybe in the future.
3. We go for 50-state smog legality on all our street systems. This one will get it, but I am sure it will be next year before we get the EO number.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:42 AM
ZZtopp

$5100 for the polished verison, $4800 for the satin version at SC online. Not bad.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:46 AM
etx

^ 412 at the crank is about 350 at the wheels with a mtx, about 300 with an atx.

I just called the superchargersonline guys, i guess they are all on thier way to sema. I don't know if I like the idea of the fmu. I have used the vortech sfmu and it was the best rising rate fpr I have ever used! But the fmu is only adjustible by installing disks in it. I guess they could cut a custom size disk for the kit that would supply the right amount of fuel.

I heard people are having problems with running high pressure fuel through the stock injectors. How big are our injectors? How much fuel pressure do we need to get enough fuel? injectors max out at 100 psi, so if the injectors are under 30lbs i don't think we can give the motor enough fuel without upgrading the injectors. I am really concerned about the fuel setup. I am excited to get this kit, but I'm not going to get it if the fuel system is not rock solid.

Last edited by etx; 11-03-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:47 AM
Forced

If you have a little time to do some reading, check out:
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...ts/inside.html
Old 11-03-2003, 11:49 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Steve Padfield:

SportZ magazine is doing a comparison of SC kits for their upcoming article. They want to a Vortec Z in that comparision.

Please contact me or Dave at SportZ magazine concerning this issue. The test will be done in December but we need to get the cars lined up for testing before then.

The ATI and Stillen cars are already confirmed for the test date.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:58 AM
etx

thanks. this will be my first supercharging adventure. I'm a turbo guy, but supercharging the Z seems like a better idea to me right now.

Do blower setups use a blow of valve?

edit: that link dosen't have anything about your fuel setup.

Last edited by etx; 11-03-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:18 PM
moog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's definately a G35 demand. It'd be nice to have a kit for our cars instead of needing customer fabrication for the intake piping. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much more R&D. I'll volunteer my car as the guinea pig!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:29 PM
Forced

OK, here you go...
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/news/2003_350z.html
Old 11-03-2003, 12:40 PM
ravaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This charge cooled system will increase horsepower and torque from 387/274 stock to 412/355 supercharged**.

I think you got a misprint there, it's 287 not 387. Where is the picture of the intercooler?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Forced

Originally posted by ravaz
This charge cooled system will increase horsepower and torque from 387/274 stock to 412/355 supercharged**.

I think you got a misprint there, it's 287 not 387. Where is the picture of the intercooler?
Oops. Need a new proof reader. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:05 PM
etx

Steve, should you be on your way to SEMA too?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:21 PM
vincenzobar

I WANT BUT AMN BROKE, WHAAAAAAAAAAA!

By the time i can get it, it will be carb legal!!!! I can't wait!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:23 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I just got off the phone with Steve Padfield at Vortec. He is a nice guy and spent a lot of time answering all my questions.

I was impressed with emphasis on reliable hp as a goal and not maximum hp at any cost for the sake of advertising. Hopefully their SC kit for the 350Z will prove to be as reliable as other products they have released in the past.

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak At Vortech System