Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

water injection nozzle installed pre MAF. who has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:36 AM
onevq35de

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
yeah i am tucked. Also my threads suck now due to photobucket bullcrap.

You can relieve the pressure before busting the system by pulling the pump fuse and then cranking a few times. When done, put the fuse back in. Turn the ignition on/off a few times (closed system so you wont get all the air out) and then crank.

Car may run a bit rough initially.
Thank you very much for that. Couldn't find a straight forward answer. I read part of your diy tuck earlier today. Damn, I wish I saw your diy before I did mine. A little different I'm sure, but not much other than the FX needing to extend many wires which by the way was a pain in the ***.
I'm glad BSDE and I didn't blow u up and **** you off trying to defend Mr. oldmanz. By the way, you had a vortech. I'm surprised you were/are unfamiliar with his setup.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

nah its all good.

I pulled my vortech 8 years ago....been a while. I don't keep up with his build that much except to know its a fast stock block setup. I was just joking around. Others have pushed the vortech further on built motors.

For extensions what I did was i bought a 2nd harness. Cut it up as needed so that there is only a single splice and the wire colors stayed the same. you can essentially double a length.

I had to shorten a bunch. as well.
The following users liked this post:
onevq35de (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 01:40 PM
onevq35de

I didn't shorten anything. Got 3 separate looms behind and under the plenum. I feared elongating them too much or shortening them might create an issue.
Here's a link to much of the work I've done to my tank so far should anyone find themselves short of entertainment whilst on the throne; https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...-redux.230572/
Anyone reading this could use my diy to fill in some of the blanks in cux350z's diy thanks to photophockit.

Last edited by onevq35de; 11-28-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:19 PM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by bealljk
If the FX is 70lbs than maybe...but 50 is a pretty big number - maybe there's other deductions were not considering.

How would you size a 350z cf drive shaft to a FX if they're different sizes?

it may twist but you'll never notice it ... if you have chips or any damage to the CF it'll shatter in torsion (it's how I almost got a DUI)

post #321
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...n-build-7.html

no issues with the battery and I run a 40amp alternator as well. With that being said, I am only running 1/3rd of the cars factory electrical draw.

TSW Indy 500 - 57lb fronts / 64lb rears = 242lbs
Enkei RPF1s 44lbs each = 176lbs
Read your thread on **********. I'm imagining a guy holding a steering wheel sitting on a milk crate that's bungie-corded to a frame attached to a few wheels. That's nutz. I could drop all that and still be bloated. What's your 1/4?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:07 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

^ you just described me in my car ... except it not a milk crate ... those are too heavy ... dirty sofa cushion I found on the road.

the main drag strip here is closed or I'd go get a few pulls in ... with that being said...I need to add meth (in-process bc your crazy *** decided to bump this thread!!), new tires, retune, and I got another 60lbs I could drop relatively easily...if I had $500 right now.

anyone know of a decent app that will GPS your 1/4??
onevq35de (12-04-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:20 PM
onevq35de

If you check out my thread https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...-redux.230572/ and go to the last page, you'll see what I've been using. Scanguage 2. Based on my kill list and my 0-60 times when bone stock and now, I think it's very accurate but only registers every 2/10ths of a second. Don't laugh at my times either! Stock, this pig supposedly runs a 15.7.

Last edited by onevq35de; 11-29-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:42 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

something is up with your link

is scangauge an app or a tool/program??
Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 AM
onevq35de

something is up with your link

is scangauge an app or a tool/program??
Odd. I edited it so try it again or google shift **** redux or bypass all my stupid b.s. and
put scanguage 2 in your search engine. Cheap device ($125?) that I had before I decided to keep the FX and mod it. Plugs into the ecu port. Doesn't look high tech but it works. Boost, AFR, water temps, timing, 0-60, 1/8, 14 mile times, 0-whatever mph time, 60-0 braking time, scan for codes, erase said codes, bla bla bla.

Last edited by onevq35de; 11-29-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 AM
onevq35de

The water injection pre-compressor should allow one to completely remove their i.c. taking all that weight off the very front of the car improving handling and lessening nose dive. No more i.c. piping so you'll get back that 1/2-1lb of boost lost and a faster response. I imagine there would be some experimentation with it but cux350z has apparently already done this so you can blow up his pm with questions. I'm kidding, but the info in that article leads you to Pro-Meth which is the name of the company as of last year.
I've got a silly little water/alcohol injection device that I run giving me better mileage and maybe a little more power at part throttle but it relies on vacuum, so no help at full throttle. My tailpipes stay noticeably cleaner, engine oil stays cleaner and I'm sure the internals stay cleaner.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:54 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

I still run an IC. Only run meth on high boost. Would be cool to eliminate that and just merge the turbos to a forward facing TB and custom manifold.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Cux350z
I still run an IC. Only run meth on high boost. Would be cool to eliminate that and just merge the turbos to a forward facing TB and custom manifold.
Ill probably keep my IC indefinitely ... I don't want to completely rely on the water/meth for cooling as I may not always be running it.

But that would be **** ... not to mention take 25lbs off the front of the car! boner!

