Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
IslandZavage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who rebuilt your turbos from 18 to 20g's?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
who rebuilt your turbos from 18 to 20g's?
Forced Performance upgraded them to 20G's. Then with the last motor fail, they had to be cleaned out and bearings replaced by Precision Turbo.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
IslandZavage

i was looking into their (Forced Performance) HTA upgrade.. thnkx
Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 PM
xcessiveskllzz

We def have to meet up soon...weather has been nice
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SP, Any hints on the projected roadmap for the ProEFI from both a hardware and software perspective.

With the (Beta) public software that has been released is there plans to enhance the look and feel of the software? Obviously functionality comes first but u have to admit it is not the prettiest interface.

OEM DBW has internal safety mechanisms. When the ProEFI controls the DBW what safety measures are in place.

When the ProEFI "controls" the CEL light if an internal fault arises eg: Failed OEM Sensor will the CEL light still come on.

Does the CAN gauge have a back light that can be triggered when u turn the headlights on or at least a back light that can be maually turned on.

Can you get the CEL light to flash when it detects knock. Similar to Apexi Power FC

Last edited by MR RIZK; 04-06-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:41 AM
1ZweetZ

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
SP, Any hints on the projected roadmap for the ProEFI from both a hardware and software perspective.

With the (Beta) public software that has been released is there plans to enhance the look and feel of the software? Obviously functionality comes first but u have to admit it is not the prettiest interface.
What are you comparing it to? The user software is the nicest I have used.

http://www.proefi.com/Software.html
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
What are you comparing it to? The user software is the nicest I have used.

http://www.proefi.com/Software.html
Mr. Rizk is using the Haltech. The ProEFI software has some nice features but it's still got a long way to go compared to the rock solid, slick GUI of Haltech's ECU manager (can be downloaded off the Injected web site if you wish to compare - or just look at the help file). One example: the process for a firmware update on the Haltech involves about 3 clicks and total 30 seconds of time and can all be done via e-mail. Two clicks and you can see the difference between two maps. Unlimited undo/redo. Data playback over the maps. etc. Haltech has had a decade though to implement all this stuff and much of it isn't critical. I think an end user should be able to load a firmware update though.

I have a virtual gauge display with the Haltech software that reconnects when I start my car. I'd be interested to know how the ProEFI software behaves going in and out of standby mode on a laptop while connected to the ECU.

The CAN gauge looks like it needs a back light from the video. Is it easy to read in person and does it have an alarm feature of some kind that can be triggered by the ProEFI (particularly if the flashing CEL isn't possible)?

Last edited by rcdash; 04-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by MR RIZK

OEM DBW has internal safety mechanisms. When the ProEFI controls the DBW what safety measures are in place.

When the ProEFI "controls" the CEL light if an internal fault arises eg: Failed OEM Sensor will the CEL light still come on.

Does the CAN gauge have a back light that can be triggered when u turn the headlights on or at least a back light that can be maually turned on.

Can you get the CEL light to flash when it detects knock. Similar to Apexi Power FC

What do you mean by a roadmap??

ProEFI has every safety feature for DBW that the factory does. EVERY ONE!!

On the Z/G you cannot control the factory CEL because it is CAN controlled but you can wire in your own light and it will show any problem with all the sensors, over boost etc. You can set up anything in the fault manager to trigger the CEL. Also, you can put the ProEFI into diagnostic mode and the CEL light will flash codes to let you know what triggered it just like factory.

The can gauge is backlit and lights up with ignition power. There is not a seperate wire for illumination.

I do not believe that the CEL light flashes with knock. Trust me that the knock control works VERY well!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
rcdash

Can the analog inputs of the ProEFI 128 be used for any and all 5V analog sensors (pressure, temp, etc) and used as triggers for failsafes? This is my one huge gripe with the Haltech that remains unaddressed. I have a bunch of sensors used with innovate gear but I'd love to ditch all that and have it monitored and data logged with the ProEFI. Calibration curves can be set up for the inputs, correct?

With the USB CAN cable, the PC can be used for datalogging, correct? I run a carPC and have it connected all the time to the ECU - will that still work?

Last edited by rcdash; 04-06-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by rcdash
Can the analog inputs of the ProEFI 128 be used for 5V analog sensors (pressure, temp, etc) and used as triggers for failsafes? This is my one huge gripe with the Haltech that remains unaddressed.

