Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:00 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***

Well, as many of you already know, I went ahead and opted for the ProEFI upgrade 128 pin box for my most recent rebuild. I chose the services of Sound Performance simply because that's who I wanted to work on my car. Nuf Said.
Anywho, in regards to the 128 box, for those who are on the fence about it, I just thought I would share my review thus far.

FLEX FUEL aka 110 octane
I am so impressed with this feature alone. This is a cheap way to make great power and for little $$$. When you think about it $2.25/gallon (price in NY) for 110 octane is ridiculously cheap. The ProEFI allows me to at will choose between 93 octane pump gas and E-85 aka Flex Fuel. For the purpose of my trip back to NYC from Chicago (800+ miles), I opted to switch over from E-85 to 93 octane because that would minimize my need to stop for fuel.
Then upon arriving to NYC I have access to E-85 which I can then use to romp all over any one who crosses my path with almost 700 ponies provided me thanks to SP.

The only disadvantage that I can see with E-85 is that you will require more of it to make the power you desire. The motor will need to burn almost 30% more fuel when running E-85 when compared to regular 93 octane. So your fuel system better be up to snuff to meet this demand. I am running the CJM Twin pumps and 1200cc to meet the demand. Just something to keep in mind, better to overbuild your fuel system, just to be safe.

Popular problem areas with other EMS units:
Hot vs. Cold Starting:
Hot starts and Cold starts seems to be a problem that plagues many aftermarket EMS devices and sometimes tuners. Well, with regard to the 128 box, the car now starts like it came directly from the dealer. 2 turns and Vroom for BOTH hot and cold.

On/Off Throttle Exchange aka Drive-ability:
In the past I have experienced issues when getting off the gas. One EMS that comes to mind is the UTEC. Every time I got off the gas, the car would drop flat on its face. Most likely a tuning issue, but even when adjusted by a second tuner, it never really got better. Not a problem for the 128 pin box. Again, the transition of on/off throttle is silky smooth.

Boost Control:
The boost for my application is handled by a ProEFI boost solenoid which again is controlled by the ProEFI 128 box. I can run anywhere from 15 psi to 25 psi at will. I am using 1 bar springs.
***Only stipulations are understanding that for higher boost (19-25psi) I must maintain a minimum of 60% Ethanol to keep things safe. Anywhere between 15 and 18 I can run 93 pump gas and be safe.

Can Gauge Benefit:
I only wish I knew about the CAN Gauge before I went and spent $$$ on a plethora of gauges which can basically all be trashed. I could have saved a ton of cash. The CAN gauge is the 1 for all and all in one gauge showing everything from Radiator pressure, to boost pressure in kpa or psi, est hp, est 1/4 mile time, to common things like oil pressure, air temp, trans temp/pressure, AFR, etc...etc... It is incredible.

Idle Control:
I have some experience with the ProEFI 48 pin box prior to upgrading and the idle control was terrible. (moreso from the poor tuning than the device itself (Not SP)) Larry took care of the roving idle and got it rock solid at 950 rpm, even with the 272 cams. No need to set it at 1200 rpm like some folks, wasting even more precious fuel. Idle control is there and can be manipulated as my good man Larry can attest to. He also was able to resolve the momentary issue I had with the car stalling as I downshifted to a full stop. A few clicks of the keyboard and that issue was resolved.

Advanced Knock Control:
I don't even know its there, but I am glad to know it is actively protecting my engine.

Two Step Feature: (Drag Racing Enthusiasts)
This is something new to me that I will have to learn to deal with. Based on my demands expressed prior to tuning, I informed Larry that this car will definitely be seeing some drag racing as well as road course time. In pursuit of helping me decrease my 1/4 mile times he preset the 128 box with active 2-step.
For those that don't know how this works: basically so long as the clutch is depressed I can put the throttle to the floor and the rev limiter will only go as high as 4k rpm (or however high I choose to set it). Once the clutch is fully released the car can progress to full rev limit or however I desire.

Just in case you forgot, or didn't catch the other thread, here is the demonstration of E-85 in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e1IeAdw9QM

More to come as I get more seat time.
Comments or questions welcome.

Bottom line...128 box is AWESOME and the FlexFuel Mod is the best!!!!

Last edited by rrmedicx; 04-01-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up...I only have the baby 48 box, but love it just as much...

Enjoy the new setup....

Tom
Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Great review.

God I wish I had stopped by SP when I was in Chicago couple of days ago.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
rrmedicx

Thanks Tom. My write up only elaborates on maybe 10% of what the ProEFI can do, but these are just some of the more common issues.

