Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
qqqqball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
maybe i am confused in what yoaure tryign to say..but FYI the turbos have been and are off-the-shelf garrett turbos. They are not batardized gt35rs turbos like APS. Heck it ships from garrett in garrett's packing
The 650s who was on the same gt35R using a .82 turbine housing and an E compressor cover, Stage 1 single turbo kit 3'' downpipe, 3'' exhaust, and ProEFI ECU.
i am saying that IOT keep down AIT and back pressure you need a larger housing
Old 05-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james12345pt
We have attempted to boost to ~18 psi but actually see a decrease in hp at these levels and see AITs going above 170+ degrees. The torque continues to go up at these levels but Hal at Injected feels that the temps are too high. At this point, I don't want the risk the health of the engine to achieve higher torque numbers especially at the cost of topend hp. I spoke with Injected this morning and they are planning on posting they findings including dynos, datalogs and other info soon. They are in the process of packing up and heading to zdayz so it will be a few days until they are able to post this info.
What kind of numbers were u seeing at 18psi? Are u also running dual pump?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fuel delivery should not be any problem even with the maxed out gt35r with 1 pump and good base fuel pressure

but ya, love to see the dyno sheets
Old 05-19-2010, 04:00 PM
G3po

Originally Posted by qqqqball
do your self a favor and buy the larger hotside before you install, http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GTH it will just barely fit, but you will need to put a heat blanket on it

I think you would use this version with the T3 flange and 1.06AR.
No flange changes.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GTH

Last edited by G3po; 05-19-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 PM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
What kind of numbers were u seeing at 18psi? Are u also running dual pump?
I will let Injected post the dynos because I don't know the exact numbers. I am running a single walbro, cjm stage 1 rfs and 800cc injectors. I can tell you that fuel is not an issue.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

^^ yeah, the fuel wouldnt be limiting you that way.
Did you tried changing exhausts.... just to see what difference it makes.. or just take the hks off for a bit

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-19-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM
qqqqball

Originally Posted by G3po
I think you would use this version with the T3 flange and 1.06AR.
No flange changes.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GTH
yup your right i just did a quick post
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Elperuano

Wow... Still kinda confused if thats the limiting factor of the pl gt35r kit or if there's something wrong. To achieve the number u want on pump gas doesnt seem hard at all. Seems very attainable for mine if i had a built block but the one tuned by IP posted 450 and that was the same set-up on a stock block also... Unless im missin sumthin here did the one IP tuned on the g35 that did 450 the same set-up as the PL gt35r?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Elperuano
Wow... Still kinda confused if thats the limiting factor of the pl gt35r kit or if there's something wrong. To achieve the number u want on pump gas doesnt seem hard at all. Seems very attainable for mine if i had a built block but the one tuned by IP posted 450 and that was the same set-up on a stock block also... Unless im missin sumthin here did the one IP tuned on the g35 that did 450 the same set-up as the PL gt35r?
truthfully, with no head mods a stock block with teh same kit should make power easier than a built long block (heads/cams the same) if the compression was lowered on the built block.

The stock block will have higher compression making power easier. So if you're only tuning in a rhelm that is ok for a stock block to handle it will produce power easier with the higher compression.

now with the boost he's running, he should be seeing more power so there has to be something wrong or damaged.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Elperuano

So its either his BUILT block thats limiting him or something wrong/damaged? He did say he had all tests done to check if block is ok and its fine so it must be safe to say sumthing is wrong/damaged with turbo or somewhere along the lines of it..
Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 PM
zmedic16

I think we should hold speculations till injected posts. I would be very disapointed if I was to buy a pl kit and still have to change turbo housings to brake 500whp. Turbonetics made 53xwhp/tq at 18psi with meth. Good luck n hopefully is an e z issue to resolve.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 AM
james12345pt

Originally Posted by Elperuano
It is the same car. The car was tuned by Injected in the stock form. It is easier to produce power with the higher compression stock engine than with the low compression built engine but you run into detonation issues alot sooner with the stock engine and destroy the engine at higher power levels. I don't want give misinformation because of lack of knowledge but the data that has been collected points to backpressure at the hot side of the turbo which is limiting the production of power and sending the AITs though the roof. I agree with the poster; I also felt that the turbo would easily produce the power levels I wanted to achieve after the power I produced in stock form without having to run race gas and a crazy boost controller/ wastegate setup like Intense used to achieve it's power. I sincerely thought that the turbo would continue to flow up to 14-15 psi and I would hit the ~500hp mark. Finally, I have research to possibility of swapping to an 1.06 Turbine Housing on the hot side but it looks extremely laggy for only a small increase in topend power on similar platforms.

Last edited by james12345pt; 05-20-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

"I produced in stock form without having to run race gas and a crazy boost controller/ wastegate setup like Intense used to achieve it's power."

it was just a regular boost controler with a typical boost solenoid built in the ems...the same crazy wastegate setup is what you have... 600whp on low compression built engines has also been achieved by other shops at~18-20ish psi with the haltech on race gas.... U should be able to get 520-530 on a Dj.
if i read correctly too, youa re using the HKS exahust right?, why not try changing i to a 3" or take it out for a dyno run to see what kind of gains from a retriction i may give you. I think thats a one thing that you are missing from having to have the setup mach closer the widebodyg35

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-20-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya I wouldnt swap to the 1.06 unless PL gave it to you for free.

