Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 PM
speedsniper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review. i have the 48pin, getting the Flex fuel next.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:37 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedsniper
Great review. i have the 48pin, getting the Flex fuel next.
I take it you have lots of E-85 out there?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:13 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
Not so concerned anymore - I won't be tuning the car anyway. I did want to have the hook up to the carPC for datalogging and that's an 800x600 screen - hope it will be workable. The CAN gauge and check engine LED will complete the install. Now let's get that CAN integration out the door!
There is a new display screen that is larger than the can guage, will display 4 things at once and allows you to change settings via 5 buttons on the front panel. Due out very soon!!

I will try to post up a pic today.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 AM
rrmedicx

Oh Geez, now you tell me.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:48 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
There is a new display screen that is larger than the can guage, will display 4 things at once and allows you to change settings via 5 buttons on the front panel. Due out very soon!!

I will try to post up a pic today.
Great to see ongoing development. I liked the compact nature of the CAN gauge but looking forward to seeing this new device.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:01 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Oh Geez, now you tell me.

Sorry Randy, I just found out about it this week!!
Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 AM
rrmedicx

Is it on their site yet? Any pics would be great. Get some sneak peeks will you!

BTW, got my alignment..took Nissan almost 2 days, but it is awesome. Less slipping and more get up and GOOOOO!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:58 AM
IslandZavage

will the new screen fit in the NAV hole in the dash? price?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 AM
rrmedicx

Here is something else that I discovered in my travels:

This is what I wanted:

This is what I got:

If you look closely at the second photo, you will see that it is not actually 85% Ethanol, but rather somewhere between 70% to 85% which concerned me. So i called Larry and asked what are the safe margins of Ethanol I must run to be considered safe for high boost?

Anything above at least 60% keeps me in the safe zone for high boost application. So...in a nutshell, even if I have some regular 93 pump fuel in my tank, so long as I can add enough E-85 to get the total volume Ethanol percentages over 60%, I can run high boost.

Just thought I'd share that little tid-bit of info.

So keep an eye out at the pump...as it can be truly deceiving.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
IslandZavage

Can the ProEFI be setup too automatically switch from hi boost to low boost if the ethanol content is below 60% as a saftey measure? It can already switch maps based on ethanol content low/high.

(I'm basing this on if u have it(ProEFI) setup too control boost as that's what I want to do and just let the ProEFI handle boost instead of an external controller)
Old 04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Can the ProEFI be setup too automatically switch from hi boost to low boost if the ethanol content is below 60% as a saftey measure? It can already switch maps based on ethanol content low/high.

(I'm basing this on if u have it(ProEFI) setup too control boost as that's what I want to do and just let the ProEFI handle boost instead of an external controller)
Excellent question. One that I already thought of and got the answer from Larry at SP.
The answer is yes, the ProEFI can control boost based on Ethanol content, but its an All or Nothing type of deal. You will be Forced to run the maximum that your fuel content will allow.

So for example if you run 93 octane and your safe range to boost is between 15 psi and say 19 psi. It will always run at 19 psi.
And once you put in E-85 and cross the 60% threshold for Ethanol content it will run the highest boost setting you have it tuned for...in my case it would run 25 psi all the time and it would be out of my control. At least running with the I-Boost control ****, I can turn the boost down as I wish. I just have to be mindful of what Ethanol content I have and what Boost psi setting I choose to run.

I prefer to be in control of that function.

But, as Larry said, if they (the tuners) don't feel that you are responsible enough to properly manage the boost according to Ethanol content, they will lock it down and let the ProEFI control everything.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 04-10-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
IslandZavage

Hmmm, I would love to not have to worry about it, but I do want some control of my boost settings! I'm just worried about being in the middle of a spirited run or on the track in hi boost and the ethanol drops to 60 or below. Wouldn't the iboost allow u to adjust ur boost even with the ProEFI automatically going to the max of hi or low ethanol content? Like an overide or something (boost ****).I really want only wastegate,low, and hi.it would be great to let it automatically let it adjust and let me use the **** to just run wastegate setting no matter what the ethanol content.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
rrmedicx

Hmmm, I would love to not have to worry about it, but I do want some control of my boost settings! I'm just worried about being in the middle of a spirited run or on the track in hi boost and the ethanol drops to 60 or below. Wouldn't the iboost allow u to adjust ur boost even with the ProEFI automatically going to the max of hi or low ethanol content? Like an overide or something (boost ****).I really want only wastegate,low, and hi.it would be great to let it automatically let it adjust and let me use the **** to just run wastegate setting no matter what the ethanol content.
Not to worry something else I discovered. If you ever bought a drink at the club and the bartender throws a little extra something on top, your first taste will tell you all the alcohol sits at the top until the drink is shaken or stirred. Not much different in your gas tank. I began my trip home to NY with a full tank of E-85 and as ir ran down I replaced it with 93 octane. So with 1/3 a tank of E-85 I topped it off with 93. I watched as the ethanol % drop steadily from 66% down to 30%. Still blending.

Here is what I found out. The more I drove, the higher the Ethanol content became, giving me the impression that the Ethanol was floating on top of the 93 octane fuel. Very interesting.

Anyway, my point being, if u are at the track with access to only 93 don't be surprised if that small amount of E-85 you drove in with doesn't surprise you with a higher % of Ethanol at the end of a few runs.

Don't be afraid my friend...come to the dark side. LOL.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
IslandZavage

Lol! I'm already there. Waiting to see about this new screen option (maybe it was a good thing they sold out of the CAN guages at the sale when I called and bought the 128).

So will the iboost **** override the hi/lo octance boost settings? Either way I'm getting it just to give me the flexibility if I change my mind.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Island, do you have the 128 unit currently installed?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:17 PM
IslandZavage

no its not installed yet...

Last edited by IslandZavage; 04-10-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:22 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sending your Z to SP or is someone in FL doing the install?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
IslandZavage

Shop here in FL....
Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Not to worry something else I discovered. If you ever bought a drink at the club and the bartender throws a little extra something on top, your first taste will tell you all the alcohol sits at the top until the drink is shaken or stirred. Not much different in your gas tank. I began my trip home to NY with a full tank of E-85 and as ir ran down I replaced it with 93 octane. So with 1/3 a tank of E-85 I topped it off with 93. I watched as the ethanol % drop steadily from 66% down to 30%. Still blending.

Here is what I found out. The more I drove, the higher the Ethanol content became, giving me the impression that the Ethanol was floating on top of the 93 octane fuel. Very interesting.

Anyway, my point being, if u are at the track with access to only 93 don't be surprised if that small amount of E-85 you drove in with doesn't surprise you with a higher % of Ethanol at the end of a few runs.

Randy, that is because the Z gas tank is in two halves called a saddle tank. The pick up and pumps as well as the fill side is the pass side and the drivers side is just extra storage. Therefore if you fill it up with all pump gas after running E85, the E% will drop suddenly and then slowly rise as the remaining E85 from the drivers side mixes with the pass side. Hope that made sense!!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

You can do it either way, either let the ProEFI control boost levels based on E% or if you choose, you can have a **** and set the boost level yourself. We are writing some new code now so that if you do choose to set the boost yourself, the ProEFI will still set boost cut based on E% so that you cannot accidentally set the boost too high for your E% and hurt the motor!!

Quick Reply: ***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***