Good luck with your car
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice Randy, happy for you, enjoy it!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
xzotklr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a long road my brother!!! Glad to see your on the other side of the fence now.
The PRO-EFI 128 sounds like a winner!!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice review - thanks for taking the time - good to know the idle and hot/cold starts are solid - the 128 unit with a fully functioning CAN gauge is killer. Few ?: Do you have widebands installed? How do the AFRs behave around town? Decel fuel cut working (noticed the backfires, popping, so...)? You have a **** for boost control? Looking forward to traction control review when its available (and speed dependent boost, etc)! Would love to see pics of CAN gauge, boost control ****, install, etc...

Last edited by rcdash; 04-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

that video is so full of WIN!!.. now thats a video to watch!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
konrad

nice, if you dont mind me asking, what does your engine build consist of?? and do you wan to get rid of all your gauges???
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 PM
IslandZavage

Congrats , glad too see your happy and awesome results...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by rcdash
Nice review - thanks for taking the time - good to know the idle and hot/cold starts are solid - the 128 unit with a fully functioning CAN gauge is killer. Few ?: Do you have widebands installed?
Yes, The ProEFI comes with it's own wideband and in addition I have an AEM already installed. The ProEFI wideband is in the driver side downpipe, and the AEM in the pass side. The ProEFI side is a tad richer than the pass side, but this is normal.
How do the AFRs behave around town?
Absolutely perfect. To properly answer that question, it actually depends on which fuel I am running, it may appear richer than normal (I think I got that right) when running E-85, but otherwise spot on. Cruising was right on point as well. I should know I was cruising across teh country for 800 miles. There is no bogging down from being too rich.
Decel fuel cut working (noticed the backfires, popping, so...)?
That is a function of tuning. Larry asked me if I would like to get rid of the backfires, and that it would be just a few clicks of the keyboard. I said, leave the backfires. Hehe
You have a **** for boost control?
SP installed a simple ****, similar to that of a Bass or Subwoofer controller. It allows me to adjust Boost on the fly. I can flip the CAN gauge to the Boost screen and then use the **** to adjust anywhere from 15 psi - 25 psi.
It doesn't get any better than that.

Looking forward to traction control review when its available (and speed dependent boost, etc)!
My luck, Jason called on the day I arrived to Chicago and advised that traction control was about 1 week away. (give or take a day) Unfortunately, the wheels were already in motion for me to pick up the car. I guess I can always try to either access the software upgrade remotely (if I purchase the tuning cable, or just go back later on in the year. Not really sure. I would love to have that feature, but I am just so glad to have the car back I think I want to enjoy it for a while.
Would love to see pics of CAN gauge, boost control ****, install, etc...
I will try to shoot a quicky vid to demonstrate how it works. Maybe tonight. Just not sure how the CAN gauge will look on camera.
See answers in RED above.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 04-02-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:37 AM
IslandZavage

traction control a week away... niiiiiiiice... i dont know man, if i were u id jump on that update ASAP..lol.. I must have watched the supra traction control video 100 times. Glad to see they were on their word about actively working on it..
Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 AM
MR RIZK

What are some of the key differences between the PE128, VIPEC and Haltech.

Also what do u mean about buying the "tuning cable" I thought that the ProEFI has publically available software and does not require an additional purchase from what I have read.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 AM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
What are some of the key differences between the PE128, VIPEC and Haltech.

Also what do u mean about buying the "tuning cable" I thought that the ProEFI has publically available software and does not require an additional purchase from what I have read.
you have to purchase the cable to be able to tune it yourself w/out a dealer.. not sure about the Vipec but here's a good read : https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...s-pro-efi.html

Last edited by IslandZavage; 04-02-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:31 AM
MR RIZK

Thx.. I have read that thread previously. For instance the Vipec supports dual fuel maps where the Haltech does not. It is stuff like this that is nice to know about and hence the comparison with the ProEFI

There used be demo software available on the proefi site apparently but is no longer there. I have asked SP to see if this is still available so i can have a play with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

The software is still available on the ProEFI site for download. Click on the red box on the main page!!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Andrei

That's some impressive torque and hp on pump gas.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I am running the CJM Twin pumps and 1200cc to meet the demand. Just something to keep in mind, better to overbuild your fuel system, just to be safe...

agreed, i am going to use 2000cc injectors

I only wish I knew about the CAN Gauge before I went and spent $$$ on a plethora of gauges which can basically all be trashed
lolol..... yah i head you man... ahh fack it... looks nice for the show at least

Also agreed on leaving the backfires.. haha

excellent review, videos, thread man... great news all around!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:42 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice for a 4000$ EMS definitely balla
Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by str8dum1
very nice for a 4000$ EMS definitely balla

What is $4000?? Certainly not the ProEFI!!!!

Pro128 ECU & harness: Sale Price $1999

Quick Reply: ***ProEFi 128 Unit w/FlexFuel Review***