Since Intense said they had conversations with IP, do you know what was said or any resolution? I can imagine all they said was 'it is what it is, every car is different'

But ya, pulling the exhaust off is one easy test to reduce suspects. But if that doesnt change anything, maybe this will have to reshift people's expectations of this sized single turbo on pump gas.

Last edited by str8dum1; 05-20-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Ya I wouldnt swap to the 1.06 unless PL gave it to you for free.

Since Intense said they had conversations with IP, do you know what was said or any resolution? I can imagine all they said was 'it is what it is, every car is different'

But ya, pulling the exhaust off is one easy test to reduce suspects. But if that doesnt change anything, maybe this will have to reshift people's expectations of this sized single turbo on pump gas.

i am not sure what are peoples expectations are on a single turbo...u are the one that has been trying to insinuate stuff with out getting your facts straight about the "U don't state that that's done on race gas and boost spiking to 29". or some kind of deception As its been said 35r's consistantly put down over 600whp on ANY platform....Z, Supra, EVO....whatever the platform. Nevermind the fact that kit went 11.0 @ 128mph. What RPM does it make peak boost? A 35r should be on the gate by about 3k (7psi spring).
on the twingt37r u didnt get your facts straigth either, the kit wasnt close to being done and number were achieved on an engine failing which had to be sent back to the "defunct?" AEBS to get fixed.
NOt sure what convo u think Intense and Injected had, they jsut asked for basic questions and offered help..obviously they did not install the kit so im sure they didnt pull anything off it, and they are busy for zdayz
Maybe too put c16 and see at what psi he is reachign 600...shoudln't be any different than other 600whps pl setups from other shops. Before considering changing hot side, ttry going with meth kit and reachign the c16 numbers ....

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-20-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 AM
james12345pt

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
"I produced in stock form without having to run race gas and a crazy boost controller/ wastegate setup like Intense used to achieve it's power."

it was just a regular boost controler with a typical boost solenoid built in the ems...the same crazy wastegate setup is what you have... 600whp on low compression built engines has also been achieved by other shops at~18-20ish psi with the haltech on race gas.... U should be able to get 520-530 on a Dj.
if i read correctly too, youa re using the HKS exahust right?, why not try changing i to a 3" or take it out for a dyno run to see what kind of gains from a retriction i may give you. I think thats a one thing that you are missing from having to have the setup mach closer the widebodyg35
Please show me these other shop's dynos that have achieved these power levels!!! Also, is it a " normal setup "to run the wastegate like Intense during the 650 hp dyno run? Where are the objective power levels/ dynos to support the powerlab claim that this kit can achieve 653whp with a simple semi-built short block and a upgraded fuel-system as they boldly advertise on their website??? Finally, there has been several builts that have produced over 500whp with 2.5 inch dual exhausts. Even, Jtain has proven that the exhaust is not in issue with the limits of this kit by running it with an open pipe.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:10 AM
james12345pt

[QUOTE=str8dum1;8396898]Ya I wouldnt swap to the 1.06 unless PL gave it to you for free.

I have no spoken direct with powerlab; I have made several attempts to contact them with the phone number that is posted on their site but noone answers the phone. They can easily pm me here at this site but I have not heard from them. I have spoken with Injected and they stated that they have spoken but not resolution was reached. Hal will be able to post the objective findings after this weekend on the engine, pressure testing of the system, dynos, AITs, and backpressure on the hot side of the system. After this I hope that Powerlab will be willing to discuss some sort of resolution agreement. I have already spoke with Injected and they are willing to go the extra mile to see their customer happy.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also felt that the turbo would easily produce the power levels I wanted to achieve after the power I produced in stock form without having to run race gas and a crazy boost controller/ wastegate setup like Intense used to achieve it's power. I sincerely thought that the turbo would continue to flow up to 14-15 psi and I would hit the ~500hp mark.
WTF are you talking about? What's crazy about a Tial 44mm wastegate (the same as in all PowerLab kits, including yours) and a boost solenoid controlled by a ProEFI 48PIN EMS? Please explain/clarify for us.

Your choice of words for the thread title was poor and misleading enough, but now this?!?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 AM
james12345pt

Direct from Powerlab's website as of May 20, 2010 10:14 am EST:

"The GT35R Turbo Kit from PowerLab offers the most efficient and highest horsepower potential capabilities on the market. Whether you’re looking for approximately 400RWHP on a stock motor or 653RWHP on a semi built motor and upgraded fuel components, then the PowerLab GT35R Turbo Kit is the kit for you."
Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Direct from Powerlab's website as of May 20, 2010 10:14 am EST:

"The GT35R Turbo Kit from PowerLab offers the most efficient and highest horsepower potential capabilities on the market. Whether you’re looking for approximately 400RWHP on a stock motor or 653RWHP on a semi built motor and upgraded fuel components, then the PowerLab GT35R Turbo Kit is the kit for you."
Yes. We're familiar with that advertising statement and nobody is disputing it's existence. So what's your point of pasting it here?

Quick Reply: Powerlab 35R kit will not make 500 HP