Last edited by bealljk; 11-29-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:06 AM
onevq35de

I'd just make sure to get a top-notch pump, one that's proven, use only distilled water and figure out a fail safe that should the shat hit the fan with the injection, you go straight to limp mode. Once you've run that setup for awhile & have confidence in it, you could add a completely separate unit w/injector(s) at the manifold with water & meth or alcohol or just tap into the existing unit to add injectors to the manifold and start adding meth or alchy.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^I don't disagree with you but there will be times when I don't want to spray, the tank is empty, or I'm driving somewhere at minimal engine load ... I just want the flexibility of having it when I want and having the ability to run without it.

but I hear what youre saying ... I bought a (used) AEM kit and will dab my toe in it ... Once I get more comfortable with it, I'll look into a higher end, absolute reliable(new) kit and go further down this path...God Bless America!
Old 11-29-2017, 10:42 AM
onevq35de

^I don't disagree with you but there will be times when I don't want to spray, the tank is empty, or I'm driving somewhere at minimal engine load ... I just want the flexibility of having it when I want and having the ability to run without it.

but I hear what youre saying ... I bought a (used) AEM kit and will dab my toe in it ... Once I get more comfortable with it, I'll look into a higher end, absolute reliable(new) kit and go further down this path...God Bless America!
You should be able to have it spray a certain amount at a given rpm, from idle all the way through wot. If you have it spray only at wot your temps in the summer will be sky high and the ecu won't have time to compensate when you get on it. It takes a few minutes of good throttle to cool it all down. Timings pulled and FX felt sluggish. If you're using MAP like cux350z I think is, I don't know. Don't know anything beyond MAF but temps crepe up at idle 50+ degrees in the summer from cruising to sitting for a minute or 2. I paid a lot of attention to this this summer with my scanguage and this is in part why I have a 4" intake and my cheezy yet effective prototype heat shield. I'm also going for tomei headers and wrapping'em or found a cool but pricey heat blanket that I can install after the headers are in. I figure I'm loosing 15-20+ hp/tq when heat soaked and you compressor guys must be loosing more. Probably a lot more.

Last edited by onevq35de; 11-29-2017 at 10:44 AM.
BluestreamDE (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 11:13 AM
BluestreamDE

Received 289 Likes on 232 Posts

Centri blowers get hot, well mine does (V3 self contained oil) and get easily heat soaked but I am usually 10-12° above ambient temps, and with my intercooler, add about 15° more going WOT at redline. I think just using a fine water spray pre-compressor would be a killer setup just thinking about it. And since Cux350z said he has no impeller damage, I may attempt something like this as well, but I will go with the TR1245 upgrade first and see how it does.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM
onevq35de

So what's your intake temps after idling for a few? On a 95* day here in the sweaty south (NC) while idling in a parking lot in the shade for a couple minutes, my iat's were 145-150*, no joke. Like you, I have an aluminum intake pipe which doesn't help. No supercharger on the other end though. My air was being drawn in from the engine bay as this was before the heat shield. I imagine with a supercharger, just sitting, the ic is fairly useless unless you've got a fan setup to draw the air through. I suppose if it's close enough, the radiator fans might pull some air through. Then things cool down after driving for a few. After the heat shield, iat's dropped much quicker and never got quite as high at idle but still pretty shitty.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:14 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I tested pre-turbo methanol injection and it added zip to the dyno. No longer have the details but pretty sure I posted on it in like 2009. Variances were within those expected across dyno runs. It was switched on/off from the cabin so did over a dozen runs off and on. Zippo. I removed my pre-turbo injection nozzles (twin 3 mm jets). The post-compressor injection has a much greater impact as it drops temps to 10-20 degrees below ambient (vs 10-15 degrees above ambient with just an IC).
bealljk (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rcdash
I tested pre-turbo methanol injection and it added zip to the dyno.
what fuel were you using?

Last edited by bealljk; 11-29-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 PM
onevq35de

Originally Posted by rcdash
I tested pre-turbo methanol injection and it added zip to the dyno. No longer have the details but pretty sure I posted on it in like 2009. Variances were within those expected across dyno runs. It was switched on/off from the cabin so did over a dozen runs off and on. Zippo. I removed my pre-turbo injection nozzles (twin 3 mm jets). The post-compressor injection has a much greater impact as it drops temps to 10-20 degrees below ambient (vs 10-15 degrees above ambient with just an IC).
That's a bummer. Gotta wonder what cux350z did right and you or your shop did wrong or maybe some b.s. part(s)? This pre-compressor injection just makes sense so I searched until I found a seemingly intelligent person who made a good argument for it and finally found it. Now I need to find out if pre-maf minus compressor will be ok to cool the iat's. I'm gonna call this Rodney cat thurs or fri and get the low-down, or is it down-low?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:22 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

It could mean a few things ... RC may have been using a very stable fuel (such as 110, e85, etc) where he reached his maximum torque output before fuel knock.

His fuel was so stable that when he added meth/water it didnt matter bc his engine wasnt prone to detonation due to a very high octane rating.

Despite us all having VQs each is different - we're at different climates, different compression ratios, different fuels, different tuning methods, different different different ...

I respect what both Cux & RC have mentioned but at the end of the day you have to experiment with your engine to get the best result.

Edit:
RC Top 50 FI is #8, 864hp/700t at 23psi on E85 ...
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...p-50-list.html

I suspect when RC did this he was using E85 which didnt benefit from meth - is this the case RC?

Last edited by bealljk; 11-29-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: water injection nozzle installed pre MAF. who has done it?