With the USB CAN cable, the PC can be used for datalogging, correct? I run a carPC and have it connected all the time to the ECU - will that still work?

Yes, the analog inputs can all be used for temp, pressure or a simple switch input as well as a potentiometer. What would you be trying to monitor?

For example lets say that you put a pressure sensor in the radiator pipe, then you can set it up that if it reaches a certain psi it triggers a fault. THis is useful for example if you blow a head gasket going down the track. The fault manager can then lower your boost, turn on the CEL, invoke a rev limiter etc. You can do this with any of the sensor inputs and the 128 unit has 32 of them!! It also has 8 digital inputs.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Yes, once you have the can cable you can use your PC to log!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM
rcdash

I have extra sensors (all 0-5V) for oil pressure, oil temp, coolant pressure, coolant temp, water pump pressure (for aquamist W/M injection setup), water pump flow, transmission temp, air intake temp (pre and post spray nozzles), crankcase pressure, fuel pressure, ignition supply voltage (have boost-a-spark on there still) and I think that's it. I'm using an innovate aux box and two SSI-4 input boxes for datalogging currently but this setup cannot "do" anything. It's impotent because it's disconnected from the Haltech. No I/O box. No failsafes (well Haltech allows 1 output, which I use for meth failure and/or knock but that's it).

Looking forward to the announcement on traction control - hope it comes soon... If so, will have to wait till after ZdayZ, but then this is looking too tempting!

Last edited by rcdash; 04-06-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:46 PM
1ZweetZ

Mr. Rizk is using the Haltech. The ProEFI software has some nice features but it's still got a long way to go compared to the rock solid, slick GUI of Haltech's ECU manager (can be downloaded off the Injected web site if you wish to compare - or just look at the help file). One example: the process for a firmware update on the Haltech involves about 3 clicks and total 30 seconds of time and can all be done via e-mail. Two clicks and you can see the difference between two maps. Unlimited undo/redo. Data playback over the maps. etc. Haltech has had a decade though to implement all this stuff and much of it isn't critical. I think an end user should be able to load a firmware update though.

I have a virtual gauge display with the Haltech software that reconnects when I start my car. I'd be interested to know how the ProEFI software behaves going in and out of standby mode on a laptop while connected to the ECU.

The CAN gauge looks like it needs a back light from the video. Is it easy to read in person and does it have an alarm feature of some kind that can be triggered by the ProEFI (particularly if the flashing CEL isn't possible)?
You can update the firmware with 'a few clicks' with the ProEFI as well. Unlimited redo/undo can get you into just as much trouble as not having it at all. You have undo/redo on the ProEFI as well, but it is latched to the current open window (a VERY good thing).

The rest is opinion. I love the live data trace display...saves a TON of time and saves the history in it's buffer, so you don't have to commit to saving the log until you know you want to keep it. The rest is very simple to read, and doesn't allow for you to miss much...things just stand out at you, so you know the basic configuration without having to dig for it.

An alarm trigger requires the guy behind the wheel to react. The ProEFI just reacts for you and let's you know that it reacted. Therefore the driver can't ignore things like low oil pressure at high rpm, or overboost above a preset desired amount, lean conditions above a certain amount and boost pressure etc....
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
rcdash

So you've updated firmware yourself then? If not, I'd really like to hear it from someone that either develops or supports the unit - no offense. I've been reading the supra forums, learned a lot about what's good and what's not and that is still an unknown for me. I don't live close to any tuners so remote flashing is important for me.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can you confirm the 128 box works on a 2003 G/Z, as in having done it Might have to pay to play in the near future
Old 04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
1ZweetZ

So you've updated firmware yourself then? If not, I'd really like to hear it from someone that either develops or supports the unit - no offense. I've been reading the supra forums, learned a lot about what's good and what's not and that is still an unknown for me. I don't live close to any tuners so remote flashing is important for me.
Several times.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
1ZweetZ

Originally Posted by str8dum1
can you confirm the 128 box works on a 2003 G/Z, as in having done it Might have to pay to play in the near future
I have seen them run several 03's on the 128.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Mine is an '03.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

excellent news. you never happened to have a haltech did you? LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 PM
rrmedicx

Nope. But I have experience with the ProCharger FMU, UTEC, SplitSecond box and have driven a VPro car. Now ProEFI of course. Never owned or drove a Haltech car.

Quick Reply: ***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***